Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Did not add techies to cm, but still made games longer. Pissing off everyone. Amazingly done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Is it the increased shrine hp and regen that's got folks thinking this way? Or the fact that buildings don't pay out as if they are significant game state changes?

Seems like a good experiment to me but lol if I actually play this game anymore.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 13, 2018

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Why is this meta so goddamn mean?

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
pronounced ayy jis

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

strong bird posted:

Techies should be in a unique position where it's removed from the game immediately

Same, but PUDGE. I'm so loving tired of that guy on my pubs

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

baby delivery truck posted:

pronounced ayy jis

https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/984763351715762176

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

You're not wrong, and Icefrog definitely is, but that's the actual in game text.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
it's more that webster did that right after the patch

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Not gonna lie, I didn't see the date and thought it was dredged. That's awesome.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

nothing makes you feel as ready to go to TI as when you make a sick HotD player

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

it's a good thing valve is making dota 2 worse and worse every patch. this way i get to live my life and do other things. if the game had just stayed in the balance state it was in 2012-2014 i probably would've just spent the rest of my life playing the game but thankfully it isn't

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Minorkos posted:

it's a good thing valve is making dota 2 worse and worse every patch. this way i get to live my life and do other things. if the game had just stayed in the balance state it was in 2012-2014 i probably would've just spent the rest of my life playing the game but thankfully it isn't

My life has improved so much ever since v6.78. Thank you, Gaben :unsmith:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Minorkos posted:

That was a really boring time and ur wrong op

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Minorkos posted:

It's kinda insane how much time I used to spend playing dota 2

thanks valve

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Troll sniper is coming back baby

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Thom and the Heads posted:

That was a really boring time and ur wrong op

SHUT UP IDIOT

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The other day a memory flashed through my mind of the ancient days when ppl would go armlet dagon terrorblade and assassinate people from the trees.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm confused why Valve would introduce the medals system and then leave it completely unclear how it works. If I lose 10 games and then win 10 games right afterwards sometimes I get a medal upgrade.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The medal system is just a way to obfuscate MMR so peoples’ anxiety doesn’t stop them from queueing tryhard mode.

The “floor” of each tier
Herald - 0
Guardian - 780
Crusader - 1560
Archon - 2370
Legend - 3150
Ancient - 3930
Divine - 4710

If you’re approaching those MMR floors, you’re going to be close to getting a new medal. Not all games are +/- 25 MMR so lose10 win10 could be a net positive.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Why is there still a spot for MMR, but it just says solo : ----, team : ----

I got some people very angry at me when I kept saying i'm sorry i'm bad, as soon as i'm ranked you'll never have to see me again, and they kept saying I was ranked, and i'm doing this on purpose, report krinkle etc, etc, etc.

But I kept checking my page and it kept saying "----" like here is where the numbers will go, when you get them. But apparently I have a badge that makes everyone in archon mad at me because I don't know how to play anymore.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
it still has your old MMR in your stats panel.

i stopped p[laying for a long time and upon return my mmr has dropped precipitously after years of casually hanging around 3.5 while i play drunk and without any attempt to learn nor improve.

i did however play a game last night where i roleplayed Viper in voice chat with my best viper voice impression (while playing viper) for the whole game improving poison-related lines and had a really good time and we won which owned

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i thihnk my favorite thing to do in dota is to fully rp with the voice, lore, and wc3 hero names

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Playing as Skeleton King and yelling constantly at everyone calling them peasants as we won is one of my fondest Dota memories

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Smythe posted:

i thihnk my favorite thing to do in dota is to fully rp with the voice, lore, and wc3 hero names

Slacks? Has it been you all along?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

ILL Machina posted:

His bigfoot video was one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ILL Machina posted:

I am way more oldschool than slacks smdh

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Whatever happened to rickonix?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If someone on your team has a twitch url as their steam name they're 100% going to be a dickbag.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I played with the hon chick what's her miss something who did the voice packs a d also the guy with the dreads zaiori or something once those are my dota celeb sightings.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Smythe posted:

I played with the hon chick what's her miss something who did the voice packs a d also the guy with the dreads zaiori or something once those are my dota celeb sightings.

MsPudding, she also narrated their champion spotlight videos which is where I remember her

its a shame hon is pretty much dead, some of the new heroes are cool like a tiki man who plays like singed except he can toggle between burning mana/regen health and burn health/regen mana

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

MsPudding, she also narrated their champion spotlight videos which is where I remember her

its a shame hon is pretty much dead, some of the new heroes are cool like a tiki man who plays like singed except he can toggle between burning mana/regen health and burn health/regen mana

hon had the best heroes esp deadwood, flux, puppetmaster, amun ra, etc. also maliken is way sicker than dk

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Smythe posted:

hon had the best heroes esp deadwood, flux, puppetmaster, amun ra, etc. also maliken is way sicker than dk

I played HoN before dota and I had no clue how to command attack, so whenever I tried to play maliken and use his ult I'd just be walking around frantically trying to click the feared enemies before it wore off(fear in HoN makes people run slightly faster and go in random directions for the duration, instead of just in a straight line towards their base)

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
How is HoN doing nowadays? I never played it but am curious about it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lobster22221 posted:

How is HoN doing nowadays? I never played it but am curious about it.

S2 sold it to Garena IIRC. Basically dead everywhere but SEA

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Kild posted:

S2 sold it to Garena IIRC. Basically dead everywhere but SEA

Oh.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's apparently still getting content updates, although the website is hilariously out of date (it's promoting a teaser of a hero released in december '17), they apparently released a hero spotlight 2 days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeFQNyYo5jY&hd=1

If you're playing dota 2 then you're probably used to the majority of players yelling Cyrillic at you, so if you want to play hon you can just use your experience from that to communicate with SEA players.

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
Played AD for the first time in a long while, there seems to be a lot more variety in the synergies and I'm wondering how these new skills rank: Infernal Blade, Swashbuckler, Rolling Thunder, Sleight of Fist. I feel like Swashbuckler/Sleight of Fist are definitely first round picks, with Swashbuckler being a viable first pick.

We got demolished today by someone grabbing Rolling Thunder+Sleight. Every Sleight caused stun while the dude was rolling. The next game, we get crushed to a Swashbuckler+Headshot. I thought we would be okay since our first position grabbed tidebringer as first pick, but after that game, maybe Swashbuckler is better than tidebringer?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you see an opportunity to get Power Cogs and Rolling Thunder you should jump on that ASAP.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Sticky napalm + shackles remains one of, if not the most broken combos in AD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church

Neurolimal posted:

If you see an opportunity to get Power Cogs and Rolling Thunder you should jump on that ASAP.

I have never thought about that but it sounds so amazing/ridiculous!

Super Rad posted:

Sticky napalm + shackles remains one of, if not the most broken combos in AD

It's great, but people will usually block cuz it's been around for a while. Also, I've seen people get sticky napalm/ion shell/rot/rocket barrage/etc... but it seems like the sticky napalm builds fall off once the game goes on for a bit. I'm looking for newer combos that have come about due to talents/aghs upgrades. I recently had an amazing build with marksmanship and burning spears. It was okay at first, but with an aghs scepter, you bounce burning spears to every target. It becomes murderous in team fights.