Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Just got an email from iinet, offering me a $65 refund because the ACCC have determined that my previous FTTN service was only capable of 98.7mb/sec, instead of the advertised 100mb/sec

Never mind that the peak congestion actually resulted in a 40mb/sec service during most common use periods, no lets worry about a <2% speed deficit on entirely useless maximum attainable speed ratings.

I for one am thrilled that the ACCC are probably going to bankrupt smaller operaters for the crime of *shock* reselling the speed tiers that NBN co sold them.

(I'm still going to take the loving money because TPG are loving vultures, oversold the poo poo out of my area, and also refused to offer a 50/20 speed tier which was supposed to be part of the basic NBN co model, instead forcing me to pay 25/month more or drop down to an ADSL2+ speed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
>ahem< As a former, disgraced Centrelink worker, I'd like to weigh in on the debate by pointing out - Oh, we've moved on? sorry

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
are you in a regional or urban area because tpg offer 50/20 out in the sticks where I am but that may be penance for the fact that on adsl they couldn’t even offer more than 200 gigs a month out here

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

are you in a regional or urban area because tpg offer 50/20 out in the sticks where I am but that may be penance for the fact that on adsl they couldn’t even offer more than 200 gigs a month out here
Nah that's just because they had to resell Telstra Wholesale DSL ports out there.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Is it too early for fresh-in-our-memories.png?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah in regional areas where it's not viable to install hardware at the exchange tpg etc just buy the Telstra connections and you end up paying exactly the same as you would if you'd gone directly to Telstra with an additional layer of support thrown in.

You can't get their $69 unlimited data deals because Telstra doesn't sell the wholesale connections to them in anything less than what they already offer as retail. It's hosed.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I think iiNet/tpg offer 50/20 now, no doubt due to the ACCC finding against them.

Not offering the 50/20 plan is shameless price gouging. It literally cost them nothing to provide it as NBN handles that side of things - they just wanted everyone paying $25 a month for bandwidth they wouldn't need.

Edit: 25 a month MORE.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Here in Perth I've got TPG FTTB, the non-NBN one, and it's very good. Fibre to the MDF in the basement (I've seen the TPG cabinet in the rack, it's legit) and then VDSL2 over the internal wiring between the MDF and my apartment. I've had it for about 18 months now and haven't had a single issue. Also because it's not a regular POTS fixed-line service I don't have to switch to NBN when that is eventually rolled out.

IMO it's a good thing the ACCC didn't take action against TPG in 2014 when someone complained about them rolling their own FTTB service: https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/accc-not-to-take-action-to-block-tpgs-fibre-to-the-basement-network-rollout

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I have fibre to the home. Apart from TPG/internode being a little average during peak getting down to 70's on occasion (although nowhere near as bad as when it first happened) I am pretty happy with the unlimited 100/40 plan.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Apparently NBN co have quietly made major changes to the way CVC is charged for, essentially making it 50% cheaper, and improving supply to the point that Aussie Broadband are talking about introducijg unlimited plans for the first time in may.

So congestion on TPG services should rightly be down - it's just be a question of how long until their board insists they improve their profit margin and it all goes to poo poo again.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

This but unironically.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Where can I get a magically permasmoking bong like that?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Hi,

I know someone just mentioned being ex Centrelink and I'm sure others will know the answer regardless.

About meeting the work related activity test of looking for work:
"Looking for work - customers receiving an activity tested payment such as Newstart Allowance or Parenting Payment do not automatically satisfy the test."

Does "looking for work" count if you're off-the-books at Centrelink, or will my partner have to actually go and get assessed for the dole so our family still meets the work test? We wouldprobably be eligible for some level of dole payment but he doesn't want the headache that goes with it. If just saying "I'm looking for work" doesn't meet the work test I'm going to have to force him to sign on at an already poo poo time for us.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

G-Spot Run posted:

Hi,

I know someone just mentioned being ex Centrelink and I'm sure others will know the answer regardless.

"Looking for work - customers receiving an activity tested payment such as Newstart Allowance or Parenting Payment do not automatically satisfy the test."

