Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

quote:

Earlier this month, Slovakia’s interior ministry said it would be willing to take in 200 refugees, but would strongly prefer non-Muslims. “We want to choose people who really want to start a new life in Slovakia. Slovakia as a Christian country can really help Christians from Syria to find new home in Slovakia,” said Ivan Netik, a spokesman for the ministry, according to Reuters. “In Slovakia we have really tiny community of Muslims. We even don’t have mosques.”

Polish prime minister Ewa Kopacz described Poland as a Christian country with a particular responsibility to help Christians. It has taken in several Christian-only groups (paywall) of refugees sponsored by non-governmental organizations, and the country’s immigration agency told the Financial Times that applicants’ “religious background will have [an] impact on their refugee status applications.”

Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borissov has said that his country has “nothing against Muslims,” but that accepting Muslim refugees might tilt the country’s religious make-up, which is currently 60% Orthodox Christian and 8% Muslim. Estonian minister of social affairs Margus Tsahkna, arguing against taking in Muslim migrants, said, “After all, we are a country belonging to Christian culture.” And Czech President Milos Zeman said that refugees “from a completely different cultural background” would not be a good fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Whew, it's okay everyone, calling a Syrian woman a white American westerner makes sense because some former Warsaw Pact countries did a thing.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Grape posted:

It's like the Middle Eastern/Mediterranean look is JUST on the border of American definitions of white

I know people say and think this, but it's incredibly ignorant and obviously never written by anyone who has ever been anywhere in MENA. Middle Easterners and North Africans are as diverse as hispanics in terms of skin/hair/eye color, although I get the impression that Americans often seem to also consider hispanics "brown" which is also incredibly dumb for anyone who has ever been to Latin America or spoken to anyone from a Latin American country. Walking around Tunis or Beirut or Cairo or Istanbul you'll see 100% native-for-many-generations people who look as white as your stereotypical Frenchman Macron, and people as dark as a stereotypical Sudanese like Omar al-Bashir, just as you'll find blond Greeks and swarthy Greeks. Yeah you won't see many blonde adults or redheads (though you will see no shortage of blond children), but most native French are dark haired too.

Like here are some Tunisian chicks:

I didn't even have to cherry pick, they were like the third and a reasonably representative photos of Tunisians. My wife is from North Africa and she looks just like that chick in the middle, while her full-sister looks more like the stereotypical (and very misleadingly simplistic) appearance, with black frizzy-ish hair and dark eyes and an olive complexion even in winter. Even using famous people, look at Sadat, Zinedine Zidane, Oum Kalthoum, Omar Sharif, and Nancy Ajram. Guess what, they all look incredibly different and some could pass for native Scandinavians. Likewise, Macron would blend in anywhere in the Mediterranean Arab countries and would never receive a second glance on public transport anywhere. Kabylie people, for instance, are are also often incredibly "white" looking and could easily pass as native English. My wife has Kabylie in-laws, and the whole family has striking blue eyes and medium-dark brown hair and their skin is lily white when they've been living in Europe all winter. It's also very dark tan after they've spent a few weeks in summer back in Algeria.

It is also not at all a thing that "oh but the rich people are white and poor people are the stereotypical browns". Or, I take that back: it is slightly true, but guess what? Poor people get a poo poo ton more sun exposure than rich people, because rich MENA people are always in their air conditioned apartments, cars, and offices. Also much like 1850s Europe, whiter skin is desirable, probably partly because of racist historical undertones, but honestly much more overtly because poor people work outside and rich people have air conditioning and avoid the brutal beating sun. If you compare homeless Europeans to average Europeans, they're going to be a poo poo ton darker too, but it's not because those hobos were pre-selected for their skin tone, but rather that their skin tone is a result of their living conditions, and if you give them an average European office job for a winter they'll be just as light skinned as anyone else.

I think there are at least a couple other posters here who are Turkish or Mediterranean Arab, or who have lived there, that can pipe in. HorrificExistence, since your only experience with what Arabs look like is from Call of Duty games and Kathryn Bigelow movies, maybe you should shut the gently caress up. At least in Egypt, Christians are also not even remotely more "white" on average than an average Muslim Egyptian. There is absolutely zero difference besides clothing.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It’s almost like Race is a social construct or something with only a tenuous connection to genetics and skin color 🤔

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Ah yes, the American definition of white. I remember when we established a consensus on that

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Ah yes, the American definition of white. I remember when we established a consensus on that

Really all you need is the Ben Franklin quote about how Swedes are far too swarthy to be considered part of the White race.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, the Druze, and other Shias generally threw in their lot with Assad with the Alawites and Christians. It isn't so surprising, look at Egypt and Sisi for a comparable example.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SickZip posted:

98% of admitted Syrian refugees in America are Sunni Muslim

Under 1% of admitted Syrian refugees are Christian despite Syrian Christians being over 10% of the population.

