Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Corrode posted:

Going into Sunday's tournament I haven't lost with DE yet, but I've played two very good match-ups (Primaris and Custodes) and one player who's only reasonable at best, so there's only one that really counts imo. Knowing my luck I'll end up playing One_Wing and his loving Biel'tan which should be a test, to put it lightly.

I’m running as Ulthwe in the end, but sadly it’ll be entirely unrepresentative either way because I get to use pre-nerf Dark Reapers for the last time. I’m not spamming them or anything, but even a unit of five seems real good against Drukari. Flip side of that is that I’m bringing my Wraithguard in the end, and they’re a complete liability against splinter weaponry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Nunes posted:

Sorry about all the probably dumb questions, but did they also replace the wartrukk with the trukk?

Do you mean the Wartrakk? It’s still sold but a little dated

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ork-Wartrakk

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Boon posted:

What are you currently running? What would you run at 1650?

Flayed Skull Battalion

2x Archons, 1x 5 Kabalites/blaster, 2x10 Kabalites/2 blaster/splinter cannon, 4 Venoms

Black Heart Spearhead
1x Archon (warlord, Black Heart relic/CP trait), 3x Ravagers/dark lances, 3x Raiders/dark lance

The warriors and Archons all go in Raiders, the Ravagers go on deep strike. Flayed Skull archons have blast pistols, warlord has a blaster. The battle plan is pretty simple.

I don't think it's optimal - not enough anti-infantry for a pure horde - but it's fun and fucks mech builds.

For 1650 I'd probably throw in a Voidraven, those own.

TsarZiedonis posted:

A black heart kabalite battalion, a homunculi battalion with wracks, the elites detachment with a special character homunculi guy (who gave like D3 extra CP before the game, or maybe that was a stratagem?) and the big dudes muscular homunculi dudes, maybe scourges? Anyways it was 14+D3 CP, and he was regaining CP he *or* I spent in a roll of 6. The detachments were pretty much all minimums, everyone in raiders. It’s a whole lot of CP, with the potential to regain a ton and is actually a really well rounded list, unlike a lot of the older CP gain gimmick lists.

Yeah ok this is what I thought, I can't do that under LGT comp. Sounds cool though!

Milotic posted:

Do you mean the Wartrakk? It’s still sold but a little dated

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ork-Wartrakk

No he does mean Trukks, it used to be a Wartrukk and they shortened the name.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Marine scouts can still use their special deployment, right?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheBigAristotle posted:

Marine scouts can still use their special deployment, right?

Yes. It's not deep strike and they don't arrive in turn 1.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Its also not that useful when you have to be 9" away from the enemy deployment anyway.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, they're more for speedbumping and preventing deepstrikes, Scouts are essentially a defensive unit?

Unless they're in a transport, obv?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Artum posted:

Its also not that useful when you have to be 9" away from the enemy deployment anyway.

It’s amazing in relic games, doubly so if the relic is in cover.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I played an open war game recently where each player's deployment zone was their full table half.

This meant that scouts couldn't deploy closer than 9 inches from the center of the table, because their deployment rule is not optional.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I've seen talk that apparently Genestealer Cult basically can't use the 5 & 6 results when cult ambushing because of the new FAQ. Like, it says that units arriving via reserves cannot make other movements that come from other abilities the same turn. Like Warp Speed and the Swarmlords Hive Commander. So people are saying that Gene Cult can't use their extra movement from results of 5 and 6 on Cult Ambush because of this FAQ

But surely Cult Ambush is different since the advance on a 5 or full move on a 6 is part of the same ability that lets them deep strike right? Like, the specific rule says they can and that would override the FAQ rule right?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Master Twig posted:

I've seen talk that apparently Genestealer Cult basically can't use the 5 & 6 results when cult ambushing because of the new FAQ. Like, it says that units arriving via reserves cannot make other movements that come from other abilities the same turn. Like Warp Speed and the Swarmlords Hive Commander. So people are saying that Gene Cult can't use their extra movement from results of 5 and 6 on Cult Ambush because of this FAQ

But surely Cult Ambush is different since the advance on a 5 or full move on a 6 is part of the same ability that lets them deep strike right? Like, the specific rule says they can and that would override the FAQ rule right?

quote:

This does not apply to a Genestealer Cults
unit that is being set up according to the Cult Ambush ability, or to units that are set up after the first battle round has begun, but before the first turn
begins (such as those set up via the Forward Operatives or Strike From the Shadows Stratagems).