Does "looking for work" count if you're off-the-books at Centrelink, or will my partner have to actually go and get assessed for the dole so our family still meets the work test? We wouldprobably be eligible for some level of dole payment but he doesn't want the headache that goes with it. If just saying "I'm looking for work" doesn't meet the work test I'm going to have to force him to sign on at an already poo poo time for us.
The "looking for work" part of things is basically jumping through a JSA's hoops while not actually doing anything conducive to gaining employment and then noting down X amount of jobs you've applied for in a fortnight.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

G-Spot Run posted:

Hi,

Have to be on the books, income/asset tested and linked in with a jobsearch provider doing whatever they get you to sign an agreement for unless you have some exemption like a medical certificate or something to get any activity tested payments. Normally agreements want you to show evidence you have looked for x jobs per fortnight/month or force you to go to a work for the dole activity.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I naively went into centrelink knowing I wouldn't have qualified for anything at the time looking for work. Got told to gently caress off pretty fast, because there is no incentive to help people who don't qualify for payments.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Zenithe posted:

I naively went into centrelink knowing I wouldn't have qualified for anything at the time looking for work. Got told to gently caress off pretty fast, because there is no incentive to help people who don't qualify for payments.

Yup in the old CES days when the office was quiet noone cared if people came in who weren't on payments and the materials were for anyone but now it's all outsourced and commission based you won't get the time of day unless they can get paid for it.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The payment estimator says we won't qualify for any payments (trying to save for a house we'll never be able to afford disqualifies us, lol) but we need to satisfy the work test of "looking for work". My 0.4 income is enough to take care of the household for a while while he finds his feet but not with extra on top. Am I going to have to call them and ask how he can prove he's looking for work without actually being on Centrelink, and in the process dob ourselves in to someone who doesn't have time for our bourgie problems?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
nothing to seehere

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 21, 2018

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Also any JSA that does help you find employment is only putting you in a position they know you won't be in for more than the minimum time for them to get their bonus so you end up back on their books again.

The rest will just make you do meaningless courses on how to make word resumes or look for jobs on their ten year old Win XP computers (that are probably being used to mine marginal amounts of bitcoin).

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Gone.

naeka fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 21, 2018

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Oh thank god. Thank you. Can I ask a favour and edit your post while I go get mine also.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

Also any JSA that does help you find employment is only putting you in a position they know you won't be in for more than the minimum time for them to get their bonus so you end up back on their books again.

The rest will just make you do meaningless courses on how to make word resumes or look for jobs on their ten year old Win XP computers (that are probably being used to mine marginal amounts of bitcoin).

Capitalism rules.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A return to pragmatic conservatism — of the sort popularised by Jordan Peterson — may be the Libs’ best hope of survival.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/224723751504326658

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:getin:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Is this supposed to be a thing that will scare people?

Oh wait, they're writing this for their mates.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Why does the arse keep trying to convince me to vote Labor?

EDIT: Imagine being so inside your own fart huffing bubble that you could write this as anything but a pro-shorten line.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

I don't understand what this cartoon is depicting.

ed. wait I just saw what was written on the bong, I understand now. Thank you for your patience.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 21, 2018

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

If this is supposed to scare me it’s not working.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
DOG NEWS DOG NEWS DOG NEWS DOG NEWS DOG NEWS
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-21/max-blue-heeler-leads-rescuers-to-missing-girl-night-in-bush/9683494

quote:

An old blue heeler named Max remained by the side of a three-year-old girl and led searchers to her after she spent more than 15 hours lost in rugged bushland on Queensland's Southern Downs overnight.
Aurora was reported missing about 3:00pm yesterday after she wandered off on her own, but a search of woodlands and hills on the rural property in wet weather last night found no trace of her.
This morning, more than 100 State Emergency Service (SES) volunteers, police and members of the public resumed the search and found the girl safe and well with Max the dog at 8:00am.
For his good work in keeping the little girl safe, Max has now been declared an honorary police dog.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Good dog, but what the gently caress is that around it's neck.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

That reminds me a supposed unionist on one other forum I'm on unironically recommended Jordan Peterson to leftists.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zenithe posted:

Good dog, but what the gently caress is that around it's neck.

It's a d-shackle, how else you gonna moor your dog?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

For your service we've named you an honorary class traitor

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

JBP posted:

Where can I get a magically permasmoking bong like that?

If I was a religious man I'd say heaven.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

I was thinking of voting Greens this next election but this is almost convincing me to vote Labor. drat you Anidav and your sweet Labor siren songs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is that an actual tweet that presumably got/will be taken down because of unwanted positive reactions?

• Locked thread