Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That thing is going to be what kills him. Those side mowers are locked on, and any fall off that central mover would not be a fun experience.

That's fine too, the frankenmower taking on a life of its own and killing it's maker would be nicely poetic

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder if Clinton is going to go soon and what the reaction here will be. I think d&d would explode.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

This makes more sense as an argument to hear for Nancy Reagan since she was handling a lot of the affairs of the Presidency while Ronnie slipped into dementia, so she can be more blamed for what her husband did.

I refuse to believe anyone whose title was "Blowjob Queen of Hollywood" could end up in Hell

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Grapplejack posted:

I wonder if Clinton is going to go soon and what the reaction here will be. I think d&d would explode.

Which Clinton :unsmigghh:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I'm okay sneering at the greed of despicable war criminals, as any good person should be :)

:goonsay: The dirtbag left claims to be so moral just because they think "lives" should come before healthcare profits for the deserving folk at the top of our meritocracy, and they don't even have sympathy for the long-suffering Milosevic family, heh so much for their love of humanity.

I think I cut myself on this post.

You wanna pretend that you're morally superior for not empathizing with the grief of a man who just lost his wife of 70+ years, that's fine. Just know that you sound like a fetid bag of poo poo in doing so.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't really see the point in getting all angry about Barbara Bush considering she never held elected office and is at worst just another member of her social and political class.

On the other hand, it's actually very important to not grant Trump & Co. any respect.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

skeleton warrior posted:

I’m sure I’m late, but lol at the garbage people in this thread who insist all the time that basic human decency means free full income and free healthcare but sympathy for the death of your mother or wife of fifty years is a priveledge to be earned

Agreed.

Just like trying to solve violence with violence, meeting hate with hate won’t do poo poo except feed into the cycle of shittiness. Losing empathy -even for a person who was lovely and did lovely things- is the first step to becoming a broken human being like Trump is.

Our empathy is our strength. Be angry, be righteous, but be better than them.

You can make change without being a lovely person.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't really see the point in getting all angry about Barbara Bush considering she never held elected office and is at worst just another member of her social and political class.

On the other hand, it's actually very important to not grant Trump & Co. any respect.

This post is good and right.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bill Clinton, Trump and George W were all born within a couple months of each other, and W's really the only one where I'd be surprised if someone told me he died suddenly.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Can’t be charged with applying chlorox to a server if you are dead

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Did some quick googling and wiki reading because I figured I must have forgotten about the genocide commited by Barbara Bush and oddly the only things I could find that she was famous for doing seems to be extensive charity work teaching poor children (particularly poor immigrant children) to read, hugging a man dying of aids on TV in the 1980s and fighting against the stigma of AIDs and generally being a massive AIDs-issues advocate, founding a children's hospital, being privately pro-choice , banning guns from the Bush household because she didn't like them, and being pro-transgender rights in her old age.

Sounds like literally hitler.

I guess we're just vindictively pissing on the grave of a dead lady because we don't like her husbands politics which is not at all misogynistic why again?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

I think I cut myself on this post.

You wanna pretend that you're morally superior for not empathizing with the grief of a man who just lost his wife of 70+ years, that's fine. Just know that you sound like a fetid bag of poo poo in doing so.

Maybe GHW Bush is finally feeling 1% of the grief of the families whose members were horribly gassed to death by the dictator to whom he sold chemical weapons, or the thousands of families whose kids died so the Bushes could profit, or the millions of Middle Eastern families who suffered the same fate :shrug:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jarmak posted:

I guess we're just vindictively pissing on the grave of a dead lady because we don't like her husbands politics which is not at all misogynistic why again?

I don't think guilt by association is totally unfair, but I do think people are a bit more rabid about it than seems necessary. Like I personally think Melania's a lovely person for marrying and staying with Trump, but Trump's obviously far worse than she is.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe GHW Bush is finally feeling 1% of the grief of the families whose members were horribly gassed to death by the dictator to whom he sold chemical weapons, or the thousands of families whose kids died so the Bushes could profit, or the millions of Middle Eastern families who suffered the same fate :shrug:

Let me ask you this: is there anyone currently in American politics who, if they were to die, you would allow us to feel empathy for their family members?

Or are you to the point where, if Bernie Sanders were hit by a bus tomorrow and we posted messages of support for his wife, you would start going "You dumb LIBERALS should maybe think of the fact that he had an A rating from the NRA, or that he wrote a piece in his college paper about raping women! Stupid liberals :smug:"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

So are you glad his daughter died when she was three too then, since causing him pain seems to be the part you're enjoying?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Good lord are we still on Babs?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

Let me ask you this: is there anyone currently in American politics who, if they were to die, you would allow us to feel empathy for their family members?

