Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

mariooncrack posted:

I'm possibly looking at a few used Civic SIs and Focus STs. I'm afraid of buying a car that has been modded and then had the mods removed. What should I be looking for specifically?

Buy it from a 40+ year old married dude that bought it trying to win his youth back only to realize it wasn’t his scene. The kind of dude that has straight missionary position once to twice a month with his wife. This guy also has service records at the dealership from day one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Pet tollllll

I know there has to be some application where white lettered tires don't rule hard on whatever vehicle they are put on but I haven't found it yet.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

Fight it, if not for you for the next guy they screw over. I'm guessing you aren't they first and won't be the last they pull this poo poo on.

Larrymer posted:

Yep, absolutely don't let those fuckers get away with it.

never forget: wage theft exceeds value of property taken in robberies in this country. can you guess which problem gets almost all the press?

https://www.epi.org/publication/emp...mies/#epi-toc-1

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

I'm guessing they aren't for one of your landies - what vehicle are they for?

T'is a nice colour.

They will be going on this:

However that photo is now close to 10 years old and the car is no longer that shiny and currently doesn't have a working engine so they will likely spend 12-18 months in storage before they get fitted back onto a nice shiny car :(

Just having the wheels is motivating me to get poo poo done. They are now in my living room. I may leave them there..

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 21, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone have any recs for a place to buy a BDS lift and/or wheels/tires? Currently looking at stage3motorsports and realtruck.com. They both have pretty terrible ratings but it seems like they all do.

I think I'm gonna get Nittos which tirerack.com doesn't carry (which seems odd).

realtruck was about 450 bucks cheaper but then I found a coupon code for stage3 which brought the difference down to about $190.

4wheelparts isn't really in the running because I'd have to pay tax, plus their prices seem poo poo anyway.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I just found a 1987 Crown Vic in loving stellar condition, under 100k km too. I was about to offer him his ask and then the ad disappeared. :smith:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Seminal Flu posted:

Sweet Jesus, it wasn't even close. I put an episode of the Hot Ones on both phones and the difference was ridiculous. The blacks are so bloody black with an AMOLED screen, I just can't do an IPS.

S8+ will be here on Monday.

What's the difference between an S8 and an S8+? My dumb Nexus battery is getting pretty weak, so I'm going to have to replace it before too long, so I've just started looking at other phones. I'm on T-Mobile so can go with pretty much anything, but I'd like to be able to transfer all my poo poo from the Nexus to the new phone.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Locator posted:

How much PTO did you have left?

About a week's worth.

I honestly wouldn't expect wage & labor to do much. I'm in a state that isn't exactly labor friendly, and it's not like they're trying to stiff me on wages. At worst they're in violation of their own policies.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I managed to get my old samsung note 2 operational by cutting off a small tab and wedging in a battery from one of my older samsung phones with a few pennies.

How large of a fire should i expect?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

I managed to get my old samsung note 2 operational by cutting off a small tab and wedging in a battery from one of my older samsung phones with a few pennies.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KakerMix posted:

Pet tollllll

I know there has to be some application where white lettered tires don't rule hard on whatever vehicle they are put on but I haven't found it yet.

You won't. RWL for lyfe.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geoj posted:

About a week's worth.

I honestly wouldn't expect wage & labor to do much. I'm in a state that isn't exactly labor friendly, and it's not like they're trying to stiff me on wages. At worst they're in violation of their own policies.

I don't know the laws in your state, but in mine, if the PTO is awarded on an accrual basis (i.e. I get x.x hours of PTO per pay period) then it is required by law to be paid out on termination regardless of why you were terminated because it was earned (which is why it's an accrual), but if it is awarded in a lump sum at the beginning of a calendar year, then it's not required by law and only based on company policy.

Using the accrual system means that it's carried on the company books as an liability, while the lump sum method is not required to be carried on the books.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fingers crossed.

It has charged up to 66%, the old battery is 3100mah, the "new" one 1850mah.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Powershift posted:

Please stay at least 10mi away from me at all times. TIA.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nm posted:

Please stay at least 10mi away from me at all times. TIA.

Hey, if it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid :smug:

Gonna need something that's not pennies though, it really dampens the vibration.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The way pennies put pressure points on the end of those folded-polymer batteries, I'd trust a few pieces of stacked cardboard more.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm still rocking my S5 and literally my only issue is that the rear camera cover got cracked and gradually fell off, and now over the last year and a half the lens itself has gradually been getting more and more scratched. Other than that the chips in the plastichrome are pure badges of honor, and everything else that wears out is pretty easy to fix.

