Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

Machine world is obviously only useful for machines, better to go with Gaia, or possibly Gaia-or-machine-depending-on-who-finds-it. Science nexus should go to Vultaum, IMO, since their whole deal was that they studied the world and decided that they were living in a sim. Irassians don't really scream anything other than social research from the remains of their society, so I'd give them a Dyson sphere just to round things out.

A ruined dyson sphere would make it even better than a ringworld. Thats a 210k mineral savings by restoring it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
My last few games have been prematurely terminated by a dodgy event or something that causes a hard crash on a given date that can't be worked around. Looking at the error log it looks like something tried to divide by zero. Is this likely to be a mod or a base game crash? I'm using NSC2, UI overhaul and Beautiful Universe.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I really HATE how I cannot tell my sectors to have a pop on the loving Cryto-Revitalization Center or any other unity generating buildings, and there is no sector setting for it! Its so bad that I am going to look for a mod that removes sectors and the core planet cap because this is super tacky, to me, when I am playing a Unity-focused game.

YES

Yeah, not being able to, like, lock pops in place on specific buildings is bad design when there's certain necessities like the CR building.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

McSpanky posted:

What will be, was.

What was, will be.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sloober posted:

A ruined dyson sphere would make it even better than a ringworld. Thats a 210k mineral savings by restoring it

I lucked into a ruined dyson sphere once.

Proceeded to never worry about power ever again.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

If you steal a system where a Dyson sphere is being restored, will it cancel?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

iospace posted:

What was, will be.
I just got this event for the first time in like 300 hours and got this kinda good, but not particularly great at the moment(gotta work on happiness for my pops) energy building that seems like a stronger energy nexus with drawbacks. Does that event chain have various end states, or does it always end at that assuming you don't end it earlier?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It does have multiple end points.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
As if to answer my own question, I booted up stellaris and it immediately continues on into something else involving a temple.

Bloodly posted:

It does have multiple end points.

I see this now :v:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

If you steal a system where a Dyson sphere is being restored, will it cancel?

Nope! At least it doesn't you grab one where a megastructure is being built, as long as it's not the base, as that requires the construction ship to be sitting there.

Also I haven't gotten the Worm quest since a game in one of the 1.x patches. :( It was so weird I thought it was added in a mod.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Why does everybody love the Cybrex homeworld so much? As near as I can tell it's just a ruined ringworld spawn, which isn't all that big a deal.

I think i've seen maybe 1 ruined ringworld spawn in like 600 hours. Got Cybrex like twice though!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The tale of Gekkan Admiral Ramon Martinez

Ramon began life early, leading a small Gekkan fleet of six Interceptors against the Cultists who had set up shop around the Force of Gekkan homeworld, after his predecessor had died in their very first engagement. He lead them to victory, eventually tracking down and eliminating the cultist leader, absorbing their cruiser into his own fleet and making it his flagship as a statement. Discovering an abandoned alien shipyard, he had three new ships constructed and added to his now pretty varied fleet. Explorers discovered automated mining drones were absolutely infesting the space to the east and west of the Gekkan homeworlds, and he set to work eliminating them all, losing nary a ship in the process. While this happened, the Worm-In-Waiting contacted his empire and many scientists vanished. He was called to deal with an enemy contact near the homeworlds, and when he arrived, he found he was facing an older version of himself! He asked his doppleganger to surrender, but it was not to be, and he was forced to destroy his elder clone. This harrowed him, knowing what his future might hold for him. He was already known as "Gale-Swift Ramon", whose fleets could cross all of the Force of Gekkan territories in barely any time, but after this fateful encounter, his speed increased even more somehow, triple that of an average ship. He ordered his ships painted uniformly red, perhaps as a superstitious belief, and his fleet renamed the Crimson Meteor in his honor. Age encroaching upon him, the oligarchs on Anathuria felt that it was time for new blood to take command, and for him to bring his expertise back home to inspire the Gekkan community. They chose him to become the new leader for his remaining time, defying his portentous death at his own younger self's hands. Him, being a champion of his people, brought good cheer and happiness to the colonists across the stars for the rest of his days. He declared that Gekkans deserved to rule the stars, and sent them out with renewed vigor to take control of the outer systems. And so ends Ramon Martinez's fleeting, but fulfilling, life.