Or are you to the point where, if Bernie Sanders were hit by a bus tomorrow and we posted messages of support for his wife, you would start going "You dumb LIBERALS should maybe think of the fact that he had an A rating from the NRA, or that he wrote a piece in his college paper about raping women! Stupid liberals :smug:"

Yeah, or if something bad happens to an Obama. "Where was all the sympathy for the families of his drone strike victims?"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TulliusCicero posted:

I truly wish Grassley was much less of an overall poo poo person on important issues, because I totally agree with him on his war on the dumbed down history channel.

Even his opinions of the History Channel are wrong. If he had his way we never would have gotten Vikings, and that's an eye roll worthy position.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Good lord are we still on Babs?

I get a little touchy when someone accuses me of enabling genocide because I felt empathy for a man who lost his wife.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Did some quick googling and wiki reading because I figured I must have forgotten about the genocide commited by Barbara Bush and oddly the only things I could find that she was famous for doing seems to be extensive charity work teaching poor children (particularly poor immigrant children) to read, hugging a man dying of aids on TV in the 1980s and fighting against the stigma of AIDs and generally being a massive AIDs-issues advocate, founding a children's hospital, being privately pro-choice , banning guns from the Bush household because she didn't like them, and being pro-transgender rights in her old age.

Sounds like literally hitler.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/barbara-bush-astrodome-quote/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/barbara-bush-beautiful-mind/

She was a lovely rich lady, the Marie Antoinette of her time, who massively profited off the deaths and disfigurements of young American men and women while holding them in contempt, and cool for her not being a poo poo about AIDS victims but the bar for morality should be higher than "not literally Anita Bryant"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If you read that Snopes page, the Beautiful Mind quote didn't mean what people suggest it meant. Also Marie Antoinette probably didn't deserve to be executed.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

I don't understand how you can't see that a woman who didn't hold an elected office, who supported the Equal Rights Amendment, was pro-choice, and who said that abortion and homosexuality should have no part in the Republican Party platform, is definitely as bad as a man destined to be a criminal President who backstabbed peace talks with Vietnam so they wouldn't benefit a political foe.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

tehinternet posted:

This post is good and right.

Don't sign your posts

:):hf::)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Right that's the same as profiteering off a war and dismissing the body bags of the people dying for those profits as irrelevant and a waste of her precious mind to even think about, gj you got me.

Sinteres posted:

Yeah, or if something bad happens to an Obama. "Where was all the sympathy for the families of his drone strike victims?"

Yea we should care more about the people Obama murdered and the broken families left behind than the guy who murdered them I agree.

Sinteres posted:

So are you glad his daughter died when she was three too then, since causing him pain seems to be the part you're enjoying?

No, unlike Barbara Bush, there's no indication that three-year-old was the monster that she was.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Right that's the same as profiteering off a war and dismissing the body bags of the people dying for those profits as irrelevant and a waste of her precious mind to even think about, gj you got me.

Why do you think that we are whitewashing the things the Bush family has done and said? No one has said that Barbara Bush dying absolves her husband or son of the lovely, horrible things they did. You are the one telling us that empathy implies whitewashing. I choose to feel natural human emotions rather than denying them so I can feel smugly superior, thanks.

Christ, I'm glad you weren't at my mother's funeral. You'd have been in my dad's face the whole time going "You stood her up on a date once, you miserable piece of poo poo, so I'm not sure why you feel so terrible now!"

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 21, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Vitalsigns, are you Ted Rall?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Alter Ego posted:

I get a little touchy when someone accuses me of enabling genocide because I felt empathy for a man who lost his wife.

Nah I am with you on that man. This whole thing started last night and it has just gotten more stupid from there.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/barbara-bush-astrodome-quote/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/barbara-bush-beautiful-mind/

She was a lovely rich lady, the Marie Antoinette of her time, who massively profited off the deaths and disfigurements of young American men and women while holding them in contempt, and cool for her not being a poo poo about AIDS victims but the bar for morality should be higher than "not literally Anita Bryant"

You really are a despicable piece of poo poo, yes she was literally hitler because of two insensitive comments you found on snopes. Forget all her AIDs work, work with poor latin American Children, anything else she's done in 92 years of life; an elderly women had a blind spot for criticising her son and therefore is comparable to Milosevic and her grave should be desecrated.

Sinteres posted:

I don't think guilt by association is totally unfair, but I do think people are a bit more rabid about it than seems necessary. Like I personally think Melania's a lovely person for marrying and staying with Trump, but Trump's obviously far worse than she is.

Okay so what did HW do? I don't remember him being involved in anything more heinous than being a Republican?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gyges posted:

Even his opinions of the History Channel are wrong. If he had his way we never would have gotten Vikings, and that's an eye roll worthy position.

