Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
I feel like if Ted Cruz loses every Republican in Texas is going to have a good cry like loving finally it's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/QuinnipiacPoll/status/987314958516932608

I wouldn't be surprised if were were among the last holdouts when some federal law or ruling legalizes it by fiat though.

Looks like they are going to do a special election for Farenthold's seat
https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/987326287499980801

Should give us a better idea what the voting landscape looks like in the state

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 20, 2018

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/corbettsmithdmn/status/987351002155282432?s=21

Lmao these morons

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

They should have directed him to 9th grade English

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/QuinnipiacPoll/status/987314958516932608

I wouldn't be surprised if were were among the last holdouts when some federal law or ruling legalizes it by fiat though.

Republicans were 43/51/6 and age 65+ were 40/51/8 so how do you think the legislature is gonna read that poll?

I bet they'd legalize it in exchange for slashing the franchise tax though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This little turd

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/987417466027507712

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

FBS posted:

Republicans were 43/51/6 and age 65+ were 40/51/8 so how do you think the legislature is gonna read that poll?

I bet they'd legalize it in exchange for slashing the franchise tax though

Didn’t they already kill the franchise tax (so they could create a spending crisis)?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No they're phasing it out by applying any revenue over X amount to buying it down, but yeah they desperately want to kill it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

He is actually the worst person

Like Stephen Miller levels of bad

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Badger of Basra posted:

Didn’t they already kill the franchise tax (so they could create a spending crisis)?

They cut the rates significantly two sessions ago but left it alone for this biennium.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

No Safe Word posted:

He is actually the worst person

Like Stephen Miller levels of bad

It's so fitting for LaPorte/Baytown/Deer Park :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/987509783602368512

Teach the controversy!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's a fine assignment, so long as the answer is all negatives and no positives. You could engage with kids who list positives and have a class deb-

Nevermind.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's a fine assignment, so long as the answer is all negatives and no positives. You could engage with kids who list positives and have a class deb-

Nevermind.

Look, I oppose the school-to-prison pipeline with every fiber of my being.

But if there was ever a time for it, it's for anyone who makes so much as a mark on the 'positive' side.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In further Texas education news

https://mobile.twitter.com/claireballor/status/987410621678391296

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Nevermind.

Well if it's in the context why did slavery even exist, I could see a legit reason to ask it. But I'm not willing to give southern schools that benefit.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The kid had the right answers though. Positives in the lives of slaves “n/a”. Negatives: everything else.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

(Hot take) Texan schoolboards should be run by progressive-leaning bots.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

It's amazing how immediately hateful all these assholes are, they don't even hesitate anymore.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Seems pretty straightforward:

Positives: The Emancipation Proclaimation, Reconstruction, the victory of the North in the Civil War, Sherman’s March to the Sea

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

It's amazing how immediately hateful all these assholes are, they don't even hesitate anymore.

This is... I don't know what to say here. I know George Clayton. I have worked alongside George Clayton. He's a gay Texas Republican, with all of the baggage and bigotry that you would expect from being in that situation. He's one of the most intelligent and thoughtful people that I know. He is an incredible teacher. I cannot defend his statement here, but I am shocked by this statement that he made. He isn't what you would expect from seeing this single post on Twitter. Obviously he has issues, but all I can say is that I know this man personally and this does not capture his entire character.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

litany of gulps posted:

I know this man personally and this does not capture his entire character.

Well it's now all that anyone who doesn't know of him will ever want to know of him. It may not have been his entire character, but because he couldn't keep mouth shut, no one knows or really will care to know what other potentially fine features he may or may not have. They just know the rancid core of xenophobia and racism at his core.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

This is... I don't know what to say here. I know George Clayton. I have worked alongside George Clayton. He's a gay Texas Republican, with all of the baggage and bigotry that you would expect from being in that situation. He's one of the most intelligent and thoughtful people that I know. He is an incredible teacher. I cannot defend his statement here, but I am shocked by this statement that he made. He isn't what you would expect from seeing this single post on Twitter. Obviously he has issues, but all I can say is that I know this man personally and this does not capture his entire character.

Yeah his Twitter is full of dumbass statements not just one. Nothing about him comes off as intelligent.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Well it's now all that anyone who doesn't know of him will ever want to know of him. It may not have been his entire character, but because he couldn't keep mouth shut, no one knows or really will care to know what other potentially fine features he may or may not have. They just know the rancid core of xenophobia and racism at his core.

Yeah, no one put a gun to this guy's head and made him seek out some minority valedictorian's Twitter to post his racist poo poo on, and apparently he's done to more than one minority student. So gently caress the hell out of him.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yeah his Twitter is full of dumbass statements not just one. Nothing about him comes off as intelligent.

Zwabu posted:

Yeah, no one put a gun to this guy's head and made him seek out some minority valedictorian's Twitter to post his racist poo poo on, and apparently he's done to more than one minority student. So gently caress the hell out of him.

