Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

dreesemonkey posted:

Are C6 grand sports any more reasonable? I feel that would be a good option compared to a C6 Z06.

All of those are newer, and a lot are up-optioned, so they're holding their value well.
At the same price, I'd probably still take the LS7 over the LS3 and magnetic ride control.

e: the cheap C6Zs are the 2007/8 ones with the smaller dry sump and none of the new doodads like MRC or carbon body work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I think the GS is going to hold a surprising amount of value. It also fits into the category of "unusual mix of options" that the "only takes it out to wipe it with a diaper" crowd gets a massive boner for.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It does have a targa top, which makes it a bit more enjoyable than the Z06.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kimbo305 posted:

It does have a targa top, which makes it a bit more enjoyable than the Z06.

If you're driving sedately enough to notice what top you have on your Z06, you're doing it wrong.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MrYenko posted:

If you're driving sedately enough to notice what top you have on your Z06, you're doing it wrong.

I assume the targa top makes more noise at speed no?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah I think the GS is going to hold a surprising amount of value. It also fits into the category of "unusual mix of options" that the "only takes it out to wipe it with a diaper" crowd gets a massive boner for.

I'll second this. When I worked at a copy shop, I had a guy come in to get the window sticker from his GS laminated. He looked pretty much exactly what you would expect him to look like.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

He looked pretty much exactly what you would expect him to look like.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

:laffo:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I think the targa top is what I miss most about my Corvette. Sometimes you're just driving around an area where you'll never get over 60mph and it still makes everything fun without your neck getting all sunburned.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

In almost 3 years of ownership of my C5 I think I'd taken the top off less than 10 times. It was just annoying enough to do that I didn't bother.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

This could be my Corvette owning uncle 100%. It's perfect.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

AlmightyPants posted:

This could be my Corvette owning uncle 100%. It's perfect.

No cellphone in grossly-oversized Otterbox clipped to the belt, no sale.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

The Midniter posted:

White or tan baseball cap. Golf/Country club logo.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

opengl128 posted:

In almost 3 years of ownership of my C5 I think I'd taken the top off less than 10 times. It was just annoying enough to do that I didn't bother.

Was it a weather thing or do you drive short distances so it wasn't worth it? I thought taking it off was super easy, but I also have a garage so I'd just leave it off when I got home.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Midniter posted:

Dude, don't doxx me. I've never owned a Corvette in my life (I gave up on Otterboxes and belt holsters years ago. I'll cop to still owning jorts, though.)

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Traded the Jeep GC SRT in for something a bit classier.

In full rear seat luxury mode

Passenger seat's filled with crap from the Jeep

It's an 07 LS460 with all the fun stuff like the Mark Levinson stereo and power reclining rear seats that have barely ever been used. There was still plastic protection film on the metal parts in the back like the door sills. That's after 104k miles and it looks and drives like new so it was impossible to pass up for just $15000. There's a couple minor issues like a stuck ashtray door and the lumbar gears are toast in the driver's seat but the OEM manufacturer sends replacement gear kits out for free and mine are in the mail already after emailing them today. Car's great.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Are you three feet tall?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

Are you three feet tall?

Are you talking about the driver's seat? The perspective there is weird because I had the seat forward to get at the back to check out the lumbar motor drive, plus the wheel tilts and retracts when it turns off, pluuus the bottom cushion is nearly fully extended forward because the lumbar breaks in the fully extended position and it pushes you forward in the seat until it's fixed.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jymmybob posted:

Traded the Jeep GC SRT in for something a bit classier.

In full rear seat luxury mode

Passenger seat's filled with crap from the Jeep

It's an 07 LS460 with all the fun stuff like the Mark Levinson stereo and power reclining rear seats that have barely ever been used. There was still plastic protection film on the metal parts in the back like the door sills. That's after 104k miles and it looks and drives like new so it was impossible to pass up for just $15000. There's a couple minor issues like a stuck ashtray door and the lumbar gears are toast in the driver's seat but the OEM manufacturer sends replacement gear kits out for free and mine are in the mail already after emailing them today. Car's great.

You spent $15k on a 12 year old McMansion spec Toyota with 104k miles on it to replace a 475HP Jeep. You may have reached AI Singularity.

Do you at least still have the Porsches?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah.... that does not strike me as a good deal. At all.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Yeah Kelly Bluebook for that in my area is looking like 11.6-13.6k. But if it's really pristine then that's cool, whatever floats your boat.

Out of curiosity what's the difference between a regular LS460 and the L edition? I see there's like 100lbs weight difference and worse fuel economy, but don't see what causes it.