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Nunes posted:

Sorry about all the probably dumb questions, but did they also replace the wartrukk with the trukk?

The old wartrukk is still available in learn to paint kits, people just use the Trukk data sheet when fielding them.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Has anyone had good results in cleaning-up/de-orking a trukk, more-or-less to end up with what Dave Taylor scratch built lo so many years ago?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TsarZiedonis posted:

A black heart kabalite battalion, a homunculi battalion with wracks, the elites detachment with a special character homunculi guy (who gave like D3 extra CP before the game, or maybe that was a stratagem?) and the big dudes muscular homunculi dudes, maybe scourges? Anyways it was 14+D3 CP, and he was regaining CP he *or* I spent in a roll of 6. The detachments were pretty much all minimums, everyone in raiders. It’s a whole lot of CP, with the potential to regain a ton and is actually a really well rounded list, unlike a lot of the older CP gain gimmick lists.

Does this bump into the no more than 3 from a data sheet limit?

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Tested out my LGT list against a local ETC player, using all new rules.

I was running Alaitoc with a Black Heart splash up against custodes bike spam and a guard battalion.

I got beaten fairly hard, but reviewing the game afterwards we were both comfortable that this was a mixture of bad matchup (Alaitoc does very little against Bike spam) and the dice kicking me in the teeth. Notably, i failed to get Jinx off both turns we played, my opponent managed to hit a ten to deny a hyper buffed mind war which would have popped one of his custodes characters (we rolled to see if it would have done), and i managed to pull off a excellent charge and pile in with a wave serpent t1 that would have meant 7 of his 11 remaining bikes couldnt charge t2, but unfortunately five attacking bikes high rolled (i used lightning fast, but my opponent rolled only a single 2 on the 20 attacks) and managed to exactly kill it despite not having their rerolls to wound. From that point on, my opponent stopped failing invulns (he rolled at least 5 fours T2 on the unit i failed to jinx) and the game wrapped up quite fast.

Comfortable the my list basically works and should be fine to submit, which is nice. Agents of Vect is, in fact, super spicy. Also, we set the table according to the terrains maps the LGT published, and if they manage to follow through on the sizes and measurements they’ve listed the tables should actually have a decent amount of terrain on them, which is cool.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

General Olloth posted:

Nope, the only thing there’s more than three of is the raiders.

I think we’re going to start to see a lot of minimum sized battalions now.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

General Olloth posted:

That's actually pretty hard to do with DE. A lot of your strength is in Troops and transports, and a list like the one described there which is split between Covens/Cults/Kabals is going to have very little overlap in the other slots. About the hardest thing for DE is that you can only run max 2 Detachments of any one type (e.g. no more than two Kabal ones) because you only have 1 HQ datasheet for each, ignoring special characters.

One_Wing posted:

Tested out my LGT list against a local ETC player, using all new rules.

I was running Alaitoc with a Black Heart splash up against custodes bike spam and a guard battalion.

I got beaten fairly hard, but reviewing the game afterwards we were both comfortable that this was a mixture of bad matchup (Alaitoc does very little against Bike spam) and the dice kicking me in the teeth. Notably, i failed to get Jinx off both turns we played, my opponent managed to hit a ten to deny a hyper buffed mind war which would have popped one of his custodes characters (we rolled to see if it would have done), and i managed to pull off a excellent charge and pile in with a wave serpent t1 that would have meant 7 of his 11 remaining bikes couldnt charge t2, but unfortunately five attacking bikes high rolled (i used lightning fast, but my opponent rolled only a single 2 on the 20 attacks) and managed to exactly kill it despite not having their rerolls to wound. From that point on, my opponent stopped failing invulns (he rolled at least 5 fours T2 on the unit i failed to jinx) and the game wrapped up quite fast.

Comfortable the my list basically works and should be fine to submit, which is nice. Agents of Vect is, in fact, super spicy. Also, we set the table according to the terrains maps the LGT published, and if they manage to follow through on the sizes and measurements they’ve listed the tables should actually have a decent amount of terrain on them, which is cool.

Sounds like a useful test and agree that's not a great match-up for the Eldar. We've played a couple of games with the LGT terrain set-ups now, and even approximating them with what BIG has (which is very good but obviously doesn't match exactly) I think it gets you a really good, tactical game - much more so than the standard "2 hills, a ruin and a wood" set up.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Corrode posted:

That's actually pretty hard to do with DE. A lot of your strength is in Troops and transports, and a list like the one described there which is split between Covens/Cults/Kabals is going to have very little overlap in the other slots. About the hardest thing for DE is that you can only run max 2 Detachments of any one type (e.g. no more than two Kabal ones) because you only have 1 HQ datasheet for each, ignoring special characters.

