Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Glass of Milk posted:

I've earned so many currencies thanks I'll never use again. Some go in the wallet and some don't.

Warhorses, slottable armor, skirmishes, legendary items, epic battles, traits, light of whatchamacallit... They've either been abandoned or have changed tremendously over the years.

It's ok, but drat if it doesn't make it difficult to figure out what to do after a long break. I thought Mordor was top tier but now it's back to Erebor I guess?

Is slotted armor still a thing? All of my characters have a bunch of Essences sitting in their vaults, but I never seem to find any armor that actually uses them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Selachian posted:

Is slotted armor still a thing? All of my characters have a bunch of Essences sitting in their vaults, but I never seem to find any armor that actually uses them.

Yeah lot of the armor rewards from Gondor on have slots, though its probably not worth keeping low level essences around since they are going to be massively outclassed by ones you get in Mordor/Strongholds.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I'm a little surprised they didn't have some kind of essence combination system like the relic one.

It looks like there's a tremendous power inflation from lvl 105-115, so old essences are not gonna be too useful.

Since I don't own Mordor, I've been using t3 skirmishes to level. It's horrendous. The only redeeming factor is they're relatively quick. Epic battles might give better rewards but they are so time consuming. I can run skirms three times in the same time as a single epic.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Glass of Milk posted:

I'm a little surprised they didn't have some kind of essence combination system like the relic one.

It looks like there's a tremendous power inflation from lvl 105-115, so old essences are not gonna be too useful.

Since I don't own Mordor, I've been using t3 skirmishes to level. It's horrendous. The only redeeming factor is they're relatively quick. Epic battles might give better rewards but they are so time consuming. I can run skirms three times in the same time as a single epic.

Now that featured instances can drop first age symbols there's no real need for epic battles once you're done with your quest and deed needs, as far as unlocking featured instances goes: You just need the quest pack (or vip) for the region that instance is based in

Not sure how much more exp the featured instances are compared to skirmishes, but they're rotated on a list and have better loot in every way

And you can turn essence into 'malleable shadow essence' to barter and craft with, but only the best 3? ranks of 115 essence are eligible.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 12, 2018

gang control
Nov 1, 2007
what a thing to say at the table
Jumped on Landroval and I'm now level 20 -- really enjoying the game. Quick question though:

How the hell do I buy this game? I don't care (that much) about the money, I just want to make sure I'm not dicking myself and buying stuff I don't need. I'm guessing the expansions are necessary, but it looks like that's $150 for all of them; is that really the best deal? Then there's Skirmish packs which are another decent chunk of change on top of that, but I don't even know what a Skirmish is at this point.

I feel like this game needs an FAQ for how to buy it responsibly. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've heard about mega sales on Steam but I'm enjoying it too much to wait around in F2P purgatory for a deal.

Edit: A kindly stranger pointed out the Quad Pack, which doesn't seem to be on the main page for some reason. Still would love some other guidance on what's worth buying and when, though.

gang control fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 12, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

gang control posted:

Jumped on Landroval and I'm now level 20 -- really enjoying the game. Quick question though:

How the hell do I buy this game? I don't care (that much) about the money, I just want to make sure I'm not dicking myself and buying stuff I don't need. I'm guessing the expansions are necessary, but it looks like that's $150 for all of them; is that really the best deal? Then there's Skirmish packs which are another decent chunk of change on top of that, but I don't even know what a Skirmish is at this point.

I feel like this game needs an FAQ for how to buy it responsibly. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've heard about mega sales on Steam but I'm enjoying it too much to wait around in F2P purgatory for a deal.

Edit: A kindly stranger pointed out the Quad Pack, which doesn't seem to be on the main page for some reason. Still would love some other guidance on what's worth buying and when, though.

Since the first expansion pack (Moria) begins around level 50, the best thing for a new player is to either grind out lotro points if you consider your time to be worth about 20 cents an hour, or to just buy the monthly fee subscription called VIP. It goes on sale a few times a year but the base price is $15 a month, $99 a year, often it's $30 for 3 months and around holidays it even goes to $80 or so for a year.

You get 500 lotro points per month while subscribed, can access your mail anywhere, all quest packs remain unlocked while VIP, the list goes on. Basically every perk except for expansion packs. So while you're in your first month of VIP, make 4 or 5 characters with names you like and classes/races you think you might want to play, and make sure to log into each of them once so they're permanently marked as "not a gold spammer or person who gave us nothing". They won't have a gold cap so I can mail you gold, you'll have more inventory space on every character. There's a lot of small perks I'm forgetting, VIP characters also just do a quest at level 15? or 20 to get their first mount instead of paying lotro points to unlock it.

