Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The game died as it lived - an incomprehensible mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

topiKal posted:

~43:00 def one of the funniest moments from any game we've played

The only good thing about this game, you can choose the photo. And that pretentious "fin" at the end, what a lovely game.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

43:00 was better than the Jecht high five at the end.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
:stare:

So is Noctis dead or what.

After watching this, I'll never be giving another cent to Square Enix. Not that they make anything worth playing in the first place, but the principle stands! :argh:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Noctis died to end the eternal night and stop the demons, yes. The photo reveal scene is some kind of afterlife thing (since Luna is there, who is also dead).
The ending may have made slightly more sense if you've seen the movie, the ring has the spirits of all the previous kings in it and I guess Noctis took all their powers to finally fully kill Ardyn/stop the star plague thing.

Been waiting for the ending photo choice since the start of the LP, you didn't disappoint.

Also I'm an idiot who liked this game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I can only assume that that final scene in that strange space area was were Ardyn was going to take on his true Daemon Form and you would have had the final boss fight.

But yeah it kind of shocks me that of all things to get cut from the the game, the actual final boss fight was one of them. Because of this Ardyn is the only Final Fantasy boss that does not have a second form or phase.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I feel like parts of that ending would have been good if they were in a better game.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Demicol posted:

Noctis died to end the eternal night and stop the demons, yes. The photo reveal scene is some kind of afterlife thing (since Luna is there, who is also dead).
The ending may have made slightly more sense if you've seen the movie, the ring has the spirits of all the previous kings in it and I guess Noctis took all their powers to finally fully kill Ardyn/stop the star plague thing.

Why would Noctis need to die to become the super king? Why was Titan the only summon that showed up at the end after all that stupid poo poo to gain their favor? What is the kingdom supposed to do if the demons ever come back since the super king bloodline ended with Noctis? Ardyn wins in the long run!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

RareAcumen posted:

Its a shame we got this instead of Berseria. But at least you're doing a service of pointing out how much of a mess this game is. :patriot:

Berseria's plot starts off pretty decent but gradually becomes shittier over time, in true long-as-gently caress-rpg fashion.

Also it has that problem where loving your siblings way too much is not a thing that people outside of Japan think is cool or good.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I also adore the fact that the final boss has a literal green screen going on for the background like it's a low budget music video and is played by holding O for a couple minutes. Exactly what this Frankenstein monster of incomplete game segments, robotic characters, incoherent plot, and half-baked game mechanics deserves for a finale.

Also, Cup Noodles & Coleman for life!

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 21, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bocc Kob posted:

Why would Noctis need to die to become the super king? Why was Titan the only summon that showed up at the end after all that stupid poo poo to gain their favor? What is the kingdom supposed to do if the demons ever come back since the super king bloodline ended with Noctis? Ardyn wins in the long run!

The best way to do a cinematic event is a dark gray giant in a dark gray city throwing a dark gray rock at night.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Bocc Kob posted:

Why would Noctis need to die to become the super king? Why was Titan the only summon that showed up at the end after all that stupid poo poo to gain their favor?

Titan showed up, Shiva and Bahamut turned up outside when they fought Ifrit. Leviathan... did the thing on the train 10 years earlier?

It feels like they should each have shown up to crack a layer of his transformation sequence. He smashes his way through his physical form(s) with the help of the summons, then he has to die to be internalised within the ring in order that he can destroy his evil soul with the help of his angelic ancestry or whatever. Because the Imperial bloodline is loving magic.

Who the gently caress is going to rule their lovely one-city kingdom now?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Skeleton King posted:

Berseria's plot starts off pretty decent but gradually becomes shittier over time, in true long-as-gently caress-rpg fashion.

Also it has that problem where loving your siblings way too much is not a thing that people outside of Japan think is cool or good.

I disagree pretty heavily with this view. Other then the sibling thing, but that does not happen in that game.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Titan showed up, Shiva and Bahamut turned up outside when they fought Ifrit. Leviathan... did the thing on the train 10 years earlier?

It feels like they should each have shown up to crack a layer of his transformation sequence. He smashes his way through his physical form(s) with the help of the summons, then he has to die to be internalised within the ring in order that he can destroy his evil soul with the help of his angelic ancestry or whatever. Because the Imperial bloodline is loving magic.

Who the gently caress is going to rule their lovely one-city kingdom now?

