Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Offer to defect... then stab him in the back! Let's pull a Huang Gai or Zhao Fang on this poser! (I have been playing way too much Dynasty Warriors lately.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
let him know the agony of defect

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Backstabbing is an art in the land of the Darklords! Let' pretend to Defect!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Guy Fawkes posted:

Backstabbing is an art in the land of the Darklords! Let' pretend to Defect!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nelson posted:

Offer to defect. Maybe he’ll give us a quest to kill Ghanesh.
I'm not sure we need the distraction, but sure.

The Masters of Darkness posted:

The Darklord laughs and the chamber vibrates to the sound of his ghastly glee.

‘So, the worm-master’s minion wishes to serve a lord with true power, does he? Very well, you treacherous slime, but first you will have to prove yourself worthy of my lordship.’

He moves towards the Transfusor, in doing so turning his back on you.

Curing: +1 EP (31/38).
Do we attack him or wait?

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Backstabbing is an art in the land of the Darklords!

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Let’s wait and see what he has for us.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Wait for it, waiiiiiit for iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit....

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hahah he is so going to wreck us with some kind of superweapon.
We wouldn't want to deny his chance, so wait

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Dude, you never turn your back on a Kai Master. That's just stupid. Attack!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Surprise attack! Then take his stuff.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
We're here to shank these motherfuckers and chew bubblegum.

And we're all out of bubblegum.

Shank this motherfucker.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Oh come on can’t you even be the slightest bit subtle, Dorklord? :argh:

Wait.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Think of all the fun we could have had making poo poo up about Darklord Ghardashian :smith:

Oh well.

nelson posted:

Surprise attack! Then take his stuff.

He's a giant evil feather boa. We could wear him!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Shank him.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wait and let him Monologue first.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mister Perky posted:

Shank this motherfucker.

You know that if you are to destroy this powerful enemy, you must strike quickly and effectively, before he has a chance to retaliate.

Curing: +1 EP (32/38).
The question is, what do we attack him with? Sommerswerd, bow and Zejar-dulaga, or regular dagger?

Helshezag and the Dagger of Vashna would also be options if we had them.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
WHABAWTUI with black arrow. Quick, says a heroic quip!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Use our special arrow!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Comstar posted:

WHABAWTUI with black arrow. Quick, says a heroic quip!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
We have a bow and a magic arrow. We wish to use them.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Dagger isn't magic enough and Sommerswerd is too magical, so shoot that poison arrow

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

nelson posted:

This.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

nelson posted:

Yeah, that.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Mister Perky posted:

Dagger isn't magic enough and Sommerswerd is too magical

Use the goldilocks arrow! It's just magical enough.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Swiftly you unshoulder your Bow and draw the magical arrow to your lips. Its glowing shaft betrays the power that is locked within it, a power that can kill those who created and harnessed it to murder others. Taktaal senses that his doom is near and tries to give vent to a cry of alarm, but the cry dies in his throat as you send the Zejar-dulaga burrowing deep into his evil heart. With a surge of incredible strength, Taktaal drags the arrow from his body and collapses at the edge of the dais. A foul black gas hisses from the gaping wound and his body dissolves rapidly and fades until all that is left is a dull grey stain on the shiny black steel floor.

‘Ghanesh will be proud of you!’ comes a voice from the shadows, full of malevolence. It is a sound that strikes terror in your heart, for immediately you recognize the rasping tone of your most hated foe—Darklord Gnaag.

Curing: +1 EP (33/38).

You spin around to see the ghastly form of Darklord Gnaag emerge from a shadowy archway, his composite eyes glittering evilly. You stiffen at his approach, your muscles locked like coiled springs. Your whole life’s struggle is concentrated into this moment; at last the time has come to avenge the Kai and rid your world of these evil masters of darkness forever. You feel a transformation taking place deep within you, a growing strength and sharpness of mind. It breathes new life into your battle-weary body and fills you with the certain knowledge that your destiny is about to be fulfilled (restore your ENDURANCE score to its original level).

The chamber echoes to a loud, rasping snarl, full of anger and fear, as Gnaag becomes aware of your true identity. You move forward, confident in your strength. But before you can attack, Gnaag fades from sight and a shimmering haze rises from the floor. The mist draws into focus and an eerie cadence, like a distant scream, fills your ears.

The phantom mist crystallizes into the shape of a winged beast with glowing ghost-eyes. It opens its fang-filled mouth and your mind screams an alarm.

Endurance: 38/38.