Sounds like a useful test and agree that's not a great match-up for the Eldar. We've played a couple of games with the LGT terrain set-ups now, and even approximating them with what BIG has (which is very good but obviously doesn't match exactly) I think it gets you a really good, tactical game - much more so than the standard "2 hills, a ruin and a wood" set up.

You could have 3 archons. Did i miss something?

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you’re not running at least one Battalion (which uses 2) youre probably doing it wrong.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sorry, mentally I was including "if one of them's a Battalion" but that obviously isn't what I wrote. I don't write lists without at least one Battalion in.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Absolutely fair.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Big DE detachments are weird to me because I still have this weird aversion to doubling up on the same HQ types.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Ex-MMA fighter and current WWE pro wrestler Shayna Baszler talks 40k on fellow WWE wrestler Xavier Woods's vidya game YouTube show. Starts around 10:27.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3t2syaN7_I

edit: https://twitter.com/QoSBaszler/status/987735559740313600

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 21, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Big DE detachments are weird to me because I still have this weird aversion to doubling up on the same HQ types.

I've had to use random Kabalite Warriors to stand in for Archons because who the gently caress owned more than one Archon before?

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Corrode posted:

Flayed Skull Battalion

2x Archons, 1x 5 Kabalites/blaster, 2x10 Kabalites/2 blaster/splinter cannon, 4 Venoms

Black Heart Spearhead
1x Archon (warlord, Black Heart relic/CP trait), 3x Ravagers/dark lances, 3x Raiders/dark lance

The warriors and Archons all go in Raiders, the Ravagers go on deep strike. Flayed Skull archons have blast pistols, warlord has a blaster. The battle plan is pretty simple.

I don't think it's optimal - not enough anti-infantry for a pure horde - but it's fun and fucks mech builds.

For 1650 I'd probably throw in a Voidraven, those own.

Yeah ok this is what I thought, I can't do that under LGT comp. Sounds cool though!

No he does mean Trukks, it used to be a Wartrukk and they shortened the name.

Yeah I recently picked up the new Xenos 2 codex and was trying to figure out what all my old models are now as some of them were just not listed. I am glad it is not a case of you can't use these models anymore. Thanks everyone for helping me understand what is what now.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Schadenboner posted:

Has anyone had good results in cleaning-up/de-orking a trukk, more-or-less to end up with what Dave Taylor scratch built lo so many years ago?

You don't even need the truck, you just need some wheels and some square and round styrene tubes to make a frame.

I made my skool bus using his patterns for the body.

You can get ork wheels from most bits sellers or there are a ton of places selling cool looking resin wheels:

Blood and Skull Industries
Zinge Industries

And you can get the styrene tubes from HobbyLinc.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, they're more for speedbumping and preventing deepstrikes, Scouts are essentially a defensive unit?

Unless they're in a transport, obv?

With turn 1 deepstriking nerfed id say Scouts have dropped pretty drastically in usefulness.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

With turn 1 deepstriking nerfed id say Scouts have dropped pretty drastically in usefulness.

They’re one of the few units that will be able to semi reliably get turn 1 charges off without resorting to shenanigans with stratagems or psychic powers. There’s potentially a lot of value in that.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

They're really only there to save points on a battalion for me now.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do it. I believe in you.

I did do it!

Looking forward to my first tournament tomorrow. Don't expect I will do very well but intend to enjoy it

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

Alpha Legion cultists still exist. I have no idea why people think screening is less important now, there's still tons of things it matters against.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Finally decided to take the plunge into 40k and splurged on a pile of Admech and Custodes.

First painted guy crossposted from the other thread

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That's stunning.

I love the dirtied white.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That's loving sick.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Z the IVth posted:

Finally decided to take the plunge into 40k and splurged on a pile of Admech and Custodes.

First painted guy crossposted from the other thread

Jesus christ

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Z the IVth posted:

First painted guy crossposted from the other thread.

Post more.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Anyone from San Antonio, TX? There might be an opportunity for me to move there.

Is there a good gaming scene there?

Also, that knight is rad.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
This looks fun

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

goodness posted:

This looks fun

I hate everything about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010