Edit: I assume the 100lbs isn't just the heated steering wheel and backup camera, I mean.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

davebo posted:

Yeah Kelly Bluebook for that in my area is looking like 11.6-13.6k. But if it's really pristine then that's cool, whatever floats your boat.

Out of curiosity what's the difference between a regular LS460 and the L edition? I see there's like 100lbs weight difference and worse fuel economy, but don't see what causes it.

Edit: I assume the 100lbs isn't just the heated steering wheel and backup camera, I mean.

The L has an extended wheelbase, I believe. More rear legroom.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Shrapnig posted:

You spent $15k on a 12 year old McMansion spec Toyota with 104k miles on it to replace a 475HP Jeep. You may have reached AI Singularity.

Still have the Porsches otherwise I would have gotten something more exciting. I'm selling the 996 C2 and 968 but the 700hp 996 turbo is staying and you can see it in the background of one of the pictures. The jeep actually was pretty bad as a DD for the price range and already rattled the suspension loose that the dealer couldn't troubleshoot so for 1/3 the price the LS was a nice deal since it still had all the same gear that mattered for 30 minute commutes plus is actually comfortable. The Jeep seats were rear end, MDS is a travesty, and it rattled and squeaked unlike any car I've ever owned and that was only 37k miles in.

The L edition is 6 inches longer but otherwise the same.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

An old huge boat Lexus seems like a way better and more comfortable DD than a hopped up Jeep, so I totally get it, especially if you’ve already got other better fast cars to scratch the itch.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
What's wrong with getting an LS? On par with the Germans in terms of luxury and comfort, but without poo poo breaking all the time. I'd take it over a Jeep every day. I think comfort is very underrated. Nothing beats getting out of a car after hours of driving without feeling tired. Meanwhile in my little Alfa, I get "tired" after driving for 40min on the motorway. In a newer V70 I could drive for 8 hours (with a quick bathroom stop) straight, and arrive without feeling more tired than if I'd flown there.
I kinda want to get a 3GS 450H for longer distance driving.

VVV: Yeah, true I kinda omitted to think about the miles. Funnily enough (I had to check), there isn't a single LS of around that year, with similar miles that you can get for less than $20-25k in Sweden.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 20, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The Lexus isn't the issue people have with it, it's the amount paid for something with over 100k miles. I'm sure it will continue one running forever because that's what the LS does.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

AlanPartridge posted:

What's wrong with getting an LS? On par with the Germans in terms of luxury and comfort, but without poo poo breaking all the time. I'd take it over a Jeep every day. I think comfort is very underrated. Nothing beats getting out of a car after hours of driving without feeling tired. Meanwhile in my little Alfa, I get "tired" after driving for 40min on the motorway. In a newer V70 I could drive for 8 hours (with a quick bathroom stop) straight, and arrive without feeling more tired than if I'd flown there.
I kinda want to get a 3GS 450H for longer distance driving.

VVV: Yeah, true I kinda omitted to think about the miles. Funnily enough (I had to check), there isn't a single LS of around that year, with similar miles that you can get for less than $20-25k in Sweden.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

The Lexus isn't the issue people have with it, it's the amount paid for something with over 100k miles. I'm sure it will continue one running forever because that's what the LS does.

It's really not that high for the Cleveland area because there's not a lot to choose from that are in good condition. This one spent most of its life in California and has a full 50+ record dealer service history plus every option other than AWD and air suspension which are the only things that really break. I probably could have shopped around a wider area and saved 1-2k by flying out and driving it back but being able to see it in person and drive it prior to making a big time or money investment was worth it.

I'm planning to drive it for 5+ years so if I end up selling it for 7k then it's still cheaper to own than almost any other car that are at the same feature and comfort level. After owning an E55, S4, the Jeep, and a pile of Porsches I'm just sort of burned out on being a driving enthusiast all the time and this is a welcome change of pace. It also reminds me of my old 95 SC400 that I drove the balls off of and sold at 130k miles that was the same color scheme and never gave me a single issue that I still miss.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Jymmybob posted:

It's really not that high for the Cleveland area because there's not a lot to choose from that are in good condition. This one spent most of its life in California and has a full 50+ record dealer service history plus every option other than AWD and air suspension which are the only things that really break. I probably could have shopped around a wider area and saved 1-2k by flying out and driving it back but being able to see it in person and drive it prior to making a big time or money investment was worth it.

