Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

everyone should start with an ump, and also every should start on the ground on a motorcycle which cannot be dismounted. also all games are now duos (1 motorcycle) but you can swap places by doing the donkey kong country swap places slap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Did you not read this update about the level 3 helmets? Where they said they "don't want who wins to be down to luck alone"? or the recent interview where he said anyone who dies to the red zone is not a good player?

...but your example has nothing to do with winning being "down to luck alone". That they are reducing the influence of luck on the outcome of the game does not mean it must have no impact at all.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

cargohills posted:

...but your example has nothing to do with winning being "down to luck alone". That they are reducing the influence of luck on the outcome of the game does not mean it must have no impact at all.
it’s a long way down eliminating luck, which obviously mist be done before this game can be taken seriously. I suggest the following changes be made

-no items
-fox only
-final destination :reject:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

cargohills posted:

So if two people land next to each other and one gets a gun, that's not luck? Especially if the weapons spawn AFTER they land. That seems like luck to me. As in, a huge part of this game is luck/rng so why they're saying they want to get rid of luck being a thing seems pretty stupid. One guy goes to a building and gets a kar98 and an 8x, another goes to a building and only gets a pistol, that's not luck?

A lot of this game is luck is what I'm saying. And trying to eliminate it by getting rid of level 3 helmets seems like some really faulty leaps of logic.

revolther
May 27, 2008
An element of something being somewhat or even truly random has nothing to do with luck.

Luck is the misunderstanding of probability taken personally.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

So if two people land next to each other and one gets a gun, that's not luck? Especially if the weapons spawn AFTER they land. That seems like luck to me. As in, a huge part of this game is luck/rng so why they're saying they want to get rid of luck being a thing seems pretty stupid. One guy goes to a building and gets a kar98 and an 8x, another goes to a building and only gets a pistol, that's not luck?

A lot of this game is luck is what I'm saying. And trying to eliminate it by getting rid of level 3 helmets seems like some really faulty leaps of logic.

I think the counterargument here is that choosing to land directly next to hostile players is a calculated risk, not random luck. You are playing chicken with them to see who gets a real gun and aggressively pushes the other player first. It's also not a game anyone has to play and there are tactical ways to exit or avoid that situation at any point in time right up until you get killed. The pistol guy who gets his dome blown off trying to pop the guy with the Kar98 in a second floor window didn't die because he was unlucky. A lot of PUBG is about smartly navigating the conditions that are dealt to you, rather than other games where everyone is given essentially same conditions and victory comes down to whoever has the tightest execution. The conditions are random but smart players will always tend to get better results.

The level 3 helmets being only in crates is a similar situation. Currently you can stumble onto a level 3 helmet almost anywhere, but in this potential change you will have to make a deliberate decision to secure one, and take the risk of crate chasing to do so. It's arguable that there is still a lot of "luck" involved in being close to a crate when it lands or not having competition for its contents, but it's a lot less random than just finding one on the floor somewhere. Better players who make smarter proactive decisions will end up with level 3 helmets more often than those who do not.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 22, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
okay unironically if you're dying to red zone you're either a really bad player or insanely unlucky

just get in a loving house and wait it out, jesus

e: also "you can get one almost anywhere" loving lol are you kidding me, there's usually a single-digit number of lv3 helmets on the entire map outside of packages

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I still often seem to manage getting one shot headshot 360 sniped even with a L3 helmet on so what does it matter. I don't even seriously worry about what tier gear I have most rounds. Just run with whatever and hopefully shoot mans before they shoot me.

I've dumped like 500 hours in over a year and am still terrible though so what do I know.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Yeah this feels like a weird change requested by...I'm not even sure who?

Slippery slope too because the KAR is easily the best secondary gun in the game and if everyone except the select few are ohk it's going to turn into a mess

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
one time I was driving through a redzone and I got blown up it made me laugh

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Putting the peak defensive and offensive items in one spot seems like an astoundingly bad idea

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Make Kar crate only. Drop more crates.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Just watch, instead of rolling back the l3-crate-only thing they're instead going to make the kar98 not knock someone in a L2 helmet.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

is there a thread on this forum for people who like the game?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Kar is a lot less effective when players don't stand still at all. If you have to shoot a moving player, then both the mini and the sks(or an m416... There is a reason some players will run two M416s, one with a scope and silencer and one with a comp and red dot) are better for that.

Also once you are down to the top 10-20, those players tend to be the better players and so will likely not be standing still like idiots.... Sometimes anyways.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes giving the poo poo guns mods you can't harvest would change them up without fooling with their dps, I think that's a great idea. The VSS is already a very extreme example of this.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yes giving the poo poo guns mods you can't harvest would change them up without fooling with their dps, I think that's a great idea. The VSS is already a very extreme example of this.

