Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

VulgarandStupid posted:

Maybe you are underselling what it means to look really nice in regards to monitors?

Then what does it mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Spices make food taste better but that's about it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I mean, "looking" is the use for monitors, so "looking really nice" is superlative, but how important this is depends on the user and their uses.

Perhaps I should have underlined really. OLED is pretty much the best kind of monitor. It still just looks good.

Note that I don't know how good the non-OLED monitors are for these, and having a bad monitor is bad no matter what you're using it for, though I would doubt that they're terrible.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 21, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OLED lights the individual pixels instead of having a backlight and opening the pixels to let light through. That means you get proper blacks - when the pixel is off, it's off, there's no backlighting to bleed through. You might have a seen a phone with that display, it means you can't tell where the screen ends and the black bezel starts

It also should mean better battery performance, since you're only lighting the pixels that need it instead of blasting a full brightness light at the back of the screen the whole time. You should also get better/more vibrant colours, and response times are meant to be better (how quickly the picture changes, less ghosting/blurring when things move)

But burn-in is a thing, when you display the same thing on part of the screen for a long time, it can stay there as a kind of inverted shadow. Again you might have seen this on phones. Honestly I don't know if I'd want to be an early adopter for this kind of tech in a laptop

movax
Aug 30, 2008

What's a good system performance / profiling tool for Windows 10? Trying to get to the bottom of why my fresh install of Win10 on a quad-core i7 in this XPS 13 runs like dogshit. It can't just be Chrome causing this. My money is on lovely power management behavior from the CPU jumping states but would like to confirm it. CPU usage sitting at 5% but my mouse cursor is stuttering, Win+Tab is slow and poo poo and the thing acts like it has a spinning hard drive in it still.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

baka kaba posted:

OLED lights the individual pixels instead of having a backlight and opening the pixels to let light through. That means you get proper blacks - when the pixel is off, it's off, there's no backlighting to bleed through. You might have a seen a phone with that display, it means you can't tell where the screen ends and the black bezel starts

It also should mean better battery performance, since you're only lighting the pixels that need it instead of blasting a full brightness light at the back of the screen the whole time. You should also get better/more vibrant colours, and response times are meant to be better (how quickly the picture changes, less ghosting/blurring when things move)

But burn-in is a thing, when you display the same thing on part of the screen for a long time, it can stay there as a kind of inverted shadow. Again you might have seen this on phones. Honestly I don't know if I'd want to be an early adopter for this kind of tech in a laptop

I had a Playstation Vita almost 8 years ago with an OLED screen. Is it still early adoption at this point? I guess the newer Thinkpad has the OLED option but I haven't seen much complaints yet.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Looks like the upgrade would be $150 for the Thinkpad Gen 2. Anyone here used it? Like it?

I am leaning towards the Thinkpad Gen 2 with the i7-7500, WQHD display, and 512MB HD for $1.7K. That's a little over my budget though; what could I cut?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

movax posted:

What's a good system performance / profiling tool for Windows 10? Trying to get to the bottom of why my fresh install of Win10 on a quad-core i7 in this XPS 13 runs like dogshit. It can't just be Chrome causing this. My money is on lovely power management behavior from the CPU jumping states but would like to confirm it. CPU usage sitting at 5% but my mouse cursor is stuttering, Win+Tab is slow and poo poo and the thing acts like it has a spinning hard drive in it still.

honestly just back up your stuff and reimage the machine, you'd be shocked how often it helps

I recommend that only because it'll 100% confirm if your issue is software or hardware, and tracking down whatever's actually causing the problem will likely take much more time than the ~1.5 hours it takes to backup, reimage, restore.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looks like the upgrade would be $150 for the Thinkpad Gen 2. Anyone here used it? Like it?

I am leaning towards the Thinkpad Gen 2 with the i7-7500, WQHD display, and 512MB HD for $1.7K. That's a little over my budget though; what could I cut?

Some guy is selling a Dell laptop about as spec'd out as they come in SA-mart, if you're okay with no warranty, buying from internet strangers and not a 2-in1.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mu Zeta posted:

I had a Playstation Vita almost 8 years ago with an OLED screen. Is it still early adoption at this point?

It definitely is for PC monitors and laptops. OLEDs on Phones, tablets and televisions are all mature at this point.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Got a Gigabyte Aero 15x v8. I must say, I really like this. But my last laptop was an Acer with an i5 540m from 2011 that could not run BF3 for poo poo. So my idea of great comes from that. I got this for work, so if I was going to drop coin on a laptop, it better loving game. I was going to get the MSI, I had it pre ordered, I was excited, yadda yadda, but I noticed the MSI didn't have a numpad, which is fine for gaming, but for the fact that I'm punching numbers on a laptop hooked up to a running vehicle, I didn't want to peck at the top row, so I dumped it for the Gigabyte. Some are reporting keyboard issues, mine seems fine. Lightbleed is what is expected on such a thin screen.

