Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
That's a lot of maps but I think people are going a bit too high on the guesses. I'm thinking 128 deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I like that you're showing off so many of these Doom WADs but man, I can't wait for Quake.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I watched your first Doom 2 campaign vid where you mentioned Doom 1 had ammo shortage issues and couldn't agree more especially on UV mode. Even on Doom 2 I was resorting to the supershottie most of time for the same reasons.

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON
I'm guessing 256 deaths!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm thinking 200 deaths

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doc Morbid posted:

I like that you're showing off so many of these Doom WADs but man, I can't wait for Quake.

:emptyquote:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Palladium posted:

I watched your first Doom 2 campaign vid where you mentioned Doom 1 had ammo shortage issues and couldn't agree more especially on UV mode. Even on Doom 2 I was resorting to the supershottie most of time for the same reasons.
That really depends on your playstyle. If you absolutely have to kill everything, yeah, ammo is tight, especially in early E3. Thing is, nothing forces you to do that.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

Patience is a virtue waiting for the super shotgun to reload.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I'm gonna go for 267 deaths. I hope I didn't miss a deadline.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Been on a DooM WAD binge myself the last couple of weeks.

I noticed you're missing a commercial release: 1995's The Lost Episodes of DooM. Also came with a book about how to make DooM maps.

EDIT: Also I'll say 236 deaths if it's not too late.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 14, 2018

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I noticed you're missing a commercial release: 1995's The Lost Episodes of DooM. Also came with a book about how to make DooM maps.

I don't know how you missed it but he's already recorded and uploaded that entire series up and discussed how it came with a book and everything :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Gloomy Rube posted:

I don't know how you missed it but he's already recorded and uploaded that entire series up and discussed how it came with a book and everything :v:

I don't see it on the first page. :shrug:

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Alright, things are back on track again.

Memento Mori by the Memento Mori Crew
Part 1/10

nekoxid posted:

160 deaths. Also for Surprise Wad #2 my guess is WolfenDOOM?

That's technically correct. I'll give you 5 points for that, but another 5 are up for grabs if anyone can guess which one specifically.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It's just not on the poster because it was meant to be a surprise :haw:

Also I've been majorly slacking on updating the OP.

The Lost Episodes of Doom Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

ArcturusDeluxe
May 15, 2006

drat that music in Map05 was crazy, I usually play with podcasts or my own music on in the background so I missed that one.

Regarding the question in the video about Geocities, it was free but they put ads onto your website, if I recall.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The track is called Galaxy and it's pretty dope.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
MIDI2MUS.EXE is the tool you're talking about right? It re-maps the MIDI channels/patchings and event codes to fit with Adlib or SB2.0 etc which had an OPL chip.

MIDI files are easy to make btw, with sequencer software like Cubase, Cakewalk, Logic or whatever else. Back in the 90's they supported the General MIDI instrument patching standard so you could literally plug a crappy ole keyboard to your Soundblaster 16 joystick port, hit record and jam away. The sequencer records a bunch of data (which keys you pushed & how long for, if you use the pitch wheel, etc.) and saves that in a MID file. Then I guess you just MIDI2MUS and it's ready for Doom :D

Cool pics:

Left -> MIDI keyboard, right -> Joystick port

DOS Cakewalk

Cakewalk in Windows 95

Windows 95 Cubase

give me thread fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 30, 2018

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Holy god, there was a DOS Cakewalk?? I used Cakewalk on Win95 the same way I used MusicTime and, much later, Opera (not the browser.) I spent hours inputting notes by hand because I didn't have a midi controller. There was a whole patch that was just various drum sounds. Ah, the good ol days...

I remember I had a Geocities page, but that's really all I remember about it. I don't even know what content I had on it. Probably links to things I liked.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
These are some nice maps. They're among the first fan made maps you've shown that have caught my interest as being aesthetically interesting. Definitely looking forward to the rest of Memento Mori.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Key differences in Doom MUS vs plain MIDI
1) hard 65,536 byte file size limit for MUS vs unlimited for MIDI
2)can only use 9 MIDI channels, 8 music and 1 drum. Standard General MIDI was a minimum of 16 channels support.
3) Doom MUS supports higher volume changes than standard MIDI files, so naive conversion can be much louder than you'd expect.

Because of this, tracks have to end earlier and use fewer instruments at once in Doom levels before source ports brought full Midi support.

Edit : note that even though later doom revisions would take Midi from the PWAD they would run the Midi into a MUS convertor, stripping instruments and truncating the output if neccesary.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 30, 2018

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

fishmech posted:

Key differences in Doom MUS vs plain MIDI
1) hard 65,536 byte file size limit for MUS vs unlimited for MIDI
2)can only use 9 MIDI channels, 8 music and 1 drum. Standard General MIDI was a minimum of 16 channels support.
3) Doom MUS supports higher volume changes than standard MIDI files, so naive conversion can be much louder than you'd expect.

Because of this, tracks have to end earlier and use fewer instruments at once in Doom levels before source ports brought full Midi support.

Edit : note that even though later doom revisions would take Midi from the PWAD they would run the Midi into a MUS convertor, stripping instruments and truncating the output if neccesary.
Interesting stuff! But 64kib was still enough for a fair lot of music I guess, especially for like the standard 4 or 5 channel rock band type Doom music.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

64 KB of MIDI data still gives you a lot of music, unless you go overboard with crazy controller poo poo. MIDI never supports more than 16 channels, because of the data format, there are only 4 bits to store the channel number in. For most game music, additional channels over 8+1 are mostly useful for adding "fake" reverb/chorus effects by doubling and slightly offsetting some instruments, especially since music of the era had to cater to Adlib users. Volume control in General MIDI is originally done with a standard 7 bit controller (giving 128 steps of volume control per channel) but there's also a standard extension adding an extra less-significant-bits volume controller giving a total of 14 bits of volume control (16384 steps).

