Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was that one French bloke from their last election (one of the losers) who wanted to tax robots, but not pay them, presumably because he was a racist against robots.

Wait, like tax companies that use robots or actually personally send a bill to the robo-arm assembling cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

galagazombie posted:

Luke would be not be given heroic music when he succeeds at something and flattering well lit camera angles, he'd be given sinister music and unfavorable lighting for being the evil captor of Artoo.

Luke’s a decent guy. He treats people less fortunate than him with respect and even develops a kind of camaraderie with his droids. Nevertheless, he is part of a widespread social system that treats thinking beings as property. It's a kind of evil that gets pushed to the background while the heroes carry on their own revolutionary struggle; it’s a problem that’s left behind, one which the Rebellion has not yet solved or even begun to seriously consider when it overthrows the Emperor at the end of ROTJ.

To me that seems like fertile territory for a series of sequels to explore—a chance for the next generation not to simply restore the old liberal-corporatist status quo but to guarantee real equality for all. Or, you know, we could do rebels vs. empire forever.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

galagazombie posted:

We'll it's a good thing they're characters whose express purpose in the story is to be the good guys then. These aren't some real life historical figures of debatable intent and character. The films lay down their rules of morality and the OT heroes (sometimes after a character arc) come down pretty decisively on one side of the universes Black/White morality. Being evil literally makes you get creepy yellow eyes.

Your argument is rather confused here. You're saying that the characters are unquestionably heroes in the movie's diegesis, and thus they cannot be slave-owners because heroes aren't slave-owners.

The simple truth is that the moral universe of Star Wars is distorted, and that slave-owners can be heroes in it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
George Washington owned slaves and he was an IRL hero. Lincoln beat up Chinese schoolkids on the regular (look it up) and he also was a hero.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. The movie was created by a guy who lives in a country where noted slave rapist Thomas Jefferson is viewed as one of the greatest heroes. That's part of the whole thing.

Also, its arguable that Luke really owns his droids between movies as they kind of just start hanging around other people. I mean, they still call him massa, but he doesn't really transfer ownership and they seem to go off and do their own stuff.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

galagazombie posted:

I would think a series that has a very explicit "Slavery Bad" message in things like Anakins upbringing wouldn't go on to have protagonist Luke Skywalker be an unrepentant slaver who is never shown to be morally corrupted by it or suffer a comeuppance.

Luke's movies come before Anakin's.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Luke owns slaves.

Luke is still a decent person and a worthy protagonist.

These ideas are not mutually exclusive, and the mental knot tying happening because you think they are is really a sight to behold.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Luke pays C-3PO in oil baths, like Amanda Palmer paid her band in hugs and beer. It's all above-board. And he washes R2-D2, which R2 couldn't do by himself, because he has no hands.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

This is the worst thread on the internet.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Please, the World of Warcraft lore thread is far worse.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
HOW DO YOU DO IT -- SHOOT WOMEN AND CHILDREN?

IT'S EASY. YOU JUST DON'T LEAD 'EM AS MUCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF6oMAwns38

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

kidkissinger posted:

It's Tree World, we go hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGqNOWi-wk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ynmC1-YAEc&t=2081s

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

kidkissinger posted:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

kidkissinger posted:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He looks strange without the beard.

Like the bad guy in an episode of The Equalizer or something.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

He looks strange without the beard.

Like the bad guy in an episode of The Equalizer or something.

i dunno why but it made me think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arh57i1F7LU

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
that tie was created by the sith

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i love when these threads weave their way back into droids rights arguments.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This isn't right.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

This is like from a butterfly effect reality where Steve Jobs never left Apple or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It turns out George Lucas was actually Clark Kent all along.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Clark Kent has a jawline.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Lucas couldn't shave now even if he wanted to. The beards become so iconic he would get torn apart by an angry mob if he tried.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
He's more chin now than man...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mara Jade might be in IX

http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/04/exclusive-star-wars-episode-ix-seemingly-casting-a-major-expanded-universe-character/

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Seems weird to add her after Luke's already dead when her main gimmick was being Luke's love interest.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I would laugh so hard if the Knights of Ren had popular Legends-era names attached to them

Kyle Katarn, Kyp Durron, Corran Horn, Tahiri Veila, Tenal Ka, etc

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

aBagorn posted:

Hillary Clinton owned slaves.

Hillary is still a decent person and a worthy candidate.

These ideas are not mutually exclusive, and the mental knot tying happening because you think they are is really a sight to behold.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Seems weird to add her after Luke's already dead when her main gimmick was being Luke's love interest.

I assume if they're trying to patch over the backlash to TLJ it'll be as part of a flashback to pre-death Luke especially if they're casting a 50-something.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
somehow I think that'd only make things worse

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Vinylshadow posted:

I would laugh so hard if the Knights of Ren had popular Legends-era names attached to them

Kyle Katarn, Kyp Durron, Corran Horn, Tahiri Veila, Tenal Ka, etc

Luuke :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

somehow I think that'd only make things worse

I'm not saying it's a good idea but y'know, I think any attempt to alter a movie based on "the fans were unhappy" is kind of doomed to failure.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

I mean the parallel here was Washington or Jefferson or whatnot but sure let’s make this about Hillary for some reason

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

galagazombie posted:

her new gimmick is being Rey's mom

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

You laugh, but remember, Luke lost a hand at one point...

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
all that time alone and celibate on that island, it must have been weird jerking it with a robot hand

maybe he yanked it clean off and had to get a robot dick too

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kevin Palpatine posted:

all that time alone and celibate on that island, it must have been weird jerking it with a robot hand

maybe he yanked it clean off and had to get a robot dick too

What do you think the caretakers were for?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

This comparison is just stupid, and you're stupid for making it. The cultural view on slavery in the 1700's is way different to the one in the 1990's. A more relevant comparison would be to compare her views on LGBT issues, where the Clintons were semi-progressive at the time but outright bigoted by today's standards.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

McCloud posted:

This comparison is just stupid, and you're stupid for making it. The cultural view on slavery in the 1700's is way different to the one in the 1990's. A more relevant comparison would be to compare her views on LGBT issues, where the Clintons were semi-progressive at the time but outright bigoted by today's standards.

I dunno, a lot of people even today justify prison labor as not slavery with similar arguments to the ones about droid labor in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I Before E posted:

I dunno, a lot of people even today justify prison labor as not slavery with similar arguments to the ones about droid labor in this thread.

prisoners are not custom-built robots

jesus christ people stop comparing human beings to robots.

• Locked thread