Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I finished up painting my Spiderfang army and took it to a small local tournament for a spin. Went 1-2, which is about the best I think I could hope for. I did win Best Painted though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Finished up this fat boy for my maggotkin.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wish there were a way to run idoneth allied with death. fish aelves and the vengeful ghosts of the drowned would have a lot of neat modeling opportunities

i guess by definition the seas of the deepkin are pretty ghost-free though

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

zeal posted:

i wish there were a way to run idoneth allied with death. fish aelves and the vengeful ghosts of the drowned would have a lot of neat modeling opportunities

Ghosts are food, not friends

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

zeal posted:

there is, you just do it and ignore the official fluff because who loving caaaaares about that?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

GreenMarine posted:

Finished up this fat boy for my maggotkin.

In awe at the size of this lad. Absolute unit.

(Are those magnetized forearms I see in the back?)

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I'm not going to be drawn in by fish elves.

But the process of soul-searching that was prompted by just how cool those models are brought me to a different realization. If they do a lizardmen re-imagining as cool as they've done with the fish elves then I'm going to be pulled kicking and screaming into Age of Sigmar despite my resolution not to.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Played a game at Warhammer World today. Lessons learned:

• Thunderhead Brotherhood owns
  • Hexwraiths suck.

Photos soon!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Danimo posted:

I finished up painting my Spiderfang army and took it to a small local tournament for a spin. Went 1-2, which is about the best I think I could hope for. I did win Best Painted though.

I was just thinking about Spiderfangs this morning. Your army looks awesome!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tardigrade posted:

In awe at the size of this lad. Absolute unit.

(Are those magnetized forearms I see in the back?)

Yeah I magnetized his arms. Works pretty well.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Thanqol posted:

I'm not going to be drawn in by fish elves.

But the process of soul-searching that was prompted by just how cool those models are brought me to a different realization. If they do a lizardmen re-imagining as cool as they've done with the fish elves then I'm going to be pulled kicking and screaming into Age of Sigmar despite my resolution not to.

they re-imagined lizardmen as seraphon so you're safe

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
97 Bloodbros "playable" in two weeks!

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Percelus posted:

they re-imagined lizardmen as seraphon so you're safe

True, they’re 100x cooler than they used to be (and seraphon is one of the best names they’ve come up with yet)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
at least theyve finally managed to suppress the weird furry art showing up in gis of seraphon

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tardigrade posted:

True, they’re 100x cooler than they used to be (and seraphon is one of the best names they’ve come up with yet)

Seraphon is a decent name they came up with. Shame they came up with it like 20 years ago. As Seraphon is the name of Malekiths Black Dragon.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Seraphon is a decent name they came up with. Shame they came up with it like 20 years ago. As Seraphon is the name of Malekiths Black Dragon.

True, but it’s more appropriate to the current fluff considering the (intentional or unintentional) reference to the seraphim, which are both angels and fiery serpents with burning venom sent as a divine punishment.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Little Article on the Deepkin High King.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/23/who-is-high-king-volturnos-apr-23gw-homepage-post-3/

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
he looks uptight

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I won my FLGS's escalation league using my old fantasy high elves and am slightly shocked and confused.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This is a good little shortstory.

https://malignportents.com/story/zensts-decree-of-ordinances/

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Yeah there’s lots of decent ones. They’ve really turned it around. The Skaven one was really good, made me want to collect some after I’ve got my Disciples of Tzeentch done (so 2030 then).

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So honestly I've been pretty impressed lately with how they've shaped the game since it came out and I think it looks pretty fun now-a-days. I'm torn between Daughters of Khaine, Sea Elves, and Sky Dwarfs...

I was just mulling over which factions they have yet to do something new for, and I've come up with:
Slaanesh
Beastmen (unless you want to count the Tzaangors)
non-Pestilens Skaven
High Elves
Goblins
Normal Humans

Am I missing anything?

I know I'm interested in seeing new Skaven stuff.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The deepkin lore is decent. The book doesn’t necessarily land in the top 3 that have been written, but there are some cool ideas. This book has a bit too much of the neologisms with creature and place-names that some of the early books had. Making up infinite lore isn’t storytelling. That said, they’ve definitely gone in a unique direction with the fish-elves that bring their own ocean to the battle and this has enabled them to explore some cool designs that you wouldn’t normally expect to find. There is some interesting story potential here, but they need to dig into the culture with the kind of dialogue and character development that army books don’t provide.

The thralls are sweet, drawing some design cues from the old executioner models and they seem quite powerful as a battleline unit.

The standard king seems to be quite a bit less powerful than the High King, given only a 40 point difference. I think you’d always want to take the high king. His +1 attack buff applies to 3 units instead of 1.

This army looks intimidating to paint, but I kind of want to jump in and use it to improve my skills. I’ve been painting a lot by the “How to Paint” videos and it feels a little bit like paint by numbers now.

Between the Airship Dwarves and the Fish Elves, GW is really embracing some unique ideas to expand Sigmar and make it stand out. Giving each army a unique core mechanic has also worked out really well. Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Murder Elves, and Fish Elves all stand out as having a strong feel that comes through in their mechanics.

AoS remains under appreciated.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
In retrospect, they need to revisit some armies like the Frost Ogors and give them a unique army-wide mechanic that represents the Everfrost (or whatever it’s called). Their endless winter that follows them wherever they go. Maybe on turns 1-3 the winter builds up, hits hard to their advantage on turn 4, and then hits so hard it hurts the ogors on turn 5.

