Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I wish late game wasn’t so uneventful, or so easy to reach :smithfrog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

dragonshardz posted:

At least those dead spaces you've already filled with props will now be functional? I do like that they're officially adding/supporting pedestrian roads as well.

One of their employees seems to be insisting that there is some kind of "filler tool" on reddit and the preview screenshots have wall to wall buildings.

Who knows what that means because the screenshots with nice, organic wall to wall city blocks they're showing off on their website have Move It and Prop Anarchy's UI elements visibly present.

so uh

Baronjutter posted:

From what I can gather the new DLC is just them adding pedestrian paths to the base game, something we've been making large parks from for year(s) now. Then just added some more park things to plop along the paths. There's some sort of new district system, which they seem to love adding to all their DLC, which I presume will do little to nothing.

Park districts are giant parks regardless of what buildings are in them, which I believe means that this DLC will enable some pretty neat stuff like giant national parks with scenic vistas that are actually represented in some way within the simulation.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The gently caress is that eye searing floor pattern in that theme park.

The whole place looks like someone's first game of Roller Coaster Tycoon, lol. I like how there is 2-3 copies of most of the rides.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm far too disillusioned to be the slightest bit excited. Even without them obviously lying about it by using mods (unless the mod is getting added to the game).

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The gently caress is that eye searing floor pattern in that theme park.
It's hideous. :gonk:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
As long as I can actually make something like that in game, i'll get it.

Mods will pick up the slack

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm just excited that trees will now buffer noise.

dogstile posted:

And if nothing else, they've been deliberately building things where their own development is limited to be very mod-enabling.

One of the notes on this expansion is that the free patch will add "new modding features, including submeshmodding and an improved camera system so users can control the camera with scripts"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I find it funny they have to use move-it and other mods to make their euro-buildings actually not look ridiculous in their promotional pictures.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I find it funny they have to use move-it and other mods to make their euro-buildings actually not look ridiculous in their promotional pictures.

This is what really gets me because "place props anywhere in parks" and "fill spaces between buildings" are two of the features of this DLC and they used community mods to do both in their promo shots. Like uhhh ? ? ?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

While I'm asking, I'd love to find some atomic ranches for my LD residential.

I thought I'd post the answer to my own request in case anyone else is looking for them, too. This small but growing collection of mid-century homes from a relatively new asset creator scratches the atomic ranch itch perfectly. I haven't tried her drive-in or her tiki bar yet.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
are all the fences/walls in the screenshots hand plopped? i had interpreted it as they are either adding equivalent of prop line tool or maybe walls that function like roads

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

dogstile posted:

As long as I can actually make something like that in game, i'll get it.

Literally every DLC for this game.

Only substantial stuff that the DLCs added were trams and bike-lanes.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

Literally every DLC for this game.

Only substantial stuff that the DLCs added were trams and bike-lanes.

And ferries. And the "eco" buildings which are not garishly oversaturated like some of the default buildings. Blimps and cable cars are cool too. Helicopter-based EMS/PD/FD if you pick up Natural Disasters and shut off random disasters and weather so you don't get forest fires everywhere.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

"turn off the TV" posted:

Park districts are giant parks regardless of what buildings are in them, which I believe means that this DLC will enable some pretty neat stuff like giant national parks with scenic vistas that are actually represented in some way within the simulation.

:gasp: They got my letter!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

One of their employees seems to be insisting that there is some kind of "filler tool" on reddit and the preview screenshots have wall to wall buildings.

Who knows what that means because the screenshots with nice, organic wall to wall city blocks they're showing off on their website have Move It and Prop Anarchy's UI elements visibly present.

so uh

Lmao

At this point I feel like colossal must have accidentally made the greatest city builder of all time

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

VostokProgram posted:

Lmao

At this point I feel like colossal must have accidentally made the greatest city builder of all time

They seem to have stumbled into it with a few smart core design decisions like making it super mod-friendly. CO itself seems to have at best a tenuous grasp on why people dig the game, see e.g. 3 years of questionable DLC and that one interview the CEO or lead designer or whatever gave where she says she plays to maximize profit and doesn't see why people would do anything else.

The other option is that we who want to build realistic-looking cities are the grognards of city sims going :bahgawd: while most people want a lighter experience. But super realistic and detailed stuff always traffics well on the CS subreddit which I would guess is made up of more or less mainstream players.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Nah, it might not be practically 100% of the users like The Something Awful Forums but there are plenty of spergs on reddit too

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Bold Robot posted:

They seem to have stumbled into it with a few smart core design decisions like making it super mod-friendly. CO itself seems to have at best a tenuous grasp on why people dig the game, see e.g. 3 years of questionable DLC and that one interview the CEO or lead designer or whatever gave where she says she plays to maximize profit and doesn't see why people would do anything else.

The other option is that we who want to build realistic-looking cities are the grognards of city sims going :bahgawd: while most people want a lighter experience. But super realistic and detailed stuff always traffics well on the CS subreddit which I would guess is made up of more or less mainstream players.