:patriot:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I can never take those aliens seriously :3:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Black Pants posted:

Nope! At least it doesn't you grab one where a megastructure is being built, as long as it's not the base, as that requires the construction ship to be sitting there.

Also I haven't gotten the Worm quest since a game in one of the 1.x patches. :( It was so weird I thought it was added in a mod.

To get the worm quest, move in and out of a black hole system until it triggers. You need to move a few jumps away, since the game records what the last system a science ship entered was specifically to keep you from triggering it by leaving and reentering but that's not a big deal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Synthbuttrange posted:

I can never take those aliens seriously :3:
One previous run was ended by a devouring swarm(or was it fanatical purifiers, one of the crazies that annihilate everyone) that was those little guys. :3:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is it the Worm quest that involves a planet of yours somehow gaining more population than could be accounted for, where the people actually on the planet basically don't know what you're talking about when told they didn't have neighbours yesterday?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Black Pants posted:

Is it the Worm quest that involves a planet of yours somehow gaining more population than could be accounted for, where the people actually on the planet basically don't know what you're talking about when told they didn't have neighbours yesterday?

GRAVITY IS DESIRE

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to say that I bought this came when it first came out and just couldn't get into it. I tried playing a few other iterations and just couldn't stick with it. I gave it shot shot this week with the apocalypse changes, and am finding it so much more enjoyable. Just the fact that I can claim sectors strategically at choke points and set up a decent defense/cut off a section of space for myself is a huge improvement. Also resource generation/use seems a lot more balanced too. It just feels like I have more control of the game, and am less at the mercy of rng when the galaxy spawns. I am excited to finally give this game a go.

I am struggling to raise my naval capacity in this new version of the game. Is there anything I can do to raise this aside from wait for the right techs to appear or pick that 1 ascension perk? I have 11 starbases up, but even with anchorages, that's only an additional 44. Basically I am sitting on a pile of minerals and energy, but have a naval capacity of under 90. My fleet capacity alone is 70.

Should I just say, screw the cap, and build until the penalty is too high for me to continue? I ask because I have some space mongols on my border that are just begging for payback.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

BigRoman posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to say that I bought this came when it first came out and just couldn't get into it. I tried playing a few other iterations and just couldn't stick with it. I gave it shot shot this week with the apocalypse changes, and am finding it so much more enjoyable. Just the fact that I can claim sectors strategically at choke points and set up a decent defense/cut off a section of space for myself is a huge improvement. Also resource generation/use seems a lot more balanced too. It just feels like I have more control of the game, and am less at the mercy of rng when the galaxy spawns. I am excited to finally give this game a go.

I am struggling to raise my naval capacity in this new version of the game. Is there anything I can do to raise this aside from wait for the right techs to appear or pick that 1 ascension perk? I have 11 starbases up, but even with anchorages, that's only an additional 44. Basically I am sitting on a pile of minerals and energy, but have a naval capacity of under 90. My fleet capacity alone is 70.

Should I just say, screw the cap, and build until the penalty is too high for me to continue? I ask because I have some space mongols on my border that are just begging for payback.

I think you're misunderstanding starbase modules, you can build as many duplicates as you want on one starbase. A single anchorage is 4 cap, but you can build up to 6 on one (upgraded) starbase plus a naval logistics office to bump each anchorage on that starbase to 6 cap. You can get waaaay more than 44 cap from your 11 starbases.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really liked what I played early on in the game's life and it always felt like things were going on but a) I modded the hell out of the game (like I do now) and b) even without mods the game would become unplayable around 2400 with a few seconds of gameplay, then several seconds of locking up, repeated forever. It's vastly better now in that respect. Edit: it's most likely that I just wasn't as good at the game but I remember The War In Heaven and Prethoryn Swarm being -terrifying- with so many 300k+ fleets flying around at a time when I was desperately trying to field 100k. The couple of times the War in Heaven has happened post 2.0, most empires basically kinda ignored them, rather than having it turn into a massive half galaxy-vs-half galaxy war. (And in the most recent game one awakened empire became the vassal of their rival some-loving-how.)

Regarding the choke point thing, that's only ever actually mattered in any way one game since 2.0 so far. The Great Khan spawned literally outside my empire's borders, which was spread out along the edge of the galaxy with a few choke points into the space - notably two that the Khan fleets sieged and I barely managed to keep hold of (actually I lost one guarding starbase but managed to get a fleet over there to hold them off). That was actually really thrilling. Sadly, when the khan was seriously one jump away from having their second fight with my fleets, they were murdered by an assassin.

binge crotching posted:

Ruined Dyson for one of the precursor systems would be awesome. The only one that wouldn't be good is the Spy Orb, since if you've built or found one already it's 100% useless.

