Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Amanchu Advance ep3 trip report: Katori-sensei is still the best teacher in anime, and I hope Teko overcomes her self-esteem issues.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sakurazuka posted:

Tom Clancy is dead though

its sigsawa

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Darling in the Franxx confirmed for anime of the decade

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Guy Goodbody posted:

Darling in the Franxx confirmed for anime of the decade

I don't agree with you there but it's real good

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I dropped Hinamatsuri, I don't really get what they're trying to do with like, teens being homeless or being conned into bartending. I think it's trying to make you both laugh and feel sympathetic but it mostly just made me angry at how they're treated. When we got to Nitta threatening to throw Hina out on the street I was done.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
A lot of the manga readers say that much of Hinamatsuri's humor is predicated upon people being terrible to one another, which seems uncommon enough in anime that I'm gonna stick with it.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Sakurazuka posted:

Tom Clancy is dead though

Then who is making all those videogames?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
the undead

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

an actual dog posted:

I dropped Hinamatsuri, I don't really get what they're trying to do with like, teens being homeless or being conned into bartending. I think it's trying to make you both laugh and feel sympathetic but it mostly just made me angry at how they're treated. When we got to Nitta threatening to throw Hina out on the street I was done.

There was quite a bit of tonal whiplash between the first half of episode three and the second half, I noticed. The second half was funny enough to keep me watching, though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Coaaab posted:

A lot of the manga readers say that much of Hinamatsuri's humor is predicated upon people being terrible to one another, which seems uncommon enough in anime that I'm gonna stick with it.

Welp, that description just killed any interest I had in Hinamatsuri.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that seems like a real oversimplification of a show that has pretty well balanced heartwarming and comedic moments. also at this point Hina is the only person regularly being awful to anyone, aside from the setup of the bartending joke.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gmq posted:

that description is also wildly inaccurate

the characters can be dicks to each other sometimes but the entire point is that a bunch of people who have been dicks to other people their entire lives for a variety of reasons learn to adjust to one another and have moments of genuine bonding, with the comedy coming from the friction between the bonding and their defense mechanisms. the tone can get weird sometimes because of that but its not a series that revels in misery/characters being needlessly cruel to each other or anything.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hinamatsuri has a ton of genuine pathos and triumphant joy, its cool. I dont know if teh anime is good sorry.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

an actual dog posted:

When we got to Nitta threatening to throw Hina out on the street I was done.

I don’t think that was a serious threat, Hina’s just a kid so of course she takes random stuff seriously like that

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ehh I'll give it a second shot.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

RME posted:

I don’t think that was a serious threat, Hina’s just a kid so of course she takes random stuff seriously like that

Yea I know I just felt really bad for her lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

seeing Hina fail so thoroughly at cleaning and then collapsing from bad ikura is definitely demoralizing lol

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Wotakoi isn't very good.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There's a hint in the opening that Anzu doesn't stay homeless. She's just being dumb.

Hitomi complains that her bank account is getting too big for her parents not to notice. I think not having a license is worse than being a minor, but she works for goddamn Yakuza. The scene with her homeroom teacher was still the funniest in the episode.

RME posted:

Whether he was joking or not, they now both have something to apologize to each other about after Hina stops puking her guts out.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

gmq posted:

The characters are all comedically self-absorbed and selfish, but they do genuinely care about each other. It's a screwball family comedy of weirdo misfits whose worst traits bring out the best in each other. There's some drama and pathos throughout, with Anzu initially facing the worst out of it, but like Endorph says it's never a cynical show.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Anzu kinda deserves it. Homeless dude is just making sure she's okay because he's the one who recently helped the Yakuza track her down and she continues to gently caress with them.

Edit: She continues to not tell anyone that she's in a lovely situation, so I guess I can't say she deserves it but she does bring it on herself.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Araki posted:

Wotakoi isn't very good.

Good choices for product placement at least. But yeah, it's kind of just an unremarkable straight adaptation right now apart from the voice acting.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I guess I can empathize with Hinamatsuri viewers who might get the impression that a lot of the comedy is built upon Schadenfreude, but my opinion is that the ways in which the various characters deal with their misfortunes is the real source of some great laughs and makes the characters very relatable. They're all flawed goofballs and I love it.

The tonal whiplash of Anzu's current troubles compared to everything else going on is pretty severe, granted, but (without spoiling anything) I think it adds quite a lot to the story overall and Anzu is a great character.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's a small moment but the part in HisoMaso where Hisone uses the yogurt she was given by a strange old woman as an emotional revelation trigger was very good and funny

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Mentat Radnor posted:

I guess I can empathize with Hinamatsuri viewers who might get the impression that a lot of the comedy is built upon Schadenfreude, but my opinion is that the ways in which the various characters deal with their misfortunes is the real source of some great laughs and makes the characters very relatable. They're all flawed goofballs and I love it.

Thematically closer to Konosuba than Bunny Drop.

Also, I dropped Bunny Drop a long time ago after a few episodes. I just found out how it ends :stare:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Ranzear posted:

Thematically closer to Konosuba than Bunny Drop.

Also, I dropped Bunny Drop a long time ago after a few episodes. I just found out how it ends :stare:

So the good news about that is that the anime ends way before the manga gets weird. It's been some time since I watched it, but I found it genuinely excellent, and, having done so, proceeded to never look at a single page of the manga. (Its reputation precedes it.)

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Knorth posted:

It's a small moment but the part in HisoMaso where Hisone uses the yogurt she was given by a strange old woman as an emotional revelation trigger was very good and funny

I hope she's going to learn a new life lesson thanks to a different Yakult product in every episode. If you're going to have product placement, you might as well lean into it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:agreed:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Usagi Drop is fine as long as you don't read past the time skip.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
It hasn't been many episodes, but I haven't been too keen on Golden Kamuy - which is a shame since I really like the comic. Something about the animation just doesn't do it for me and I've found it to be a bit distracting, for lack of a better term. Hinamatsuri continues to be good though and the shorts I've been watching have been amusing too. And, thus far, Megalobox continues to be good too, so I'm hoping that continues to keep up steam.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amanchu's odd melancholy vibe makes me constantly worried something bad is going to happen even though it's not even close to that sort of show and is pretty upbeat about everything

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The octopus episode of Amanchu just felt really off to me for whatever reason, but this latest one was right in its wheelhouse.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm watching nobunaga 2 to catch up with the 3rd season and I love how even though the comedy is so simple the voice acting is lively enough to always sell the joke. Laughed a lot more than I usually do lately watching it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

finally got around to the second ep of Katry's Mystery Files and it was a much stronger showing than the first. important clues are highlighted to help make the mystery audience-solvable (for a younger audience) but the second episode had a much weirder premise and tad more complexity to how things came together that made it feel a bit more meaty than the first. the story they wove from that mystery was also much better/emotionally affecting. only stuff i'd like to see in the future are some multi-episode arcs, and hopefully the formula isn't to end every mystery with heartwarming moments.

loving the dynamic between Katry and her put-upon assisant/their weird dog, and her flourishes and twirls really bring joy to the otherwise standard animation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The second episode was a lot more Layton than the first, yeah.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The new episode of Binan High is a riot.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

an actual dog posted:

Yea I know I just felt really bad for her lol

Hina is a cuter version of Magic Man from Adventure Time.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

if there are people who think a middle school bartender isn’t the funniest poo poo then i don’t know what their problem is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Parallax posted:

if there are people who think a middle school bartender isn’t the funniest poo poo then i don’t know what their problem is

I wonder if the anime is going to cover Hitomi's military training in America

• Locked thread