Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

esperterra posted:

Combat feels great to me, but the camera movement feels pretty stiff for how much you're doing.

And I swear quick turn doesn't face me backwards half the time and instead he turns to the side.

It feels like quick turn only works for me when I'm not in combat. it's very strange

Kawabata posted:

revenants are pure loving cancer

Yeah I hate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Revenants:

Shock arrows and executioners smash. Easy way to take them out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I must say I'm consistently impressed by the environment design of this game. Every zone is just insanely detailed, visually distinct and well-composed.

I'm also glad I stuck with the growing pains of Challenging because now I'm really wreckin' stuff.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Played for a couple of hours, met the dwarf and upgraded my axe, called it a night at the second troll fight after that.

Graphics, sound design, music, characterisation and dialogue are all absolutely top notch. The puzzles so far have been decent too, complex enough to be satisfying, not too difficult to disrupt the flow. That's a hard balance to strike so kudos for that.

The only thing I'm a bit down on is the combat. I don't like how restrictive and close the camera feels, and overall the combat doesn't really flow that well. Of course I have a ton of moves to unlock which I'm sure will help, but it just feels a bit too clunky and spammy right now. I'd like to be able to throw the axe without manually aiming for example.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Bardeh posted:

Played for a couple of hours, met the dwarf and upgraded my axe, called it a night at the second troll fight after that.

Graphics, sound design, music, characterisation and dialogue are all absolutely top notch. The puzzles so far have been decent too, complex enough to be satisfying, not too difficult to disrupt the flow. That's a hard balance to strike so kudos for that.

The only thing I'm a bit down on is the combat. I don't like how restrictive and close the camera feels, and overall the combat doesn't really flow that well. Of course I have a ton of moves to unlock which I'm sure will help, but it just feels a bit too clunky and spammy right now. I'd like to be able to throw the axe without manually aimingnfor example.

There is a light attack skill rune called Leviathan Throw (I think?) which is basically just a REALLY massive forward throw of the axe. One of my favorites so far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah the puzzle design so far is really good, reminds me of Zelda in all the best ways

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The combat really started coming together for me once I realized Kratos' fists + shield are way better than the axe, which is better used as a ranged attack + crowd control device while you slam dudes halfway across the map. When Atreus gets Light arrows you can really fill up the stun meter into R3 sync kills in a hurry on the regular mooks going bare-handed. Once you start using all your moves in conjunction with one another it's freakin awesome and you look like a boss.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
early on it definitely seems like the most useful thing to do with the axe is use it to lock an enemy down while you wail on another one and then line it up just right so when you call the axe back it cuts through like 5 dudes, killing them all

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Sony did hit the nail on the head with this game’s release timing. People who grew up playing the original series most likely are dads who disappoint their sons intensely by this point

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
For anyone getting seriously into the setting, Neil Gaiman's new book "Norse Mythology" owns bones.

Retro42 posted:

No one spoil it for me but, I’ve got a mistletoe arrowhead and a grudge with Baldur. I’m going to start Ragnarok aren’t I?

All that reading about Norse mythology when I was younger is weirdly useful.

Dick

Mandrel posted:

same. I was obsessively doing them for a while but it’s been 3 or 4 in a row now I’ve just given up because I can’t figure out how to hit all three in time

Pro tip:

Throw axe behind first bell. Casually walk to second and line up shot.

Call axe to ring bell one, throw at bell 2, call axe, throw at bell 3.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
About an hour in I got into an anime fist fight with Conor McGregor so it's got my attention at least.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just went through the light beam area and beat the boss and yeahhhhh this is just as good as the 10/10 reviews said. So dang happy about this game existing. If it’s not my GOTY then good lord 2018 is going to be insane. The combat is the most fun I’ve had fighting in any game ever. I’m desperate for a horde mode down the line. Also come on patch that photo mode in ASAP! I haven’t seen an eta on it but it’s surely coming soon.

What runic attacks are you guys enjoying? I haven’t totally settled on an R1 but I like the wide horizontal slash I got somewhere recently. R2 has been the leap smash aoe freeze since I first got it. Absolutely wrecks clusters of enemies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Abysmal posted:

About an hour in I got into an anime fist fight with Conor McGregor so it's got my attention at least.

That was Jeremy Davies, aka Farrady from LOST, aka The Drunk Jesus from American Gods :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I just went through the light beam area and beat the boss and yeahhhhh this is just as good as the 10/10 reviews said. So dang happy about this game existing. If it’s not my GOTY then good lord 2018 is going to be insane. The combat is the most fun I’ve had fighting in any game ever. I’m desperate for a horde mode down the line. Also come on patch that photo mode in ASAP! I haven’t seen an eta on it but it’s surely coming soon.

What runic attacks are you guys enjoying? I haven’t totally settled on an R1 but I like the wide horizontal slash I got somewhere recently. R2 has been the leap smash aoe freeze since I first got it. Absolutely wrecks clusters of enemies.

The shield charge light runic is really good because it not only makes Kratos immune to all damage during the run, but cancels all stun and poison/burn effects while it's active.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve got a talisman where he punches the shield and a big stunning sonic pulse hits everyone in front of him. And a R2 where he does a triple overhead aoe smash. But yeah, there are sooooo many decent abilities. I found a freeze ray R1 attack that’s just fun as hell as well.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Press Square to BOY

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ugh. I really wish I went to the big building in the center of the lake first instead of last. God knows how many door spots I didn't collect.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Flytrap posted:

Press Square to BOY

BOY gets some pretty rad upgrades.

