Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

goodness posted:

This looks fun

sweet giant skull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

goodness posted:

This looks fun

All hail the FAQ, savior and redeemer.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goodness posted:

This looks fun

I thought that was Epic for a second.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Corrode posted:

Alpha Legion cultists still exist. I have no idea why people think screening is less important now, there's still tons of things it matters against.

I’m at this point where I’d prefer Intercessors for a screen with a dash of scouts in scenarios where my deployment zone has little depth.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Z the IVth posted:

Finally decided to take the plunge into 40k and splurged on a pile of Admech and Custodes.

First painted guy crossposted from the other thread

What's your technique for the metal?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
How should I kitbash heavy stubber cultists?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's your technique for the metal?

It's very similar Duncan's from the painting video.

Prime Halfords Black
Base Leadbelcher spray
Wash Nuln oil diluted 50:50 with Vallejo Thinner medium
Drybrush VMA Steel
Pick out details with VMC Copper and VMA steel
Wash Agrax Earthshade diluted 50:50 with Thinner
Drybrush VMA steel over Copper areas and any other bits which have been dulled too much by the second wash.
Weather metal areas selectively with heavily thinned VMC Orange-brown and copper areas with Nihlalkh oxide.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Finally decided to take the plunge into 40k and splurged on a pile of Admech and Custodes.

Fantastic.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Z the IVth posted:

It's very similar Duncan's from the painting video.

Prime Halfords Black
Base Leadbelcher spray
Wash Nuln oil diluted 50:50 with Vallejo Thinner medium
Drybrush VMA Steel
Pick out details with VMC Copper and VMA steel
Wash Agrax Earthshade diluted 50:50 with Thinner
Drybrush VMA steel over Copper areas and any other bits which have been dulled too much by the second wash.
Repeat above to taste.

Awesome, thanks. That looks like a perfect way to quickly get my robots painted.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So who’s going to LGT? I’ve seen a few folk posting ITT and others about it. Is there already, or should we make a goonmeet thread about it?

I’m there for Blood Bowl and Shadespire but it would be wicked to meet some of the other hamgoons.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Awesome, thanks. That looks like a perfect way to quickly get my robots painted.

I've updated the original post with how I did the weathering on the metal.

It's surprising easy, and I really like the VMA Steel - highly recommended. I just bought the Leadbelcher spray and realise that GW wasn't overselling it when they recommend it for basecoating everything metal. It really is excellent.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Z the IVth posted:

I've updated the original post with how I did the weathering on the metal.

It's surprising easy, and I really like the VMA Steel - highly recommended. I just bought the Leadbelcher spray and realise that GW wasn't overselling it when they recommend it for basecoating everything metal. It really is excellent.

I will probably just airbrush it with VMA Gunmetal. The VMA metallics are incredible.

Not sure if I will weather mine or not. I kind of like the dry, clean look.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ineptmule posted:

So who’s going to LGT? I’ve seen a few folk posting ITT and others about it. Is there already, or should we make a goonmeet thread about it?

I’m there for Blood Bowl and Shadespire but it would be wicked to meet some of the other hamgoons.

Me and One_Wing for sure. I'll be there with a big group but I can probably come and say hello.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Z the IVth posted:

Holy hell

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I thought that was Epic for a second.

Same.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

I cannot wait to see what you do with your custodes. Are you going for the normal gold scheme or something more interesting?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Anyway, here's what I'm working on for my death guard. It's pretty unfocused at the moment.

Batt:
Typus
Malignant Plaguecaster

2x7 plague marines with power fist, 2 plasmaguns, blight launcher
14 poxwalkers
11 cultists with autoguns and heavy stubber

5 possessed with icon of despair
Tallyman
Rhino with extra combi bolter

Outrider:
Flying daemon prince
2x bloat drones with plaguespitters
3x blight haulers

70 pts left over to summon a Poxbringer to buff the possessed/prince/daemon engines.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

chutche2 posted:

How should I kitbash heavy stubber cultists?

Use the Orlock gangers? They've got two heavy stubbers and enough long weapons (shotguns and autoguns) to go counts-as.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

I cannot wait to see what you do with your custodes. Are you going for the normal gold scheme or something more interesting?

I bet that white would look phenomenal.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

I'm thinking of going with the Warders scheme and dark armour, except using dark purple instead of black. Similar to what I did on this Kingdom Death mini:

Edit: ^^^ I saw Booley's comment about his White Custodes, it's beautiful but I'm not mad enough to do it! It's only easy on the Armiger since it's super grimy and weathered and the white's intentionally blotchy. Doing crisp clean whites is a lot more troublesome.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 21, 2018

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Technowolf posted:

Use the Orlock gangers? They've got two heavy stubbers and enough long weapons (shotguns and autoguns) to go counts-as.

Oh that's a great idea.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Z the IVth posted:

Excellent work. Would you mind walking me through how you painted the base? I really like the contrast of the grey and brown.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I grabbed the DE codex and started reading it while I flew. Now my mind is filled with visions of Wracks and Kabalite Warriors.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Played 1250 of my Imperial Fists vs some Space Wolves today.

