Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
I didn't ask for this, but I'm just fine with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Skippy McPants posted:

Game is spending more and more time on the front page of Steam's top seller list. I don't know what HBS and Paradox's sales expectations are, but I hope they're pleased with all the positive buzz around the game.

This is awesome. On the other hand, how the hell is Far Cry 5 still the top selling game?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Between a couple videos and the soundtrack I'm in. Excited to try this out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Coldforge posted:

This is awesome. On the other hand, how the hell is Far Cry 5 still the top selling game?

Popular series, no other big 3A releases out this year yet on PC. Doesn't matter if it's a middling game with mostly repetitive mechanics and poo poo story, people love them some annualized big-budget shlock. Why do you think Marvel movies are so popular?

And I say that with no malice. I've enjoyed Marvel movies and Fry Cry games. Big spectacle with a broad appeal sells, what can ya do!

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Ugh, I'm so hyped for this game but I've realized all over again why I can't watch streamers. 'Let me take the heaviest starting mech, with better melee attack than most heavy mechs, and turn it into an LRM boat :downsgun:'

loving hell, Beagle, you can just buy an SRM rack for it!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

And he's stripping the already marginal armour on the starting Spider to fit the Locust's MGs.

This can in no way end poorly.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beagle'll get there eventually but he'll have to stumble around the hard way first.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Anticheese posted:

I got my key. :toot:

Me too! :toot:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Me four! Yay, I can stop being paranoid!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:same:

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Coucho Marx posted:

Ugh, I'm so hyped for this game but I've realized all over again why I can't watch streamers. 'Let me take the heaviest starting mech, with better melee attack than most heavy mechs, and turn it into an LRM boat :downsgun:'

If only we had some kind of resident Mechspert. :v:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, I had to stop watching when he started customizing mechs, I was close to screaming at the screen. I learned p. much everything I know about Battletech from PTN's thread, and even I know he was making some atrocious decisions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Detroit jokes write themselves.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Detroit jokes write themselves.

I read that with this playing in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_AkU8wJ1ZA

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Coucho Marx posted:

Every loving streamer. Every streamer fell into this trap and still had no clue. I've watched all of them.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Internet Explorer posted:

Every loving streamer. Every streamer fell into this trap and still had no clue. I've watched all of them.

The trap of blowing all their money at the shop? Or (more likely) the trap of forgetting that the shop doesn't exist and not using it to fill gaps in loadouts?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Internet Explorer posted:

People view the shadowhawk's main gun as the AC/5. The AC/5 has a minimum range, thus they feel they should keep the shadowhawk back instead of just firing the AC/5 while closing in.

People don't understand bracket builds basically.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

AC/5s will never help you
Trust only your fists

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The Shadowhawk makes a mean SRM/melee mech, most of the mech they’re having trouble facing would probably go done after a good one (melee) two (SRMs) punch.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I also noticed that streamers have a pretty bad hit rate on pronouncing "Sumire" correctly. It's "soo-MEE-ray" and they're pronouncing it "SOO-mire."

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I didn't notice the game ever explaining what mech characteristics make it better rat melee, though, to defend Beaglerush a little :v:

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Back Hack posted:

The Shadowhawk makes a mean SRM/melee mech, most of the mech they’re having trouble facing would probably go done after a good one (melee) two (SRMs) punch.

A lot of streamers don't seem to notice the melee damage values. The Shadow Hawk's melee is good enough to strip all armour from whatever part of a (light) mech it hits, and straight-up destroy any (again, light mech) unarmoured section :swoon::swoon:

Ciaphas posted:

I didn't notice the game ever explaining what mech characteristics make it better rat melee, though, to defend Beaglerush a little :v:

See above, but when refitting there's also a description of the mech and what it's good at, plus one of the bars is 'melee capability' (or similar), which likely refers to melee damage relative to other mechs.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Coldforge posted:

If you want to feel depressed, GTA V has not left Steam's top 10 selling games every week since it came out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So if I know literally nothing about Battletech will I be able to enjoy this game? I've just been looking at as another strategy game I could enjoy but am totally lost when it comes to the setting and story.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

So if I know literally nothing about Battletech will I be able to enjoy this game? I've just been looking at as another strategy game I could enjoy but am totally lost when it comes to the setting and story.