I tend to find the precursor home systems like a century before I'm making megastructures on my own.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 22, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sloober posted:

Ruined Dyson for one of the precursor systems would be awesome. The only one that wouldn't be good is the Spy Orb, since if you've built or found one already it's 100% useless.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

This galaxy has now been mostly chill for so long that the fanatical purifiers have become pacifists

e: Oh man I actually saw the prompt for End of the Cycle :eyepop:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 22, 2018

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I'd give the Vultaum the Dyson, reason being that running all that VR takes so much power, SO MUCH POWER.
Idrassians would get the Science Nexus cause OHGODPLAGUE
Cybrex keep their ring world
Yuht would get Sentry of Course being the dirty peeping toms they were
First League is the issue at that point, I would say a size 25 world with buildings on it, but of course no food and modifiers against food generation.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 22, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Should I be happy that in the year 2251 it will take me 69 months to unlock my last Unity Tradition pick?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

My last few games have been prematurely terminated by a dodgy event or something that causes a hard crash on a given date that can't be worked around. Looking at the error log it looks like something tried to divide by zero. Is this likely to be a mod or a base game crash? I'm using NSC2, UI overhaul and Beautiful Universe.

No guarantees but the chances of it either bring a mod or a conflict between two mods is high.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Is the game not supposed to be able to tell that my species has synthetically ascended during the Contingency crisis? Because the events are playing out as if my pops are just regular synthetic workers being owned by my apparently still biological species. Also the event with the synthetic infiltrators, where the dialogue option goes "Anyone could be a synth!". Well, in this empire EVERYONE is a synth :v:

AG3 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 22, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:suicide:

No Sector setting gets the loving sector to put a goddamn pop on my stupid Gene-Clinics/Cryto-Revitalization centers :rant:

I have like 22 planets like this and it is driving me batty.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't put stuff in sectors until they're either already set up to run by themselves with everything already built/populated, or leave them basically empty except for a few requisites and swap them out to tidy the mess the AI makes later on.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

No Sector setting gets the loving sector to put a goddamn pop on my stupid Gene-Clinics/Cryto-Revitalization centers :rant:

Unless you're at negative food, destroy the farm and move the pop to the clinic. The AI will keep him there until a new building finishes constructing on the farm.

But back to your original point, the AI has no concept about growth modifiers, which is why the clinic is one of the last buildings to be manned. It doesn't produce enough raw resources to be prioritized over something with bigger numbers like the farm.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

binge crotching posted:

But back to your original point, the AI has no concept about growth modifiers, which is why the clinic is one of the last buildings to be manned. It doesn't produce enough raw resources to be prioritized over something with bigger numbers like the farm.

Which is a real problem, because pop growth modifiers are some of the strongest buffs in the early game.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sectors blow because the AI blows. They'd be ok of that wasn't the case.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Whenever I make sectors I just give them a big swathe of space, tell them to go hog wild with all the options turned on and then leave them alone to do whatever because I don't care, and within a few years I'll start getting hundreds of research per month from them which is all that really matters. Why bother trying to micromanage them?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Because the AI is pretty dumb

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

This has to be a result of mods, because in every one of my games when I have a sector start a planet from the ground up the very first building they build is the gene clinic and it never goes unstaffed. I don't have any mods installed. I'm suspicious that everyone who thinks sector AI is terrible is running mods that are breaking it in some way because it works just fine for me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fresh colonies in sectors for me build gene clinics first but don't staff them as a priority from every time I've checked on them. Soon as a farm or mine goes up, it swaps the pop to that. If there are equal pops for buildings it will staff it though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gadzuko posted:

This has to be a result of mods, because in every one of my games when I have a sector start a planet from the ground up the very first building they build is the gene clinic and it never goes unstaffed. I don't have any mods installed. I'm suspicious that everyone who thinks sector AI is terrible is running mods that are breaking it in some way because it works just fine for me.

I have the same problem as him and I'm running vanilla with no mods

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I mean, the easy solution is to just not hand planets over to the sector AI until you have the squares filled out with the base building of whatever type you want in there and the planet's pop is full. Relocate people from your managed planets to the one you're dumping in the sector or just fill all the mineral etc squares with robots.

