Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Matsuri posted:

Man, don't punish people who actually have good hygiene though. I want that promo, not BelerenTM brand deodorant that smells like Axe or something.

EDIT: also holy poo poo why has Spellstutter Sprite spiked so much. It's probably my all time favorite Magic card so I have a bunch of them but dang, my foil playset is like $40 now and I have a couple FNM promos worth like $15 each.

Probably Pauper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Some Numbers posted:

Probably Pauper?

It's pauper, and a bunch of streamers have been playing U/B Faeries on stream which can only help the value stay high

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Possibly. But for the card to spike to $11 from $2 (foil) just before Masters 25 in March seems strange when Sprite has been in Delver decks for years now.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 20, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Shadow225 posted:

I actually want to play Brawl. Shame that I would need to splurge on constructed staples.

God, same.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Matsuri posted:

Possibly. But for the card to spike to $11 from $2 (foil) just before Masters 25 in March seems strange when Sprite has been in Delver decks for years now.

Type - Faerie WIZARD

Maybe the MTG finance people are beginning to hedge on wizard tribal being a thing?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
idk I built my brawl deck for $9

I had to buy Desert of the Fervent, Mechanized Production, Perpetual Timepiece, Saheeli's Artistry, Shrewd Negotiation, Aethersquall Ancient, Experimental Aviator, Golden Guardian, and Skyship Plunderer

The rest I had already. If you draft or play Standard decks or go to Standard Showdown and get prize packs you'll have like half the cards already. I guess if you don't touch draft or Standard then you'll actually have to buy things though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheDemon posted:

idk I built my brawl deck for $9

I had to buy Desert of the Fervent, Mechanized Production, Perpetual Timepiece, Saheeli's Artistry, Shrewd Negotiation, Aethersquall Ancient, Experimental Aviator, Golden Guardian, and Skyship Plunderer

The rest I had already. If you draft or play Standard decks or go to Standard Showdown and get prize packs you'll have like half the cards already. I guess if you don't touch draft or Standard then you'll actually have to buy things though.

I don't know if I own more than 10 different standard cards. I bought whatever nonsense I needed for commander that wasn't more than like $2.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I sold everything that I had (which was just EDH stuff) last Christmas, so I would be starting from scratch. I could probably make something passable by dropping 10 bux on MODO (my initial idea was going all in with Sram), but I would absolutely want to try and hypertune it. I watched a few streams, and it was refreshing to see things like Shock being playable. The 60 card decks also sound a lot better than 100.

I am sure that the format will be solved and 'unfun' shortly, but I like the idea and think Wizards stumbled into something good here.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Yuzenn posted:

Type - Faerie WIZARD

Maybe the MTG finance people are beginning to hedge on wizard tribal being a thing?

Oh poo poo. UR Faeries/Delver in modern with bolt and the Wizard Bolt and Wizard Counterspell, maybe? I could gently caress with that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think people were experimenting with Faeries again when Jace got unbanned, as well.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Matsuri posted:

Oh poo poo. UR Faeries/Delver in modern with bolt and the Wizard Bolt and Wizard Counterspell, maybe? I could gently caress with that.

Wizard Bolt, Wizard Counterspell/Clique/Snapcaster/Stuttersprite is a hell of a core, and if you add in Delver and Opt it could get super rediculous.

It's like the versions I've been seeing around that try to take the Pauper version to modern, but better!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Matsuri posted:

paper pauper is currently growing in popularity. look up any other pauper staple with any amount of scarcity and you'll see the same spike

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Yuzenn posted:

Wizard Bolt, Wizard Counterspell/Clique/Snapcaster/Stuttersprite is a hell of a core, and if you add in Delver and Opt it could get super rediculous.

It's like the versions I've been seeing around that try to take the Pauper version to modern, but better!

turns out the secret to making delver work in modern is to take advantage of it's inability to flip

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Matsuri posted:

That sounds kind of bad, but it's the kind of bad I want to try as well. Put in some Snapcaster Mages too, since they're Wizards as well.

Elyv posted:

I think people were experimenting with Faeries again when Jace got unbanned, as well.

I'm playing a more tempo oriented UB Faeries list and I've been doing pretty good at my LGS, the only match up that feels a bit bad is Tron, but I think I could manage with more tighter play and mulling a bit more aggressively.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Gleeful Sabotage is a $3 card.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Why are we running Wizard Bolt in a format where Actual Bolt is legal?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Chalice on 1 has become too powerful

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
What's better than 4 Bolts? 8!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

If I have 4 bolts, then I get 4 more bolts, then I have 8 bolts

Man I dunno I was just thinking it'd be a fun budget deck (minus snapcaster because snap will never cost less than $stupid)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
LOL at Gilt-Leaf Palace being a 15 dollar card.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh I missed that Actual Bolt was already listed alongside Wizard Bolt, never mind.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

LOL at Gilt-Leaf Palace being a 15 dollar card.