Honestly the latter bit was the same with the SC4 crowd. You had a bunch of people who were really :bahgawd: about building realistic cities with realistic traffic infrastructure, which spawned projects like NAM and CAM, but also a lot of people who didn't care so much about realism and just made what they liked. The community has in some part slowly moved over to CSL from SC4, so it has a similar structure - bsquiklehausen, for example, made a TON of railfan assets and automata for SC4.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I'm not sure I'd take SA or Reddit as being representative of the over-all player base. It's exceedingly common for games to have huge portions of their players never join the communities, and those who do are far more likely to be the... more invested people. There was that survey a while back and while I'm mostly pulling this numbers out of my I'm pretty sure it suggested well over half the players never touched a mod, and most of those that did only a couple. Not to say they should ignore these highly invested players, but they do somewhat support them with the effort they put into mod support.

The game as it is out of the package is very easy to play casually, without having to invest large time-blocks to achieve anything. The DLC almost seems to go out of its way to add features without adding new complexity and systems as part of its design even if it comes at the cost of potential.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Incidentally, I do wish the game was more friendly to small layouts. It's really hard to actually play using growable houses that are only a couple tiles long/wide because they can't house many people, and the whole gameplay structure is built around the gigantic 4x4 or bigger growables that house like frickin 15 people apiece. There are so many cool little tiny houses that you will never see because growables are coded to squeeze into the maximum size available. If there are any changes I want to see in CS2, it'd be making the numbers game in all areas way smaller in scale.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I think the new park system looks great. I am anxious to use it in my realistic suburban city to designate parks that are bigger than a 4x4 box and put trails down througout them. And have that entire area provide a boost to the nearby neighborhoods, not just the individual pieces that I scatter throughout it trying to fake it.

You know ... like a real park.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

dragonshardz posted:

And ferries. And the "eco" buildings which are not garishly oversaturated like some of the default buildings. Blimps and cable cars are cool too. Helicopter-based EMS/PD/FD if you pick up Natural Disasters and shut off random disasters and weather so you don't get forest fires everywhere.

Yeah, most DLC has had something that i'm happy to pick up (on sale) because of a core feature. When I get around to picking this game up again, i'll likely not play the usual way (GIANT CITY LETS GO WOOOOOO) and try and go for something smaller but eye pleasing.

Overwatch competitive season ends in 4 days, so maybe then.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Incidentally, I do wish the game was more friendly to small layouts. It's really hard to actually play using growable houses that are only a couple tiles long/wide because they can't house many people, and the whole gameplay structure is built around the gigantic 4x4 or bigger growables that house like frickin 15 people apiece. There are so many cool little tiny houses that you will never see because growables are coded to squeeze into the maximum size available. If there are any changes I want to see in CS2, it'd be making the numbers game in all areas way smaller in scale.

They could make a mint with a "Builder's Edition" or something that is just the base game but everything rescaled smaller.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

CJacobs posted:

The workaround I use for this is to create themes with only the house sizes I want, but it does mean I have to futz around with themes and districts a lot more than I would otherwise. Realistic pop mod makes 4x4 LR a horrible waste, but even without it, you get more population out of a street lined with 1x1 homes than 4x4s:

I wish there were global settings for max building size for each zoning type instead, and minimum too since 1x1s that otherwise look great look like those ridiculous tiny houses when the game grows them next to a 4x4 (not unrealistic, though, if you’ve ever seen a new mcmansion built on a lot in a 1950s suburb).

While I’m going through my wish list, I wish I could theme road segments instead of districts, or just have themeable zoning. I guess at that level of detail I might as well just plop everything, but I guess I’m more at the nerd aquarium level than nerd bonsai.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CJacobs posted:

You can get whatever size buildings you want if you just zone appropriately sized lots, and Realistic Population and Consumption makes structure capacity be based on density and structure size so a town full of 1x1 low density rowhomes will have a higher population density than one filled with 4x4 detached housing

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

You can get whatever size buildings you want if you just zone appropriately sized lots, and Realistic Population and Consumption makes structure capacity be based on density and structure size so a town full of 1x1 low density rowhomes will have a higher population density than one filled with 4x4 detached housing

Yes and no. If you don’t want any spacing between them, the game will use the biggest ones it can fit into the whole space. Luckily there’s the building themes mod.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Plop everything, use the search box mod and type in 1x1, 2x1, 2x2, etc. in the appropriate categories.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The answer any time you want something to actually look good in this game is

Koesj posted:

Plop everything

Sad but true

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Creating custom themes or what ever using the good mod not the awful vanilla theme editor thing you can do a lot. Like you can just filter out buildings above or below a certain size. I edited out all the over-sized low density stuff and kept everything 2x2 or 2x3 or 2x4 and the suburbs look a lot better for it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A couple weeks ago I made a post about using a neural network to enhance Cities: Skylines maps. Well, I have been doing that. I've only just recently found a set up that isn't producing really odd behavior. Here are some shots using one of my maps:

Original heightmap made with ASTER/SRTM DEM's and run through Wilbur:

Input heightmap, which is the original map with a large gaussin blur filter applied until only basic shapes remain:

Output heightmap, which has been trained to restore details from a few thousand USGS DEMs:

Since the network I'm using is not intended for this application I'm pretty happy with the results so far. The ultimate benefit should be that the network can take low quality DEMs (converted into normal map textures) and apply an intelligent "sharpening" effect to add additional detail.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That's pretty cool actually. I guess you could then just paint a rough outline of the terrain shape you want, and get a more natural-looking result out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sell it to CO.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah that looks pretty cool, I dig it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

Sell it to CO.

