Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Yeah this is where my viewpoint was from. We obviously have a poo poo load of problems, but it is comparatively safe, clean and pleasant.

Let's see how long that lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

I like Auckland but if you don't have a car and aren't right next to a major public transport route then good loving luck mate. And it has got a lot better in terms of culture, events, and food etc in the last decade though so if you think it's poo poo now, hoo boy. I still want to leave though.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
As a Chch resident, I can confirm that the city does exist and people do in fact live here. Not much else to say about it; it's a boring, flat, cold place.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

just saw an angry white man harass a homeless dude for being "from the islands, or Chinese" :shrug:

vv I know heaps of lovely Cantabrians yeah

The Schwa fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 21, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Rabbi T. White posted:

You also live in a city full of people from Christchurch. I'd rather have a 3 hour car-pool commute in a vehicle with the radio stuck on ZB at full volume than suffer through that.

Have you actually met anyone from chch? I grew up there and know lots of great people from there. A few cunts too but I dare say that chch people are on average much the same as people anywhere else!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
the worst thing about new zealand is not being able to play smaller online games because NZ gamers are normies who only play fifa and CoD

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Even in Australia or the States you'd have trouble finding players for your furry team-based shooter.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ghostlight posted:

Even in Australia or the States you'd have trouble finding players for your furry team-based shooter.

I'm gonna get that red panda skin one day....

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Wafflecopper posted:

Have you actually met anyone from chch? I grew up there and know lots of great people from there. A few cunts too but I dare say that chch people are on average much the same as people anywhere else!

It's, as has been explained to me in the past, the humor of this thread.

The reality is of course that since Kaye Sheppard and a few other troublemakers got together a couple of blocks from here, Christchurch has been a progressive hub. I mean our most recent mayoral election was between Lianne Dalziel and John Minto. Also Duncan Webb is shaping up to be pretty amazing too.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

But the previous mayor was Bob Parker. Also isn’t it the home of Kyle Chapman and his bunch of “Very fine people” as Trump would say.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I thought dunners and invercargill were the bigotry hubs?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Varkk posted:

But the previous mayor was Bob Parker. Also isn’t it the home of Kyle Chapman and his bunch of “Very fine people” as Trump would say.

Parker took advantage of a Christchurch, but I'd like to think that says more about his shitness than ours. We did sling him out hard once we actually got the chance after the main quake too.

Chapman moved down south from what I know, but yeah, New Zealand is kinda a lovely place in that way, but I don't think we stand out in any particular way anymore.

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 21, 2018

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

the worst thing about new zealand is not being able to play smaller online games because NZ gamers are normies who only play fifa and CoD

200 ping in any decent game of War Thunder or TF2

:smith:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah, I actually liked living in Christchurch. Overall it is a very welcoming and progressive city. Whenever the National Front did anything public they were always well outnumbered by protesters.

Nice summer days eating souvlaki in Cashel Mall listening to the various buskers was great. The museum and arts centre were always great for losing a day with all the little shops around there.
Pity the earthquakes hosed all of that.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Chch city in 5 or 10 years looks like it might be pretty good. It is currently still hosed. Though slowly getting better.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Nothing like a boring-rear end city of generic glass buildings with an economy buoyed only by the rebuild.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The most interesting thing about Christchurch is how the earthquakes swallowed up almost all of its non-white inhabitants.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Varkk posted:

Yeah, I actually liked living in Christchurch. Overall it is a very welcoming and progressive city. Whenever the National Front did anything public they were always well outnumbered by protesters.

Nice summer days eating souvlaki in Cashel Mall listening to the various buskers was great. The museum and arts centre were always great for losing a day with all the little shops around there.
Pity the earthquakes hosed all of that.

It's not great if you are lgbtqia+

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
heard some not great things about duncan webb

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

The guy asking about moving made me think about when I may return next. Honestly, it is hard. I want to visit again sometime soon.

