Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If I ever set up Jigsaw-style deathtraps where people have to choose where they get stabbed in the brain I'm definitely no inviting you guys because you would suck all the fun out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I dunno, figuring out how to place as many non-fatal skull-nails as possible sounds exactly like the kind of thing that would show up in a Saw movie.

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012
https://i.imgur.com/UzPhho3.gifv

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I actually said "Oh gently caress no" out loud when the guy in the white shirt walked underneath the container

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I have the feeling that this isn't quite the correct procedure for this sort of thing.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

8one6 posted:

I have the feeling that this isn't quite the correct procedure for this sort of thing.

Yes, the first truck shouldn't stop with the cab directly under the container. And the guy in the white shirt should be wearing a hard hat.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Probably have a splitting headache
nailed it

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yawgmoth posted:

nailed it

Yep, that hit it right on the head.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
god when his stupid south african rear end finally goes bankrupt its going to be so satisfying

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/juliacarriew/status/985955114706808832

i hope elongated musk is crushed by a forklift entering the pedestrian path that's painted grey over concrete

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I honestly prefer the sound of dying people screaming and the smell of blood.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yep, that hit it right on the head.
You know what they say, when all you have is a hammer...

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Yeah it looks like it only hit the corpus callosum (the hemisphere interconnect) and the fourth ventricle (where cerebrospinal fluid is produced). If he heals without infection or too much blood loss, he’ll be pretty ok. If I had to have a nail that big shot through my skull, that’s p much exactly where I’d put it

Third ventricle, it's nowhere near the fourth.

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd probably pick an oblique angle along the superior sagittal sinus

The superior sagittal sinus is long and thin, how do you go through it obliquely without putting a hole in it? Put a hole in it your stone dead. Even in the middle of surgery it's very serious.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Neutrino posted:

I honestly prefer the sound of dying people screaming and the smell of blood.

You know how people long to recreate childhood memories? What does that mean for someone who grew up owning a South African diamond emerald mine.

duz fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 16, 2018

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dysgenesis posted:

Third ventricle, it's nowhere near the fourth.

The superior sagittal sinus is long and thin, how do you go through it obliquely without putting a hole in it? Put a hole in it your stone dead. Even in the middle of surgery it's very serious.

Then, there's this:

Stabbed in the back of the head to the haft - then the handle broke off. Patient made a full recovery, as the blade missed everything.

From the editorial page of American Journal of Roentgenology (courtesy of my mom, who was the director of the diagnostic imaging library at Temple University Hospital - back when they had one)

The rest of the series:

Fig. 1 is an intersting story of a man in prison who, on dares from other inmates, would hammer finishing nails into his head. He did this many, many times before he abcessed & died.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Definitely real

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
That's just IKEA working on flat packing a car.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That's dreadful.

I mean, the photoshop. The car isn't even being lifted from the point it looks like it's compressed at.

And there would definitely still be glass in the rear-quarter window of a car that has suffered that much body deformation :rolleyes:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

duz posted:

You know how people long to recreate childhood memories? What does that mean for someone who grew up owning a South African diamond emerald mine.

Pretty sure the plant under Tesla has a lower injury rate than it did under Toyota or GM

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EKDS5k posted:

Pretty sure the plant under Tesla has a lower injury rate than it did under Toyota or GM

you're goddamn right if there were no safety markings i'd never leave the lobby

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

EKDS5k posted:

One big reason that Tesla is in the news this time is because they were under-reporting injury rates.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tesla is run by elon musk right? he's an awful businessman and pretty much everyone working for him in a higher up position is squirreling all the money they can away and doing piss poor work so it's not surprising they'd under report

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Perfect timing. This was posted in cspam

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in further tesla news

https://twitter.com/PunchingOutWAYO/status/985892975438848001

Concerned about bone-crunching collisions and the lack of clearly marked pedestrian lanes at the Fremont, California, plant, the general assembly line’s then-lead safety professional went to her boss, who she said told her, “Elon does not like the color yellow.”