Your sense of Divination warns you that this creature has been summoned in Gnaag’s defence. Its ghostly body is growing stronger every second, and you realize quickly that it is feeding on your fear. Drawing on your psychic reserves, you try to erect a mental barrier to prevent this psychic parasite from gorging on your fears.

We roll: 1.

You are in combat with a powerful spirit-creature, summoned by Darklord Gnaag from the Plane of Darkness. You fight to suppress your fear, for, by feeding upon it, the creature is growing stronger and stronger.

Mind Reaper: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 36

This supernatural being is especially susceptible to psychic attack. Double all bonuses you would normally receive if you choose to use either Mindblast or Psi-surge during the combat.
No reason not to use the Sommerswerd now, since Gnaag is already aware of us.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 41 ENDURANCE 38
Mind Reaper: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 36
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 4
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 41 ENDURANCE 36
Mind Reaper: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 24

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 41 ENDURANCE 36
Mind Reaper: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 0

As you strike the blow that seals the creature’s doom, it disappears, leaving no trace whatsoever. Gnaag roars his anger and lopes awkwardly towards the Transfusor, desperate to recall his fellow Darklords to the Black City. You block his path and feel an eerie force—a tingling electric coldness—pass between you. With an unholy scream, Darklord Gnaag unsheathes his sword, Nadazgada, and prepares to engage you in a battle that will determine the destiny of Magnamund.

Curing: +1 EP (37/38).

You unsheathe the Sommerswerd and the shadowy chamber is flooded with blinding golden light, as if a sun had flared into being beneath its black dome. The steel walls vibrate, and then buckle beneath an onslaught of pure energy that is radiating from the sword’s blade. Until now the power of the sun-sword has been held in check, locked and subdued within its divinely crafted blade. Even the surge of power that destroyed Darklord Zagarna at the walls of Holmgard was but a candle flicker compared to the searing radiance that is now pouring from its tip.

For an instant you see panic blaze madly in Gnaag’s fly-like eyes, before he is consumed by the power of the Sommerswerd and vapourised to sightless atoms. With a cry of victory, you sheathe the sun-sword and stare at the place where, only seconds before, your arch-enemy confronted you.

Curing: +1 EP (38/38).

Only a circle of fire-scorched steel marks the spot where Darklord Gnaag finally met his doom. You look upon this patch of twisted metal and your spirits soar with the realization that you have defeated your arch-enemy in mortal combat. But your mission is yet to be completed. Quickly you remove the Crystal Explosive from your Backpack and approach the Transfusor. You place it in position, next to a shaft connected to the Lake of Blood from which the device draws its power. Once the crystal is primed, you hurry out of the chamber through the archway by which Gnaag entered. Guided by your instincts, you find your way around the tower to the oval landing platform, and to the means of escape from the Black City which awaits you there—Gnaag’s Imperial Zlanbeast.

You are high above the city, steering the reluctant Zlanbeast eastwards to Aarnak, when the crystal detonates. Within moments it starts a chain reaction, which destroys the Transfusor, reduces Helgedad to a fiery holocaust of shattered granite and twisted steel, and brings about the rapid demise of the Darklords and their armies scattered throughout Magnamund.

Your victory is total. At last you have fulfilled your destiny to avenge the Kai and rid your land of the evil that has threatened her for thousands of years. You return to Sommerlund a conquering hero, and, as Kai Grand Master, you begin the task of restoring the Kai to their former glory. The chronicle of your struggle against the Darklords will pass into legend, inspiring future generations of Kai warriors to keep alive your ideals of bravery, skill, and selfless courage. Yet the saga that is the story of your life does not end here. In future times the chronicle will tell of the adventures you undertook during your Kai Grand Mastership. Until the time comes for their telling, may the Gods Ishir and Kai watch over you, Grand Master Lone Wolf, hero and saviour of Sommerlund.

The next book in the Lone Wolf series is entitled The Plague Lords of Ruel.

And I have to leave the house in about ten minutes so I'll post up my end of book thoughts, final action chart, and the voting choices for the next book either tonight when I get home or tomorrow.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
That felt... rather abrupt.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, the Sommerswerd is an instant win against Gnaag if you remember not to use it previously. And he's a pretty tough fight with the Dagger of Vashna or Helshezag- I'll let Tiggum post the Stats.

This book has great atmosphere and is very climactic up until the end.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

moosecow333 posted:

That felt... rather abrupt.

The magic arrow was just that powerful.