Once you're level 48 or so you either buy Moria for 20 bucks or wait til the summer sale and get it for 5. Let me know your character names if you want an invite to the kin and some help.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Heh, that's by the far the most common question that everyone always asks and that we've been over a billion times - so don't feel lost about that, it gets everyone that plays this game.

Here's my advice:

1. Don't think OH MAN I HAVE TO BUY ALL THE CONTENT RIGHT NOW. That's the wrong attitude for this game.
2. Take your time, read some quest text, collect your bear asses, soak in the atmosphere. That's where the game shines.
3. Go VIP for a month. If you think you might like other classes, go ahead and create them during this one month of VIP
4. Either buy riding or make sure you do the quest to unlock riding ASAP (it's either level 10 or 20, either way, you're there now). If someone else says this works differently now, listen to them, I went through this part years ago.
5. Buy the barter wallet.

So, you're now chilling, enjoying the game, on your month of VIP. Continue on your merry way, quest in whatever zones you feel like that are level appropriate. Take it as it comes. Once VIP drops off, you have a choice:

-Stay VIP at the standard $15/month or whatever. Content packs are "free" while you're VIP. Stay this way until you hit Moria.
-Let VIP lapse, start buying content packs as you get to them.

Which way is better? It depends on how you want to play. How fast are you going through the content? Do you plan on doing EVERY quest (like I did because I'm crazy) or EVERY task? If you're speeding through zones and leaving when you can, VIP might make more sense. If you want to 100% that poo poo, buying the content might make more sense.

Now that those things are out of the way - how to actually buy this responsibly:

-Keep an eye out for Steam sales
-Keep an eye out for LOTRO sales, including sales on LOTRO bucks
-When an awesome sale happens, scoop it up!
-If you get to content that you haven't yet bought, just buy the minimum you need to continue on. Take advantage of poo poo like the Expansion quad pack and what not, though.
-If you're about to buy some stuff, and a big holiday is nearing, waiting a few days / a week isn't the worst idea.

Overall though, really, just chill and enjoy the game, soak it in, and don't stress because OH MAN I COULD'VE SAVED $3 or something.

Also, the LOTRO wiki is still an awesome resource. Here's a handy link right to the expansion and quest content packs and poo poo: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store#Quests_.26_Content . Depending on what you're interested in, it may be cheaper sometimes. The Wiki will tell you what all is and is-not in each piece. For example, you may only want Moria Quests if you're never, ever going to gently caress with the new classes or the Skirmish max rank bump or whatever it is.

"But I'm poor and can't even afford to spend $1 on a game" then how to progress through LOTRO isn't your biggest problem right now. That said - keep creating newbie characters and doing the newbie zones for LOTRO points and use those points to buy poo poo at the most grindy way possible.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 12, 2018

gang control
Nov 1, 2007
what a thing to say at the table
Thanks guys. This is super helpful and definitely tells me what I need to know.

I'm on a Minstrel named Treyza; would love to join the Kin whenever I can.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If you have earned enough lotro points, the best first quest pack is Evendim, which can generally take you to level 40+. Because I'm a cheap masochist, I always take characters through there and then do epic quests/skirmishes/instances to get to 45 and then get to Moria.

The best cheapo (my specialty) way to do it is to subscribe, create 5 characters and level them to 20 to get the free riding skill, unsubscribe and then purchase the evendim pack with the 500 VIP points plus whatever you earned leveling your characters to 20 (even better if the quest pack is on sale). As you earn more TP, buy the wallet when it's on sale.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
You can buy a key for the Steely Dawn Pack for ~$3 and it includes Evendim. If you're not going to sub, playing free content to around level 30 and then buying Steely Dawn will get you 40ish when you finish Evendim. Then you can buy Angmar or Forochel with the points you'll naturally earn while leveling to bridge the gap to Moria.

Festivals/events are XP gold mines with quests that scale XP rewards to whatever your level is, and I actually went from 40-50 just doing event and ale/inn dailies over a couple weeks. Anniversary event is later this month, so there's that.

All that said, if you know you're going to sub eventually just do it now for a month and get the QOL unlocks sooner rather than later. I wish I had.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Quoting my own effortpost from a while back:

jalapeno_dude posted:

Yeah, to get content past the end of the Lone-lands (~level 30) and pre-Moria (level 50) you need to either subscribe or buy Quest Packs. I recommend resubbing now for a month to pick up premium status on that character, which unlocks all the VIP convenience features like fast-travel and persists even if you drop your subscription. While you're subscribed create 1 character of every class/race combo you plan on ever playing and log them in so they all have premium status. Whether it's worth subscribing beyond that month depends on your playstyle: buying the Quest Packs for TP gives you access to them forever on all of your characters, vs. subbing which only gives you access while you're actually subbed. You can pick up all of the Eriador quest packs for 3995 TP, which works out to around the cost of a 3-month subscription.