Under fire for mounting injuries, Tesla recently touted a sharp drop in its injury rate for 2017, which it says came down to meet the auto industry average of about 6.2 injuries per 100 workers.

But things are not always as they seem at Tesla. An investigation by Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting found that Tesla has failed to report some of its serious injuries on legally mandated reports, making the company’s injury numbers look better than they actually are.

“Everything took a back seat to production,” White said. “It’s just a matter of time before somebody gets killed.”

Tesla, worth about $50 billion, employs more than 10,000 workers at its Fremont factory. Alongside the company’s remarkable rise, workers have been sliced by machinery, crushed by forklifts, burned in electrical explosions and sprayed with molten metal. Tesla recorded 722 injuries last year, about two a day. The rate of serious injuries, requiring time off or a work restriction, was 30 percent worse than the previous year’s industry average.

And in addition to yellow, Musk was said to dislike too many signs in the factory and the warning beeps forklifts make when backing up, former team members said. His preferences, they said, were well known and led to cutting back on those standard safety signals.

“If someone said, ‘Elon doesn’t like something,’ you were concerned because you could lose your job,” said Susan Rigmaiden, former environmental compliance manager.

In her March 2017 resignation letter, White recounted the time she told her boss, Seth Woody, “that the plant layout was extremely dangerous to pedestrians.” Woody, head of the safety team, told her “that Elon didn’t want signs, anything yellow (like caution tape) or to wear safety shoes in the plant” and acknowledged it “was a mess,” she wrote.

lmao the whole thing is a great read

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

:thermidor:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Jose posted:

Perfect timing. This was posted in cspam

https://twitter.com/juliacarriew/status/985955114706808832

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Jabor posted:

One big reason that Tesla is in the news this time is because they were under-reporting injury rates.

So I was phone posting and hadn't done any actual research beyond thinking hard about some stuff I might have read in the past, and reading the tweets posted in this thread. Now I've just had a chance to actually read the Reveal News article, and if it's accurate that's really concerning. On the one hand, I want to like what Musk is doing with Tesla, ie creating a practical, affordable electric vehicle and also a market so that other companies can follow suit. But on the other, as a guy who works a job with the potential for grievous bodily harm if safety standards get too sloppy, gently caress everyone in a management position who values money/their own comfort over the safety of their workers.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Seriously.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the best is elon musk tesla’s press response showing lotsa pics of the factory floor featuring all the yellow they have... that includes a couple of the grey on grey pedestrian safety path that’s described as extremely dangerous due to lacking yellow demarcation

lol scroll up

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/c1shsSu.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF8OuKXySo8

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If he doesn't like yellow... how about fluoro pink? We use that for some high-visibility applications because it's uncommon, meaning people notice it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ABAB. All Billionaires Are Bastards

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

EKDS5k posted:

On the one hand, I want to like what Musk is doing with Tesla, ie creating a practical, affordable electric vehicle and also a market so that other companies can follow suit. But on the other, as a guy who works a job with the potential for grievous bodily harm if safety standards get too sloppy, gently caress everyone in a management position who values money/their own comfort over the safety of their workers.

don't be a dril tweet. this is unambiguously bad, there is only "one hand" and it's injured

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

hackbunny posted:

don't be a dril tweet. this is unambiguously bad, there is only "one hand" and it's injured

It's perfectly fine to want one of the results without the collateral damage.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the best is elon musk tesla’s press response showing lotsa pics of the factory floor featuring all the yellow they have... that includes a couple of the grey on grey pedestrian safety path that’s described as extremely dangerous due to lacking yellow demarcation

lol scroll up

sorry mate i saw it in my twitter feed and im incapable of object permanence when im tired so i forgot about seeing it here this morning while i was on the train, honest mistake

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

EKDS5k posted:

Pretty sure the plant under Tesla has a lower reported injury rate than it did under Toyota or GM

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

*reported* injury rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My family has worked in manufacturing since the 80s and one of the first things my dad told me before I started working in a plant was that everything can and will kill you.