That reminds me - I looked back and if we would have successfully hidden from that guy in grey awhile back we would have been walking dead. To kill Taktaal we needed a magic weapon but drawing the Sommersword would have killed us. Hiding means not shanking the guy in grey. Not shanking the guy in grey means no black key. No black key means no magic arrow. No magic arrow means we were going to die because we ditched our other magic weapon options.

nelson fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 21, 2018

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

nelson posted:

The magic arrow was just that powerful.

That reminds me - I looked back and if we would have successfully hidden from that guy in grey awhile back we would have been walking dead. To kill Taktaal we needed a magic weapon but drawing the Sommersword would have killed us. Hiding means not shanking the guy in grey. Not shanking the guy in grey means no black key. No black key means no magic arrow. No magic arrow means we were going to die because we ditched our other magic weapon options.

I thought at one point there was text (maybe behind a skill check) that explained that the magic arrow (zejar-dulaga is literally poison arrow in Giak iirc) was designed for use in the petty internal rivalries among the Darklords hinted at in this book via your cover story. So there is that hint that the capo tier Darklords possess and/or are working on ways to take each other out/move up the ladder and that the arrow is one of them. [Their own weapons, such as Helshezag and the Dagger of Vashna, are others.] Gnaag himself is the victor of the struggle to fill the power vacuum left after we killed Haakon at the end of book 5. Among other major ways in which Lone Wolf has changed the destiny of Magnamund, he has taught the basically immortal Darklords that they are quite killable and it's worth their while to jockey for position and have power struggles amongst each other. Gnaag marks the fourth time the Archlord of the Darklord changes/dies (they've been around for several thousand years) and Lone Wolf is responsible for three of those four. [Book 2, Book 5, Book 12.] So the Sommerswerd was less "the only weapon that can kill a Darklord" as we were told back at the start, and more "the only weapon that has killed a Darklord [Vashna]".

Not that any of this matters anymore because successfully completing this book means we have killed them all :black101:

In other fancy item news, I forget when and how we could have picked it up but we did miss out on the sweet Kagonite Chainmail (+3 CS, +1 EP), another useful combat bonus we can pick up one book too late.

Mister Perky fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 21, 2018

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So what was heroic quip we said when we let loose the bow?

Death to the Darklords!

Yippie Kai Yay motherf***!

I also cook (using Huntsmastery)

Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the Somersword.

Smoke me a Xargath , I'll be back for breakfast.

I'm too old for this poo poo.

I have had it with these motherf***ing darklords on this motherf***ing planet!

I have come here to drink Laumspur and kick rear end… and I’m all out of Laumspur.

The name is Wolf. Lone Wolf.

"Hello. My name is Silent Wolf. You killed my monastery. Prepare to die.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I'm here to kill Darklords and chew bubblegum and - what the gently caress is bubblegum?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm here to kill Darklords and chew bubblegum and - what the gently caress is bubblegum?

I like this. Let's go with this.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I’m here to vaporize Hellspawn and chew gnardum sap. And I’m all out o gnardum sap.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I... actually quite like the fact that the final battle was "And then the Sommerswerd vaporised him." They spend all this time talking about how powerful it is, how great it is at killing darklords, and it's really nice to have that actually borne out in gameplay, rather than just "Oh, here's a CS bonus!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Final stats for The Masters of Darkness:
    Combat Skill: 38 (16)
    Endurance Points: 38/38 (34)

Kai/Magnakai Disciplines
  1. Weaponmastery (+4 CS w/ sword, warhammer, dagger, mace, axe, quarterstaff, spear & short sword; -1 CS when unarmed; +5 to bows; +2 to other missile attacks)
  2. Huntmastery
  3. Invisibility
  4. Nexus
  5. Pathsmanship
  6. Psi-screen
  7. Animal Control
  8. Divination
  9. Curing (Regain 1 EP per section; if EP<7 then regain 20 EP - 100 day cooldown)
  10. Mindblast (+3 CS)
    Weapons:
  1. The Sommerswerd (+8 CS; x2 damage vs. undead)
  2. Dagger
    Belt Pouch (money):
  • 37 Gold Crowns
  • 130 Kika
    Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Lantern
  3. Meal
  4. Bottle of Wine
  5. Iron Key
  6. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  7. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  8. 4 Gold Crowns
    Special Items:
  1. Helmet (+2 EP)
  2. Shield (+2 CS)
  3. Firesphere
  4. Silver Bracers (+2 CS; +1 EP)
  5. Silver Rod
  6. Psychic Ring