The same gently caress who was going to rule it if Noct lived. Ignis :v:

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
The guys were talking about this game being in development for ten years but really, I'm pretty sure 7 of those involved Nomura jerking off while designing more belts and zippers and occasionally squeezing out a trailer, and then the new director took over and basically had to cobble together a mainstream Final Fantasy game in a hurry.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Kuvo dies for his art once again. Your dedication to the craft is impressive.

Thanks for the show guys.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
This game is weird in that they tried to say the development essentially restarted when Tabata took the director role, but way too much of this reeks of "we already made it so we drat well have to use it". I just... don't get how anyone could be satisfied with this, it doesn't really have any sort of overarching narrative. Noctis is a prince that's gonna get married, his kingdom gets taken over, his fiance dies, he takes up the ring and then sleeps for ten years before he fixes everything. There's no proper three act structure to this.

No need to worry though, I'm sure the DLC will fix all the problems this game has.

edit: Also Berseria was good

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
What the hell is going on.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This game's plot was some how more incomprehensible than EYE: Divine Cybermancy. Those are words I never thought I'd have to type. :psyduck:

At least Square got a pretty engine they can use for future games out of the ordeal, I guess?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Don't compare EYE to this poo poo. EYE totally ruled.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Berseria is a really good game that only gets better as it goes on.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I'd say this is a better game than 13, but I think (god help me for having to commit these words to print)13's story and characters were better. They both suffer from never having a unifying vision to build on, instead being a bunch of neat concepts hastily cobbled together and shipped out. I'm not sure why SquareEnix keeps making that same mistake with its game design, but they really need to get their act together one of these days and remember how to make a story.

The most impressive thing to come out of all this is Kuvo's editing job to salvage this disaster. You did a great job recreating the footage.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
what did I just watch

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Squarely Circle posted:

what did I just watch

A very stupid and bad videogame.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

While I still don't like the third act of Berseria, I do think it was a good game overall and the plot was still coherent and not horrible. Velvet was a good lead character with a personality, even though I thought her design looked ridiculous but that's not a big deal. The Berserk-light plot was decent even though I didn't care for the act three "fate of the world" stuff that always ends up being in jrpgs. I'd rather it just be a simple revenge-quest from start to finish.

Anyway, even if you disagree with my tastes in plots, we can all agree that Berseria's plot can't even be compared to XV's sad attempt at a plot. Berseria is a far more complete and cohesive game than XV in every way.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I don't even like noodles.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Good job working that circle button.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Oh god, you had to replay it. You poor bastard.

You guys... Are the best.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
1) I'm sorry for your four+ hours, Kuvo.

2) Holy poo poo they managed to make the stupid zwee-fighting even worse. Nothing really hammers home that you're flying around through space quite like being in a black void thousands of feet above every possible landmark.

3) So the beginning of the game had a bit from the end of the game, and the end of the game then looped around to the beginning (after that beginning)? What the gently caress is that. Besides a reminder that you were, allegedly, on a road trip.

4) COLEMAN

5) I'm glad killing the dude who absorbed so many demons he something something false king erased from history became a hobo made the magic, light-absorbing malaria go away.

6) I don't think you can call it "troubled development" if something has been released, was total poo poo and then got memory holed and replaced with something entirely different. That's just a poo poo game being replaced with something wearing its skin. Too bad Square decided that instead, they'd just continuously try to fix this with endless DLC. It's like watching a rally navigator try to reconnect some engine wiring while the car's moving. Except the car's on fire and the mechanic's trying to replace the cables with a snake. It's kinda funny from the outside, but good lord what a mess.

This doesn't get a number, but good lord, a video game shouldn't have it's own goddamn expanded universe, much less one that is entirely essential to know what the gently caress is going on. I mean, there's a more-or-less complete plot laid out in the wiki, and I assume they didn't actually just fabricate one.

Thank god for all the product placement, though. All that nonsense really brightened this whole thing up.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

Zenostein posted:

Too bad Square decided that instead, they'd just continuously try to fix this with endless DLC.

I hate how obvious it is that this game is a collection of parts they salvaged from the corpse of Versus XIII which was then shipped before it was ready, and the fan reaction wasn't explosive anger but rather "let's keep buying DLC for things that should've already been in the finished product so we can encourage SE to keep patching this poo poo over the course of the next 3 years :downs:"

Kaasen fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 21, 2018

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I guess it's been so long since the last actually good mainline FF game that the fanbase is operating on pure Stockholm syndrome by now.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cerebral Bore posted:

I guess it's been so long since the last actually good mainline FF game that the fanbase is operating on pure Stockholm syndrome by now.