I'd replace the camera module but apparently it's the heater core of phone parts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Smoking is gross.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Enourmo posted:

I'm still rocking my S5 and literally my only issue is that the rear camera cover got cracked and gradually fell off, and now over the last year and a half the lens itself has gradually been getting more and more scratched. Other than that the chips in the plastichrome are pure badges of honor, and everything else that wears out is pretty easy to fix.

I'd replace the camera module but apparently it's the heater core of phone parts.

This thing has a cracked screen and various other battle scars. When i pulled it out of the drawer and started using it again, it worked perfectly until i updated it, then within a few cycles, it would shut off with the battery at ~60%, then 65%, then 70%, and eventually wouldn't even run while plugged in.

The OG battery was 3100 MAh, this thing is 1850. I don't plan on tethering or gaming or anything super intensive, so i figure it should be fine. playing gem miner 2 at medium brightness it's predicting 4 hours 55 minutes of life out of a 100% charge.

I just came from an iphone 4s that started doing the same thing. I managed to turn it into a motion sensing IP security camera that stores the videos on my pc using IP Camera free on the phone and anycam on the computer.

Not perfect, but pretty drat good for an old phone that's ready for the bin.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The way pennies put pressure points on the end of those folded-polymer batteries, I'd trust a few pieces of stacked cardboard more.

The pennies are almost loose, most are just there to keep the top penny from popping out at an angle, if the battery supports the phone fine i'll probably make a nice little wood block for it.

I went ~a year without a phone and it really broke my need for it, unfortunately so much stuff these days requires you to have one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Enourmo posted:

I still have my S5, too.

I sat today sorting through ebay listings, and learned I could get a pretty good condition LG V20 for less than $125-150 depending on time of day. My ex had a V20 and I really liked it, and $150 is my absolute upper limit for a phone.

However, while the V10 and the V30 have wireless charging, the V20 doesn't (and never will, due to the metal back and literally no aftermarket for a plastic back). LG has abandoned the phone harder than Samsung did on the S6. Wireless charging is my jam, and I cannot live without it. My phones last years because I don't use the charging ports, and when I do I'm very careful to never put pressure at an angle on the ports. I was sporting the SII until early 2016 because of my charging port paranoia. For my S5 I bought the charging flip case and cut the back out of it (because I don't like flip cases) and filed the plastic thinner so it fit in a standard "charging cover" aftermarket case. I get Qi charging without using a third-party coil sticker (which worked, but got REALLY hot), and I get a good TPU case. (my reason for doing this is that the official Samsung charging battery cover is $80+ at the cheapest, but the charging "folio" case is only $20 from plenty of sellers on ebay).

Why, LG, why? The V20 is an amazing device. Why did you cripple it?

I think I'll be sticking with my S5 for another few years.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've never really given charging ports a second though, always had batteries fail long before anything else, and with the subsidies they used to give on phones, it used to be cheaper to get a new phone than replace the battery.

Now they require you to be over $105 a month to get the subsidy and aww hell naw

You start at $105 and they bill creep your rear end up to $150

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nah nah no way I'd pay over $100/month for anything other than rent and electricity. Still have a $45/month SERO plan on Sprint that you can pry from my cold, dead hands. That's why I buy phones three years later on ebay for less than $150 (and ideally, less than $100).

I've had only one charging port give me guff (on the SII, it got loose then cracked from the board - a resolder and it was good for awhile longer). Friends and stories online are where I hear the most tales about charging ports. Just about every partner I've had on the ambulance had to hold their phone in a certain way to get even a new cable to make contact due to port abuse (leaving it plugged in then putting it in you pocket, or sitting on it, or backpack storage, whatever -- average "non-techie" use). If you get a group of more than 30 people in one place that are all middle-class or lower (I definitely am), I bet at least one of them (or maybe two or five) will have phones that only charge wirelessly or have "special" cables that they've bent or hold in such a way that they charge the phone.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Powershift posted:

Now they require you to be over $105 a month to get the subsidy and aww hell naw

You start at $105 and they bill creep your rear end up to $150

Holy hell... no way.