The 144hz feels pretty good, but its akin more to my desktop at 96 hz or so, I didn't check the response time on the pixels vs the two. No screen tearing from the few games i tried, so I guess the 144hz is doing its job there. I didn't notice any under clocking when the fans started really hitting hard. PUBG and Arma III are butter smooth. I even gave Star Citizen (laugh track) a shot, I was getting 25-35fps depending on location with it.

I mean, this is kind of what I expect out of this price point. It looks pro, doesn't look like a gaming laptop as long as you change the LED keyboard to something normal. No real complaints except for the fact that it seems that the official Nvidia drivers are locked out and you must use the "Smart Update" for video drivers. This makes the GeForce Experience time out when trying to update drivers, it's real dumb. Why do this?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mu Zeta posted:

I had a Playstation Vita almost 8 years ago with an OLED screen. Is it still early adoption at this point? I guess the newer Thinkpad has the OLED option but I haven't seen much complaints yet.

I mean the monitor panels really, it'll take a while before you know how bad the burn-in will be. Apparently they're having trouble getting good yields from the bigger panels, and computers tend to have more static elements than TVs (taskbar especially), so who knows

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

movax posted:

Did you install the display drivers or did you let windows update do it? Usually i see this same behavior on laptops that aren't using the correct intel or nvidia driver and using whatever garbage win10 decided to use.

Also try turning off windows defender and see if you have any improvement. Defender can go nuts and trash your perf on occasion...

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 22, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

lol I haven't rolled with an exposed taskbar in like 10 years

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Either way you're bound to keep some elements on screen for a really long time, such as address bars and other menus

I've never had any burn in on my phone screens personally but I've definitely seen it happen

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I mean, this is kind of what I expect out of this price point. It looks pro, doesn't look like a gaming laptop as long as you change the LED keyboard to something normal. No real complaints except for the fact that it seems that the official Nvidia drivers are locked out and you must use the "Smart Update" for video drivers. This makes the GeForce Experience time out when trying to update drivers, it's real dumb. Why do this?

Have you tried doing a fresh Windows install? I ended up ordering this as well and it's great to hear that it's good otherwise.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

KingSlime posted:

Either way you're bound to keep some elements on screen for a really long time, such as address bars and other menus

I've never had any burn in on my phone screens personally but I've definitely seen it happen

The stock monitor off times on laptops are pretty fast as well as sleep timer.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's not the point though

I had a Galaxy Nexus which was OLED, I didn't use it excessively or have it bright or anything, but after a year or whatever if you looked at something fullscreen (like a video) you could see the status and navigation bars superimposed like a glowing inverted shadow. Those parts of the screen were usually black, so you ended up with this inconsistency developing - I dunno if it's the pixels being brighter because they were underworked or what. Looked bad though

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
My old T430 is undergoing mechanical hinge failure, so I think it's finally time to upgrade. I mostly use a laptop for communication and software development, and usually only carry it short distances, so while I don't want a huge cinderblock, I also don't need something as light/thin/small as possible, and a dedicated GPU is probably more of a hindrance than anything. A good, high resolution screen and capacity to be upgraded to 32GB of RAM in the future are important, and plenty of CPU won't hurt. Build quality is extremely important to me, as I expect this to last five years (or more) of heavy use.

I've been eyeballing the upcoming XPS 15 9570 and its fancy screen for a while, but the OP prompted me to have another look at current Thinkpads. The T430 was good while it lasted and Lenovo's warranty service was outstanding when the keyboard failed. The T580 seems to have all the features I'd want for a much lower price, at the minor(?) cost of being bulkier on all dimensions, though I don't mind the improved cooling and maintenance that usually entails.

I can put the cost difference to work on a better CPU and a nice long on-site service warranty and still have surplus to spare, but it's definitely less shiny. Anyone want to check my thinking and advise one way or another, or propose a third option?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

foutre posted:

Have you tried doing a fresh Windows install? I ended up ordering this as well and it's great to hear that it's good otherwise.

