Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Donald John Trump, Nobel Laureate and former United States President, died peacefully this morning at the age of 74.

Edit: one of DJT’s pallbearers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
DJ Trump jokes, we do those yet?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://twitter.com/chuckgrassley/status/987690121901289472?s=21

u no what

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

DJ Trump jokes, we do those yet?

Oh shi

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

say what you will about Grassley he is 100% consistent on the subject of the history channel, and voters respect him for this

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That’s an interesting way of describing the Mueller investigation.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Cool stat

https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/987381084206784513?s=20

Millennials are already going to be voting in much larger numbers due to us now all being in our mid to late 20s. But if the younger generation coming up votes at even a small percentage greater than usual that is absolutely huge.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 21, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ekeog posted:

say what you will about Grassley he is 100% consistent on the subject of the history channel, and voters respect him for this

He's also 100% right on this one issue. :colbert:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Withnail posted:

McCabe and Comey probably have terrible families

Isn't he a bigamist?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

But if the younger generation coming up votes at even a small percentage greater than usual that is absolutely huge.

They're kinda tired of being shot at.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/987706259657785344

*edit*

From the responses it seems like he feels it’s just a PR stunt and not really worth a drat as an actual lawsuit.

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 21, 2018

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

This goes for the left and the right, btw.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Trump needs more varied criminal employees because I spent all morning thinking he was bitching about the unfair treatment of admitted felon Michael Flynn, not soon to be admitted felon Michael Cohen.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I’m sure I’m late, but lol at the garbage people in this thread who insist all the time that basic human decency means free full income and free healthcare but sympathy for the death of your mother or wife of fifty years is a priveledge to be earned

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

skeleton warrior posted:

I’m sure I’m late, but lol at the garbage people in this thread who insist all the time that basic human decency means free full income and free healthcare but sympathy for the death of your mother or wife of fifty years is a priveledge to be earned

Why should they feel sympathy for someone they don't like???

But no, I agree.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Boon posted:

This kind of reminds me of a woman who tried to recruit me to run for a Democratic seat in Virginia. She was a wealthy jewish woman from New York but who had lived in Virginia Beach for years and would host gatherings almost weekly. I met her at a Drinking Liberally meet up (sidenote: those are really loving weird with some really crazy, out-of-touch with reality people) and after talking with her for like five minutes one-on-one it became quickly apparent that she was one of the most racist people I'd ever met.

Wealthy white women are somehow the worst.

Money fucks people up man.

One of my close friends from high school was a generous progressive Christian all his life, now he has a job in finance and suddenly the rich are the most put-upon class in America and did you know social democracy only seems to work in Sweden but actually all their superior quality-of-life metrics are due to them not having any black people throwing off their harmonious ethnostate.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Great, that's another purity test I've failed. gently caress!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

VitalSigns posted:

Money fucks people up man.

One of my close friends from high school was a generous progressive Christian all his life, now he has a job in finance and suddenly the rich are the most put-upon class in America and did you know social democracy only seems to work in Sweden but actually all their superior quality-of-life metrics are due to them not having any black people throwing off their harmonious ethnostate.

former close friend, I hope.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Verranicus posted:

This goes for the left and the right, btw.

Fffffarrrt

skeleton warrior posted:

Unlike healthcare and financial stability, my sympathy isn't a basic human need. gently caress the Bush family. Just as bad as the Trumps, just smart enough to keep the quiet parts quiet and the loud parts loud.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

I cannot even conceive of the confusion of values that could lead to this opinion.

Sick people getting healthcare > mass murdering war profiteers getting some sympathy when they finally do something to make the world a better place for once by kicking the bucket.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hmm yes when Trump dies choking on a filet o fish I’m sure this thread will immediately move to rehabilitate him just like how we constantly sing the praises of Jackson, Nixon, and Reagan.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Koalas March posted:

gently caress, I can't wait until I can find a new gig. I love Detroit/Metro but goddamn I gotta get out of this state.
Welcome to the burgeoning ranks of the expats. Nice thing about being from Michigan is you can always find other people who also left Michigan to commiserate on how much you both loved and had to leave that lovely hosed up state.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

I cannot even conceive of the confusion of values that could lead to this opinion.

Sick people getting healthcare > mass murdering war profiteers getting some sympathy when they finally do something to make the world a better place for once by kicking the bucket.

And we can't have both because... oh, I guess we have to be sneeringly superior to someone, or else the internet will never validate us

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

marshmonkey posted:

*edit*

From the responses it seems like he feels it’s just a PR stunt and not really worth a drat as an actual lawsuit.

This makes Maddow's breathless reporting of it and linking it to a DNC lawsuit from 1972 immediately after the Watergate break-in because "they're the same, right?" an even worse look than it was in and of itself. Not saying "MSNBC is liberal Fox News" but goddamn do they milk every microscopic development for ten times more than its worth on the reg.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

marshmonkey posted:

*edit*

Yeah - it seems pretty clear to me that the Dems can't use the House Intel Committee to drag people out in public and force them to admit to the GOP corruption. Instead, they're going to use this to make sure they can put Trumpist corruption and anti-Americanism on the front page throughout the mid-terms. I doubt they want to win and are more interested in dragging it out as long and as publicly as possible.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charliegrs posted:

I'm so confused. What classified material is he referring to? The Steele Dossier?

And didn't the Russia investigation actually start after Popadapolous was bragging at a bar to someone (a European politician I think?) About how he was working with the Russians to get Trump elected? And then that person informed the FBI?

The totally illegal leaks Comey is totally guilty of are the couple memos he gave to a friend to leaked them to the press after he was fired. If you remember 10,000 years ago, there response from everyone not wearing a stupid red hat was over the substance of the memos. The response of the idiot brigade was to scream and stomp their feet over how horrible a person Comey was for leaking this information. Then they slowly, over time, started claiming the memos were actually classified. The idea that Comey's leaked memos were classified has become a sacred fact on the bad brains right.

There is also some speculation that the whole point of Nunes and his traitorous crew immediately leaking all the Comey memos to the press minutes after they got them was to bolster this assertion. After all the memos they leaked were totally classified and have redactions, so the two Comey leaked first had to be too!

Sinteres posted:

Haberman dumps on Trump all the time, but for some reason her being a Trump shill is a stupid meme that will never die, even though Trump has publicly attacked her multiple times.

People largely poo poo on Haberman for being a devout believer in access journalism, a result of which is that she frequently spews forth obvious bullshit from the White House without a hint of incredulity. It's not so much that she's personally a shill for the Tangerine Mafia as she's a willing outlet for their bullshit.

Verranicus posted:

Why should they feel sympathy for someone they don't like???

But no, I agree.

Why is it so hard for some people to differentiate not personally feeling sympathy for the devil with denigrating those who do? Piss on all the graves you want, just don't attack other people for not pissing on graves.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

skeleton warrior posted:

And we can't have both because... oh, I guess we have to be sneeringly superior to someone, or else the internet will never validate us

Because garbage people don't deserve even a minute of concern just because they too get old and die. Especially people who got to live long fulfilling lives and die well past their expiration date, having never seen any consequences for being such heinous ghouls in life.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gyges posted:

People largely poo poo on Haberman for being a devout believer in access journalism, a result of which is that she frequently spews forth obvious bullshit from the White House without a hint of incredulity. It's not so much that she's personally a shill for the Tangerine Mafia as she's a willing outlet for their bullshit.

I think letting the insanity of the Trump administration speak for itself is a reasonable thing to do sometimes, and it's clear enough that she's not a fan of Trump that people should stop reading that into her reluctance to call him a fascist to his face every five seconds. Someone other than partisan media having access to Trump actually is a good thing, because she won't clean up for him after he says something idiotic. If seeing the reality of the Trump administration doesn't change anyone's minds, that's the people's fault, not the reporter's.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

I'm okay sneering at the greed of despicable war criminals, as any good person should be :)

:goonsay: The dirtbag left claims to be so moral just because they think "lives" should come before healthcare profits for the deserving folk at the top of our meritocracy, and they don't even have sympathy for the long-suffering Milosevic family, heh so much for their love of humanity.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

You should be very suspicious of anyone who comes up with elaborate justifications for why everything they do that seems like being a lovely person is actually good. Maybe human decency isn't going to fix the world, but neither is being a human Calvin sticker pissing on graves. Congrats on being so edgy.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

DrNutt posted:

Fffffarrrt

Unlike healthcare and financial stability, my sympathy isn't a basic human need. gently caress the Bush family. Just as bad as the Trumps, just smart enough to keep the quiet parts quiet and the loud parts loud.