Hold square for GHOST WOLVES OUTTA FUKKEN NOWHERE!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Atreus upgrades are the most important upgrades you can do. He is a beast especially with stacking stun on creatures that otherwise you do pitter patter damage to. They're also cheaper than other upgrades to incentivise them and not forget him. Always be slamming square.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
About midway through the game BOY becomes capable of handling some of the weaker enemies entirely on his own and I have never been prouder of my god son.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Seriously when in combat just keep slamming square and enemies will be flying all over the place in purple hazes of WEAK

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Switching to easy was a good choice.
Also the game is very pretty and it feels like Horizon/Zelda.
PS4 doing pretty okay.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Im confused on how to progress. I'm in Alfheim and every direction involves the blue gems that make bridges, but the boy just says "too bad the witches bow string doesn't work anymore"

There is some conspicuous blue brazier that looks like it might recharge it, and that's my best guess but the boy won't interact with it. No idea what to do next here.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Im confused on how to progress. I'm in Alfheim and every direction involves the blue gems that make bridges, but the boy just says "too bad the witches bow string doesn't work anymore"

There is some conspicuous blue brazier that looks like it might recharge it, and that's my best guess but the boy won't interact with it. No idea what to do next here.

I just finished that section. You'll know when it's time to use those as the puzzle solution - it's not those. There's a place that looks like you need it with another door on the other side of a bunch of caged dudes - walk through that door then fall down to continue.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
early in the game you have to chase BOY and if you press BOY enough times he starts sounding worried and actually says "ATREUS!!" :3:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Follow Atreus around, your bow will gain the ability to shoot light arrows after a cool setpiece you can’t miss

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I love how extremely little patience and interest Kratos has in the dwarfs as if hes in the wrong game

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

I love how extremely little patience and interest Kratos has in the dwarfs as if hes in the wrong game

Or just the overall RPG aspects in general. "gently caress them, it's not our problem. Don't gently caress up my weapons, they're already perfect."
He's still in a hack and slash.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Kinda disappointed that as far as I understand the gow series is about using a million different weapons and tools while this gow has the axe, your fists, the boy and that's it as far as I know (past Alfheim)
Also can we make DAD an official game genre now? Last of us, this game, come on

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

“A man breaking his journey between one place and another at a third place of no name, character, population or significance, sees a unicorn cross his path and disappear. That in itself is startling, but there are precedents for mystical encounters of various kinds, or to be less extreme, a choice of persuasions to put it down to fancy; until--"My God," says a second man, "I must be dreaming, I thought I saw a unicorn." At which point, a dimension is added that makes the experience as alarming as it will ever be. A third witness, you understand, adds no further dimension but only spreads it thinner, and a fourth thinner still, and the more witnesses there are the thinner it gets and the more reasonable it becomes until it is as thin as reality, the name we give to the common experience... "Look, look!" recites the crowd. "A horse with an arrow in its forehead! It must have been mistaken for a deer.”

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
As a father of two this game has already made me tear up.

I immediately prioritized upgrading the bow and goddamn my digital BOY is wrecking poo poo

I love video games!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Calaveron posted:

Kinda disappointed that as far as I understand the gow series is about using a million different weapons and tools while this gow has the axe, your fists, the boy and that's it as far as I know (past Alfheim)

Not really, the GoW series was built on blades of chaos and will die on blades of chaos. Only in GoW3 could you use anything else really reliably, and even then only the Nemean Cestus were worth using in addition to the blades.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a lot of battles even before I got to the With of the Wood had me thinking "how the gently caress am I gonna do this" on Hard but now thank gently caress I've got equipment and my first health boost. I feel like the more along I get in the game the more options you get which is good, but man 2 of those early fights---the 10-draug pit and the "2 spearguys followed by another spearman and co" in particular--were really tough at a point where you don't have all that much in terms of stuff you can use.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The balance feels off with the health upgrades, because each upgrade gives you a lot more health, and I feel like the first act of the game would have been a lot more fun if each apple had given me a little more health rather than waiting until #3 to get a huge increase. There were several fights where if I'd had just a sliver more health I'd have won, including the first boss, which I almost beat on the first try :mad:

edit: plus, so far, I mean the apples were spread out and were all in optional areas with puzzles so good fuckin' luck if you're not a total :sperg: like all of us and check every path before doing the sensible thing which is "follow the boy who's telling you to hurry up and follow him"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

precision posted:

edit: plus, so far, I mean the apples were spread out and were all in optional areas with puzzles so good fuckin' luck if you're not a total :sperg: like all of us and check every path before doing the sensible thing which is "follow the boy who's telling you to hurry up and follow him"

BOY WE ARE GATHERING RESOURCES SO THAT WE MIGHT BETTER SURVIVE OUR JOURNEY DO NOT QUESTION ME AGAIN

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
double tip: you can cancel rage mode while its still active to save some rage if you don't need it

use rage as often as possible and needed, don't try and keep it as an emergency button, it builds decently fast

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Man the Travellers are no joke. :(

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Anyone else getting a strong Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver vibe from this game?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Welp I wasted $60 on this game. I haven't played a lot of 3rd person console games, but I cannot stand the combat. It's so needlessly complicated. Why does it take 3 buttons to throw an axe? I feel like I spend 80% of my time dodging and then just get shot in the back by some random anyway. My attacks feel like they do nothing and using the stun grab attack doesn't even kill most enemies. Half the time I awkwardly run towards a wall skating along it with a dude and throw him only to do pitiful damage. I get that I'm bad, but taking 5-6 tries just to get past fights in act one isn't really fun. Also the camera sucks. It feels really clunky with the controller and it's so easy to get lost in a fight when you're trying to focus and also have to hit 8 buttons and time blocks and poo poo.

I hated combat in dark souls and the witcher as well so I guess I should have known coming into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this poo poo is so dumb on the harder difficulties. literally get three shot by same level generic mooks, who take like ten hits to kill. awesome.