Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The hitting has gone past small sample size excuses and is a problem

e: but actually the bullpen is pissing me off even more so that's good

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Just the closers though, right?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm still not worrying. The offense is not clicking and is consistently down from last season. We're still 10-6 despite this, with the rotation look as advertised if not better. I still think we're the team to beat in the AL West.

Look at the Dodgers as an example of a time to start really worrying.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mods please change the thread title please

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Astro Lounge: the hits stop coming and they don't start coming

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Something to enjoy, anyway

quote:

Of note is Gerrit Cole, who struck out 14 batters on Friday, giving him 36 K's for the season. That's the most by any pitcher in his first three games with a team since the mound was moved to its current distance in 1893, according to Elias Sports Bureau research.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Bats dead so what

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

what is this offense you speak of

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Need an av of the entire team surrounded by empty champagne bottles with everyone holding ice packs to their heads :v:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
So our new jam is just stranding Runners on base huh

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

So it's still early but who's vastly underperformed so far? My vote goes to Gattis.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Marisnick Mariswhiff

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Marisnick Mariswhiff

At least he plays defense and has hit a couple of home runs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Springer

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Make sure you catch Evan Gattis brain farting into the dumbest triple play you've ever seen

e:
https://twitter.com/BenDuBose/status/987069332235718663

e2: also while I'm here the underperformer for me is Marisnick who couldn't even lay down a bunt today

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 19, 2018

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

So our new jam is just stranding Runners on base huh

The RISP jam is an old Astros Easter egg. If they strand enough runners in a game Jim Edmonds will appear and jack a three run homer.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Astros... Good again?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Kirios posted:

Astros... Good again?

No. Mariners.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Astros still good, but also Mariners

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

No Safe Word posted:

Astros still good, but also Mariners

White Sox too

But that's why they're called slump busters, as if playing .667 ball is a slump

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Our opponents so far this year are the Rangers, Os, Twins, Mariners, White Sox, and Padres who are all probably bad except maybe the Twins. It's upsetting for different reasons but the offensive improvement the last week is real.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Our starting pitching this year is so much better and it owns

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Our starting pitching is 100% legitimate. However, I'm being cautious about how good the team truly is until we start facing serious competition. Lets be honest, the Astros should beat up on teams like the Mariners and the White Sox. We're about to hit a month-long stretch where we play two series with the Angels, two with the Yankees, two with the Indians, one with the Diamondbacks and one with the Red Sox. Come June 4th we'll have a much, much better idea of where the Astros truly stand.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

congrats on winning the world series.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
:3:

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/987881145407885312

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
27-2 in a 3 game series. HR from the DH, Marwin hitting a couple of ground rule doubles, and the non-Fisher/Marisnick lineup is hitting very well. Oh, and our starting pitching is ridiculous.

Looking forward to the first real test of the season against the Angels to see if this team is for real or just beating up on lovely teams.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Man the AL West course corrected so fast I think I have whiplash

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Man the AL West course corrected so fast I think I have whiplash

Thanks Red Sox!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sab0921 posted:

27-2 in a 3 game series. HR from the DH, Marwin hitting a couple of ground rule doubles, and the non-Fisher/Marisnick lineup is hitting very well. Oh, and our starting pitching is ridiculous.

Looking forward to the first real test of the season against the Angels to see if this team is for real or just beating up on lovely teams.

Good teams should beat up on lovely teams, though. Those are the games they're supposed to win

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

The Astros are dead again.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh hey good to know the offense sucks again!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

The bottom of the lineup is a real problem.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Crush (my hopes) City

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
This thread's gonna be a rollercoaster all season huh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pretty cool how Joe Smith turned from elite to garbage the second he became an Astro, as is the fate of any free agent bullpen pitcher they sign

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Got two free tickets for tomorrow's day game for anyone who wants them - send me a PM - if no one responds by the morning, I'll give them to someone else.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Hey so I know we don't have the league's best record but I want to point out that as we near the end of April, the Astros are playing .643 baseball and have the league's best run differential, and are 4th in total runs scored and have the best pitching in the AL, with a combined ERA of 2.63 and an AL-leading 280 strikeouts.

What I'm saying is, it's OK to feel alright about the team so far this season

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's hard to be that upset about a team that is 19-10 and is actually outperforming their record. Sure, you wish a few players were playing better than they are, but eh, the Astros are once again going to be one of the 2-3 best teams in the league.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Marwin isn't having the contract year I was hoping for, and I'd be glad he's tanking his value if not for the fact that they'll probably let him walk anyway and, you know, they need him to play well this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
This got lost in the N/V thread for April so I'm gonna cross-/re-post it here.

Intruder posted:

It feels like the Astros have struggled this year so it's weird that they have the third best record in baseball. If the bats ever fully wake up, hoo boy

I'm not sure this is a real problem, nor that I'd say the team is "struggling." Through 29 games, the team has scored more runs than last year, and also has a significantly better run differential.

On the whole, there are probably two reasons you feel this way--the first is because several specific players have hit fewer dingers than last year--Altuve is only on pace for 11 HRs right now, but is batting .347 with an OPS above his career average. Springer on the other hand is on pace for 32 HRs, in-line with last year's 34 total and Correa's on pace for 22, in-line with last year's 24. Springer's doing slightly worse this year in OBP/OPS, while Correa is playing about as well as he did last season. Bregman's only on pace for 5 HRs (he hit 11 last year), but he's getting on base more.

And the second is because our SLG percentage is in-fact down compared to last season's full totals (though again, remember that we did not start white-hot)--.752 OPS so far this season vs .823 for all of last season. The flipside is that so far we've been grounding into double plays at a lower rate this season (0.72 per game so far vs. 0.86 last year) and our on-base percentage is pretty much unchanged (.340 this year vs .346 for all of last season).

Really I think it's going to boil down to what you think is/is not sustainable, both from last year and this year. It's pretty likely we'll see Altuve return to form as the season goes on, and I think we'll start seeing more dingers, but I don't think it's likely we're going to match last year's HR rate (1.47 vs. 1.1 so far this year). But again, most of that increased production happened later in the season, so there's still lots of time for us to catch up.

So yeah, I think Altuve will bust out of his slump, but I wouldn't say the team has struggled. and our starting pitching got way better--Verlander, Cole, and Morton have been lights-out (I suspect Keuchel will lower his ERA a bit, but we'll see). Try to be happy with the team being "just" one of the best in baseball :P

e: Also goddamn look at that

e2: Because I can't help myself, I'll also point out that this isn't a problem that is isolated to the Astros, who I maintain are still doing very well:
https://twitter.com/jareddiamond/status/990970089758437376

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 1, 2018

• Locked thread