Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

jeez this is why melee combat is lovely in nearly every major game, because of schmucks like you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

jeez this is why melee combat is lovely in nearly every major game, because of schmucks like you

That's why the original Ys and Hylide were the best games. You didn't even need to press a button to attack.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Having to play with randoms was one of the best things about the Souls games and they should have never pussed out and let you play with friends. If anything they should have made it harder to cheese into finding your buddies.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Thats dumb

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nah. It was a cool choice in direction that caused all sorts of interesting and unpredictable player interaction without breaking the immersion of a single player game. Developers caving to gamers whims is largely why video games are mostly homogenized artless crap.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nah foisting strangers on someone for pve is dumb. The invasion mechanic is great but having no option to play with friends isnt a fuckin feature lol

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Early Dark Souls Co-op was fine, if you wanted to play with a particular friend you just had to drop your summon sign in an unorthodox location and tell them where. 99% of summon signs were consistently either right next to a bonfire or before a boss fog wall, anything outside of that would almost certainly never be touched.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Why would you play video games with people you know when you could play with each other's genitals instead?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Valve need to pull their heads out of their asses and formally declare themselves digital games merchants.

No more Steam Boxes or SteamOS. No more E-Sports garbage. No more pretending they will ever be serious about making new games or game engines. No more trying to live up to their own reputation. "We do Steam and that is it."

It's stupid and :goonsay: to give a gently caress about a Tech company like this, but their total pretension about "branching out" with hardware and otherwise resting on their laurels from Portal 2 seven goddamn years ago is really *really* irritating.

I'm not a fan of UbiSoft at all, but do you know why I respect them? They're loving honest about who they are and what they're doing.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

steam box/os was to prove to microsoft they could and would wound the viability of the PC market. Microsoft was toying with the idea of making Windows 10 their forray into a closed ecosystem, to push steam/valve and other competitors out of the software sales market on their home turf.

so, it was necessary, as merchants, to basically waste a fuckload of money to demonstrate how easy it would be for Valve to sunder the PC market over night.

Even though nobody bought steam boxes, as a proof of concept it works, and people would probably go for it if the other choice was buying apps from some lovely broken microsoft store.

At first it would be no big deal but microsoft would make windows a lovely poisonous ecosystem probably not unlike their xbox.

Nobody loving needs or wants that and keeping microsoft on their toes was a good idea.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That is very interesting and something I did not know. I feel most of my points stand, but that does add context to those overpriced garbage boxes they 'sold.'

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

mind the walrus posted:

That is very interesting and something I did not know. I feel most of my points stand, but that does add context to those overpriced garbage boxes they 'sold.'

I don't really care what valve calls itself. There's more games than ever and who cares about whether valve is adding to that?

Meck Pomses
Jan 7, 2011

I QUESTIONED BUYING AN AVATAR WHEN I GET A FREE "STUPID NEWBIE" ONE WHEN REGISTERING SO SOMEONE GAVE ME FANART OF BIG BOSS DRESSED AS BAYONETTA DRAWN BY N ARTIST WHO TRIED TO MAKE A COLLABORATIVE BBW FIGHTING GAME FOR MY AVATAR OUT OF SPITE
I like keycard puzzles and switch hunts in FPS games. They allow for more non-linear, but still focussed level design. Because you have to search for a key and then return to the locked door, the layout can provide multiple paths between areas. Without key or switch objectives every level boils down to "walk forward until you reach the exit", which is boring.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

basic hitler posted:

Even though nobody bought steam boxes, as a proof of concept it works, and people would probably go for it if the other choice was buying apps from some lovely broken microsoft store.

Have you ever used Steam OS? It doesn't work, and won't ever work if devs never make their games work on it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Caufman posted:

Why would you play video games with people you know when you could play with each other's genitals instead?

Why can't you do both

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

controls for modern video games are super weird

dark souls games feel like you're controlling a character, even through the animation locks

uncharted and asscreed games feel like you're controlling a mid budget action film

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Caufman posted:

Finally, somebody starts making sense in this damned thread.

THANK YOU.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

It wouldn't be all that wrong to slaughter all gamers

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Fartbox posted:

How is this an unpopular opinion?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Only half an hour in but god of war seems REALLY loving generic and boring. Gorgeous visually, though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Fartbox posted:

I'll admit, I was gonna disagree but I checked gamefaqs about this and you're right

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

controls for modern video games are super weird

dark souls games feel like you're controlling a character, even through the animation locks

uncharted and asscreed games feel like you're controlling a mid budget action film

I've always looked at it as automatic vs manual controls. Modern games look flashy and have all sorts of failsafes in place so you don't do stupid poo poo and die in ways you would in old games. In dark Souls one step in the wrong direction near a cliff and you are gonna fall to your death. Most games you'll just hit and invisible wall if you try to run off a cliff. That philosophy transfers into stuff like combat and exploration in both styles of games too.