Citation needed.

quote:

Our middle east foreign policy is 100% aligned with the Sauds and Israel and consistently shows predictable religious favoritism. We literally can't/won't stop funding Sunni Jihadists no matter how often they try to wage war against us. We went back to funding Al Qaeda barely a decade after they killed a couple thousand Americans. If you're trying to pretend we show the slightest bit of even pretend concern for middle eastern christians, you're out of your goddamn mind.

Is this a quote from a blaze article ripping on Barack Hussein.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Nobody said we love Sunni Muslims way more than Christians. The point is just that Christians aren't this privileged caste that loves Assad because uh the US considers them white enough or something. It's hard to even understand wtf point anyone's trying to make while defending that idiotic post calling a Syrian Christian a white American--even if she got accepted into the US because of her religion, which isn't the case, you'd think having to flee the country would make her less of a fan of Assad, not more.

The average Syrian christian is way better off than the average Syrian Sunni. Syrians Christians are used as a rallying cry by the far right to justify the atrocities of Assad. Sunnis in Syria are undergoing a large scale demographic engineering project spearheaded by the regime and its allies. Just last week you had 55,830 Syrians from besieged eastern Ghouta underwent forcible population transfer to make way for more "favorable minorities". It is the same bullshit rhetoric "they gonna murder all of us if they win!" that was/is employed by apartheid/sectarian regimes to deny transfer of power to the majority.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Syrian Christians have had it far too easy for far too long.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Savy Saracen salad posted:

The average Syrian christian is way better off than the average Syrian Sunni. Syrians Christians are used as a rallying cry by the far right to justify the atrocities of Assad. Sunnis in Syria are undergoing a large scale demographic engineering project spearheaded by the regime and its allies. Just last week you had 55,830 Syrians from besieged eastern Ghouta underwent forcible population transfer to make way for more "favorable minorities". It is the same bullshit rhetoric "they gonna murder all of us if they win!" that was/is employed by apartheid/sectarian regimes to deny transfer of power to the majority.

You do realise that the entire population of recently liberated eastern Damascus were not in fact forcibly displaced yeah?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Savy Saracen salad posted:

While Christians have also been tortured, murdered and bombed by the regime, they're collectively better off under the regime than many Sunnis, yes, but they know how fast that can change, as the example of ISIS atrocities against Christians in Iraq which both the US and EU recognized as genocide very recently demonstrated--it's not an imaginary threat. Just this week there were reports of Yazidis being persecuted for their religion in the supposedly safe Turkish occupation area, so it's not hard to imagine that even non-ISIS jihadist groups might treat religious minorities very badly, especially in areas where their Turkish masters aren't holding the whip. Christians are in a very precarious position, and don't have the luxury of betting that the jihadists will magically disappear once Assad is gone instead of dominating a post-Assad Syria.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
East Ghouta jihadists surrender their tanks and ATGMs.

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/987621140997734400

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/987691717364207616

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Grape posted:

So she takes the side of the government busy ethnically cleansing and murdering the other side.
Hands clean!

The fact that the people actively engaging in inflammatory sectarian rhetoric/AKA being an accessory to genocide are the ones accusing others of having dirty hands tells you how loving insanse Western policy in the ME is

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
Nah, its not Apartheid...its just another loving autocrat.

The Allawites are being rammed in the same way Bibi and Putins supporters are....its all platitudes and labels for a fucker own creature comfort.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

54.4 crowns posted:

Nah, its not Apartheid...its just another loving autocrat.

The Allawites are being rammed in the same way Bibi and Putins supporters are....its all platitudes and labels for a fucker own creature comfort.

You can also add rural Turks and Erdogan in that list.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Looks like there is over a dozen tanks and armored vehicles, they must have been parked underground or something since they have not been destroyed by russian air force or maybe they simply lacked fuel to use them. Wonder what kind of leeway that much armor gave the rebels in the negotiations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

The fact that the people actively engaging in inflammatory sectarian rhetoric/AKA being an accessory to genocide are the ones accusing others of having dirty hands tells you how loving insanse Western policy in the ME is

what? what's even going on with this derail about some syrian christian woman possibly having problematic politics?

Rincewinds posted:

Looks like there is over a dozen tanks and armored vehicles, they must have been parked underground or something since they have not been destroyed by russian air force or maybe they simply lacked fuel to use them. Wonder what kind of leeway that much armor gave the rebels in the negotiations.