And I did have a site hosted on Geocities at one time, yes it was free. I don't remember anything about paid options even existing. I don't think that site ever got any visits and I never put anything on it either.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I -think- there were paid options for Geocities, but can't remember quite what they were. I think one thing was if you wanted your own website URL instead of just /whatever/5858/ or whatever, and there -might- have been some web building tools you could pay money for.

Edit: Though I might just be confusing it with the paid options for their 'competitor', Homestead.

Gloomy Rube fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 30, 2018

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

fishmech posted:

Not some great memories of a few Team TNT tracks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gloomy Rube posted:

I -think- there were paid options for Geocities, but can't remember quite what they were. I think one thing was if you wanted your own website URL instead of just /whatever/5858/ or whatever, and there -might- have been some web building tools you could pay money for.

Edit: Though I might just be confusing it with the paid options for their 'competitor', Homestead.

Username pages were open to everyone when they came out, and in fact they stopped issuing the "neighborhood" URLs at all past a certain point. Geocities did indeed have paid hosting options, there are in fact probably a still sites still hosted directly on geocities because of it, since when they took down all the free sites in 1999 a bunch of those who had paid had their sites stay up.

For an idea of how the paid hosting worked, here's the options available back in mid-2002:

(At this time, the free Geocities service was 15 MB disk space and 1 GB of data transfer per month. And while 1 gigabyte of transfer for 15 megabytes max of content sounds reasonable enough, that's actually only 66 people being able to download your full content each month.)

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Hey, sorry once again for the slow updates. We should be coming back in full force sometime this week. Stay tuned!

Also, thanks for all the cool info on Geocities :)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Temin_Dump posted:

Hey, sorry once again for the slow updates. We should be coming back in full force sometime this week. Stay tuned!

Also, thanks for all the cool info on Geocities :)

Just in time for another game to be added to your list!

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I just look at this stuff and think "yep, this is why I never got into making maps". I messed around a little bit in Build but never more than a few rooms, because making a whole level just takes an amount of time that I was not prepared to spend when there were so many other things I could be doing - even as a child and with no internet.

I made a huge amount of levels in Build for Duke3D. I never could get into Doom maps. The ability to manipulate heights in 3D was a massive boon. I could never keep track of making a sector X high in Doom and not seeing it until I loaded the map up.

I even had a Duke3d level on one of those shovelware FIFTY THOUSAND MAPS discs the guys were talking about. It was interesting, and a big ego boost to 16 year old me. They sent me an email asking to use permission, and offered a copy of the software for it. I said yes, and a couple months later a boxed copy of the thing showed up in the mail.

ArcturusDeluxe
May 15, 2006

Enos Shenk posted:

I made a huge amount of levels in Build for Duke3D. I never could get into Doom maps. The ability to manipulate heights in 3D was a massive boon. I could never keep track of making a sector X high in Doom and not seeing it until I loaded the map up.

I even had a Duke3d level on one of those shovelware FIFTY THOUSAND MAPS discs the guys were talking about. It was interesting, and a big ego boost to 16 year old me. They sent me an email asking to use permission, and offered a copy of the software for it. I said yes, and a couple months later a boxed copy of the thing showed up in the mail.

I've been dabbling in Doom mapping lately. In comparison to back then, the editors now are excellent. I also found Build to be light years ahead with its 3D mode back in the day, so I was never really into Doom mapping until recently. Modern editors like Doom Builder and Slade all have 3D modes and let you manipulate heights and textures in real time, it's so much better.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
If it's not too late to guess, I'm throwing 199 deaths into the ring.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I haven't listened/watched in a while, is Coffee still providing commentary?

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Hey, just letting everyone know we're still alive. Life's just been unexpectedly difficult recently. I can't make any promises as to when we're coming back, but there are future videos coming.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

If it's not too late to guess, I'm throwing 199 deaths into the ring.

Since it's been so long since updating, I'm fine if anyone wants to throw their guesses for 1996 wads in any time until we come back.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I haven't listened/watched in a while, is Coffee still providing commentary?

Coffee's should still be doing commentary with us. He's just not as interested in doing vanilla wads.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I forget, did you plan to do Grezzo 2?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Alexeythegreat posted:

I forget, did you plan to do Grezzo 2?

^^^^^^ This. Very much interested in knowing.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Temin_Dump posted:

Coffee's should still be doing commentary with us. He's just not as interested in doing vanilla wads.

Can't really blame him, at least not for wanting to do the early ones. A lot of the time, it feels like the wadders are still learning the ropes, and figuring out what the engine can handle. There are some cool levels here and there, but the first couple of years have a lot of samey wads.

Speaking of plans, are you guys going to record another deathmatch special?

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
*Hell* yes i look forward to more dooming as/when you are able to.

Maybe you can jump straight to Doom 3? Seems there's too many 1000's of wads to trawl through before hand for the old Dooms.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'd say probably no because that's against their stated goal and would also skip a bunch of games between :v:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Also because it's doom 3

Which is a fine game, really, but I wouldn't want to rush to it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm still waiting for Quake

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Getting ready to take votes on how many deaths Termin Dump and his team have suffered in trying to get through these WADs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Aces High posted:

I'm still waiting for Quake