What year is this, is this Lorwyn standard again?!?!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

Go to a noon prerelease and claim you're going to the Chinese midnight prerelease.

I've only done prereleases in Chinese. It takes a bigger toll in the midnight one.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

One of the guy son my team is selling his foiled out jund for a gastric bypass surgery.

My Team

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I kind of want to build a Brawl deck on MTGO since it's like 90 tix or less, but then I'd have to actually obtain the cards and that sounds like a huge hassle. Also literally every deck should be playing Scarab God either as the commander or just in the deck, so that kind of limits the available options.

Matsuri posted:

Buyouts of dumb pauper cards always makes me laugh.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm I imagining it, or is it harder to get Uncommon wildcards in Arena than rare? Maybe just have more demand, I have a new deck and need explore cards which are all uncommon.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm I imagining it, or is it harder to get Uncommon wildcards in Arena than rare? Maybe just have more demand, I have a new deck and need explore cards which are all uncommon.

It did feel like that to me when starting. But that's really just a very deck dependent thing - atm I have a few spare U wildcards I haven't exchanged for more spell deserts but more constricted by rare wildcards.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hellsau posted:

I kind of want to build a Brawl deck on MTGO since it's like 90 tix or less, but then I'd have to actually obtain the cards and that sounds like a huge hassle. Also literally every deck should be playing Scarab God either as the commander or just in the deck, so that kind of limits the available options.

Brawl is a format that exists so you can take your draft chaff and do something with it beyond "put it in a box somewhere."

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

I recommend this deck of my own design.

https://deckstats.net/decks/21329/953781-brawl-pillow-fort/en

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Here's a very silly but consistent turn 6 combo deck in Dominaria Standard. It's also terrible.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1048662#online

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Holy lol. The Dark Preacher has been completely bought out at tcg and the cheapest NM copy of it there is 99$.

Yesterday it was 25.

lol

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
There are a few non-NM ones for like $15 right now.

Is it really worth that though?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Matsuri posted:

There are a few non-NM ones for like $15 right now.

Is it really worth that though?

Aside from having pretty good Quinton Hoover art it's not a very good card.

So. No.

It's just another stupid card on The List for MTGFinance to aetidicially inflate the price of to make money on its scarcity.

These people are probably the same kind who buy into cryptocurrencies that are being actively Pump-and-Dump-ed. I'm just not sure which side of the scheme they're on.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 21, 2018

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
Also, the last two Masters sets were garbage and the future of the Masters line is unclear atm, so people are speccing hard on the reprint fodder. As if Wizards isn't working on a rebrand for Iconic 2.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
3-0 with 8-whack at Modern FNM tonight, 6-0 in games with zero sideboarding because my sideboard was a thrown together pile of Dragon Claws, Grafdiggers Cages, Smash to Smitheroons and Tormod's Crypts and no one played anything worth siding in any of those against.
Goblin Grenade confirmed for best card in Modern, Fallen Empires 4ever. :black101:

God I love playing mono-red decks against Death's Shadow players who aren't very good at the deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cernunnos posted:

These people are probably the same kind who buy into cryptocurrencies that are being actively Pump-and-Dump-ed. I'm just not sure which side of the scheme they're on.

I don't think whoever bought out Preacher will ever sell enough copies to make back what they spent on it, let alone turn a profit.

But they're definitely going to look at the price and multiply it by the number of copies they have and think they came out ahead, because that's how these people's brains work.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Jabor posted:

I don't think whoever bought out Preacher will ever sell enough copies to make back what they spent on it, let alone turn a profit.

But they're definitely going to look at the price and multiply it by the number of copies they have and think they came out ahead, because that's how these people's brains work.

it's just really weird that people try to do this with the most random cards.

like I've met the guy who cornered the market on LEDs, and while that took a huge amount of money, the demand for LED's is inflexible enough that he can probably expect to move them at a 30-50% markup as time goes on.

the requirements for this to be the case are NOT "is on the reserve list"

e: ok i actually checked on the mtgfinance reddit and this isn't even a buyout, it's just straight up trying to manipulate the tcg mid price with bot accounts

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 21, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

arena isn't much fun when literally everyone i play seems to be slamming full playsets of scarab gods on curve while i'm durdling around with the rank starter decks dropping grizzly bears and poo poo

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hauki posted:

arena isn't much fun when literally everyone i play seems to be slamming full playsets of scarab gods on curve while i'm durdling around with the rank starter decks dropping grizzly bears and poo poo

Make vamps it's your only hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Hauki posted:

Well for a minor investment of $200 every 3 months your F2P rear end can start winning games!