I'm on the T-Mobile 55+ plan with my dad (since I'm not *quite* that old yet) and it's $60/mo for both lines so $30 each, for unlimited everything on whatever device I want to use. Really hard to even conceive of paying over $100/mo for mobile service when there are plans like this around!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Our telcos are run by honest to god criminals. :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

$77/month (with taxes and fees) for 2 lines on T-Mobile; one has 6GB data, the other is unlimited data. Voice and text are obviously unlimited.

The Locator posted:

I'm on the T-Mobile 55+ plan with my dad (since I'm not *quite* that old yet) and it's $60/mo for both lines so $30 each, for unlimited everything on whatever device I want to use. Really hard to even conceive of paying over $100/mo for mobile service when there are plans like this around!

I've thought about moving my lines over to that (mom and stepdad are already on that plan), but to keep my phone numbers, I'd have to port out, then back in, as I'm currently with a business account reseller. I don't give two shits about keeping my work phone # (I don't know it off the top of my head, I can barely remember the area code), but I'd like to keep my personal #. Also, I'd have to figure out how to get the money to them every month after I move (since they're :corsair: and can't figure out PayPal), and possibly deal with T-Mobile being grumpy about me wanting to switch my work phone to a local area code once I move.

Also, to be honest, Teltik's customer service is a lot better than T-Mobile's. They deal with the bullshit for me on the rare occasion I have to contact them (and they do it 24/7).

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Powershift posted:

Our telcos are run by honest to god criminals. :smith:

As someone that has 300 down & 40 up with no cap for $60/month; I'm sorry :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

Smoking is gross.

Imagine waking up, having a shower, brushing your teeth, putting nice clean clothes on, strutting outside into the fresh air on a beautiful morning and then lighting up.

At least vapes don't make you smell like an old pub ashtray.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Dang I missed New Zealand chat

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Today I will take apart a perfectly good working car.

Then I will fit a towbar and attempt to put it all back together.

If it wasn't a genuine Witter / rust-free Volvo combo I'd be quite stressed about this.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

gimpsuitjones posted:

Dang I missed New Zealand chat

Need to work on your jandal sprints bro

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have someone from a body shop coming out today to quote me repairs on the bed and paint for the truck. I am nervous and excited at the same time because I feel like I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

So er, what tool should I buy to remove a broken-flush bolt?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Nominally, good drill bits and an extractor set.

Depends on access etc.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

I have someone from a body shop coming out today to quote me repairs on the bed and paint for the truck. I am nervous and excited at the same time because I feel like I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If they're anything like Alberta body shops. it'll just say "$5k, gently caress you, pay me"

Insurance paying them $1300 a pop to fix thousands of bumper scrapes really skews the prices.

Thermite!

If it's in aluminum, alum.

You could try an easy-out, but in the end you'll probably just wish you went with thermite.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

an Exorcist? But seriously, someone did some black magic around here recently with a broken bolt that had a broken drill bit in it, I can't remember what thread it was in.

Has anyone had any experience with buying parts from ebay?

This crank sensor is straight up $100 cheaper than what I can find through the local parts places, which I know to be a rip off for most things. I don't know if I'm willing to risk it though.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Powershift posted:

If they're anything like Alberta body shops. it'll just say "$5k, gently caress you, pay me"

Insurance paying them $1300 a pop to fix thousands of bumper scrapes really skews the prices.

This isn't an insurance-only collision shop, the collision shop directed me to this one because they're one of the few places that work on project vehicles instead of doing part swaps and paint for collision repair. The collision shop literally told me they'd be willing to work out the dents but they won't touch the rust holes.

Also, $5k for the bed repair would be thousands of dollars less than buying a replacement bed ($7k) and freight from Georgia (to Canada). If I'm told $5k I'm probably going to say yes.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 21, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Nominally, good drill bits and an extractor set.

Depends on access etc.

:homebrew: done
Wish me luck

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

No photo of your middle fingat infront of a snapped off extractor. :colbert:

Does it have a captive nut on the back. If so then be careful if you are gonna drill it out and re-tap

I think you could probably drown it in plus gas and then still weld something onto that bolt. Feel free to bring it over here if you want to try (I've got a mig and gas)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for the offer, the remains of the bolt are actually in that picture, I managed to drill almost all of out before the extractor pulled that helicoil-looking bugger out. Yes it's captive, retapped fine.

I'm going to have to pop rivet the mudguards back on however, 3 of 10 screws came out without carnage.

• Locked thread