I dont see why not. The game from what I've seen does explain to you whats going on.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
My only previous exposure to Battletech was playing a two-mission demo for Mechcommander when that came out. Didn't even know that the IP was called 'Battletech' before HBS' kickstarter was launched, and I had such an incredible amount of fun with the backer beta skirmish fights that I'm literally counting down the hours until launch.

If you enjoy turn based tactics, I think there's real good chances of you having a good time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

The game's set in a relative backwater well away from most of the "main" backstory factions of the setting, so you should be pretty good to go even without knowing anything. Basically all you need to know is that there's giant robots and everything is pseudo-feudal.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Do you like robots? Do you like shooting things with robots and/or punching things with robots? If so, yes. Pick your space nationality based on what flag you think looks cooler.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

From watching streams there's plenty to read Lore-wise in the form of hover text, so kind of best of all worlds.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I only know a little bit and I bought it. I play a lot of turn-based games and I like seeing mechs blow each other up.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

TOOT BOOT posted:

I play a lot of turn-based games and I like seeing mechs blow each other up.

Welcome aboard the Hype Train! Only three days to go!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I did own one of the FASA box sets as a kid but never got around to playing it. So this will be my first experience actually playing it other than 3-4 games of MWO.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

MechaCrash posted:

I also noticed that streamers have a pretty bad hit rate on pronouncing "Sumire" correctly. It's "soo-MEE-ray" and they're pronouncing it "SOO-mire."
To be fair, that was a problem in the office for quite a while until we trained each other on the right way to say it (and a variety of other things, like Coromodir and Magistracy, that streamers seem to have trouble with).

Also re: Beagle and the SHD, I kept saying 'PUNCH STUFF' in chat but it was so spammy he didn't see it. Nikki, on the other hand, picked that up right away and went to town, punching every drat thing she could.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Internet Kraken posted:

To continue chiming in, the game's intro sections are angled a fair bit at people who have minimal, if any, Battletech/Mechwarrior experience. The game will do a good job filling you in on all the basics you need to know, so don't worry. There's plenty of mouseovers on terms and whatnot if you want to be filled in on a bit of extra lore and context.

isildur posted:

To be fair, that was a problem in the office for quite a while until we trained each other on the right way to say it (and a variety of other things, like Coromodir and Magistracy, that streamers seem to have trouble with).

Sumire's been a problem name for weebs for ages; I know a lot of old-school Sakura Wars fans got tripped up by a character of the same name in the early days, too.

(I have to ask: is she a Sakura Wars reference? :v: )

Also, gently caress, I am seriously starting to overhype for this game. I have no idea how the gently caress I'm supposed to survive until Tuesday.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

isildur posted:

Also re: Beagle and the SHD, I kept saying 'PUNCH STUFF' in chat but it was so spammy he didn't see it. Nikki, on the other hand, picked that up right away and went to town, punching every drat thing she could.

he's still refraining from melee, also he founds a bug where 4 apcs are supposed to get in a zone to be picked up by a drop ship, he jumped his SHD into the spot one of the APC's wanted to go so it went outside the zone and has stayed there

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Tythas posted:

he's still refraining from melee, also he founds a bug where 4 apcs are supposed to get in a zone to be picked up by a drop ship, he jumped his SHD into the spot one of the APC's wanted to go so it went outside the zone and has stayed there

Well, now he's done two DFAs in a row! But yep, combat's over and it's bugged out.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That's a really bad bug, hopefully it can get fixed quickly.

If nothing else that sort of mission should autocomplete if you kill all the enemy mechs.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Some Youtube law channel had a look at the lawsuit between Harmony Gold and Piranha Games, Harebrained Schemes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE1nOjj23C4

It's a nice little summary that comes to the conclusion that Harmony Gold does not have the rights they claim they have. i.e. the characters/mechs. And because that would but too easy , it seems the company they claim gave them the rights, Tatsunoko, doesn't have rights to the characters either.

Total clusterfuck

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Halman posted:

If only we had some kind of resident Mechspert. :v:

You tried, Halman. I don't have enough stream views to compete with those guys getting five viewers.

Which is entirely my fault for not band-wagoning Friday the 13th or [generic killbox "survival" game] and not having streamed anything in months. On the plus side, I now have a second monitor so when I do stream on Wednesday I'll be able to engage with the chat. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think your problem is that SA has probably reached market saturation at this point anyway. Everyone who wants to watch you has already preordered the game anyway :v: