Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RealFoxy posted:

This is Big News! One Piece Spoilers for the new chapter:

As Pokems is about to be killed by the Big Mom pirates, a figure in the shadows saves his life as a full moon is shown

Hmmmm, I didn't actually see this and even rereading the chapter I don't see any full moon or Pekoms. What page is this supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i actually think zou through to the current chapter has been.....incredible!!!!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
who else is excited for wano

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Just three years until we see an emperor go down; I shall gird my loins in anticipation.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

God what a lovely chapter. I hope Sanji and Pudding can be happy eventually once Big Mom is out of the picture but for now that was a lovely ending to their arc. :unsmith:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can't wait for Jimbei to show up in Wano and then immediately return to his home planet

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Asuron posted:

So, are the many, many people here who insisted that Big Mom goes down this arc, wiih half the crew and almost no allies , willing to concede defeat? Hard not to gloat, but cmon how anyone thought that was going to be the case when the characters outright say they're going to run multiple times is beyond me

I will still stubbornly hold on to Blackbeard showing up because Germa and Jinbei still need an escape route. A 3-way fight between Luffy, Mom and Kaidou on Wano sounds way better tho.

e: Missed opportunity the 4/20 chapter doesn't have a WEEEEEDing cake panel

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the sa forums might die before the cerberus fruit is revealed ......

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Hmmmm, I didn't actually see this and even rereading the chapter I don't see any full moon or Pekoms. What page is this supposed to be?

It didn't happen.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ahh this is like when they put fake situations in the freddy pharkus answer guide

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I didn't see it either, I think it was a weird translation issue with the spoilers where the dog and cat showed up in shadows and they mentioned a full moon from another pannel

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that was a cool arc and i only really have two gripes and they might be like skypeia where the arc fitting into the greater story makes more and more sense as time goes on

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Also lol at how hosed some thugs were scarring the face of one of Big Mom's children

yea that part seemed like a really stupid idea no matter how you look at it

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea that part seemed like a really stupid idea no matter how you look at it

To be fair, given how long ago this was, Big Mom may not have really been infamous yet.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I get the impression that so long as they're not trying to disobey, betray her, or flee, Big Mom doesn't really care what happens to her kids

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

To be fair, given how long ago this was, Big Mom may not have really been infamous yet.

maybe she wasn't a yonko but she was definitely a big name bounty

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I get the impression that so long as they're not trying to disobey, betray her, or flee, Big Mom doesn't really care what happens to her kids

She cares so much as in that they remain useful to her. That's why she dotes on Pudding so much, her power makes her insanely useful. So she cares about her kids in the same way you care about your hammer: You don't want it break, because then you'd have to get a new hammer.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope Brulee, Katakuri, and Pudding join the Strawhats so they can be part of a real family.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Brulee and Katakuri :unsmith:

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The tradition of making One Piece villains sympathetic and likable continues. I hope we get a katakuri cover arc at some point.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The tradition of making One Piece villains sympathetic and likable continues. I hope we get a katakuri cover arc at some point.

He only used a few panels to do it too which is really impressive. Other manga would have taken several chapters to make the same point.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

he definitely did it over many chapters, maybe not always explicitly

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

oddium posted:

he definitely did it over many chapters, maybe not always explicitly

Brulee def got the quick turn around though. It's also nice to see Oda give some pathos to a female character that isn't just generic-nami faced hot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Lil' Dogtooth ftw

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Brulee def got the quick turn around though. It's also nice to see Oda give some pathos to a female character that isn't just generic-nami faced hot.

i think the coolest part is brulee was kind of the catalyst for everything going wrong for big mom but katakuri didnt give a poo poo about that and was cool with his sister

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Li'l Katakuri and Brulee are adorable :3:

It's absolutely not gonna happen, but based on the song and how ominous Big Mom looked, I half expect her to suck up the souls of everyone in the whole archipelago. Only Katakuri and Brulee survive, because they're in the mirror world.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Begemot posted:

Li'l Katakuri and Brulee are adorable :3:

It's absolutely not gonna happen, but based on the song and how ominous Big Mom looked, I half expect her to suck up the souls of everyone in the whole archipelago. Only Katakuri and Brulee survive, because they're in the mirror world.

everyone except jinbei, you mean

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

So like, pretty hype a f that Zeus is still with Nami.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

rannum posted:

everyone except jinbei, you mean

Natch, he's already demonstrated immunity to Soul Pocus.

Jinbe is gonna survive the whole series and end up being the narrator.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Soul Power's only effective if Big Mom succeeds on her Intimidation check

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

maybe she wasn't a yonko but she was definitely a big name bounty

And people might not have recognised her kids on sight, even if she was already infamous.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The moment between Brulee and Katakuri is all the better just because the One Piece zaniness is completely gone; they look like real people with real emotions, expressions and unspoken understanding, like their cartoonish villainy is an act that they can switch off for a bit.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Did you not see Big Mom's entire flashback arc?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

TheLoneStar posted:

Did you not see Big Mom's entire flashback arc?

they said someone NOT hot !!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not sure if Big Mom's flashback lent her pathos, because she seemed to be a complete psychopath from the beginning.

Baby Brulee was cute as a button and a decent person, and the only real dark spot was the whole threatening to mutilate Nami thing.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm not sure if Big Mom's flashback lent her pathos, because she seemed to be a complete psychopath from the beginning.

Baby Brulee was cute as a button and a decent person, and the only real dark spot was the whole threatening to mutilate Nami thing.
I know I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for her. It's clear, at least at first, she didn't hurt people on purpose. She was either too naive to understand or in a hunger frenzy where she can't tell friend from foe and right from wrong. Then that rear end in a top hat chef showed up and set her down the path to being the Big Mom we know today. I'm not saying she's innocent or anything, but there's clearly a lot of genuine mental issues and outside corruption going on in her life and that's why she's such a monster.

And is it me, or was the pacing off the arc a bit off in places? I liked it overall, it had a lot of great moments, but at times it almost felt it was going too slow and too fast at the time time. Anyone else feel this?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Arist posted:

Yeah, that seems like an appropriate sendoff for Pudding.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but it seems like she'll probably come back at some point to be part of Sanji's happy ending. She was written too much as a great match for him, after all.

Count me among those that thought they'd get cornered and persevere beating Big Ma- as that's what good guys do in these things. Real real curious how this gets resolved or how her and her crew will come back into the story. Will be a bummer if she just gets offed by Black Beard or something similar.

The Ethos in Brules scene is masterful.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 21, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Luffy needs to fight Big Mom for control of Fishman Island, no way she gets punked by someone else

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RuBisCO posted:

So like, pretty hype a f that Zeus is still with Nami.

I didn't see him in the last chapter, though, so I'm curious where Nami has him stashed away.

But yeah Big Mom has only had Prometheus for a while now, and that's super interesting. The Straw Hats have not only taken Sanji back, gotten a rubbing of the Poneglyth, destroyed their main base and defeated their most powerful commander, but they've also taken a piece of Big Mom's soul.

And it only cost a Pedro. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

worth