Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It seems like diesels must've been by far simpler and more robust in those days, I honestly hate gasoline engines and barely understand how they work but modern ones are pretty ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Old diesels were very simple and many examples would generally run forever(barring GM converted gasoline motors), but they didn’t make poo poo for power and were horrible emitters of particulates and Nox.

It wasn’t until they came up with sophisticated injector technology, well-engineered turbocharging and electronic controls that you could make a serious amount of power with a diesel.

For example, the turbocharged Nissan 3.3l diesel in my 1980 IH Scout made a whopping 101hp/175 ft.lbs of torque, smoked like a chimney on acceleration, and weighed 675lbs. The 3.0l Ecodiesel in new light Dodge pickups makes 240hp, 420ft lbs., weighs 610lbs and passes modern emissions standards.

The simplicity of old oil-burners is nice, but they’re just not very good at what they do, by today’s standards.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

shovelbum posted:

It seems like diesels must've been by far simpler and more robust in those days, I honestly hate gasoline engines and barely understand how they work but modern ones are pretty ok

That cockroach ford I-6 they put in the pickups was a gas motor and last for goddamn ever. Decent torque, no HP, kinda like a diesel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

shovelbum posted:

they were simple and robust and absolute dog poo poo

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Local Honda dealer offers unlimited-mile/time powertrain warranty on New and CPO cars. I'm considering the Civic Ex-T. I don't think the turbo is covered in the powertrain warranty.

Assuming turbo is not covered :
Ex-T OR Ex with Honda sensing?

Assuming turbo is covered:
Ex-T OR Ex with Honda Sensing?

Would like some feedback from people who have driven both 2L and the turbo 1.5.

This would be for either new or like 20k miles manufacturer-approved CPO non-rental but probably new.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

buying a powertrain warranty on a Honda is like buying flood insurance in the Atacama

you can do it, but why

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

buying a powertrain warranty on a Honda is like buying flood insurance in the Atacama

you can do it, but why

Sorry, to clarify the unlimited powertrain warranty is free and included.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cretin90 posted:

It's not free, you might be able to work a better price without it, or a better price from another dealer if this place only sells cars with 3rd party warranties attached.

Somebody's paying for it. If this dealer still is the best price you can get on a Honda in the area then they're eating it out of their own costs, but someone is paying for it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cretin90 posted:

Even CPO is kind of a waste on a Honda that is only a year or three old.

"unlimited" warranty is more of a selling point if you're buying something that is ready to explode at any time like a Fiat or a Mini.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
OK, thanks for the feedback folks.

Shifting the discussion a little, thoughts on reliability of 2.0L vs 1.5L T on Civic?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cretin90 posted:

OK, thanks for the feedback folks.

Shifting the discussion a little, thoughts on reliability of 2.0L vs 1.5L T on Civic?

Buy the turbo, it's a better engine. You also want Honda Sensing though. If you have a gun to your head and can only choose one or the other, get Honda Sensing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
How much experence does modern honda (I don't care about a kei car in the 80s neither do diesels or race cars) have with turbo charging? I honestly don't know just because I don't know about the non-US options.
Turbo sometimes cause otherwise reliable car companies to have some teething issues when they hit the real world. I personally would avoid companies new to turbos a bit longer than first model year, even if it was a honda.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean... this isn't the '80s where everyone is trying poo poo to see if it sticks with hardly any real-world testing. Strictly speaking they've been doing turbos in mass-market vehicles since at least 2007 with the RDX and the turbocharged K23. I don't recall seeing any major issues there, though they did switch to a naturally aspirated J-series V6 in 2013.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I completely forgot acura had turbos.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
What IOC said, plus it’s not like Honda’s going nuts with boost here, I think the 1.5 L-series makes ~125 hp in the Fit and ~176 in the non-Si Civic.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
*pounds drum*

