Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
The internal cooling fan has been making a racket for awhile, but yesterday to get it to actually turn on/light up I had to smack it a few times. Seems to be working now (as well as it ever did, at least), but I thought I'd start shopping for a new one.

I might also be in the market for a brake-bleeding kit/machine/whatever, I think I need to do the clutch in the Fiero and its a pain do to it solo. Last time I had a buddy help me with the brakes, and he still refers to it as "that time the neighbors thought we were having extremely boring gay sex"... ("Push it in, okay, let it out...). He lives across town now, anyway, so some sort of power/solo bleeder would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

boxen posted:

Looks like my cheap parts-store battery charger is dying, anyone have any reccomendations? Just need something to charge car batteries.

I've had very good luck with Schumacher (available at Amazon, Lowe's, and others). Beyond that it just depends on how many options you want for long term battery maintenance, fast charging, jump-starting, etc.

boxen posted:

The internal cooling fan has been making a racket for awhile, but yesterday to get it to actually turn on/light up I had to smack it a few times. Seems to be working now (as well as it ever did, at least), but I thought I'd start shopping for a new one.

I might also be in the market for a brake-bleeding kit/machine/whatever, I think I need to do the clutch in the Fiero and its a pain do to it solo. Last time I had a buddy help me with the brakes, and he still refers to it as "that time the neighbors thought we were having extremely boring gay sex"... ("Push it in, okay, let it out...). He lives across town now, anyway, so some sort of power/solo bleeder would be nice.

I built a DIY pressure bleeder that works reasonably well. Cheapest garden sprayer at Lowe's (I imagine most are threaded the same, but can't guarantee anything for other brands), unscrew the wand just past the trigger and an air tool quick disconnect threads right on. Drill a hole in the top of a junkyard brake fluid cap and screw in the other end of your airline plug (so you can change them out between cars) and secure on the other end with an NPT fitting from the plumbing section. Don't forget to fill in the breather hole/trench on your fluid cap with epoxy. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

boxen posted:

I've got a nice Schumacher that has the same problem. I opened it up and replaced the fan with something non-lovely. Now it works correctly. It's usually only like 4 screws to open them up, then 2 wires to snip/strip/solder.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Huh, I haven't actually checked, but I think mine's identical to this Schumacher: https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-1200A-CA-SpeedCharge-Automatic-Battery/dp/B000BQSIWK/

I guess I should open it up and check for loose connections.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you have a compressor, I like the air-powered vacuum bleeders.

I think they do hand pumped ones too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CarForumPoster posted:

How cheap you wanna go? Laptop charger could work well.

How does a battery charger die though?

If it's like a friend of mine's, it catches fire and burns your house almost to the ground.

Near as they can tell it started at the car battery charger he had plugged in in his attached garage. They were home and managed to get all the cars out of the garage and some important keepsakes and paperwork but the house was a total loss, especially after the evidence destruction team arrived and poured several thousand gallons of water on everything.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Battery Tender Jr. has my vote

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

CloFan posted:

Battery Tender Jr. has my vote

It’ll maintain a charge, but takes forever to actually charge from half empty.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I put one on my stone dead battery I the 996 and it showed full in about 1.5 days. Definitely not a quick charger but if you can wait a day work well and a good maintainer so you don't have to worry about it boiling.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'm going to cut everything I own in half just because I can.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Good thing you don't own anything more than 2" wide

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Look, it's a cold workshop, alright?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Larrymer posted:

Good thing you don't own anything more than 2" wide

Everything I own is hollow.

:colbert:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I want one to stick on my service truck but just can't justify the price for the rare occasion I'd need it.

If you found it on a steal somewhere, please share.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

angryrobots posted:

I want one to stick on my service truck but just can't justify the price for the rare occasion I'd need it.

If you found it on a steal somewhere, please share.