Not sure how well that'd go over considering that the program I'm using is completely free. :v:

The biggest issue which I'm facing at the moment is more or less a lack of training data. I have about 800 input images that are rotated in order to create a sample set of of 3200ish, but that's still not exactly ideal. As I understand it this type of network works best when being trained with around 10,0000+ 1MP images, which is definitely going to take a while to get.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 26, 2018

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Well, I just tried Customize It! and holy poo poo, you can really just change pretty much any stat for any type of service building, in game with an easy drop-down. All those assets in the workshop that are just "vanilla X but with more Y and/or less Z" are now obsolete. Got a really pretty building with sucky stats? Just customize it, without even touching the asset editor.

Edit: It appears the building has to at least have that stat/function before you can change it. I was not able to have my garbage incinerator function as a crematorium or have it attract tourists, sadly.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 29, 2018

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Nevermind: not as relevant as I thought.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

I'm having a bit of a traffic flow problem, I was wondering if people would be able to help, my planning of road networks in this game is pretty much guesswork.

I've got two sections of city seperated by a highway, the top section is resedential with a commercial strip down the middle, the bottom section is basically all residential.
The crossings between the two sections seem to be causing bottlenecks, I tried adding more bridges, but they didn't really help, and also looked a bit ugly so I got rid of them.

Any advice?

Also, is there any way to improve the framerate of the game, my city is only 46k pop, but the framerate is really choppy, it's a pretty good spec machine, and lowering the graphics settings don't seem to make any difference.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Nova88 posted:

I'm having a bit of a traffic flow problem, I was wondering if people would be able to help, my planning of road networks in this game is pretty much guesswork.

I've got two sections of city seperated by a highway, the top section is resedential with a commercial strip down the middle, the bottom section is basically all residential.
The crossings between the two sections seem to be causing bottlenecks, I tried adding more bridges, but they didn't really help, and also looked a bit ugly so I got rid of them.

Any advice?

Also, is there any way to improve the framerate of the game, my city is only 46k pop, but the framerate is really choppy, it's a pretty good spec machine, and lowering the graphics settings don't seem to make any difference.

Add more ways to get into and out of the area, one road in is waaaaay to little for anything serious.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Use tunnels if bridges are to ugly.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Nova88 posted:

Any advice?

re: framerate - if you can cut down on the number of people driving around, it'll improve your framerate. Add some metro, trams, buses, etc. Pathfinding is pretty heavily CPU-bound so the less of it there is, the better your FPS will be.

That said, it's still a Unity engine so there's going to be a point where even with huge numbers of people using the metro, you're going to dip down into sub-30 ranges. When it comes to traffic management, you can try and do real-world road hierarchy but it's still a design that centers around car traffic so you'll still have FPS problems. It's actually measurably more efficient and FPS-friendly to connect independent superblocks via non-car transit, eg metro for people and heavy rail for cargo.

(Metro here is literally any/all transit options including busses.)

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Nova88 posted:

Any advice?

It looks like much of the residential area toward the bottom has limited access to your metro lines, since they're around the edges, so Cims are preferring to drive to work/shop in the commercial area. The routing doesn't take traffic conditions into account, so they're choosing that because it looks faster even though it's obviously not. You may want to move your metro stops closer to the center or make sure your bus routes collect people in the residential area and drop them off at the metro stations.

For planning in general, you want to make sure residential areas are well connected to commercial areas, and not worry about interconnecting different residential areas, because Cims never visit each other as far as I know. Also, make sure traffic from your residential areas has a different route than the delivery vehicles that come to the commercial area from your industrial area or from the freeway if you're just importing. If your traffic jams have a mix of delivery vehicles and cars then that's definitely part of the problem.

I also noticed that the really busy segment of road toward the bottom on the middle right has a bit of bus traffic. Buses really get in the way so I would move your bus routes a block over to either side (Cims will definitely walk a block to get the bus). If the bus routes cross the freeway, I would remove them and have all your bus routes act as local connectors to the metro.

The intersection with the curved roads up near where it says Garland looks like it has a lot of left turn traffic for some reason (assuming you've got right-side driving), so if you have Network Extensions you might want to upgrade those roads to the "small heavy road" that has a left turn lane (assuming they aren't already 4 lane roads).

Edit: I'd also suggest removing direct intersections between roads and the freeway, especially the ones where you're using those freeway ramps as crossovers for the lower part of the city to get to the commercial area. It might be a good idea to tear out that whole freeway interchange and replace it with something like this (use Traffic Manager to turn off the stoplights that get generated where the ramps meet the road).

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 6, 2018