MAZDA 2 DEMIO

SMALL BLOCK TURBO DIESEL

IN AMERICA NOW

hnnnngffff

The new ones look so freaking good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yes please niche japanese automaker please waste your time effort and money bring back a car that sold 19,000 units per year at best in a market that doesn't buy cars any more

edit: those sales figures were achieved during 2012 which saw very high gas prices

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Proposed Budget: Cheap. Under $8k.
New or Used: either
Body Style: sedan or hatch
How will you be using the car?: commuting mostly, occasional road trip or camping trip with gear
What aspects are most important to you? reliable and more fuel efficient then my Outback, comfy highway cruiser

I've done fun cars and dumb cars back in college and I'm currently driving a Subaru Outback that's coming up on a lot of maintenance that won't be cheap (ie head gasket, suspension, catalytic converter, transmission issues). I'm contemplating replacing it with a comfy commuter that will handle the occasional couple hundred mile trip.

I'm researching on the Prius and while this seems like the obvious answer, I"m wondering if there's anything else I should be looking at?

I drove a friend's prius and I forgot just how much I hate the driver's layout and the shifter and everything. Owning one would drive me nuts.

That being said, I just got a raise/bonus at work, and looking at my budget, I'd be comfortable getting a car in the 10-12k range. This seems to really open up a lot of options.

My list so far:

Mazda 3 with the skyactiv, sedan or hatch.

Honda Fit/Civic/Accord (avoiding the V6)

Kia Soul (speaking of, isn't the Elantra fairly similar? I see quite a few lower mileage examples that are well optioned out in this price range. From what I can tell they seem fairly decent as long as I avoid the 1.8L.)

Toyota Corolla iM? A neighbor just got one and he loves it. I think it's good looking in an ugly way and thought it rode fine. Also apparently comes with a stick as an option.

Ford Focus. I like how the hatch looks and drives, but I haven't seen any decent examples with a stick locally and aren't all the autos the DCT now?

Seems like I can get most of these off lease or around 50k miles in my price range. Am I missing any other cars that I should be looking at?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the Cruze isn't half bad and is cheap

The Kia Forte and the Hyundia Elantra are also good in that general class

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Post history doesn't lie; I haven't been on SA in general or in AI specifically, for years. That said, I need help buying something I never thought I'd need to buy: a commuter car.

So, long story short, I got a new job that requires me to commute 60-100 miles daily, and I'd rather not put that on any of my Jeeps. Being a gov. job I was hoping they'd cover mileage at least, but it doesn't look like that'll happen. So I need help picking out a cheap car I don't care about, but won't mind driving, and is readily available in N. NV. My major criteria are reliable (or at least cheap and easy to fix), good mileage (25 mpg HWY) and manual. Manual is non-negotiable for me (it's a hang-up, I know), but that works out, as when I searched Craigslist, I found that the majority of vehicles I'd be interested in are manuals anyhow. I was honestly expecting 4-5 times more auto cars available, but it's only a small handful more, if you exclude SUVs and Pickups (which I obviously am for a commuter car).

Here's what I'm finding (in any significant quantity):

• Mid-90s Honda's that are beat to poo poo and pushing 200k miles, in the $2-2.5k range.
  • Mid-Late-00s Outbacks & Foresters, anywhere between 100-150k miles and for $4.5-6.5k, depending on age.
  • Mk5 Jettas, 100-130k miles and between $3-4.5k.
  • Mid-00s compact Toyota's (Yaris, Matrix, etc.) with 250-300+k miles and for $3.5-4k. Anything with more reasonable mileage, costs as much as the later-model Subaru's.
  • Late-00s Chevy econoboxes (Cobalt, Cruze, etc.) with 120-160k miles for $3-4k.

There's obviously more choices out there than that, but those are the most common cars I'm finding, by a wide margin (that I'd consider as a commuter car). I was almost tempted by an $800 3cyl Geo Metro, as I bombed around in one (company vehicle) as a teenager delivering auto-parts as a job, but the lack of A/C is unfortunately a no-go during the summer months.

So here's my thoughts on those different options:

• I nor my family have ever had good luck with Honda's, but they are easy to work on so I'm willing to overlook a lot, but every single one is absolutely beat to hell. I'd be ok with this choice, if I could just find one in reasonable condition, that wasn't also ridiculously overpriced compared to what else is available.

• I haven't personally owned one, but I like Subaru and I like wagons, even if an XJ is closer to a true-blue wagon than these Subaru models. The later model-years are more than I kinda want to pay, but I could afford it if necessary, and they are nice. I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but AWD is a major benefit in these cars. We get some crazy winter storms here in NV, where it becomes mandatory to take one of the Jeeps. Obviously that means AWD isn't mandatory as there's always backup vehicles, but the extra versatility is a plus. My major concern is cost to repair, and head-gasket issues. There are a multitude of cheaper Subbies of all types to be found for sale on Craigslist, with blown head-gaskets. Subbie forum searches don't exactly add to my confidence as to the longevity of the motor re: head issues. Hopefully someone here will be able to chime in and confirm or assuage my concerns.

• I and my family have owned VWs of all eras, and they range from absolutely bullet-proof, literally million mile cars, to unreliable crap-box that you're amazed managed to roll out of the factory without the doors falling off. VW forum searches for Mk5 Jettas has surprisingly returned very little in terms of major issues. In-fact, I see a lot of people saying the same thing: keep up on maintenance, and the car will give no trouble, even when pushing higher mileages. What concerns me is why most of these vehicles seem to be sold for so cheap, compared to their (outwardly excellent) condition and number of amenities.

• I always thought Toyota was Toyota; you're going to get a car that will run forever and otherwise be a boring beige box. Based on the mileage, it would seem that's still true, but forum searches show that the engine used in all these cars is problematic. Primarily bad rings, high oil temp issues and major oil consumption (2 quarts per 1000 miles is considered common.) Given the very small sump capacity, I hear it's not uncommon to starve these motors for oil. Again, it's obvious the cars made it this far, but I wonder what permanent issues they carry with them, and how much further they're going to go. Especially given their price range.

• There actually doesn't seem to be a lot to say about these cars. They may actually be more boring A->B vehicles than the Toyota's. Common things I read in reviews is that the interior and the electrical for the interior will fall apart around you, but the cars themselves are mechanically very reliable. I can honestly say I've never looked heavily into any Chevy vehicle before, so I know the least about these.

I know that's a lot to throw at you guys, but I'd appreciate your insight into my options.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Moving to a new job that will require me to drive rather than rely on public transportation as I have done for years, so in time I will be looking for a more commuter friendly car than my wife and I's Edge.

Proposed Budget: 30-35k, can stretch to 40 if there's a slam dunk out there
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 4 door compact or midsize sedan, or compact/midsize crossover.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, occasional other trips around town. Unlikely to have many long road trips. 15 mile commute each way.
What aspects are most important to you? Fancy gizmos/features, comfortable seats. Android Auto a plus. Driver assist packages not necessary but not a dealbreaker either. High reliability/ease of maintenance would be nice but not crucial, same with good gas mileage. I can't drive stick.

I have an unnatural disposition toward vehicles in the Ford orbit but only because my mom and dad retired from there; not beholden to the big blue oval. I am tempted to look at used German luxury cars but wonder about their reliability. On the flip side, I have heard really good things about the new Mazda 6 and Accord. Not in a hurry to buy anything, but would appreciate advice about narrowing down my options. :)

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Sharparoni posted:

Moving to a new job that will require me to drive rather than rely on public transportation as I have done for years, so in time I will be looking for a more commuter friendly car than my wife and I's Edge.

Proposed Budget: 30-35k, can stretch to 40 if there's a slam dunk out there
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 4 door compact or midsize sedan, or compact/midsize crossover.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, occasional other trips around town. Unlikely to have many long road trips. 15 mile commute each way.
What aspects are most important to you? Fancy gizmos/features, comfortable seats. Android Auto a plus. Driver assist packages not necessary but not a dealbreaker either. High reliability/ease of maintenance would be nice but not crucial, same with good gas mileage. I can't drive stick.

I have an unnatural disposition toward vehicles in the Ford orbit but only because my mom and dad retired from there; not beholden to the big blue oval. I am tempted to look at used German luxury cars but wonder about their reliability. On the flip side, I have heard really good things about the new Mazda 6 and Accord. Not in a hurry to buy anything, but would appreciate advice about narrowing down my options. :)

I know little about cars but I’m wondering (for my own edification) if the Tesla model 3 is worth looking at given what you need the car for and your price range. Can people who know stuff explain why/if that’s a stupid idea?

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
To expand upon my post above, it looks like there's two main vehicles I'm going to try and look at this weekend, and I want to get people's thoughts on them.

1. $3000 - A 2007 Wolfsburg Jetta with 125k miles, that looks to be in great condition and the seller claims to have maintained it, with a list of items. Lists two major faults, which are the key-fob no longer works to unlock the doors, although he claims the door locks work fine from within the car, and the driver's window will no longer roll down, which sounds like a regulator and/or window motor. A car that looks this good at this price point, deeply concerns me about what issues are lurking, but by the same token, if everything checks out. :shrug:

2. $4000 - A 2000 Subaru Outback with 194k miles, and the ugliest factory two-tone paint scheme I have ever seen (although the paint itself is in good condition). This is being sold by a local Toyota dealer as part of their used-car inventory (they have some newer Outbacks in the $7-8k range, which I want to avoid). Dealer claims it's a no-accident, great-condition, one-owner car, and I'm not entirely sure how much stock I put into Carfax, but it seems to corroborate the claim. One owner, with full service history available through the Carfax, which includes the belts and water-pump at 140,000 miles, head-gaskets replaced at 150,000 miles, as well as the fly-wheel resurfaced (although no mention of the clutch). I really like the fact this car has an available service history, which shows that it has been worked on. I just wish it wasn't so loving ugly.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

My girlfriend just moved to the States from Berlin and is looking to buy her first car. She's really excited, knows less than nothing about cars and car-buying, and she's throwing weird, 10+ year old vehicles from Facebook Marketplace at me left and right, way faster than I can research each one (I'm no expert either).

I haven't done this in a while, and Edmunds doesn't seem to be the research tool it once was, it looks like more of a sales platform now. Where do you guys recommend finding quick pros and cons info on specific year/make/model, so I can narrow the field and not have to post each one here?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

My girlfriend just moved to the States from Berlin and is looking to buy her first car. She's really excited, knows less than nothing about cars and car-buying, and she's throwing weird, 10+ year old vehicles from Facebook Marketplace at me left and right, way faster than I can research each one (I'm no expert either).

I haven't done this in a while, and Edmunds doesn't seem to be the research tool it once was, it looks like more of a sales platform now. Where do you guys recommend finding quick pros and cons info on specific year/make/model, so I can narrow the field and not have to post each one here?

US News has my favorite layman’s terms pro/cons for cars. (Which pains me to say this as a person who works for a different not-US News car site)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Trevor Hale posted:

US News has my favorite layman’s terms pro/cons for cars. (Which pains me to say this as a person who works for a different not-US News car site)

Thanks! There's no endorsement like a competitor endorsement

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yes please niche japanese automaker please waste your time effort and money bring back a car that sold 19,000 units per year at best in a market that doesn't buy cars any more

edit: those sales figures were achieved during 2012 which saw very high gas prices

Selling the mazda 2 here would not cost much money as the thing is already federalized/epaed. They sell it in puerto rico.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 21, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

uberkeyzer posted:

I know little about cars but I’m wondering (for my own edification) if the Tesla model 3 is worth looking at given what you need the car for and your price range. Can people who know stuff explain why/if that’s a stupid idea?

Because they are neither available for purchase or reliable.

