Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like the top was blown off a tank or silo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/04/19/car-narrowly-escapes-thai-ufo-video/

Looks like it hits the power line on the way down, too, with some arcing going on.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Messadiah posted:

gonna need an explanation for this

Those are what's known as "I just poo poo myself" hazard blinkers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Messadiah posted:

Flying saucer lost control, clipped the power lines and crashed in front of that car.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Messadiah posted:

Gravity.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there any update on what caused the blast at the Czech chemical plant last month?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

New transformers movie looking bad

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Sonic version doesn't include the people lol'ing in the background...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ6_YoGw6gM

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/un4bhuS.mp4

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is that his arm covered in embers in the last few frames?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
I can't find the article with all the gross hospital pictures, but that dude got severely burned on a fair amount of his upper body.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

so what was he doing?

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Throwing charcoal dust into the fire, looks like.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Don't Ask posted:

Throwing charcoal dust into the fire, looks like.

If I’m recalling what some other goon reported, it was a homemade smoke-bomb stuff. Which was a fine powder and had coal dust as a component?

Regardless the biggest surprise for me is he’s about 40 and still hasn’t outgrown being in his early 20s.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Proteus Jones posted:

If I’m recalling what some other goon reported, it was a homemade smoke-bomb stuff. Which was a fine powder and had coal dust as a component?

Regardless the biggest surprise for me is he’s about 40 and still hasn’t outgrown being in his early 20s.

Given the video evidence, I'm mostly impressed he lived beyond his early 20s.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

weg posted:

They need to fire whatever moron decided to stack those like that. What did they think was going to happen there?

I'm trying to apply my dumb senses to this one.

The best I've been able to come up with is that this is someones genius tactic to make picking up those sheets easy with one person. Instead of bending over and trying to stand each flat sheet up and then pick it up you just let the sheet fall over your back/shoulder. You can see the guy sort of crouch down and get ready to just grab it and go.

The reason they are stacked in the middle of the lawn is that surrounding them is that really lovely and probably super overpriced vinyl fencing that people will lose their minds if you damage or the structure they are still assembling. Instead of just stacking them normally they got creative to still be able to have their leaning plywood but not creative enough to remember physics.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Proteus Jones posted:

Yep

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This guy got really badly burnt to 30% of his body but he was still happy to unwrap his bandages and peel off huge chunks of burnt skin when a news crew dropped by his house.
VERY MUCH :nms: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5611489/Mans-horrific-injuries-revealed-engulfed-flames-barbecue.html

quote:

After throwing the bucket's contents onto the fire it spectacularly exploded in his face, causing severe burns to a large portion of his body.

'The flames came out and bit me hard,' he said.

The steel top of the barbecue meant the chemical concoction - which Mark said he used to make smoke bombs - had nowhere to go but straight back into his face.

'It fizzes like a firework but it will fill a garden with smoke,' he explained.

Mark, who originally hails from the United Kingdom, said he panicked after the explosion and ran into his house.

He was in such a frazzled state that he fell over after sprinting inside.

After a stint sitting under a tap in his garden, his partner called an ambulance.

Over the phone, paramedics recommended Mark sit in the shower with cold water running over him.

At this point Mark said he could see 'flesh falling off' his body as the serious injuries he suffered from the intense heat became apparent.

Mark, aged in his mid-40s, was rushed to Hawkesbury Hospital where he stayed overnight.

He was forced to stick the top half of his body out the window in order to keep it cool.

As he was suffering from burns to 30 per cent of his body, surgeons had no choice but to peel back his skin to 'bleeding tissue', and he spent three weeks in a hospital bed after being transferred to Concord Hospital.

'The burns were so severe. The pain was ridiculous,' Mark said.

His skin was so damaged by the burns that it removed the extensive tattoos on his left arm.

He used to work at the hospital as a security technician, and said some of the staff recognised him when he arrived, asking him, 'What the f**k are you doing here?'

Proteus Jones posted:

A gigantic percentage of Australians of all ages are immature dickheads, I'm 100% not surprised at all

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 22, 2018

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/Xxsc8ry.mp4

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Did... did someone fill a balloon with hydrogen?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Yes, they were called zeppelins.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Maybe it's LPG.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone beefed.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Splicer posted:

Did... did someone fill a balloon with hydrogen?

If that's hydrogen, then they're all deaf, permanently.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/rxOV65M.gifv

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dodge dummy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The driver is insanely lucky.

He escaped injury while driving this truck which was hauling two trailer loads of ammonium nitrate. The fire caused a rupture but didnt set it off. :v:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was at a museum and saw this

Fender mounted acetylene tank for the headlights.

quote:

Acetylene is chemically unstable which makes it very sensitive to conditions such as excess pressure, excess temperature, static electricity, or mechanical shock. Exposure to any of these conditions can cause it to undergo a violent, explosive decomposition reaction. If this reaction or ignition occurs within the torch base or supply hose it can propagate back into the storage cylinder causing it to explode violently.

Acetylene is very easy to ignite. In fact, the energy from a static spark capable of igniting acetylene is lower than for any other fuel gas except hydrogen. The static charge developed by walking across a carpet floor on a dry day can be 1700 times greater than that needed to ignite acetylene! When unburned acetylene gas is discharged from a torch, static electricity can be generated at the torch tip. If the tip comes in contact with a ground path, a static spark capable of igniting the gas can occur.

Acetylene burns at a very fast rate. The very fast burn rate can accelerate the rate at which pressure is generated in an explosion beyond what would occur for other fuels. This makes acetylene explosions more violent than those of other fuels.

Seems like the perfect thing to mount at bumper level of other cars.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

Beats dumping solid calcium carbide into the headlight housing every few miles. No one in that car would survive a collision severe enough to burst that acetylene tank anyway.

Early automobiles were amazingly dangerous in almost every way imaginable.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Beats dumping solid calcium carbide into the headlight housing every few miles. No one in that car would survive a collision severe enough to burst that acetylene tank anyway.

Early automobiles were amazingly dangerous in almost every way imaginable.

If it wasn't for the massive shrapnel filled fireball they could have been thrown to safety.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

If it wasn't for the massive shrapnel filled fireball they could have been thrown to safety.

Just as an aside, Prest-o-lite was the first successful automobile headlight system, as a proper electric light hadn't been figured out yet. It was enormously profitable and one of the company's founders built the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I'm not aware of any problems due to the systems on the cars proper, but there were some spectacular explosions at the shops that were refilling the tanks.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Sjl_x3fs0

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

If that's hydrogen, then they're all deaf, permanently.

Wrong. If the balloons contain pure hydrogen they'd give a small pop and large fire whoosh, like you see in the video.

However, if the balloons contain knallgas, a 2:1 by volume mixture of hydrogen and oxygen, THAT'S when you get the loud bang.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Powershift posted:

So close to being actual blinker fluid!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wrong. If the balloons contain pure hydrogen they'd give a small pop and large fire whoosh, like you see in the video.

However, if the balloons contain knallgas, a 2:1 by volume mixture of hydrogen and oxygen, THAT'S when you get the loud bang.

Ah, so the Pacific Science Center was juicing the hydrogen ballons when I was a kid. Good to know.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

evobatman posted:

So close to being actual blinker fluid!

That reminds me of something I've been noticing a lot lately, that some newer car indicators are really loving hard to see from the side during the day. Is this due to fixture shape, LED orientation, something else I haven't considered, or all of the above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Are cars not coming with dedicated side indicator lights anymore?