I cant emphasize enough how good it feels to have the option, living in Trump land and all

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Yeah I'd be surprised if I never lived in NZ again, I just have no clear idea of when that'll be.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

exmarx posted:

heard some not great things about duncan webb

Care to elaborate?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Pararoid posted:

Care to elaborate?

he was a perv of a lecturer, apparently

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey guys, Brian Tamaki got burned because of a rubbish fire gone wrong. A literal one, I mean, even if it is an apt description of his church.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Which part of it went wrong?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Which part of it went wrong?

The part where he survived.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

exmarx posted:

he was a perv of a lecturer, apparently

Mm, I see.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Vagabundo posted:

The part where he survived.

Brutal, but :agreed:

Tamaki posted:

"Jesus didn't apologise for offending people when speaking God's word. If the gay community want to be accepted as a part of society then 'take it on the nose' like the rest of us. #CryBabyGays"

also

quote:

Last year Mr Tamaki said he's "not a homophobic at all" but has "beliefs and opinions" which he holds strongly as a minister.
"But we've never been homophobic or hated anyone of a different sexual orientation.
"We're all inclusive."

Not sure what sort of mental gymnastics you have to go through to say you're not homophobic and then declare that they are all sinners and are going to hell.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah. We're all inclusive, everyone is welcome even the gays who we have nothing against personally though of course they are all sinners who are going to hell, if they have a problem with that they should have thought of that before choosing to be gay. Not homophobic at all though

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Xik posted:

Not sure what sort of mental gymnastics you have to go through to say you're not homophobic and then declare that they are all sinners and are going to hell.

No gymnastics required when you're just lying.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm going to take the stance that the belief in gay relations as a damning sin is not in itself inherently homophobic, and any Christians who espouse their acceptance of gay people while still holding that belief are not necessarily lying nor suffering from any kind of cognitive dissonance. Catholic Priests are abstinent because Augustine believed that even loving ladies was damning yourself through the Original Sin, yet across the centuries they still held services for families.

All that said, the only way Tamaki could be more homophobic is if he were caught in an airport toilet sucking off a dude.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I've actually seen this kind of thing in the wild, where they simply can't understand how people would perceive comments like that as being homophobic or offensive. It's like this massive blindspot.

Like, this guy I went to school with, he quit his medical studies to become a Presbyterian minister and it was impossible to discuss his objections to Australia's impending Marriage Equality referendum and because he couldn't understand how it was homophobic. He's not stupid, but he didn't have the capacity to accept it into his world view. Like the concept that homosexuality is not a choice, but simply the way a person is, was so alien to him that he wasn't so much as rejecting it, as not being able to process it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Personally, I think saying all gay people are evil and bad is homophobic.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Personally, I think saying all gay people are evil and bad is homophobic.

No, you see, it's not homophobic because we're trying to discourage them from making an evil choice, and in embracing this, they cease to be evil and bad, and back on to the path towards heaven. We're trying to show them God's love!

was the sort of argument he kept banging on about, and he couldn't understand why so many people he knows were like "what the gently caress, dude?" or comprehend why someone on the LGBT, etc. scale would take issue with that sort of rhetoric.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There's a lot of interesting Christian literature dealing with the dichotomy of the human animal's desire and capacity for sin and wickedness while being the perfect creation of God in His image and the necessary struggle against our inherent base vices in whatever form they may manifest in order to prove ourselves worthy of His mercy that nobody who preaches against homosexuality has read because it's easier to just rely on explicitly superseded religious laws to perpetuate the oppression of others based on millennium-old sexual mores derived from an extremist doomsday cult. :shrug:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, it was utter bullshit, and when pressed on the matter, he never really had a viable response.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I still cannot get over the fact that he literally burnt his dick in a dumpster fire of his own creation

I ain't even misusing 'literally' or being hyperbolic. The dude's penis and balls got burns on them because he started a fire in a pile of garbage

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Perhaps even more important is that it was probably an illegal rubbish fire. I hope the council fully investigates this matter.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I still cannot get over the fact that he literally burnt his dick in a dumpster fire of his own creation

I ain't even misusing 'literally' or being hyperbolic. The dude's penis and balls got burns on them because he started a fire in a pile of garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Do it right. :five:

• Locked thread