It's quite possible the Russians just aren't able to effectively hit tanks from the air.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Randarkman posted:

It's quite possible the Russians just aren't able to effectively hit tanks from the air.

Lol. Sure. Or any reason which makes any sense, most likely they put a tarp on it. Or parked it in a garage. Or the fact they weren’t using them in any large offensives so weren’t directly threatened by Russian AirPower.

Or the Russians can’t hit a drat thing.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
If I was the SAA/Russians and I knew the besieged rebels didn't have the fuel, spare parts, ammunition or technical know-how to maintain and operate these vehicles, I'd also sit on my hands and hope that one day they'd be recaptured rather than burn both old and new money by scrapping them by force.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Ardennes posted:

You can also add rural Turks and Erdogan in that list.

I know my Arya Stark List thankyouverymuch....

And yes definitively...and Europe to, its like a positive feedback with these fuckers.

On the good news I have a watertight proof of concept of my cosmopolitanism..no matter who you are, no matter what creed or ideals.....thats not gonna stop you from burning down the village to save it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Saladman posted:

I know people say and think this, but it's incredibly ignorant and obviously never written by anyone who has ever been anywhere in MENA.

Aside from being exceedingly wrong about my first hand experiences here (I'm also married to someone from the area), you're not actually disagreeing with me dude.

The general look is what I'm talking about, this doesn't actually clash all that much with saying "actually it's varied". Yes, of course it is. There's also a general sort of look in question that can be summarized up, which winds up at the limits of what Joe Midwest would consider white in the US. Some folks would unquestionably pass as white, others would struggle even with people knowing they're Christian or whatever.
This applies just as much to many Hispanic populations, of which yes I am also super familiar (and even more familiar with the diversity of it considering the local Hispanic population where I am is Puerto Rican).
You're right, so am I. There was never really a conflict here unless I misread your post or something. Maybe you're targeting the idiot claiming Christian Arabs were LITERALLY white people and not socially.

In the spirit of sharing diversities I've seen, one of my sister-in laws (married to one of my wife's brothers) has some fairly clear sub-saharan ancestry. And could pass as light skinned black in the US (especially if she lets her hair come in natural), so I know a black Greek for all intents and purposes. Oh and that's Cypriot Greek, so Levantine folks.

Grape fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 21, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nothing's confirmed yet, but some people on twitter are posting video with sounds of gunfire in the background in Riyadh and saying it's coming from the king's palace.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Maybe it's MBS executing a cousin with some AA cannon hey had lying around

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They say it's not serious.

https://twitter.com/aliShihabi/status/987774858871427072?s=19

:derp:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Rumblings are it was a drone shot down with small arms.

Press release here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FSV8w1UoZA

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

we should listen to the word of someone whos job it is to lie.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was about to say it seemed to be pretty contained, whatever it was, since there were only a couple videos a whole bunch of people kept retweeting, but some newer videos just popped up. Who knows--it's not like anyone's confirmed where all the videos are even from.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 21, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

we should listen to the word of someone whos job it is to lie.

I was trying to imply that it was the last person who's word we should listen to.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Volkerball posted:

I was trying to imply that it was the last person who's word we should listen to.

I'm not blaming you I'm just being snippy.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Well, there is a lot of gunfire..and some are saying it sounds near the Palace.

Let's see what this is about..

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I found video of the shooting, yikes that’s a lot of shooting going on, my bet is the houthis snuck in guys and guns to make a propaganda suicide attack.

https://twitter.com/hassanalishaq73/status/987767473222152192

https://twitter.com/hassanalishaq73/status/987758377374748672

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Maybe tomorrow the new King will announce it was all no big deal.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MAybe the kings already dead

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Maybe not speculate on anything until something confirmable happens

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What would even happen if the king died? MbS looks like he's king in all but name.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
lovely palace security freaking out about a drone. In more important news Verne Troyer is dead.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm not ready to believe anyone yet, but the people (and/or bots) pushing the coup narrative the hardest seem to be the ones using fake citations.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 21, 2018

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

until there's actual news coming out, as much as I'm loathe to say it but it's totally beleivable that it was some idiots toy drone and they shot a thousand bullets at it. the area it's in is super densely populated and really central in the city so it's believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/987765785400573953

Is that really the sound of people shooting at a drone? I mean, there are two narratives right now, of a drone and a coup (reading the reddit thread on it is strange because there are people pushing both, but the coup narrative seems to have a ton of links that don't really confirm poo poo) but that seems wildly excessive for a drone.