I had a 1500 list, but my opponent only had 1250 so I slapped a quick list together. My opponent on the other hand, brought a repulsor with 5 intercessors in it, some character on a wolf, a captain, the wolf version of a lieutenant, and the Space Wolves flying transport, whatever the hell that's called.

Anyway, he just advanced slowly as a big bubble of re-rolled 1's and turn 1 nuked my Ironclad dreadnought. That made me mad. Then he one-shotted my landspeeder, which I didn't want to bring tbh, but I didn't know his army till he put it on the board, and I wanted a bit of mobility. Also I had points to fill in a hurry and not all my stuff in my car.

Anyway, I dropped orbital bombardment on his little aura bubble and softened up his 4 model death star coming at me, before using flakk missile and hellfire shells to shoot his flyer down, which exploded and killed his lieutenant equivalent and wounded his other characters, killing 2 choppy guys inside.

His repulsor lasted one more turn before devastators hosed its poo poo up as well.

My aggressors, snipers and Lysander mopped up the rest. It was a lovely day.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Excellent work. Would you mind walking me through how you painted the base? I really like the contrast of the grey and brown.

Rocks and gravel were basecoated VMC Dark Grey.
The rest of the base was basecoated VMC Black-Brown and then covered in Agrellan Earth.
When dry, the entire base was washed with Seraphim Sepia and Agrax Earthshade - Apply these in blotches across the entire base, not mixed together.
Then drybrush everything with VMC Dark Sand building to VMC Pale Sand in the brown areas and VMC Basalt Grey to VMC Deck Tan in the grey areas. The brown and grey highlight colours can be applied to either area depending on how brown/grey you want the overall base to be.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 22, 2018

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thank you.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Finished up this fat boy for my maggotkin. But crossposting since he's playable in 40k as well.

His weapon arms are magnetized.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I like how he’s modest enough to cover that fanny :3

Looks great!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
That turned out great!

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Of GW's questionable design shibboleths the "Inside vehicles and bunkers represents some sort of Tardisian null-space where rules no longer apply" is one of the dumber ones.

I guess that and TLOS?

RIP Chimera Command Vehicles not being a goddamn Strategm. :(

I want to use my Tidewall shieldline with 10 fire warriors and a fireblade. But this lovely null zone keeps it off the field. :(

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are these nerds from the main rulebook part of any canon Drukhari organization? If so, what's their deal?

https://i.imgur.com/OpusMnxr.jpg

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Random question about Tyranids; Psychic Scream states "If manifested, the nearest enemy unit within 18" suffers D3 mortal wounds." Can this be used by a Tyranid psyker to "target" an enemy unit that is in melee combat by having them be the closest unit?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yup! It also works when the psyker is in combat.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

mango sentinel posted:

Are these nerds from the main rulebook part of any canon Drukhari organization? If so, what's their deal?

A lot of the kabals have red as part of their color scheme so maybe? I can check the codex later.

Also hit gently caress that’s a gorgeous color scheme. A lot of drukhari armies make their hues waaaay to dark so it ends up looking muddied. This is nice. Archons and Incubi in particular look great.

I just can’t hecking decide on a color scheme for my army!

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

mango sentinel posted:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

A lot of the kabals have red as part of their color scheme so maybe? I can check the codex later.

Also hit gently caress that’s a gorgeous color scheme. A lot of drukhari armies make their hues waaaay to dark so it ends up looking muddied. This is nice. Archons and Incubi in particular look great.

I just can’t hecking decide on a color scheme for my army!

I know for sure that they have official lore about them. These guys are in the special Dark Eldar painting guide that came out a few years back - Raiders of Commoragh. I distinctly remember that archon being featured. Sorry, I can't remember anything else.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
That's the Kabal of the Flayed Skull iirc

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mango sentinel posted:

I have a vague suspicion they were in the painting guide in the 3rd edition codex.

The lore back then was pretty sparse though so I wouldn't bother checking.

(3rd edition codexes were all pretty poo poo, wasn't until 4th when they put the fluff back in)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 22, 2018

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

That's Kabal of the Flayed Skull. They are featured in the dark eldar painting guide (raiders of commoragh)

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DancingShade posted:

I have a vague suspicion they were in the painting guide in the 3rd edition codex.

The lore back then was pretty sparse though so I wouldn't bother checking.

(3rd edition codexes were all pretty poo poo, wasn't until 4th when they put the fluff back in)

The name was used in the 3rd edition book but the color scheme was totally different. Not to mention the fact that it was all the old models- DE didn't get the new range until 5th.

Also, other Mango, if you're interested in them they did a painting tip just a few weeks ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLapgsM5U8c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So I’ve got a 1500pt tournament coming up that’s using the new FAQ. I’ve got the majority of the list done, but I’m trying to decide where to put the last of my points.

Currently list is Hive Fleet Kraken with the following:
Battalion
2x Flyrant (AG, Devourers, and MRC)
3x 10x Termagant
2x Exocrine

Battalion
Flyrant (AG, Devourers, and MRC)
Malanthrope
3x 10x Termagant

This clocks in at 1439pts, leaving me 61 to play with.

Do I:
A) Add a unit of Gargoyles as a harasser/disruption unit
B) Add a Lictor as a harasser/disruption unit and spend the spare points on more gaunts
C) Bulk up the Termagant units by 15 models
D) (Write your own option here)