I do agree that they should have a UI option to lock a pop to a tile but the work around isn't terribly cumbersome. If you aren't filling up planets before founding new colonies you're probably expanding a tich too fast anyways. You don't need planets to claim space any more, so all you're really doing bu having sectors full of half full planets is jacking up your unity costs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gadzuko posted:

That is unfortunate because I am running vanilla; zero mods. I have tried every sector setting and they do not staff it. It is a huge and stupid oversight. Also, there should be a "Unity Focus" sector setting. Its stupid that I get 31 Unity from a Sacred Nexus, but I have no way to tell my sector to man the drat thing. I get 11 Society Research and 7 Unity from a Cryto-Revitalization Center; 11 Energy/7 Unity from the Visitor Center and Energy Nexus, but loving Sectors man everything but those buildings first.

edit:

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, the easy solution is to just not hand planets over to the sector AI until you have the squares filled out with the base building of whatever type you want in there and the planet's pop is full. Relocate people from your managed planets to the one you're dumping in the sector or just fill all the mineral etc squares with robots.

I do agree that they should have a UI option to lock a pop to a tile but the work around isn't terribly cumbersome. If you aren't filling up planets before founding new colonies you're probably expanding a tich too fast anyways. You don't need planets to claim space any more, so all you're really doing bu having sectors full of half full planets is jacking up your unity costs.
Not to be snarky, but loving lol at both things in bold. First: Thats impossible when the cap is 6 or 7 planets and you have a lot to fill up. Second: You are welcome to do that on 22+ colonies in my sectors - I sure as hell wont be. The game is over two years old and Unity has been around for over a year. This should not be a problem. Also, I am Egalitarian so I cannot move people around by choice so that doesnt help either. I should not be forced into certain gameplay types to avoid the stupidest AI on the planet.

The sector AI is already bad enough to deal with, I should not have to micro every single building and every single pop just to make sure it isnt suboptimal as hell. At this point I should download a mod that removes sectors and the core planet cap because that would be WAY less hassle than needing to micro which buildings get built and when they get built so they dont get worked instead of better buildings.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 22, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It's really not that hard. Just set up the planet hte way you want it to be set up. Built the buildings you want, then hand it off to a sector without letting it redevelop anything. I've never had a problem with expanding with so many colonies growing at once that I had to hand off half-built world to the AI.

The other trick is only build buildings that you have a pop to use them (in your personally controlled sector of stuff you're still growing, naturally). The AI will always prioritize a building over an empty square, so it's easy enough to just build poo poo in the order that's important to you and always have someone on it.

I play spiritualist about half the time and I never really have the problems you seem to have keeping pops on my temples, hospitals, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

That is unfortunate because I am running vanilla; zero mods. I have tried every sector setting and they do not staff it. It is a huge and stupid oversight. Also, there should be a "Unity Focus" sector setting. Its stupid that I get 31 Unity from a Sacred Nexus, but I have no way to tell my sector to man the drat thing. I get 11 Society Research and 7 Unity from a Cryto-Revitalization Center; 11 Energy/7 Unity from the Visitor Center and Energy Nexus, but loving Sectors man everything but those buildings first.

edit:

Not to be snarky, but loving lol at both things in bold. First: Thats impossible when the cap is 6 or 7 planets and you have a lot to fill up. Second: You are welcome to do that on 22+ colonies in my sectors - I sure as hell wont be. The game is over two years old and Unity has been around for over a year. This should not be a problem. Also, I am Egalitarian so I cannot move people around by choice so that doesnt help either. I should not be forced into certain gameplay types to avoid the stupidest AI on the planet.

The sector AI is already bad enough to deal with, I should not have to micro every single building and every single pop just to make sure it isnt suboptimal as hell. At this point I should download a mod that removes sectors and the core planet cap because that would be WAY less hassle than needing to micro which buildings get built and when they get built so they dont get worked instead of better buildings.

Wait, you're playing egalitarian? How are you not instantly filling up your worlds with migration from core worlds? You should always have more pops available than you do buildings if you're playing Egalitarian.

I tested it a couple times just to make sure I'm not crazy and it's working fine for me.

(I built an extra mine just to see if it would switch the pop, since somebody said it always would)