Nah, something about losing the x-rite calibration and possibly LED control. But I haven't looked too hard.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Mince Pieface posted:

I'm curious how much difference the standalone GPU actually makes with the XPS 15, I'm not playing top end games but Path of Exile can cause video lag you wouldn't expect :P

If it helps, I'm playing POE on a Acer Swift 3 that comes with a 150MX GPU and can play fine at 1080p with little to no dynamic downresolution. AFAIK the xps 15 comes with either a 1050 or a kaby lage G that both outclass the 150MX.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I was pretty surprised how decent the integrated Intel 620 or whatever graphics are, I found out a bunch of less demanding games will run real nice in 1080p and that means barely any fan noise. I can play Rocksmith through the speakers without having to compete with a jet engine

But yeah the 1050 will absolutely make the difference between a good experience and completely unplayable for heavier stuff. It's not the most powerful GPU, but you'll always be able to turn stuff down until it runs well without making too many sacrifices - not that you always have to, but the potential is there. The integrated graphics just won't be able to handle some things at all

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Any dedicated GPU is going to make a lot of noise though. Its not that bad on the Swift 3, apart from some slight coil whine and constant revving of the fans at medium load.

Was hoping for the new XPS15 2 in 1 to get good ratings on noise emissions but I'm reading this thing starts blowing quite hard.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

My cheap rear end HP Stream gave up the ghost, so I guess I need a replacement. I mostly just used it for internet and occasionally would remote to my desktop so I could play games in bed (nothing intensive, just simulator or puzzle games).

Is the latter something that could be replicated on a Chromebook? I haven't used one before but they seem to otherwise be needs-suiting.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hello, I have a question for you. I've read the OP but a year is a long time in hardware.

Long ago I used to run Windows, FreeBSD, Ubuntu, whatever, on Dell laptops. This was when Ubuntu was new and everyone heralded it as the year of linux on the desktop.

Anyway, I got sick of things like fighting with wifi drivers and switched to macs, where I've been ever since.

It's come time to buy a new work laptop and I'm prodding at the idea of a PC laptop with linux in place of the default MacBook Pro. Actually I've been using a 12" MacBook (1.2 GHz Intel Core M, 8GB RAM) for the last 3 years and it's served me well as a superlight, but I need that beef back for the development VMs my clients like to run.

I understand that ThinkPads are the go-to, indeed the devs I've seen with PC/Linux have gone that route, but I've always seen them as bulky and, well, a relic of a different era. One with CD drives.

I'm not looking for a macbook clone necessarily, but is there a high-build-quality machine y'all like that puts a bit more emphasis on portability and usability, e.g. I hear bad things about PC laptop track pads.

Any thoughts? Or am I giving thinkpads a bad go?

I usually go 13" for portability but a 15 isn't out of the question if it's a light one. Budget is around $3000.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hello, I have a question for you. I've read the OP but a year is a long time in hardware.

Long ago I used to run Windows, FreeBSD, Ubuntu, whatever, on Dell laptops. This was when Ubuntu was new and everyone heralded it as the year of linux on the desktop.

Anyway, I got sick of things like fighting with wifi drivers and switched to macs, where I've been ever since.

It's come time to buy a new work laptop and I'm prodding at the idea of a PC laptop with linux in place of the default MacBook Pro. Actually I've been using a 12" MacBook (1.2 GHz Intel Core M, 8GB RAM) for the last 3 years and it's served me well as a superlight, but I need that beef back for the development VMs my clients like to run.

I understand that ThinkPads are the go-to, indeed the devs I've seen with PC/Linux have gone that route, but I've always seen them as bulky and, well, a relic of a different era. One with CD drives.

I'm not looking for a macbook clone necessarily, but is there a high-build-quality machine y'all like that puts a bit more emphasis on portability and usability, e.g. I hear bad things about PC laptop track pads.

I usually go 13" for portability but a 15 isn't out of the question if it's a light one. Budget is around $3000.

Thinkpads aren't really the go-to anymore, and Dell has manufacturer-supported Ubuntu laptops that are built like Macbooks, but even ligther: https://www.dell.com/developers

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

xps 13 is delicious

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

xps 13 is delicious

I'm not so sure. Maybe it's just me getting lost in Dell's website but there doesn't seem to be a developer edition of the "New 13" XPS and it's also completely unconfigurable. Even macbooks do better than that.

The 5520 seems a decent shout, though the one available in the UK is the Anniversary Edition, whatever that means.

One of the reasons I've been holding off on the purchase so far is there's talk of quad core i9s coming soon, any of that hitting the PC laptop world? I notice these are 8th gen i7s, or Xeons.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Jaded Burnout posted:

One of the reasons I've been holding off on the purchase so far is there's talk of quad core i9s coming soon, any of that hitting the PC laptop world? I notice these are 8th gen i7s, or Xeons.