7. Silver Bow of Duadon (+3 to RN)
  8. Quiver (5/6 arrows)
  9. Fireseeds (7)
  10. Kazan-Oud Platinum Amulet
  11. Bronin Vest (+3 CS; +1 EP)
  12. Signet Ring
  13. Korlinium Scabbard
  14. Golden Amulet
  15. Green Mask
    Missed Opportunities:
  • Never saw the Kagonite Chainmail
  • Left Helshezag behind

Kills:
  • A xargath
  • About 17 Drakkarim
  • An ictakko
  • Some crypt spawn
  • Kraagenskûl, Lord of Argazad, Darklord of the Bladed Seas
  • Two ghouls
  • A ligan
  • Taktaal, Lord Helgedad, Darklord of Ebon Fist
  • A mind reaper
  • Gnaag, Lord of Mozgoar, Darklord of Tyranny
  • Darklords Chlanzor, Dakushna, Ghanesh, Khatellu, Menashga, Mrugor, Nhorg, Shebnar, Slutar, Tomogh, Xog and Zhanshal.

Total Deaths: 17 16 *
    This book: 2 1 *
  • Killed in combat with Darklord Kraagenskûl (book 12). *
  • Unsheathed the Sommerswerd in the Darklands after being specifically told not to (book 12).

Storage:
    Weapons:
  • Jewelled Mace
  • The Dagger of Vashna
    Special Items:
  • Port Bax White Pass
  • Port Bax Red Pass
  • Gaoler's Keys
  • Three Copper Keys
  • Ornate Silver Key
  • Blue Stone Triangle
  • Cess
  • Ticket to Eula
  • Power-key
  • Padded Leather Waistcoat (+2 EP)
  • Pass
  • Prism
  • Lodestone (Vordaks; Talestria)
  • Receipt
  • Invitation
  • Map of the Daziarn
    Backpack Items:
  • Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  • Map of Tekaro
  • Lantern
  • Meal
  • Meal
  • Meal
    Money:
  • 18 Gold Crowns

* I just now realised that we shouldn't have died in that fight with Kraagenskûl. I'd completely forgotten about our special once-per-book Curing ability that should have kicked in and brought us back up to 22 Endurance before the final round. We'd have ended the fight on 18 EP, not 2.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 21, 2018

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

We don't have the Crystal Explosive any more; we blew up the Transfusor with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I mostly like this book. I do agree with those who say that the ending is anticlimactic though. If it were me, I'd have had the Sommerswerd obliterate Kraagenskûl, the magic arrow take out Taktaal, and then let Gnaag actually put up a fight. Because the way it actually plays out makes Kraagenskûl the toughest of the three despite being the earliest you encounter and (judging by the fact that he's not based in the capital city) the lowest in rank. Other than that I like this book. It's not stupidly hard like the last couple, it's got some really cool monsters and bad guys and nice loot, and you get to finally defeat the enemy that's been threatening you since book eight.

achtungnight posted:

Yeah, the Sommerswerd is an instant win against Gnaag if you remember not to use it previously. And he's a pretty tough fight with the Dagger of Vashna or Helshezag- I'll let Tiggum post the Stats.
"Pretty tough" is underselling it by a long way:

Darklord Gnaag: COMBAT SKILL 50 ENDURANCE 70

You get +12 to your CS for this fight but you're probably still hosed. So yeah, that thing I said about this book not being stupidly hard? That doesn't apply if you skipped book two or lost the Sommerswerd.

The fight against Taktaal with the Dagger of Vashna is also potentially really hard, depending on whether you play it as written or not. As written you get no CS bonus against him, but if you look at the reasoning given for the +12 against Gnaag then it seems like that should also apply to any fight against a Darklord within Helgedad. And if you get the +12 then you're probably going to be OK.

nelson posted:

The magic arrow is really great to have and you definitely need it if you don't have the Dagger of Vashna or Helshezag, but if you don't have Helshezag it's because you specifically decided to leave it behind, so it's kind of your own fault really.

Mister Perky posted:

In other fancy item news, I forget when and how we could have picked it up but we did miss out on the sweet Kagonite Chainmail (+3 CS, +1 EP), another useful combat bonus we can pick up one book too late.
Way back on the ship. There's a luck roll and you get +1 to it for each Magnakai book you've completed - but to get the Kagonite Chainmail you want to roll low, so it's a rare example of the game actually being made a bit easier for newer players.

There are a couple of reasons it would have been really great to have. The first is that it's one of the items we're allowed to keep for the Grand Master series (whereas the bronin vest is not), and the second is that you can wear it at the same time as both the bronin vest and a regular padded waistcoat, which would have brought our stats up to 41 CS, 39 EP for this book.

Runcible Cat posted:

We don't have the Crystal Explosive any more; we blew up the Transfusor with it.
Good point, I'll fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Plague Lords of Ruel

The Plague Lords of Ruel posted:

The Story So Far … 
You are Grand Master Lone Wolf, last of the Kai Lords of Sommerlund and sole survivor of a massacre that wiped out the First Order of your élite warrior caste.

It is the year MS 5075 and twenty-five years have passed since your brave kinsmen perished at the hands of the Darklords of Helgedad. These champions of evil, who were sent forth by Naar, the King of the Darkness, to destroy the fertile world of Magnamund, have themselves since been destroyed. You vowed to avenge the murder of the Kai and you kept your pledge, for it was you who brought about their downfall when alone you infiltrated their foul domain—the Darklands—and caused the destruction of their leader, Archlord Gnaag, and the core of their cancerous power that was the infernal city of Helgedad.

In the wake of their destruction, chaos befell the Darkland armies who, until then, had been poised to conquer all of Northern Magnamund. Some factions which were part of this huge army, most notably the barbaric Drakkarim, began to fight with the others for control. This disorder quickly escalated into an all-out civil war, which allowed the Freeland armies of Magnamund time in which to recover and launch a counter-offensive. Skilfully their commanders exploited the chaos and secured a swift and total victory over an enemy far superior in numbers.

For five years now peace has reigned in Sommerlund. Under your direction, the once-ruined Monastery of the Kai has been thoroughly rebuilt and restored to its former glory, and you have begun the task of training a Second Order of Kai warriors so that the skills and proud traditions of your ancestors will be carried forward in the centuries to come. The new generation of Kai recruits, all of whom were born during the era of war against the Darklords, possess latent Kai skills and show exceptional promise. These skills will be nurtured and honed to perfection during their time at the monastery so that they may teach and inspire future generations, thereby ensuring the continued security of your homeland in future years.

Your attainment of the rank of Kai Grand Master brought with it great rewards. Some, such as the restoration of the Kai and the undying gratitude of your fellow Sommlending, could have been anticipated. Yet there have also been rewards which you could not possibly have foreseen. The discovery that within you lay the potential to develop Kai Disciplines beyond those of the Magnakai, which, until now, were thought to be the ultimate that a Kai Master could aspire to, was truly a revelation. Your discovery has inspired you to set out upon a new and previously unknown path in search of the wisdom and power that no Kai Lord before you has ever possessed. In the name of your creator, the God Kai, and for the greater glory of Sommerlund and the Goddess Ishir, you have vowed to reach the very pinnacle of Kai perfection—to attain all of the Grand Master Disciplines and become the first Kai Supreme Master.

With diligence and determination you set about the restoration of the Kai Monastery and organized the training of the Second Order recruits. Your efforts were soon rewarded and, within the space of two short years, the first raw recruits had graduated to become a cadre of gifted Kai Masters who, in turn, were able to commence the teaching of their skills to subsequent intakes of Kai novices. Readily the Kai Masters rose to their newfound responsibilities, leaving you free to devote more of your time to the pursuit and perfection of the Grand Master Disciplines. During this period you also received expert tutelage in the ways of magic from two of your most trusted friends and advisors: Guildmaster Banedon, leader of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star, and Lord Rimoah, speaker for the High Council of the Elder Magi.

In the deepest subterranean level of the monastery, one hundred feet below the Tower of the Sun, you ordered the excavation and construction of a special vault. In this magnificent chamber wrought of granite and gold, you placed the seven Lorestones of Nyxator, the gems of Kai power that you had recovered during your quest for the Magnakai. It was here, bathed in the golden light of those radiant gems, that you spent countless hours in pursuit of perfection. Sometimes alone, sometimes in the company of your two able advisors—Banedon and Rimoah—you worked hard to develop your innate Grand Master Disciplines and grasp the fundamental secrets of Left-handed and Old Kingdom magic. During this time you noticed many remarkable changes taking place within your body: you became physically and mentally stronger, your five primary senses sharpened beyond all that you had experienced before, and, perhaps most remarkably, your body began to age at a much slower rate. Now, for every five years that elapse you age but one year.

At this time many changes were also occurring beyond the borders of Sommerlund. In the regions to the northeast of Magador and the Maakengorge, the Elder Magi of Dessi and the Herbwardens of Bautar were working together in an effort to restore the dusty volcanic wasteland to its former fertile state. It was the first tentative step towards the reclamation of all the Darklands. However, although they had had notable successes in these regions, generally their progress was painfully slow and both parties were resigned to the fact that their efforts to undo the damage caused by the Darklords would take not years but centuries to complete.

In the far west, the Drakkarim had retreated to their homelands and were engaged in a bloody war against the Lencians. Much of Nyras had been reclaimed by the armies of King Sarnac, the Lencian commander, and his flag now flew over a land which, two thousand years ago, had once been part of Lencia.

Following the destruction of the Darklords of Helgedad, the Giaks, the most prolific in number of all of Gnaag’s troops, fled into the Darklands and sought refuge in the gigantic city-fortresses of Nadgazad, Aarnak, Gournen, and Kaag. Within each of these hellish strongholds there exists now a state of frenzied civil war as remnants of the Xaghash (lesser Darklords) and the Nadziranim (evil practitioners of Right-handed magic who once aided individual Darklord masters) fight for control. By virtue of their geographic locations, and the struggles taking place within them, each of these city-fortresses is isolated from the next and poses no immediate threat to the peoples of the Free Kingdoms. It is widely believed that by the time the Elder Magi and the Herbalish reach the walls of these strongholds the occupants will have long since brought about their own extinction.

Elsewhere, throughout Northern Magnamund, peace reigns victorious and the peoples of the Free Kingdoms rejoice in the knowledge that the age of the Darklords has finally come to an end. Readily men have exchanged their swords for hoes and their shields for ploughs, and now the only marching they do is along the ruts of their freshly furrowed fields. Few are the watchful eyes that scan the distant horizon in fear of what may appear, although there are still those who maintain their vigilance, for the agents of Naar come in many guises and there are those upon Magnamund who wait quietly in the shadows for the chance to do his evil bidding.

Often, over the past two years, Lord Rimoah has warned you to be wary of one such group. They are known as the Cener Druids and they occupy a small forested realm to the south of the Stornlands called Ruel, which they have made virtually impregnable to invasion through the use of evil herbcraft. Once, long ago, after the defeat of Naar’s greatest champion—Agarash the Damned—they were used by Naar as agents of revenge. Then they formulated and released a plague that decimated the Elder Magi and left the way open for their conquest of Magnamund. Now the Elder Magi fear that, as before, Naar will use them again to enact revenge for the defeat of his champions. They fear that they will seek to destroy the Second Order of the Kai before it becomes too strong, for your quest for mastery of the Grand Master Disciplines has opened a door to such goodly power that even Naar himself may be unable to counter it. Unless he closes that door, others of your kind could soon be following in your footsteps.

Already the Elder Magi have petitioned the courts of all the Freeland rulers, beseeching them to act immediately and destroy the Cenerese before it is too late. Many of the kingdoms they have visited unwittingly harboured secret sects of Cener Druids who practised their vile herbcraft, often in remote areas. Sommerlund was one such land. Only a year ago, a sect of Cenerese was found in the foothills of the Durncrags engaging in blood rituals at a site less than a day’s ride from the Kai Monastery. News of this prompted action which brought about a scourge of the Lastlands and forced many Cenerese sects to flee to the safety of Ruel. The regular armies of three nations—Palmyrion, Lourden, and Slovia—are now encamped around its border in an attempt to contain the Cener threat. They remain watchful, but that is all they can hope to do. The Cenerese are too powerful within their own domain for the Freeland armies to dare launch an invasion. One such attempt has already ended in disaster. Six months ago an allied force numbering seven thousand men entered the Forest of Ruel, intent on storming the Cenerese fortress of Mogaruith and razing it to the ground. Seven thousand men went into the forest; only seventy returned alive.

Despite the vigilance of the three Freeland armies, the containment of the Cenerese threat within Ruel has not been entirely successful. To the south, the Cenerese can enter and leave their realm by means of tunnels which honeycomb the Skardos Mountains. These secret passages emerge in the free state of Caron, at the northern edge of the Rootstrangle Swamp which, in due course, drains into the Tentarias (the great waterway which divides the northern and southern continents of Magnamund). Once access to the Tentarias has been achieved, the Cenerese are virtually free to sail to any port or country of their choosing. Caron is helpless to prevent the Cenerese from using this route through their land. They are a poor nation with few resources, and the Rootstrangle Swamp is one of the most difficult places to patrol. It comprises a constantly shifting morass of mud flats and rotting vegetation, inhabited only by Tzargs—a carnivorous race of frog-like animals originally bred by the Cenerese for the sole purpose of guiding them through the swamp’s ever-shifting channels.

On midsummer’s day, Lord Rimoah arrived at the monastery without, as was customary on such occasions, any forewarning of his visit. His unexpected appearance surprised the other Kai and caused them to speculate in whispers about the reasons for his journey. Yet his coming was of no surprise to you. For days you had experienced a feeling of unease, a presentiment that your orderly life at the monastery was about to undergo a dramatic change. Rimoah brought with him a glass phial of pale green liquid, a liquid that was proof-positive that the Cenerese were indeed preparing to enact Naar’s revenge upon the Free Kingdoms of Magnamund.

The phial had been found among the possessions of a Cener Druid who had been caught in the city of Ragadorn after having been followed there by a watchful Herbwarden from Bautar. Under interrogation, the Cener revealed that he had been sent to Ragadorn by Arch Druid Cadak, the ruler of Ruel, to distribute the phials of this liquid to agents sympathetic to the Cenerese cause. The Herbwarden had sent the phial to Dessi where the Elder Magi, upon analysing the liquid, discovered it to be a powerful vaccine against a new and complex plague virus. Judging by the composition of the vaccine, this plague virus would prove to be several times more lethal than the Great Plague which had so devastated their race thousands of years ago. The Cener succeeded in taking his own life before he revealed further details, but, judging from the evidence in their possession, the Elder Magi were convinced that the Cenerese are getting ready to unleash an airborne plague virus that could kill all the living creatures of Magnamund, save those that had ingested the vaccine.

Rimoah informs you that the Elder Magi are unable to replicate the vaccine in huge quantities, and even if they were so able, to distribute it to every living creature on Magnamund would be an impossible task.

‘The Herbwardens are sure that the Cener they found in Ragadorn was one of the first of those sent out of Mogaruith to distribute this vaccine,’ said Rimoah, his voice uncharacteristically sombre. ‘Therefore we must act quickly if we are to destroy the virus before Cadak is ready to release it into the atmosphere. Someone must enter Mogaruith. They must find and destroy the plague virus, and they must ensure that this evil work can never again be resumed.’

For a long moment you stood in silence staring into Rimoah’s unblinking eyes. Then, with a nod of your head, you acknowledged what had to be done. Only a Kai Grand Master possesses the skills and experience that would be essential to the success of this vital mission … and there is only one Kai Grand Master.

OK, a lot of changes ocurring here in the Grand Master series. First up is the matter of special items. There's a list of ten we're allowed to keep and the rest are gone. Here's what's left:

Inventory:
  • The Sommerswerd (+8 CS; x2 damage vs. undead)
  • Silver Bracers (+2 CS; +1 EP)
  • Silver Bow of Duadon (+3 to RN)
  • Korlinium Scabbard
    Storage:
  • Jewelled Mace
  • The Dagger of Vashna

You may notice that we're missing a few items that were affecting our Combat Skill and Endurance scores so those have changed as well. Our Combat Skill is now 37 (with a base score of 19) and our Endurance is 38 (with a base score of 37). The base scores are what we'd have if we didn't count our equipment and disciplines, so at any time we could have an effective score anywhere between those two numbers.

But if you start with the Grand Master series then you get much higher base scores than we started with back in the Kai series. Up to now new players got a CS between 10 and 19 and EP between 20 and 29. New Grand Masters get a CS between 25 and 34 and EP between 30 and 39. So our unmodified Endurance is pretty decent by that standard, but our unmodified Combat Skill is garbage and even with all our bonuses it's not much better than a brand new player, and even that advantage starts to disappear once they acquire certain Grand Master Disciplines - for example, a fresh player gets +5 CS for choosing Grand Weaponmastery but as we already have Weaponmastery we only get an additional +1 on top of the bonus we were already getting. For that reason some people like to give themself +15 to CS and +10 to EP at the start of the Grand Master series.

I think that keeping our current stats is the way to go, but if anyone feels strongly about it I'm open to being convinced. Some other options to consider would be rerolling (keeping our equipment and bonuses but generating new base CS and EP scores), rebooting (rerolling our stats and dumping all our equipment but keeping the abilities and bonuses from our Magnakai Disciplines or the other way around - keeping our equipment but dumping the Magnakai Disciplines) or starting fresh (ie. essentially playing as someone who just picked up book 13 as their first Lone Wolf book - new stats, none of our old equipment, no Magnakai Disciplines).

But regardless of any of that, we need to pick some Grand Master Disciplines. Most of them are just incremental upgrades on the Magnakai versions, but there are some new ones too. And we get to pick four.

Grand Weaponmastery would give us an additional +1 CS on top of our Weaponmastery bonus (+5 total) with two weapons of our choice. Worth noting that our Weaponmastery bonus to bows and ranged weapons means that we'd currently gain no benefit from picking bows as one of our two weapons for this skill.
Animal Mastery is Animal Control is Animal Kinship.
Deliverance is Curing is Healing - except that it doesn't heal 1 EP per section. You need Healing or Curing for that. It does upgrade the "restore 20 EP" ability from Curing though by reducing the cooldown to 20 days and the threshold to use it to 8 EP. Or, depending on your reading of the rules, maybe you can use the health burst from Curing as well and therefore basically use that trick twice as often. :shrug:
Assimilance is Invisibility is Camouflage.
Grand Huntmastery means no need for food anywhere, ever.
Grand Pathsmanship is basically just Pathsmanship.
Kai-surge is essentially an upgrade to Psi-surge: +8 CS instead of +6 (Psi-surge) or +4 (Mindblast). Like Psi-surge it costs 1 EP per round (just ordinary damage, not a permanent reduction like Helshezag).
Kai-screen is Psi-screen is Mindshield.
Grand Nexus. Resistance to temperature and harmful environments. Telekinesis.
Telegnosis is Divination is Sixth Sense but with more of a focus on that spirit walking upgrade we got for Divination.
Magi-magic is the first of the two new disciplines and it's Vakeros battle magic. More spells become available as we level up, but none of them are usable at-will, only as specified in the text. At this level we get to maybe use the spells Shield, Power Word and Invisible Fist.
Kai-alchemy is Brotherhood magic like Banedon uses. Just like Magi-magic it's usable only as specified in the text and not at will, and more spells become available as you level up. Right now we'd get Lightning Hand, Levitation and Mind Charm. You might be wondering why you'd ever not use Lightning Hand to solve all your problems and I have no good answer to that question, you just can't because the book says so.

Unlike the Magnakai series there are no Lore Circles, you just get +1 CS and +2 EP for every book you finish.

Then we're on to equipment! We get a new map, of course, and some cash - 29 Gold Crowns to be exact. And as usual, our pick of any five of the following:
  • Sword
  • Bow
  • Quiver (6 arrows)
  • Axe
  • 4 Meals
  • Rope
  • Potion of Laumpsur (+4 EP)
  • Spear
  • Dagger
And remember that we just lost our old quiver and arrows for some reason, so we'll probably want to replace those. And we still have the opportunity to move stuff into and out of storage. Plus, we'll need a rule for when to use Psi-surge (or Kai-surge if we pick it). Something like (if the Combat Ratio is lower than -3) or whatever you think is appropriate.

Weapons:
  1. The Sommerswerd (+8 CS; x2 damage vs. undead)
  2. Dagger
    Belt Pouch (money):
  • 37 Gold Crowns
  • 130 Kika
    Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Lantern
  3. Meal
  4. Bottle of Wine
  5. Iron Key
  6. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  7. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  8. 33 Gold Crowns

Special Items:

1. Silver Bracers (+2 CS; +1 EP)

2. Silver Bow of Duadon (+3 to RN)

3. Korlinium Scabbard
    Storage:
    Weapons:
  • Jewelled Mace
  • The Dagger of Vashna
    Special Items:
    Backpack Items:
  • Map of Tekaro
  • Lantern
  • Meal
  • Meal
  • Meal
    Money:
  • 18 Gold Crowns

Rules currently in effect:

ShadowWraith posted:

Automatically use a Potion of Alether for any fight with a Combat Ratio -7 or worse.

Tiggum posted:

Use Psi-surge never.

So we need votes for:
  1. Four new Disciplines
  2. A rule for Psi-surge/Kai-surge and Grand Weaponmastery preferences if we choose it
  3. New equipment
  4. Equipment to go into storage
  5. Equipment to come out of storage

Plus any thoughts or opinions you have about the CS/EP issue.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 21, 2018