On the other hand the VSS owns.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The best VSS is a fully kitted Vector.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

okay unironically if you're dying to red zone you're either a really bad player or insanely unlucky

just get in a loving house and wait it out, jesus

e: also "you can get one almost anywhere" loving lol are you kidding me, there's usually a single-digit number of lv3 helmets on the entire map outside of packages

While I agree with the second part of your post, the first part is amazingly wrong.

If dying to red zones makes you a bad player, I guess shroud is just a bad player.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Even as the #1 Vektor-lover in the thread, I will never run the Vektor again if the Helmet 3 change goes through with no headshot breakpoints altered. It's a good gun, but you can't run it with a Kar98 and being able to oneshot 90% of the players instead of 50% is massive.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

is there a thread on this forum for people who like the game?

People act like lvl 3 helmets and kar98 headshots is what made them like the game in the first place.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rubberduke posted:

People act like lvl 3 helmets and kar98 headshots is what made them like the game in the first place.

There's no reason I can see to limit there to being, at most, 5 level 3 helmets in a game, and that's if every single crate drop is accessible and each has a helmet in it. Like, am I just playing a different game than everyone else and there just were too many level 3 helmets? Too few Kar98 oneshots? It just seems to be a change that came out of nowhere and cannot have a positive impact on the game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accretionist posted:

I don't understand why so many people suicide via blue for no reason

Drinking?

I queued to one of those 8-man event modes and literally half my team died to the first blue zone. They looted the Mansion, then moved to Yasnaya and spent at least a solid minute after the first blue zone closed looting it. One of the randoms and I had a buggy and 3-person bike and we were trying to get them to move. We managed to get two people out of the blue and the other four refused to enter our vehicles and instead went on to looting. The safe zone wasn't exactly close to them. A while later they died running.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The new 8 man mode rules. All my friends can finally get into same squad and the games are crazy loot fests. We drop to military base and get four flares, then people argue who gets to carry the double AWM... Hopefully this 8 man mode will return some day.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

L3 Helmets can spawn anywhere. I didn't say you can pluck one off the helmet tree every game. They are obviously rare (though it is curious that you can reliably observe them become concentrated in the hands of the surviving players as the game reaches the final circles).

I don't even particularly have a strong opinion on whether it will be a positive change or not. They have an apparent desire to reduce the role of RNG in combat outcomes and this seems consistent with that goal.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This is just plain wrong. Military Base alone will usually have 3-4, sometimes more.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
The thing with random spawn Lvl3s is that you can eventually get one by just looting more, including by looting people you murder. If you're just never in the vicinity of a drop then there isn't anything you can really do. It's not like you can just drive to where the plane will eventually drop one, it might always drop 2KM away until the last crate drops and everyone's geared up and waiting to murder whoever goes for it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

y'all are some whiney fuckers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all the complains lately have been valid.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

You know there's a middle ground between "luck has zero influence on this game" and "the winner is literally chosen out of a hat", right?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

cargohills posted:

You know there's a middle ground between "luck has zero influence on this game" and "the winner is literally chosen out of a hat", right?

Wasn't that exactly the point of the post you're replying to?

I for one am happy about the gun rebalancing, at leat. I never even pick up the Aug unless I didn't find an m416 yet.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
pubg is dead, get your practice in the newest BR game before everyone gets good

http://www.surviv.io/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

If dying to red zones makes you a bad player, I guess shroud is just a bad player.

I'm willing to concede that he might just be getting hilariously unlucky but I'm a loving awful player and red zone has never killed me

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I never hid until one day, I randomly exploded.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Helmet change is good, embrace the Kar.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This isn't Radical Heights.

Vaah fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 22, 2018

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

can you imagine if PUBG had random maps

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Real talk, a lot of the pros/streamers stopped using the KAR because there are so many down sides to it. I wonder if they could have tried dropping the spawn percentage down drastically before eliminating it from the spawn table completely first. I mean, if people are actively turning down a KAR to run dual M4s it tells you something, doesn’t it? It’s been easier to double headshot someone with a scoped M4 than to KAR them once because of bullet velocity and drop.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

Real talk, a lot of the pros/streamers stopped using the KAR because there are so many down sides to it. I wonder if they could have tried dropping the spawn percentage down drastically before eliminating it from the spawn table completely first. I mean, if people are actively turning down a KAR to run dual M4s it tells you something, doesn’t it? It’s been easier to double headshot someone with a scoped M4 than to KAR them once because of bullet velocity and drop.

Maybe it's good that the Kar98 isn't objectively the best non-crate weapon. If bluehole really wants to balance weapons they shouldn't make the Kar a must-have in every loadout.

The logic behind the helmet change makes no sense. A lvl3 is too powerful to be gained through random chance. The same can be said for the kar if there is a shortage of those lvl3s on the map. Loot RNG can grant you a Kar but won't grant you the defence.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
You don't have to do anything special to put a L3 helmet to use beyond get shot in the head. Landing Kar headshots conversely is not trivial for most people.

They're okay with letting people randomly find the gun that requires some skill to use, and less okay with letting people randomly find the helmet that Just Works, that doesn't seem inconsistent to me.