There's already a mobile i9, the 8950HK. It's 6 core 12 thread. I'm a little confused by your question though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Jaded Burnout posted:

Throw that image of Thinkpads out of your mind. All of the good things about Thinkpads that you may remember started going away the second that IBM sold off the laptop business to Lenovo. They are their own critter now, now twelve years removed from the last IBM designed product.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There's already a mobile i9, the 8950HK. It's 6 core 12 thread. I'm a little confused by your question though.
The page for the yet unreleased xps15 mentions it as an option too.
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-15/spd/xps-15-9570-laptop

quote:

Super-speed processors: The most powerful XPS laptop we’ve ever built includes the latest 6 core 8th Gen Intel® Core™ processors and an optional NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1050Ti graphics card (4GB GDDR5 video memory), so you can blaze through your most intensive tasks.​

Ultimate Mobile Performance: The first Intel® Core™ i9 mobile processor with up to 6 cores and 12 threads, delivers more single and multi-threaded performance than 7th Gen—with the ability to overclock. Intel’s most-powerful mobile platform for creators enables faster 4K video editing with Adobe Premier Pro*.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Check out Lenovo's graphics dock with integrated 1050 for $350, was designed by actual engineers, has a real warranty

I don't even care if it has the performance hit, that's a fantastic deal, isn't glowing blue/green/red, doesn't look like a fischer price toy. Oh, and it works with regular 6' USB-C cables and has power delivery, so you can finally do single-cable to your laptop on the desk, and hide the graphics dock somewhere else out of the way and plug everything in to that instead, out of sight. Love it.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Check out Lenovo's graphics dock with integrated 1050 for $350, was designed by actual engineers, has a real warranty

I don't even care if it has the performance hit, that's a fantastic deal, isn't glowing blue/green/red, doesn't look like a fischer price toy. Oh, and it works with regular 6' USB-C cables and has power delivery, so you can finally do single-cable to your laptop on the desk, and hide the graphics dock somewhere else out of the way and plug everything in to that instead, out of sight. Love it.

Is there anything like this with like a 1070 instead? Maybe in a few months?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

tudabee posted:

My cheap rear end HP Stream gave up the ghost, so I guess I need a replacement. I mostly just used it for internet and occasionally would remote to my desktop so I could play games in bed (nothing intensive, just simulator or puzzle games).

Is the latter something that could be replicated on a Chromebook? I haven't used one before but they seem to otherwise be needs-suiting.

This is exactly what a CB can take care of. I use mine for those specific purposes: anything Web-related (including streaming multimedia) and using Chrome Remote Desktop to connect to Windows machines.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sorry, it was a very vague question.

Based on this article there's a good chance that the macbook pro will get an i9 in June, so I was wondering whether similar upgrades were on the horizon for PC laptops, or if they have them already, since I wouldn't want to buy something that's about to be updated.

But then again presumably PC laptop manufacturers like to actually tell people they're going to release a new model rather than making us guess?

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I'm going to be traveling a lot with work and so was looking at picking up an ultrabook type laptop, will be used for some gaming, remote play to my PS4, then also running a few VMs (6 or so) for work related stuff when needed.

I was hoping that dell would have released their new XPS 15 by now but I'm gonna be on my travels before that happens now, I see they have a bit of a sale on the current XPS 15, will I be making a big mistake if I go for one of the high spec current gen 15's rather than wait it out? Or would anyone recommend something completely different?

I'd like it to be portable, minium of a proper i7 processor, 32GB RAM, good sized SSD and a dedicated GPU would be a bonus but not essential.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sounds like we're in the same situation.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

It does. Ideally I'd wait for the new XPS 15 with the i9 but that's not really an option, whatever I get I need it delivered by the coming weekend. Also is there any indication of what the UK price for that will be? I know we get shafted on hardware over here, I can see that going for closer to £3000 than £2000.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

There's talk of £949 for a $999 model so I'm thinking just change the currency symbol to be safe.

I'm coming around to the idea of switching because it'll make Windows dev easier too, without having to use my gaming PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I'm in a similar boat. I need a laptop that I'll be using primarily for photo editing on a deadline, so the editing & export process need to be quick. I'll need to have it in hand before June 1, so the new XPS 15 makes me worry a bit in terms of release & availability.

What are the other frontrunners for multimedia -- photo + video editing primarily? I'd like some power to edit photos (25+MB RAW through Lightroom & Photoshop) and possibly video as well (Premiere & After Effects, probably 4K footage) when I don't have my desktop handy.

A decent display with good color gamut + accuracy would be nice.

Ideally, I'd like to stay under $2k.