Hey, I get it. I can't really defend him. But people are complicated. His Twitter may be completely insane, and obviously he's got problems. One of the interesting things about SA is the scope and reach. I know this guy. I can only say that he's easily among the most intelligent people that I have ever met. He is clearly an idiot when it comes to racial issues. Make of that what you will. Turn him into a villain from what you read on the internet. That's fine. He obviously is a villain. But villains are complex, and I can at least offer a perspective that informs you about that complexity.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

https://twitter.com/SBOEDist12/status/979369663397269504?s=19

https://twitter.com/SBOEDist12/status/985986731349602306?s=19

https://twitter.com/SBOEDist12/status/841387952722833409?s=19

https://twitter.com/SBOEDist12/status/837351636393725956?s=19

https://twitter.com/SBOEDist12/status/830420165787516928?s=19

Thats just from a merry stroll through the comments and his tweets. I'd say his character is poo poo.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I get it, like I said. All I can say is that I know the man. If you talked with him, you may have walked away with a different perspective. It isn't as easy to interpret as this makes it seem.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It sounds like you don't know the man, only the man he is pretending to be. As soon as he is given a platform to express himself where he isn't subject to the social conditioning of not saying heinous poo poo in front of others, this is how he uses it. That should tell you something.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

It sounds like you don't know the man, only the man he is pretending to be. As soon as he is given a platform to express himself where he isn't subject to the social conditioning of not saying heinous poo poo in front of others, this is how he uses it. That should tell you something.

Frankly, I can see why an old, gay, white, Republican in Texas is a racist. It excuses nothing. It does tell me something, and I'm ashamed for him. But I know that he has taught in classrooms full of people that aren't like him, doing his best to help kids that aren't like him, and I know that he's done a good job.

I have gotten into arguments with him (he was my boss), but the argument was never about anything racial. It was always about the best way to approach teach older kids what matters. He has been on the school board before, but he was never one of the people putting absurd content into the books, he was always one of the people maintaining the integrity of the institution. He clearly has problems, but turning George Clayton into a villain is... a mistake. There are far worse villains here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

He's a bad dude, stop defending him. Sorry that he successfully gaslighted you though.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
You must not know any smart people.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
i dont see how you can argue that having a bigoted man in charge of minority majority public schools is good because of other traits, perceived or otherwise. sounds like a glaring issue to me.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The one takeaway I see is affirmation that people with lovely beliefs can live next door and generally get along with you - and even do some good - as long as certain subjects never come up. Paul Nehlen isn't less of a racist because he's not torching mosques every night, and the Austin mailbomber (which I can speak about on some level because I live here) reportedly did some okay things in his life before he terrorized a city. Evil shouldn't be normalized and it shouldn't lead to paranoia, but it's important to accept that it can be in ostensibly unlikely people who don't twirl their mustache.

If I'd worked with him for years and had witnessed him generally doing good things, I'd be a little less hostile in confronting him. I'd also be furious with him and would be wondering if I had missed something in the daily grind (possible I didn't, but worth an inventory).

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

No Safe Word posted:

He's a bad dude, stop defending him. Sorry that he successfully gaslighted you though.

No. You don't get it. He is a bad dude. But I won't stop defending him, because the superficial portrayal of him doesn't really explain who he is. People are complicated. gently caress you.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

litany of gulps posted:

No. You don't get it. He is a bad dude. But I won't stop defending him, because the superficial portrayal of him doesn't really explain who he is. People are complicated. gently caress you.
This man gets things.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

You're making it sound like the "superficial portrayal" he's being criticized for is based on a hit-piece news article about him rather than the bigoted things he is personally posting on his public social media account.

I mean people can have many facets, but I'm criticizing this particular one, which is 'imply to students of color celebrating their admission into a good college that they didn't actually earn it'. Just because he's done good things doesn't change the fact he is maliciously and deliberately attacking minority students.

Why are you dying on this specific hill? Why do you care so much that we're calling a guy an rear end when he's proudly showing it to the world? If he believes so much in the "integrity of the institution", he could not be a racist piece of poo poo (or as you put it, "have problems"). And I'm going to go a step further and say, how can you be certain that he's done a good job teaching minority classrooms? If he's going to ask random kids on twitter whether or not they got into a good college based on 'merit or quota', I'm going to assume that carries over into his classroom demeanor. And I'm also going to assume the person you know isn't the person his students know.

gently caress him, and gently caress you for trying to defend him. I hope he never gets a job again, and any positions he's held get filled with someone who believes in the "integrity of the institution" and is also not a raging bigot.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 22, 2018

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

litany of gulps posted:

The "portrayal" is coming from the words of the man himself you weirdo.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Asking if they got in because of AA is incredibly rude, but a big part of that is because it’s incredibly likely that they did, in fact, get in because of AA. Asking Trump at a social event if he’s cheated on his wife lately would be rude as well.

What I’m saying is this dude is an rear end in a top hat, but not for the reasons you think.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Are you that girl from my home town that sued UT for not letting her in and somehow got all the way to the Supreme Court? Which later they revealed that her average grades were just average and minorities with better grades than her weren't accepted to UT either.

Or are you the 75 year old lady in my neighborhood screaming about Muslims and then posting on Nextdoor why no one will come do her landscaping for $10 an hour in the middle of July?