I think that's part of why older games/souls feel more engaging in some ways. You always had to think about had you were doing a little bit even if it was just making sure you weren't gonna fall. You can play most modern games in a state of total lethargy, which isn't bad, but costs player investment.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Caufman posted:

Because premature ejection from videogames means i dont have to talk to you anymore.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I've always looked at it as automatic vs manual controls. Modern games look flashy and have all sorts of failsafes in place so you don't do stupid poo poo and die in ways you would in old games. In dark Souls one step in the wrong direction near a cliff and you are gonna fall to your death. Most games you'll just hit and invisible wall if you try to run off a cliff. That philosophy transfers into stuff like combat and exploration in both styles of games too.

In any game there's a level of "automatic" because close to full manual control is in stuff like QWOP, and that is terrible. The goal for controls should be to provide desirable options for the player with a control scheme that easily translates the player's intentions into the player character's actions. Alongside that, there's an easy way to reconcile the "invisible wall" problem and it's to use level design that intentionally does not visually include options that the player will not be allowed to pursue.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

signalnoise posted:

In any game there's a level of "automatic" because close to full manual control is in stuff like QWOP, and that is terrible. The goal for controls should be to provide desirable options for the player with a control scheme that easily translates the player's intentions into the player character's actions. Alongside that, there's an easy way to reconcile the "invisible wall" problem and it's to use level design that intentionally does not visually include options that the player will not be allowed to pursue.

Kotaku had an interwsting article about invisible ways designers help players. I think in Bioshock the first shot at you always missed, or something like that so you have an audio cue to start hustling. I noticed that Titanfall 2 has a ton of aim assist on normal difficulty with no messing of the settings. It's almost too much hand holding versus the invisible hand.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

signalnoise posted:

That's not really what I meant. In game type A you can press a button and predict the outcome 100%. Pressing buttons wrong means you lose. Hitting an attack button means you will do a specific attack, walking off a cliff means walking off a cliff. Game type B has an entire system that is beyond the players control to keep the game moving and looking stylish. They are both fine approaches to games design but YMMV depending on what you like.

Oscar Wild posted:

Kotaku had an interwsting article about invisible ways designers help players. I think in Bioshock the first shot at you always missed, or something like that so you have an audio cue to start hustling. I noticed that Titanfall 2 has a ton of aim assist on normal difficulty with no messing of the settings. It's almost too much hand holding versus the invisible hand.

Titanfall 2 is a weird one because they turn off the incredibly generous aim assist for multiplayer. So, while the SP is great, it sort of does a bad job of preparing you for MP.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 22, 2018

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

That's not really what I meant. In game type A you can press a button and predict the outcome 100%. Pressing buttons wrong means you lose. Hitting an attack button means you will do a specific attack, walking off a cliff means walking off a cliff. Game type B has an entire system that is beyond the players control to keep the game moving and looking stylish. They are both fine approaches to games design but YMMV depending on what you like.

I think both extremes can be okay depending on the game but generally speaking I'd get a balance, because stylish animation doesn't require a lack of control.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the steam link and steam controller both fuckin own

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Steam controller is the best poo poo ever.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I have yet to hit a stride in calibrating the drat right circle well-enough to compensate for a mouse/second analog stick. If I can get it to that level the controller will be close to perfect.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The steam controller owned for the level of per game customization it could do but as soon as steam allowed the same kind of customization for xbox controllers I had no use for it anymore.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think the steam controller sucks. Maybe not as like a universal principle but I tried it once and it just wasn’t doing it for me.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The steam controller let me play Medieval 2 Total War on a couch on a 70 inch screen without an awkward mouse+kb setup, so yeah I agree, it's good

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

veni veni veni posted:

Titanfall 2 is a weird one because they turn off the incredibly generous aim assist for multiplayer. So, while the SP is great, it sort of does a bad job of preparing you for MP.

tf2 does other poo poo in multiplayer though, like one volley from most groups of enemy minions won't kill you outright - even reapers usually leave you dazed at almost zero health. they're more to provide dynamic targets and force players to keep engaging with the game rather than just camp around and they're the best idea ever and i wish more games had them

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Against other players. The aim assist is like 4x as strong in the campaign than it is against other people. Although even against other players it's pretty strong. Which is fine because the shooting feels so drat good in that game.

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
Perfect Dark is superior to Goldeneye in EVERY single way, including swag

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What’s so good about the steam controller

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

Vegetable posted:

I would get one if I wasn't poor

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Vegetable posted:

If you take the time to customize it till it feels right it can do just about anything. Using the gyro (motion controls) to fine tune your aim is great for couch shooters. I even use the gyro as a steering wheel for racing sims in a bean bag chair. The thing is really easy to configure, even for old keyboard only games.

It's awkward at first but if you take the time to get used to it and set up sensitivity and stuff to your liking it's amazing. I can't video games without it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alan 00X posted:

Perfect Dark is superior to Goldeneye in EVERY single way, including swag

TImesplitters is superior to Perfect Dark in EVERY single way, especially this guy: