Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Samuringa posted:

Jesus is your buddy in P3. And so is Satan, Lucifer, Samael, Gabriel...

Hes not just your buddy, hes the true representation of the protags soul.
The implication is that the p3 protag is another jesus.

As for SMT's 'alignments', theyre not really morality as they are factional alignments, which was kind of broadened in SMT3 where your endings are literally factional choices.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Well, 5 had Messiah as DLC but all of those were like a "greatest hits" of summons from the series.

Its a good point though I wonder why its done that way. They certainly didnt shy away from YHVH.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well, 5 had Messiah as DLC but all of those were like a "greatest hits" of summons from the series.

Its a good point though I wonder why its done that way. They certainly didnt shy away from YHVH.

YHVH is the god of 3 major religions. Jesus is only super special in one of those.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I appreciate the ship battles in Assassin's Creed Rogue, but I also appreciate that my ship has gatling cannons and I can mow down the enemy crew without even boarding.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Double Punctuation posted:

YHVH is the god of 3 major religions. Jesus is only super special in one of those.

Thats true for most deities in the SMT games.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

glad she is dead posted:

I've been playing Street Fighter III: Third Strike on and off since I first got it on DC, so about 17 years.

Picked it back up lately and I get a Time Out with both fighters at zero health and... three women walk on and judge who won the fight?!

What in the fuuuuuuck?! I have never, EVER seen this before. Cool though.

What's great about this is, it's bizarre enough to be one of those gaming myths.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TontoCorazon posted:

Is there a bible version of :goonsay:?

:apocrypha:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cleretic posted:

Fun fact: Persona 3 is the only direct instance in the entire series, including all spinoffs, of Jesus. And even in P3, it's not exact, because it's actually 'Messiah', implied to be the archetype of the messianic savior rather than any specific one... but I mean, come on, we all know where they're coming from.

I do generally respect that about Megaten. I dunno if it's a deliberate choice or the result of restrictions and regulations, but their staunch unwillingness to go for The J-Man (excepting the one time they kinda-sorta did) opens the playing field for a ton of really interesting pulls for big religious power-players.

Similarly, they've avoided letting you recruit the top figures of any religion as far as I know. Like, you can summon Vishnu or Shiva but not Brahma, you can't summon Buddha, you can't summon Zeus, etc. Actually, come to think of it, the only exception is Odin

Spoilers for a 12 year old game (Persona 3): And I think it's fair to let P3's protagonist get Messiah because he literally dies to save humanity from it's own desire for death

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Zeus does show up in Persona Q as a kind of semi-hidden bonus Persona for completing some optional sidequests.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
here's a really intense cool thing regarding game development and player perception

https://twitter.com/erwil9/status/986698061413052416
full article

again, all that changed is the rarity colors the weapons were, nothing at all changed mechanically

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A employee from Riot (League of Legends) once said that announced buff and nerfs had an effect on player's perception, even if they didn't actually happen:

quote:

There was one time when I was pretty new at Rito where I submitted a Vladimir nerf (removing the bonus speed from his pool) but forgot to actually submit the files into the patch. As a result, the patch notes went out and sentiment was that we had killed the champion. Vladimir’s play rate plummeted and his win rate decreased a bit, even though the changes never actually went out.

We had a similar instance when Riven was released where she was viewed as very weak. We hotfixed in some buffs and shortly after posting it to the forums, her play rate spiked and feedback was very positive. Players happily reported how great the buffs felt, even though the hotfix hadn’t actually gone live yet.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Double Punctuation posted:

Two, technically. Jesus is like the second most important person in the Quran iirc

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

RaspberryCommie posted:

Two, technically. Jesus is like the second most important person in the Quran iirc

The second most important prophet, at least

Caufman
May 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

here's a really intense cool thing regarding game development and player perception

full article

again, all that changed is the rarity colors the weapons were, nothing at all changed mechanically

Nah, the red ones shoot faster.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Caufman posted:

Nah, the red ones shoot faster.
There's no red-colored rarity level in fortnite :nallears:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Elizabethan Error posted:

There's no red-colored rarity level in fortnite :nallears:

wooooosh

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

flatluigi posted:

full article

Rarer=Better is an almost universal rule when it comes to loot in games, especially in multiplayer games where you get to show off your rare loot, I don't get what this is supposed to prove? That people trusted the stats the game gave them instead of performing a massive data analysis to prove that one really was rarer than the other before using it?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Guy Mann posted:

Rarer=Better is an almost universal rule when it comes to loot in games, especially in multiplayer games where you get to show off your rare loot, I don't get what this is supposed to prove? That people trusted the stats the game gave them instead of performing a massive data analysis to prove that one really was rarer than the other before using it?

You got fooled,eh?

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
I think the statistics could be more or less mind blowing, but that's depending on what an x% change in kills with a weapon means. The graph he showed was date vs. some percentage, and then the result they give is more/less kills.

If it's just "people got more kills with this weapon overall when we encouraged them to use it more by increasing the rarity color" that seems to fit their intentions perfectly. Rarity better reflecting effectiveness. It's still neat that it worked, but not some mindfreak insanity.

But with the percentage is it like the percentage of encounters using that weapon that resulted in kills? That stat going up would mean players are actually being more effective with the same exact gun.

If anyone knows weird video game math, educate my rear end.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
While the guns in question are both shotguns, they don't directly overlap. One is a spammier DPS shotgun and the other has a slower rate of fire with more raw punch. A blue tier tactical shotty is going to be unambiguously better than a green tier one, yes, but that rule of thumb doesn't neatly map onto other guns even of the same type.

My stray guess is that most players (especially younger ones) don't bother considering the relative advantages or disadvantages of different weapon models of the same type and when it comes down to one over another they'll default to picking the one with the best rarity.

Guy Mann posted:

So you have literally no idea what Fortnite is or how it works, huh.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Apr 20, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Rarer=Better is an almost universal rule when it comes to loot in games,

Someone never found that one legendary in Borderlands 2 that fires bullets that drunkenly veer sideways

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
In Mafia III, I was minding my own business when a garbage truck rammed me. Five bright orange cars showed up and crazy cultists with scary masks poured out and started firing at me and molotoving my car. A panicked witness ran for a payphone and called the police. She called them because I was a negro with a gun. Ah, the 70's in the South.

I do like how you can shoot someone who is in the middle of throwing an explosive and gently caress up their throw. It usually lands right at their feet.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BobKnob posted:

I do like how you can shoot someone who is in the middle of throwing an explosive and gently caress up their throw. It usually lands right at their feet.

Haven't games been doing that since... Goldeneye?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BobKnob posted:

In Mafia III, I was minding my own business when a garbage truck rammed me. Five bright orange cars showed up and crazy cultists with scary masks poured out and started firing at me and molotoving my car. A panicked witness ran for a payphone and called the police. She called them because I was a negro with a gun. Ah, the 70's in the South.

I love that, if you fire a gun where no one can see you, the police dispatch still says "A Negro with A Gun". It's probably just that no one cared to make different reactions for when you are and aren't spotted but I find it hilarious that at the first sound of gunshot people already grab their pitchforks and masks.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

StandardVC10 posted:

Someone never found that one legendary in Borderlands 2 that fires bullets that drunkenly veer sideways

Borderlands is a bad one for this because certain purples can vastly outdamage oranges, and theres only certain ones that are really worth it, and its usually the ones that are literally a purple gun but with some crazy damage or bullet multiplier.
Like a purple assault rifle that fires 9 bullets a pop and gets faster the more you hold down fire, and it has a ridic sized clip
vs
gun that is entirely unremarkable other than its bullets zigzag

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Apr 20, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I actually kinda enjoyed purple weapons still having a reason to exist once you have some oranges, especially since they’re more random in a game that’s all about random guns, while oranges have a lot of preset features

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only Borderlands 2 gun you need is the Evil Smasher (or was, until they fixed it :()

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
SMT:III Nocturne having a thoughtful neutral ending kind of blew me away at the time. I hate when I am trying to play things from my characters perspective and get punished for not being unrelentingly good or evil enough. It makes narrative sense in some series like KotOR but it still feels frustrating. I felt like SMT:IV was a big step backwards in this respect in that just unlocking the path for the proper neutral ending was a horrible balancing of law and chaos points that seemed unlikely to happen without a guide and a written record. The character arcs of your law/chaos buddies felt a lot less organic than the paths in Nocturne as well.

I can rarely stand to go evil in video games, but I was surprised at how enjoyable Tyranny made its decisions. The setting and the decisions you are presented with generally made sense and were consistent with you acting evil. Sure, there were unnecessarily cruel options and you could play an over the top evil jackass, but you could also play a lot of different consistently motivated characters that just happened to be bad people. Being able to side with the rebellion just to turn them into your own personal army and attempt to grab power was an awesome, entirely selfish, path to take. Its a shame that the game kind of abruptly ends.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

haveblue posted:

The only Borderlands 2 gun you need is THE GUN THAT SHOOTS SWORDS THAT EXPLODES INTO MORE SWORDS THAT ALSO EXPLODE

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I love a good Torgue shotgun, it's like having the Flak Cannon from UT.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

wafflemoose posted:

I love a good Torgue shotgun, it's like having the Flak Cannon from UT.

The first time I equipped a Torgue gun and saw it shot rockets, I was very, very happy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The first time I equipped a Torgue gun and saw it shot rockets, I was very, very happy.

:torgue: guns don't make you happy, they make you MANLY AS HELL. Look at the :torgue: gun in your hands. Now look between your legs. Yes, IT SHOOTS EXPLOSIONS TOO! Now look at your NEW RIPPLING TATTOOED BICEPS. It doesn't matter what you were or identified as before, because when you hold a :torgue: weapon spraying EXPLOSIONS WITH EVERY TRIGGER PULL, you. Are. MANLY. AS. HELL. :torgue:.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Favorite gimmicky gun (aren't they all?) was the legendary shotgun that flew around chasing after enemies when you reloaded and still had rounds in your mag.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I also loved the cheap piece of poo poo guns where you reloaded by throwing them at enemies and printing a new one, that was such a great concept.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I like the cursed gun that screams while you fire and announces your reloads

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:torgue: guns don't make you happy, they make you MANLY AS HELL. Look at the :torgue: gun in your hands. Now look between your legs. Yes, IT SHOOTS EXPLOSIONS TOO! Now look at your NEW RIPPLING TATTOOED BICEPS. It doesn't matter what you were or identified as before, because when you hold a :torgue: weapon spraying EXPLOSIONS WITH EVERY TRIGGER PULL, you. Are. MANLY. AS. HELL. :torgue:.

:chloe:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Novum posted:

The quest popup for that was great. "You're now the proud owner of a cursed weapon. Congratulations. Maybe."

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
They changed it to also slow you all the way down to a crawl, because otherwise you could ignore the curse pretty easily.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Novum posted:

My gf and I used to play online with a couple friends that had moved away from school for a couple years. When they found out I thought it was annoying, all 3 of them used that gun exclusively for as long as they could, and still kept it around afterwords. It was... something to behold at least.

RATATAT!

Yeah, I love the Borderlands series overall, but it really does showcase the best and worst of RNG. There's so many guns that have amazing concepts and then are just useless. But the biggest sin in those games is that Gearbox can't think of a way to make enemies harder than isn't 'Give it unspeakable amounts of hit points and make it kill you instantly'.

Since this is the little things in games thread, I'll say that I loved the Rakk hive boss in the original. You couldn't look at certain terrain features the same way after that. The name 'Friendship Gulag' from the second one is also hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The sheer nonsense in Creature from the Krusty Krab is amazing so far - the main idea is that each level is a dream each character is having dealing with their personal strengths and weaknesses/desires - Spongebob dreams of being a hotrod racer while finally earning his license, and the character's art styles actually change for that level to the grotesquely heavily outlined punk style cartoons, with bloodshot eyes and cracked teeth and poo poo. Currently fleeing a giant Krabby Patty as Plankton, who tried to make himself match it by using a growth ray to grow himself to 100 times his normal size - resulting in the average height of a normal fish.

It's really funny.