One problem with the neologic naming of everything is that I find it hard for some of the lore to bake into my brain. I’m trying to decide if this was a mistake, or it’s just a sort of short-term “new IP” cost they are paying.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I stumbled on this blog about a year ago and have been following them ever since thanks to the decent quality lore reviews.

http://thegoodthebadtheinsulting.blogspot.com/2018/04/order-idoneth-deepkin-part-1-lore.html

I only post it now because the author seems to agree with your assessment of the lore and even expands on a few more problems (as well as their positives).

The insight thats sticking with me from the review is the observation that AoS is closer to Conan than it is LotR.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I just noticed something on the GW site - they have the Battleforce: Khorne Bloodbound Slaughterstorm ($170) and the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Expansion: Khorne Bloodbound ($205.)

Both include:
- 1 Skarr Bloodwrath
- 3 Mighty Skullcrushers
- 5 Wrathmongers
- 10 Blood Warriors
- 20 Bloodreavers

However, the Slaughterstorm set, which is $35 less expensive, adds one Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer.

I wonder how many people are still buying the Bloodbound set and effectively screwing themselves out of $65?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

I just noticed something on the GW site - they have the Battleforce: Khorne Bloodbound Slaughterstorm ($170) and the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Expansion: Khorne Bloodbound ($205.)

Both include:
- 1 Skarr Bloodwrath
- 3 Mighty Skullcrushers
- 5 Wrathmongers
- 10 Blood Warriors
- 20 Bloodreavers

However, the Slaughterstorm set, which is $35 less expensive, adds one Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer.

I wonder how many people are still buying the Bloodbound set and effectively screwing themselves out of $65?

A Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur costs the same amount as the Start Collecting Seraphon set which it is included in. They even mention this on its store page. GW pricing is screwy.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

A Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur costs the same amount as the Start Collecting Seraphon set which it is included in. They even mention this on its store page. GW pricing is screwy.

Oh, I know that. I get that individual pricing makes no sense when compared to the Start Collecting sets, but this is literally the same set with one guy added in. Obviously, the Bloodbound set is older, but it's pretty crappy that GW is still selling it right next to the newer, cheaper set (ostensibly in the hopes that some sucker doesn't compare the two sets.)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How are Wanderers? I've been debating getting back into AoS. Part of my issue is i'm not really sure what style of army I want to play. I've tried out Ironjawz, Stormcast and Bloodbound. Haven't liked any so far.

I also want an army that can be competitive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zuul the Cat posted:

How are Wanderers? I've been debating getting back into AoS. Part of my issue is i'm not really sure what style of army I want to play. I've tried out Ironjawz, Stormcast and Bloodbound. Haven't liked any so far.

I also want an army that can be competitive.

If you want Elves. Maybe the New Deepkin or Cult of Khaine Armies.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

If you want Elves. Maybe the New Deepkin or Cult of Khaine Armies.

Deepkin certainly look rad aesthetically. How would they play? Is it a good mix of shooty/stabby/magicky?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zuul the Cat posted:

Deepkin certainly look rad aesthetically. How would they play? Is it a good mix of shooty/stabby/magicky?

They are indeed a mix of the three. And from previews have the racial ability that makes it so that only the closet unit to a enemy unit can be shot. (Meaning your heroes are nice and safe in the back-line.)

They also have the tide of death ability.

Here are the warscrolls for the currently released units. The actual book has the rest of them. Which contains more priests and wizards, along with various ridden beasts with both powerful ranged and melee attacks.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Volturnos.pdf
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Akhelian_King.pdf
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Lotann.pdf
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Eidolon_of_Mathlann_Storm.pdf
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Eidolon_of_Mathlann_Sea.pdf
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Namarti_Thralls.pdf
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Namarti_Reavers.pdf

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 26, 2018

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i imagine the goblin army will be night goblin/squigs expanded into a full list which is fine with me

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only new army i really want to see is whatever tyrion did with his share of elf souls in the realm of light

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

zeal posted:

the only new army i really want to see is whatever tyrion did with his share of elf souls in the realm of light

stormcast eternals - elf edition

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

AnEdgelord posted:

I stumbled on this blog about a year ago and have been following them ever since thanks to the decent quality lore reviews.

http://thegoodthebadtheinsulting.blogspot.com/2018/04/order-idoneth-deepkin-part-1-lore.html

I only post it now because the author seems to agree with your assessment of the lore and even expands on a few more problems (as well as their positives).

The insight thats sticking with me from the review is the observation that AoS is closer to Conan than it is LotR.

I agree with his analysis that it's a pretty lazy "they are fantasy dark eldar".

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

quote:

This is less the low fantasy warfare of the past, and more akin to almost Conan-like works with entirely new concepts to them.

except the hyborian age is the quintessential low fantasy setting, so this man seems confused

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

except the hyborian age is the quintessential low fantasy setting, so this man seems confused

He's correct in that high fantasy reflects epic heroes. Conan straddles the line between low and high - he's an epic hero in a (mostly) low-fantasy world. Warhammer could also straddle that line - on the one hand you have fantasy Europe, but on the other, you have Aztec lizardmen. AoS is straight up high fantasy characters in a high fantasy world.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
calling conan a hero is a stretch. hes more of a dirtbag and scoundrel who wins the day by gritting his teeth and hewing through people with his sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Would it be more accurate to think of AoS as Planescape?

• Locked thread