Birthday gift actually, but it was purchased from amazon. Tool only so it was a bit cheaper. I don't see myself using it a ton, but I got a feeling it will be a god-send that first time I do.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Me and my brother are looking at getting some kind of belt sander/grinder for the family workshop, and these seem cheap and possibly useful:

There are a few different brands of various nonamed-ness that all look like either of these ones, just with different stickers and colors (I think Ryobi has one that looks like the latter). Belt can tilt up 90°, and the plate by the disc can be angled. 375W motor, same size belt (915x100mm) and disc (150mm). Weighs around 17 or 21kg, the latter is a bit heavier probably because of what looks like a cast casing rather than pressed sheet metal. They cost about 1200SEK, equivalent to ~$150, but I've seen them in US stores for around $100. That seems to be in line with other tools that aren't in everyones garage costing about that much more here.

Does anyone here have something like it, and how is it to use? It seems to be mostly geared towards wood, is it useable for metal? Of course, given the appropriate belt and some care in how hard it is pushed. What I would like to be able to do is to flatten out sides of certain things, such as cleaning up and straightening cuts in exhaust pipe or square tubing and such. I don't care too much if various plastic covering bits get destroyed from metal sparks or whatever, as long as it works.

There next level of belt sanders is about 6-10x the price and just take up much more room. I'm sure those are better, but it feels like too much money and space for our needs.

The other cheap option would be something more like this:

Those are at least marketed as being useful for metal grinding, but the belt is just 50mm wide which is too narrow to easily grind the end of things like an exhaust pipe.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

As you say, with the right belt they're fine for a little metal work.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
I have one of those bench grinders with a belt on one side at work. It's fine for work you would do on the grinding wheel but where the curve of the wheel is an issue. The main issues are that the belts don't have a lot of surface area so wear out quick and that there is no proper platform so you have to free hand everything.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I use one of these with a demo blade for cutting tree branches that fall in the back yard. It's so much easier than dragging out the chainsaw for something too tiny for it anyway. It' can cut surprisingly huge branches!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Wait, is that thing real?

I thought it belonged in this set:

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I would much prefer one with the wider (100mm) belt, as I want to grind the ends of up to 76mm pipe, or various flanges and stuff. Certainly doable on a narrower belt too, but not as easily. Not to mention the usefulness of just having a large sanding area for the occasional wood thing. Also on that kind, I reckon on I can make an extended rest to make it easier to grind the ends of longer things (pipe, square tubing, whatnot) flat at right angles.

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008

spog posted:

Wait, is that thing real?

I thought it belonged in this set:

It looks cute, but since it takes any full sized sawsall blade, (it just has a shorter stroke than the bigger corded ones) I've absolutely put a 9 inch carbide tipped diablo blade on that specific saw to reach up under a car in a tight space to cut a 5/8ths hardened bolt in half that was seized in a control arm bushing, and it chewed through it with no problem on one battery.

I would not be without one. It's been invaluable during home remodeling as well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

ionn posted:

I would much prefer one with the wider (100mm) belt, as I want to grind the ends of up to 76mm pipe, or various flanges and stuff. Certainly doable on a narrower belt too, but not as easily. Not to mention the usefulness of just having a large sanding area for the occasional wood thing. Also on that kind, I reckon on I can make an extended rest to make it easier to grind the ends of longer things (pipe, square tubing, whatnot) flat at right angles.

If it's just flats you want to grind there are large disc sanders that might be better?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

MrDeSaussure posted:

It looks cute, but since it takes any full sized sawsall blade, (it just has a shorter stroke than the bigger corded ones) I've absolutely put a 9 inch carbide tipped diablo blade on that specific saw to reach up under a car in a tight space to cut a 5/8ths hardened bolt in half that was seized in a control arm bushing, and it chewed through it with no problem on one battery.

I would not be without one. It's been invaluable during home remodeling as well.

I have the m18 one and it has stood up to 6ish years of heavy usage. Its overdue for another disassembly, cleaning, and lubing but still works great. Ive cut up to 6" steel pipe with it no problem.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

If it's just flats you want to grind there are large disc sanders that might be better?

Not only that, but that is one of the things I want it to accomplish.

Never really liked grinding anything but small things on disc sanders, since different parts of the disc moves at different speeds. Want belt.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Build Matthias wandel's belt sander, he has a real simple one on YouTube you could make 6" wide.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MrDeSaussure posted:

It's the perfect tool for cutting plumbing parts under a sink or in the joist space. I love my m12 version.