He's taken shots at reality shows and Pawn Stars (even though they at least try to sprinkle in a dusting of history), but I think he'd be fine with scripted drama based on history, or at least he should be fine with them, as long as the writers are as faithful to the accuracy of the time period as they can be.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I don't understand how you can't see that a woman who didn't hold an elected office, who supported the Equal Rights Amendment, was pro-choice, and who said that abortion and homosexuality should have no part in the Republican Party platform, is definitely as bad as a man destined to be a criminal President who backstabbed peace talks with Vietnam so they wouldn't benefit a political foe.

sounds like hitler to me

here let me post a link to quotes taken out of context by people acting in bad faith and a time she said something that was objectively wrong because she didnt know any better because ive never had a ever had a bad opinion or been wrong about anything ever

Honestly, you don’t have to love the woman, but being intellectually dishonest about poo poo she did so she, a person who never held office, can be vilified is dumb as gently caress.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Okay so what did HW do? I don't remember him being involved in anything more heinous than being a Republican?

He was CIA director in the mid 70s, was Reagan's VP and was probably waist-deep in Iran-Contra himself.

Dude's not exactly a sparkling paragon of virtue. That said, I refuse to poo poo on a man who just lost his wife.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

You really are a despicable piece of poo poo, yes she was literally hitler because of two insensitive comments you found on snopes. Forget all her AIDs work, work with poor latin American Children, anything else she's done in 92 years of life; an elderly women had a blind spot for criticising her son and therefore is comparable to Milosevic and her grave should be desecrated.

Yeah spitting on poor black people and on the Americans who would die for her profits is just like mom hanging her son's fingerpainting on her refrigerator lmao

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

skeleton warrior posted:

I’m sure I’m late, but lol at the garbage people in this thread who insist all the time that basic human decency means free full income and free healthcare but sympathy for the death of your mother or wife of fifty years is a priveledge to be earned

Let me tell you about empathy for the Bush family. The Bush family have been quiet enablers of Accelerated Christian Education for many decades- in point of fact it was partly the Bush family who pioneered using RFRA laws to prevent all forms of State oversight over A.C.E. facilities.

So my perspective on Barbara Bush is that her family quite literally enabled and supported the people who tortured me as a child, and in point of fact the people who tortured me as a child are still doing it to this very day- helped along and protected in large part by Bush family political machinations. So I am glad that Barbara Bush's died, because she was my enemy.

Empathy is something that I give to everyone who deserves it without reservation, but Barbara Bush was my enemy and it's not deserve my empathy. I am glad she is dead. I hope that the suffering of her family experiences as they mourn weakens their ability to inflict further evil upon defenseless innocence in the world.

Barbara Bush had every possible oppurtunity in the world to have made herself into a decent person, and she chose not to. And for that choice, (and especially for the consequences of her choices resulting in the abuse and agony of so many innocent/defenceless) I have chosen not to have any empathy for her whatsoever. I celebrate her death, her passing marks this is a good day.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 21, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Alter Ego posted:

. You are the one telling us that empathy implies whitewashing.

Yeah, this is important.

Empathy is our secret weapon.

Empathy is what sets us apart from Trump, who is a narcissist and cannot feel it.

Empathy is not, however, forgiveness.

We can empathize with the prisoner as they begin their sentence, without unlocking the door and letting them out.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jarmak posted:

I don't remember him being involved in anything more heinous than being a Republican?

God, it just had to be too long to be the thread title

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lack of empathy for the monstrous ruling class of America is an edgelord position for the D and D thread on the Something Awful forums. Good to know.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jarmak posted:

I'm on the side of letting the Bushes grieve; I was just saying guilt by association isn't totally unreasonable as a "to be fair" kind of comment. He definitely wasn't a saint, but his record wasn't entirely bad either--he was the last reasonable Republican, for good and for ill.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
How to decide whether you should feel empathy:

1. Watch the video. Be objective
2. Write down a list of pros and cons
3. Review this list and spend 5-10 minutes deciding if you should feel sympathy
4. Make a decision to feel nothing, slightly bad, or slightly smug

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah, this is important.

Empathy is not forgiveness, but:

Empathy is our secret weapon.

Empathy is what sets us apart from Trump, who is a narcissist and cannot feel it.

We knew he was incapable of empathy after Hurricane Maria, when his idea of "empathy" was tossing paper towels into a crowd of people.

That was absolutely despicable and makes my blood boil when I think of it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sinteres posted:

If you read that Snopes page, the Beautiful Mind quote didn't mean what people suggest it meant. Also Marie Antoinette probably didn't deserve to be executed.
The actual context isn't great either. She is dismissing people who were critical of going to war because of the potential for death and misery. She is just snarling "fake news" in a more aristocratic way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

That quote didn’t mean what you think it did.

• Locked thread