If you already have a character with premium status you want to play, you can easily get a month of content for less than a monthly subscription, so it's worth waiting to resub even if you ultimately plan on doing so. Instead, pick up Steely Dawn, on sale for $5 this weekend, which includes Evendim (the best sub-50 zone in the game) + 500 TP. Use those TP + 95 you earn from deeds (you'll pick up this amount of TP without any effort by the time you hit level 30) to buy one more quest pack for 595 TP. Then you don't need to resub until ~level 40 which will almost certainly take you at least a month to get to. The Epic Story takes you Lonelands -> North Downs -> Trollshaws -> Misty Mountains. If you're following the Epic Story I recommend buying North Downs. At the end of North Downs head directly to Aragorn in Rivendell once you're directed there, ignoring the Trollshaws content for now. Then pick up the quest from Aragorn to head to Evendim and do that zone. If you're not following the Epic Story consider just skipping North Downs and heading directly to Evendim; then buy either Trollshaws or Misty Mountains depending on how overlevelled you are coming out of Evendim.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Can you still buy that pack? I don't see it on Steam anymore.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

Can you still buy that pack? I don't see it on Steam anymore.

Looks like it got taken off Steam entirely (it used to show up in my DLC list for the game). g2a is selling it for $4.39 but no guarantees on it actually still working!

https://www.g2a.com/en-us/the-lord-of-the-rings-online-steely-dawn-starter-pack-key-steam-global-i10000043399003

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Lum_ posted:

Looks like it got taken off Steam entirely (it used to show up in my DLC list for the game). g2a is selling it for $4.39 but no guarantees on it actually still working!

https://www.g2a.com/en-us/the-lord-of-the-rings-online-steely-dawn-starter-pack-key-steam-global-i10000043399003

Too bad they pulled it. It wasn't bad for the price and the cosmetic armor from it's pretty.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Interview from today - http://www.mmo-central.com/2018/04/17/pax-east-interviewing-lotros-rob-severlin-ciccolini/
More of a casual interview but they lay out plans going forward. Should be a producers letter with the launch of the anniversary with more details about class balance changes and the road forward.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Fried Sushi posted:

Interview from today - http://www.mmo-central.com/2018/04/17/pax-east-interviewing-lotros-rob-severlin-ciccolini/
More of a casual interview but they lay out plans going forward. Should be a producers letter with the launch of the anniversary with more details about class balance changes and the road forward.

Thanks for posting, TLDR: Next up we go to the Grey Mountains. Shelob will be peaking around again I imagine in the black book quests, but the raid isn't this upcoming update. Class balances first. It will however have instanced content, I think it said 3 man. Good news for our casual kin.

Today marks 11 years of the game and in a few hours the anniversary event will begin. Haven't seen much leaked yet so we'll see tomorrow what the rewards are like. Good stuff.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I'm in as a hobbit hunter named Flyss. I'd love an invite to the kinship while I get to grips with this game so I can stash my crafting ingredients away. I noticed this game was made by the guys behind Dungeons and Dragons Online, which I have played in the past. I was going to try getting back into it but I noticed this game was also F2P so I decided to give it a whirl.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Reupped for the first time since last anniversary. All my characters are at 20 or so. Most have overleveled their quests but I'm playing for the story and exploring so it doesn't matter.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Elth posted:

I'm in as a hobbit hunter named Flyss. I'd love an invite to the kinship while I get to grips with this game so I can stash my crafting ingredients away. I noticed this game was made by the guys behind Dungeons and Dragons Online, which I have played in the past. I was going to try getting back into it but I noticed this game was also F2P so I decided to give it a whirl.

I find I enjoy LOTRO more than DDO, but then part of that could be I never quite clicked with the 3.? DDO uses. This one was easy to pick up for me and even with the class revisions, it was easy to get back in even if I hadn't logged on in forever. It's pretty much become my default goto for the fantasy genre MMOs same as Champions Online's my goto for my superhero itch.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I haven't played in a number of years, and I never made much progress when I did, but, I've been debating getting back into this.

My biggest question at the moment is, can you transmog weapons of one type into another?
Because I think the Beornin (sp?) look interesting, but I'm a sucker for 2H swords, which they don't appear to be able to equip, so if I could mog a club to look like a sword, that'd be convenient.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

the_steve posted:

I haven't played in a number of years, and I never made much progress when I did, but, I've been debating getting back into this.

My biggest question at the moment is, can you transmog weapons of one type into another?
Because I think the Beornin (sp?) look interesting, but I'm a sucker for 2H swords, which they don't appear to be able to equip, so if I could mog a club to look like a sword, that'd be convenient.