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

0toShifty posted:

I use one of these with a demo blade for cutting tree branches that fall in the back yard. It's so much easier than dragging out the chainsaw for something too tiny for it anyway. It' can cut surprisingly huge branches!

I've got the M18. Go get some pruning blades and change your life. Short of actually dropping a tree chainsaws are a waste of time. With the 9.0 Battery from my circular saw I'm pretty sure I could clear cut a rain forest in one charge.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have a Makita 18v sawzall, that Milwaukee 12v hackzall looks extremely appealing simply because it would be so much lighter than the full size. I think it's a much better idea than something like the Bosch micro chain saw because replacement sawzall blades are everywhere, I find it difficult to believe the "nano chainsaw" on the Bosch would last very long.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The 12v impact driver/drill/hackzall is sitting in my Amazon cart but i just can't quite pull the trigger.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

angryrobots posted:

The 12v impact driver/drill/hackzall is sitting in my Amazon cart but i just can't quite pull the trigger.

Buy it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have a Makita 18v sawzall, that Milwaukee 12v hackzall looks extremely appealing simply because it would be so much lighter than the full size. I think it's a much better idea than something like the Bosch micro chain saw because replacement sawzall blades are everywhere, I find it difficult to believe the "nano chainsaw" on the Bosch would last very long.

AvE already killed his Bosch, though I'm sure it was fed its share of hot suppers and then some. Agreed on the availability of replacement blades.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I had a li-ion Bosch reciprocating saw. It got through batteries fast and I killed it entirely in a couple of days. I'd be leery of buying another battery-powered cutter from them.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

AvE already killed his Bosch, though I'm sure it was fed its share of hot suppers and then some. Agreed on the availability of replacement blades.
I just watched the video on the death of his chainsaw burned out the motor, melted a piece of plastic, I think a bearing holder or some other piece of electric motor that I don't fully understand.

InitialDave posted:

I had a li-ion Bosch reciprocating saw. It got through batteries fast and I killed it entirely in a couple of days. I'd be leery of buying another battery-powered cutter from them.
If batteries are the problem I've got a solution for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCwivPC7YzU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Found a pretty good deal on cpomilwaukee.com.... refurbished M12 3/8 Hammer drill, impact driver, and hackzall with 3 batteries, charger and bag for $208 shipped. But I talked myself out of it - I'll buy it for myself when I get my wife's house sold. :colbert:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I have an old multimeter from Radio Shack that still works (I think it's called a micronata), but one of the probes has a loose connection. Any idea of where to get new probes? Or how to fix the ones I have?

I'd hate to toss the old meter as it looks basically brand new. A new analog meter is only $10, but I'd rather use this one. (I use this for my unit on electricity and I like having the analog meter so my students also learn how to properly read a scale and such).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I got an old vise for cheap and took it apart to clean up. What kind of lubricant is preferred for the vise mechanism?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MrOnBicycle posted:

I got an old vise for cheap and took it apart to clean up. What kind of lubricant is preferred for the vise mechanism?

Grease.

And old vices are best. I got a 1914 6" Reed last year and after a teardown, clean and rebuild, it's like new. Heavy as a motherfucker, too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

QuarkMartial posted:

I have an old multimeter from Radio Shack that still works (I think it's called a micronata), but one of the probes has a loose connection. Any idea of where to get new probes? Or how to fix the ones I have?

I'd hate to toss the old meter as it looks basically brand new. A new analog meter is only $10, but I'd rather use this one. (I use this for my unit on electricity and I like having the analog meter so my students also learn how to properly read a scale and such).

Hard to say without seeing it, but if you really just need probes, the HarborFreight meter might be worth cannibalizing. They’re just banana plugs with varying shapes of plastic condom.

The HF meter is free if you find the right coupon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Hard to say without seeing it, but if you really just need probes, the HarborFreight meter might be worth cannibalizing. They’re just banana plugs with varying shapes of plastic condom.

The HF meter is free if you find the right coupon.

The probes use different sized connectors on the meter side, if the Radio Shack and Harbor Freight meters I have are any indication.