This game makes 12 year old TES4 look fun, and I thought that was already the epitome of miles wide but inch deep.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
This game's characters had potential to be better than 13's if they had just stuck to the road trip gone wrong thing, but then they tried to turn Noctis into Jesus and they lose all their goodwill since this was clearly what they wanted from the start. Also there wasn't any pedophilia, Snow is just a large guy.

I haven't played this game, but every battle has looked awkward as hell. For all its faults 13's battle system was actually pretty good once you understood it (which the game does not help you do) so I can't even give this game that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Imagine a dopey prince who just wanted to have a good time with his bros, who he made into knights because the hell does he need knights for, going on a road trip and then ending up discovering his dad didn't tell him poo poo about how the monarchy is only kept around because they might be needed as blood sacrifices to jumpstart the sun. That could have had potential!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Night10194 posted:

Imagine a dopey prince who just wanted to have a good time with his bros, who he made into knights because the hell does he need knights for, going on a road trip and then ending up discovering his dad didn't tell him poo poo about how the monarchy is only kept around because they might be needed as blood sacrifices to jumpstart the sun. That could have had potential!

Yup, so much potential for interesting storytelling where the monarchy has real implications in a modern day world besides in a political and ceremonial role.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The thing about this game is that for the audience it's for, the people who will gush about how great the plot is, they don't actually need any kind of internal consistency or story flow. They just need the big setpieces to press the familiar buttons. Same for the characters: They say the right stuff on the surface to be Anime Boon Companions and that's all the intended audience really needs to get super invested in Luna (a character we never interact with outside of GOT IT) or whatever. She's the archetype they've seen a thousand times and they know how they're supposed to feel and that's enough.

It's why I compare it to a fanfic. It's a big loud EPIC MOMENTS generator that probably knows it doesn't need to bother stringing anything together.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The ending sets up a really interesting story. The last member of a royal dynasty of divine origin sacrifices himself to end a demonic cataclysm and leaves the government to his three childhood friends. Where do things go from here? And who takes over after the Three Stooges die? Their kids, or an elected government?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly what might bug me the most about this whole ordeal is that you can tell the game really, really thinks the player is invested in the party and their friendship by the end of the game, but none of it was earned. Every important moment of characterization for them (and there aren't that many to go around!) either happened offscreen, or in separate spin-off DLC's. Remember when Gladio got his rear end kicked so hard he had to go on a quest to prove to himself he was worthy of protecting Noctis? Of course not, because it was all offscreen and as soon as Gladio came back nothing changed except now his model had some scars on it.

There was a genuine chance for this party to be both more interesting and yet also more grounded than the usual clown car of quirky morons you get in most FF parties, and it was completely squandered.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Remember when Ignis went blind off-screen in something he never even talks about? And then it became his entire character until he totally got over it, also off screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This game... was awful.

I remember watching the FFX and FFX-2 LPs and honestly I still wanted to play those games. They had merits. They had a plot you could follow, and characters that developed, and sidequests that were distinct, and a setting that felt thought-out, and the combat systems in both were about as good as final fantasy combat got before SE realised the core FF combat sucks and stopped doing it. Sure, they were goofy as hell, FFX clearly stumbling about in the fully-voiced high-fidelity environment that was new, but at least they looked fun.

All this game had was flashy setpieces that don't even push the standard of modern visuals. I came into this with an open mind, figuring a lot of your objections were down to being a bunch of mostly-drunk guys that aren't really FF's audience that didn't care about the game in the first place, but... I couldn't see any point where being more engaged would have helped. The plot as written was a mess - I can see how most of the major beats could be formed into a good game with some good writing, but this failed that at every step. The characters did nothing, they had events happen to them but with no build-up, no payoff, and half the time you were only told about them after the fact. The open world was utterly squandered on sidequests that consisted of "go to this dungeon you've already cleared and find/fight a thing". A huge amount of focus was put on the car that offered no benefits at all over a "just go here" fast-travel system since you couldn't move freely - at least until you got the off-roader where it actually became sort of good. None of the interesting aspects of the setting were explored at all and it constantly dragged you out of any sort of immersion with product placement. I thought at first you might have just been playing the combat system too passively and not exploring the systems, but no, it turned out there were no systems to explore. The only thing you could have done to engage more was experiment with building magic more, I guess, but the game really discourages you from using too much of that by gating it behind busywork that you're clearly meant to do before getting into any sort of combat.

I salute you guys for muscling through this game. I especially salute you for playing that ending again and matching it up to the commentary. You gave this game the LP it deserved and I'm glad to have watched it.

• Locked thread