Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

multijoe posted:

I get very confused by centrists because they keep saying they hold their positions because they represent the moderate public's popular opinion, but the public were strongly opposed to the treatment of the Windrush generation and the airstrikes in Syria. It's like they're lying about their motivations or something!!

but why would a politician ever say one thing and then do an entirely different thing when in power, your theory seems far-fetched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

centrists aren't actually non-ideological in the slightest, they've just internalised crackpot realist ideology to the degree that they can't think of anything in terms other than taking the Hard Decisions and Making The Right Compromises, while whatever goal originated that mindset recedes further and further from view. they're a cargo cult who haven't realised the context has changed and the planes aren't coming back, no matter how big they build the airstrip

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Well also they tend to be rich politicians or media dudes and all go to the same pubs and parties. So to them it does look like their ideas are popular.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

nopantsjack posted:

Well also they tend to be rich politicians or media dudes and all go to the same pubs and parties. So to them it does look like their ideas are popular.

For "centrism" to work it absolutely needs people to be apathetic about politics and not get involved - it's no coincidence that the Blair years coincided with some of the lowest turnout in British electoral history.

This is why neoliberals are always whinging about "populism" - actually appealing to the public at large as opposed to exclusively appealing to an idea of the middle class screws over their whole MO

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

TomViolence posted:

centrists aren't actually non-ideological in the slightest, they've just internalised crackpot realist ideology to the degree that they can't think of anything in terms other than taking the Hard Decisions and Making The Right Compromises, while whatever goal originated that mindset recedes further and further from view. they're a cargo cult who haven't realised the context has changed and the planes aren't coming back, no matter how big they build the airstrip

It's this, having fetishized the idea of compromise to the point where it's become the end in and of itself, rather than a means to achieve an actual goal.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

TomViolence posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxvEp_QOUY0&t=1449s

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Owen Jones criticised a lot of UK media people as like a cult who only got their jobs because of who they know so tons of journalists melted down in the responses to him but I particularly liked this exchange

https://twitter.com/andyaustin67/status/987423310207242240?s=19

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

This depressed me a bit because I couldn't think of any decent real life political comedy programs on TV or radio any more. Regular shows that we do have are The Last Leg which is three wankers doing low grade office banter and The Now show which is usually a bunch of unfunny middle class people commenting that a thing happened and isn't it crazy!?! Seasonal shows are election parodies which are bad and occasional Screenwipes which are just ragefests about how poo poo things are. No one is producing anything which challenges anything or skewers anyone deeper than 'lol they misspoke in an interview or 'huh, imagine if the paperwork they destroyed was the queens speech, wouldn't that cause a funny incident!'

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Frankie Boyle's show for the Beeb has apparently been recommissioned. Though the goodness of Boyle's righteous fury will presumably be once again "balanced" by Sara Pascoe being as milquetoast and liberal as they come.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

forkboy84 posted:

Frankie Boyle's show for the Beeb has apparently been recommissioned. Though the goodness of Boyle's righteous fury will presumably be once again "balanced" by Sara Pascoe being as milquetoast and liberal as they come.

It will be broadcast in Scotland so don't expect anything good until the Dankula ruling is overturned.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jose posted:

Owen Jones criticised a lot of UK media people as like a cult who only got their jobs because of who they know so tons of journalists melted down in the responses to him but I particularly liked this exchange

https://twitter.com/andyaustin67/status/987423310207242240?s=19

i bet he sincerely believes his position is 100% earned though his incredible skill

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's this, having fetishized the idea of compromise to the point where it's become the end in and of itself, rather than a means to achieve an actual goal.

even when the compromise makes no sense and is in fact disadvantageous to them

morality can be a tricky thing but sometimes it's just straight-up good vs evil

hey let's compromise with sauron, maybe only give him half of the world to destroy, i think he'll be satisfied with that

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gently caress off yinlock

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
EDIT - ^^^^^^^^ y?

Yinlock posted:

i bet he sincerely believes his position is 100% earned though his incredible skill

A premise any liberal has to believe by virtue of their own ideology, tbf

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jose posted:

this seems unnecessarily harsh

did you become pro-centrist when i wasn't looking or is this just a buildup from my many bad posts

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Yinlock posted:

this seems unnecessarily harsh

did you become pro-centrist when i wasn't looking or is this just a buildup from my many bad posts

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

A premise any liberal has to believe by virtue of their own ideology, tbf

true, this is probably the biggest thing that links them and conservatives

both think they're naturally better than the peasants, the only difference is how

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jose posted:

no thank you?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jose posted:

you're being a bit weird, boss

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

show yourself coward, i will never log off

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I dont get the yinlock hate he seems like an alright lad

Aren't you Canadian though? That's only barely above Australian

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

nopantsjack posted:

I dont get the yinlock hate he seems like an alright lad

he was a liberal hill shill before the election by his own admittance

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Everyone deserves a Come To JC moment

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Clochette posted:

Better than being a racist mind

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Clochette posted:

Bit rich coming from Mrs The Saurus

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Clochette posted:

yes and then the election happened and proved to me that centrism is dumb bullshit for idiots

this is the yinlock story, it is well-known and i regularly get poo poo for it that i totally deserve

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

can gammons refer to women or is it just for the pasty men?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Pound_Coin posted:

So long as they're also red faced and racist

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pound_Coin posted:

there's your answer

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

multijoe posted:

there's your answer

if anyone doesnt know this story:

http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/16/victory-pie-couple-morrisons-vows-sell-meat-pies-7am-7471602/

if you're old, white and middle class you can do literally anything

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gum posted:

if anyone doesnt know this story:

http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/16/victory-pie-couple-morrisons-vows-sell-meat-pies-7am-7471602/

if you're old, white and middle class you can do literally anything

"if you're old and white enough you can do anything" should be the motto of britain

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Clochette posted:

Hillman is better than a nazi

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Hillman is better than a nazi

but liberals create nazis tho

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Clochette posted:

Please gently caress off

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Clochette posted:

don't hate your parents-in-law

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
The only thing as bad as a nazi is another nazi

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gum posted:

The only thing as bad as a nazi is another nazi

also ants

loving ants, they're such dicks

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Yinlock posted:

also ants

loving ants, they're such dicks

Alright zarathustra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ague Proof posted:

don't hate your parents-in-law

Do

It'd be very appropriate for clochette to be living in a Bernard Manning routine