No swords for bears sorry, tried it last night. But my champion can use a unique two handed hammer from back in The Rift instead of his two handed axe. I think aside from the obvious one handers for one handers, two handers for two handers it also has to be a weapon your class is allowed to wield.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

extra stout posted:

No swords for bears sorry, tried it last night. But my champion can use a unique two handed hammer from back in The Rift instead of his two handed axe. I think aside from the obvious one handers for one handers, two handers for two handers it also has to be a weapon your class is allowed to wield.

Did you try to add a cosmetic skin or the actual weapon skin? I have had issues before where I have to move the item to my Wardrobe storage and equip it from there.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

extra stout posted:

You should be able to do it, but only if you're using a club.

Cosmetically, there's two main types of two handed weapons - gripped at the hilt (swords and clubs), and one hand near the head of the weapon and the other towards the base (halberds, hammers, and axes). You can cosmetically equip weapons with the same sort of grip. I think staffs are technically in the halberd, hammer, and axe category, but I don't think you can use a staff skin on them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Literally got lost in the Old Forest. :shepicide:

That hasn't happened to me since back when there was no map.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Dick Trauma posted:

Literally got lost in the Old Forest. :shepicide:

That hasn't happened to me since back when there was no map.

You're gonna enjoy Northern Mirkwood then.

Advice to anyone doing the new region: when you get to Felegoth a whole bunch of quests get dropped on you at once which take you to the south and west of the zone. You might want to consider doing the quests within Felegoth itself to taste, then doing the Black Book of Mordor quests only, taking the vector quest to Loeglond when it shows up, and only coming back to the Mirkwood quests after you've done the rest of the zone. The real heart of the update, besides the Black Book itself, is a giant quest chain that doesn't start until you get to Loeglond, and IMO that's where the story starts to get really interesting. There are also two solo instances at the end of the Mirkwood-specific quest chains (one in Tholkat, one in Caras Tilion) which can be really frustrating if you're not well-geared.

Overall, though, the story in the new zone was excellent (the quests in and around Dale and the last few quests of the Black Book are some of the best the game has ever had in terms of writing and theme), and outside of the aforementioned stuff in the west of Mirkwood the zone feels much less depressing than Mordor did. Note that there's also new episodic content being released weekly (which you can pick up once you've finished the zone) which has been really good so far.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
When transmogging items your class normally can't equip, I believe you have to have had another toon equip it before adding it to the shared wardrobe. Time for more alts.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Whoever told me the Trollshaws hadn't changed was lying. There's like a kabillion dailies lurking around in that forest.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The anniversary exploration quests are really good at taking up a bunch of time. Why can't I quick travel to Moria from Bree, ffs

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

One does not simply quick travel into Moria... :colbert:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Did they add a new Year 11 anniversary quest taking you to Mordor, Erebor, etc, or is the big scavenger hunt exactly the same as last year?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Brave New World posted:

Did they add a new Year 11 anniversary quest taking you to Mordor, Erebor, etc, or is the big scavenger hunt exactly the same as last year?

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Quest:The_Anniversary_Scavenger_Hunt_--_Year_Eleven

Doing all three gives a title. You can also immediately pick up any of the quests you missed last year.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Is it even possible to do the scavenger hunts if you're not max level? One of them requires you to kill things in the Dead Marshes, and for my 45 alt that doesn't seem possible...

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's enough of a pain at around max level. Having to run from all the mobs sounds worse.

You're better off doing the dailies to get anniversary coins.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 24, 2018

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
You can team up with higher level players for stuff like that. Lots of folks in LFF posting when they have openings, or you can always just ask.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.twitch.tv/lotrostream

11th anniversary stream is live, I just got home and have no idea if they already did giveaways or anything interesting yet, but I hope they did not

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I only caught a little, but they were talking about Rohan housing being planned so that's cool.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

the_steve posted:

You can cosmetically equip weapons, there are some limitations, like you can only see the cosmetic 2h sword if you are wielding a 2h weapon and you can't dual wield cosmetic weapons unless you can dual wield.

You can mostly go to town. For anyone with a rune-keeper that doesn't like to have a giant nutsack bulging on their leg, you can cosmetically equip a burglar legendary class item (there is no visual for it) and it will remove the giant nutsack.

You don't need to be able to use the cosmetic item, you will just need to have access to some shared wardrobe, you can plonk anything in there even if you can't use it and you can then shift from there to your character cosmetic outfit page.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have a dwarf wielding a beer stein.

Estel
May 4, 2010
My warden uses a trout, a pan or a beer stein depending on mood.
I need to find a good cosmetic shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Gone whole hog back into this game and I've been grinding Anniversary Tokens.

Sometimes I hate the fact that they're not account-wide.