I'm planning to drive it for 5+ years so if I end up selling it for 7k then it's still cheaper to own than almost any other car that are at the same feature and comfort level. After owning an E55, S4, the Jeep, and a pile of Porsches I'm just sort of burned out on being a driving enthusiast all the time and this is a welcome change of pace. It also reminds me of my old 95 SC400 that I drove the balls off of and sold at 130k miles that was the same color scheme and never gave me a single issue that I still miss.

it’s a sensible car, not something anyone’d fall madly in love with. I get not really wanting to spend ages hunting for a better price or condition, driving a slightly boring and slightly overpriced Polo myself currently.

It’s going to go next month though, being a company car at a job i’m leaving. I’m definitely doing the reverse and finding something a little less practical now that I can afford it. Not set on anything but I saw (& heard) the new polo gti which looks neat imo (except for the silly rims) and I’m definitely going to take that out for a test drive when the manual version is available. But second hand, for that money the options are basically endless, it’s great

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
On reflection I have turned into an old man with the barely driven supercar parked next to a white on beige luxury sedan and I'm a brand preference away from being jorts man and moving next to a golf course down south.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. I’m jealous of the jorts life sometime, to me that just means stability.

A well kept LS430/LS460 and a fun second car seems like the ideal garage for me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I love my Crown Vic because it's a big V8 couch that rarely breaks, and when it does it's cheap and parts are ubiquitous.
I would prefer a Lexus LS, because more luxury and a bit smaller, but the price was right on my cop car ($1500 family deal.)
I added carpet, cloth seat in the rear, stereo, and some Mustang wheels to make it a bit less utilitarian, and I'm good.

edit: old picture. I've since also added black headlights and LED taillights. Need to get some beauty shots of it with those. Right now it's dirty as heck.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 20, 2018

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

davebo posted:

Was it a weather thing or do you drive short distances so it wasn't worth it? I thought taking it off was super easy, but I also have a garage so I'd just leave it off when I got home.

Definitely not weather as I drove it pretty much the same conditions I'd drive my Miata, and I never drove that thing with the top up. I think it was just annoying enough to do by myself without worrying about dropping it, especially since they just just as much as a Miata hardtop.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

opengl128 posted:

Definitely not weather as I drove it pretty much the same conditions I'd drive my Miata, and I never drove that thing with the top up. I think it was just annoying enough to do by myself without worrying about dropping it, especially since they just just as much as a Miata hardtop.

Oh did you have a painted top? I only ever had the glass which was super light. I don't think I've ever held the regular painted top but it makes sense that they'd be heavier.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Added vehicle #2 to my collection, ole moby dick there in the back:

Old E-350 airport shuttle with a 7.3 powerstroke and 100k miles. Doesn't seem bad for $2k, but then there is the rust. There is always the rust. Needless to say I am open to any goon recommendations for good welders in the Northern Virginia area :v: The plan is to convert her into a mobile home and live in it forever with my e36 towed behind once the floor isn't in imminent danger of falling onto the roadway.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Xy Hapu posted:

Old E-350 airport shuttle with a 7.3 powerstroke and 100k miles. Doesn't seem bad for $2k, but then there is the rust. There is always the rust. Needless to say I am open to any goon recommendations for good welders in the Northern Virginia area :v: The plan is to convert her into a mobile home and live in it forever with my e36 towed behind once the floor isn't in imminent danger of falling onto the roadway.

I feel like you're going to find so much lost stuff when you take that interior apart.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I feel like you're going to find so much lost stuff when you take that interior apart.

I'm banking on someone having dropped a really good angle grinder in there somewhere, otherwise all my plans are ruined.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Seems fine to me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Xy Hapu posted:

The good ol' "if you can't see it, we ain't paintin it" method of body construction.

If you have a ODB II dongle, you can get a program called forscan(free for pc version) that lets you do buzz tests and cylinder contribution tests to give you a good idea of injector/engine health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

The good ol' "if you can't see it, we ain't paintin it" method of body construction.

If you have a ODB II dongle, you can get a program called forscan(free for pc version) that lets you do buzz tests and cylinder contribution tests to give you a good idea of injector/engine health.

I am honest to god concerned that the plywood flooring is now a significant fraction of what's holding the perimeter of the deck together, and once I remove it the few intact bits of square tubing will groan in agony just before the entire back shell comically plops to the ground. At that point I will sigh, drive the van out from under it, and make my home whereever it happened to fall.

Thanks for the link, that program looks fantastic! I have a dongle but the shuttle is a '95 so I'm not sure it got the OBDII treatment, I will have to look in the morning. If not I may have to see how feasible it would be to retrofit a slightly later econoline ECU or something. Call me spoiled but pre-OBDII were some dark, dark days, lit intermittently only by the morse code of a hundred million haunted check engine lights.