Eh, I think it's fine for people to withhold or just not have sympathetic feelings if they choose. The real problem is when people take the extra step to poo poo on others that do.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I truly wish Grassley was much less of an overall poo poo person on important issues, because I totally agree with him on his war on the dumbed down history channel.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sinteres posted:

You should be very suspicious of anyone who comes up with elaborate justifications for why everything they do that seems like being a lovely person is actually good. Maybe human decency isn't going to fix the world, but neither is being a human Calvin sticker pissing on graves. Congrats on being so edgy.

Sinteres posted:

the only appropriate rehab for Anthony Weiner is a suicide booth

:thunk:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
God this is a dumb discussion. I’m assuming we are all gonna have to feel the same disdain when (hopefully eons from now) Michelle passes because Obama couldn’t seem to help himself from droning people his entire presidency?

I don’t care that Barbara Bush passed away, but all you fuckers wasting all this emotional energy over hating on them because some old man is sad at his wife’s passing are dumb as poo poo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Get back to me when I write a dozen posts about how virtuous my angry opinion actually was, and how anyone who disagrees with me is just too much of a coward to stand up for what's right. Congrats on reading my rap sheet though!

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 21, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

TulliusCicero posted:

I truly wish Grassley was much less of an overall poo poo person on important issues, because I totally agree with him on his war on the dumbed down history channel.

I'm grudgingly impressed by his triple-lawnmower, myself.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Crow Jane posted:

I'm grudgingly impressed by his triple-lawnmower, myself.

That thing is going to be what kills him. Those side mowers are locked on, and any fall off that central mover would not be a fun experience.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Just gonna leave this totally respectful, :decorum: filled obituary of a former president, meant totally in a way other than pissing on any graves here for y'all to enjoy...

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1994/07/he-was-a-crook/308699/

Hunter S. Thompson posted:

It was all gibberish, of course. Nixon was no more a Saint than he was a Great President. He was more like Sammy Glick than Winston Churchill. He was a cheap crook and a merciless war criminal who bombed more people to death in Laos and Cambodia than the U.S. Army lost in all of World War II, and he denied it to the day of his death. When students at Kent State University, in Ohio, protested the bombing, he connived to have them attacked and slain by troops from the National Guard.

Some people will say that words like scum and rotten are wrong for Objective Journalism -- which is true, but they miss the point. It was the built-in blind spots of the Objective rules and dogma that allowed Nixon to slither into the White House in the first place. He looked so good on paper that you could almost vote for him sight unseen. He seemed so all-American, so much like Horatio Alger, that he was able to slip through the cracks of Objective Journalism. You had to get Subjective to see Nixon clearly, and the shock of recognition was often painful.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

God this is a dumb discussion. I’m assuming we are all gonna have to feel the same disdain when (hopefully eons from now) Michelle passes because Obama couldn’t seem to help himself from droning people his entire presidency?

I don’t care that Barbara Bush passed away, but all you fuckers wasting all this emotional energy over hating on them because some old man is sad at his wife’s passing are dumb as poo poo.

this. who cares, i am indifferent to her best and worst. save your rage and outbursts when HW and W and trump/co die. she isnt worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

Just gonna leave this totally respectful, :decorum: filled obituary of a former president, meant totally in a way other than pissing on any graves here for y'all to enjoy...

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1994/07/he-was-a-crook/308699/

I mean Hunter S Thompson was definitely an edgelord, but also Nixon was way worse than Barbara Bush. I doubt Thompson went around to everyone who expressed sympathy for Nixon's surviving family and told them they're loving assholes though.

• Locked thread