The production line is literally shut down right now because it's got so many problems.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Alright, I'm not having much luck searching older model cars on US News, so I need guidance after all. Here are her list of demands:

Proposed Budget: $2000-4000, could stretch to 5 if it's a slam dunk
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4-door or SUV
How will you be using the car?: General daily driver, ideally we could strap canoes on top and/or be able to sleep in it overnight on short road trips around Florida (we live near Tampa).
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? backup camera would be nice, she's a big city girl without a ton of driving experience. I don't know if we can get that in our budget though
What aspects are most important to you? safety, ongoing ownership costs, and quirky or ironic styling.

To elaborate on that: so far she loves Minis, a 1993 geo tracker in neon pink, and an all-gold Jeep Cherokee from 99. She's obsessed with getting a Ford Bronco because she thinks the name is hilarious. She's from Berlin so a lot of things that look lame to us like old school 4-doors or boxy SUVs like a Jeep Patriot are cool or gangster or "American" to her. And none of this ultimately matters because she'll take whatever fits our use case best at the end of the day. Oh, and bonus points if it comes in gold or turquoise.

Help. :cripes:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 22, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the Cruze isn't half bad and is cheap

The Kia Forte and the Hyundia Elantra are also good in that general class

Word, thanks. Took a friend's Cruze for a spin and it's...not the worst. Fairly loaded low mileage examples for cheap locally as well.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alright, I'm not having much luck searching older model cars on US News, so I need guidance after all. Here are her list of demands:

Proposed Budget: $2000-4000, could stretch to 5 if it's a slam dunk
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4-door or SUV
How will you be using the car?: General daily driver, ideally we could strap canoes on top and/or be able to sleep in it overnight on short road trips around Florida (we live near Tampa).
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? backup camera would be nice, she's a big city girl without a ton of driving experience. I don't know if we can get that in our budget though
What aspects are most important to you? safety, ongoing ownership costs, and quirky or ironic styling.

To elaborate on that: so far she loves Minis, a 1993 geo tracker in neon pink, and an all-gold Jeep Cherokee from 99. She's obsessed with getting a Ford Bronco because she thinks the name is hilarious. She's from Berlin so a lot of things that look lame to us like old school 4-doors or boxy SUVs like a Jeep Patriot are cool or gangster or "American" to her. And none of this ultimately matters because she'll take whatever fits our use case best at the end of the day. Oh, and bonus points if it comes in gold or turquoise.

Help. :cripes:

Check out a <2000 Isuzu Vehicross. There's some out there to be had <$5k. It's going to have the same problems as any other 20 years old car, and is pretty funky to boot.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

The King of Swag posted:

To expand upon my post above, it looks like there's two main vehicles I'm going to try and look at this weekend, and I want to get people's thoughts on them.

1. $3000 - A 2007 Wolfsburg Jetta...

2. $4000 - A 2000 Subaru Outback...

So first car was delisted so I never got to take a look at it, but I called the dealer about the Outback and went to take a look. Car itself actually didn't look bad at all--it had obviously been taken well care of. As far as mechanical issues go, I noticed one front CV axle boot was ripped, and while most of the suspension bushings were pretty good, the two rear differential bushings were completely shot. All in all, nothing I'm not capable of handling over a weekend in my garage. That said, the Toyota dealer that was selling the car jerked me around, so I walked away, after agreeing to buy it.

Long story short, there was more to it than just this, but the straw that broke the camel's back was we agreed on a price for the car, they charged my card and when I went to sign for the charge, I saw that they were charging me for $1000 more than the agreed price. I already knew it was going to be slightly higher due to various fees here and there, but they were trying to hit me for a $400 dealer handling fee among other things, and I told them I was going to back out at that price. They kept acting like they were trying to give me a deal by knocking $200 off, and then $400, but I even told them that's still $600 over where I was expecting to roughly be.

I laid it flat out: I used to work for a dealer, I know what's bullshit tacked on to increase the price and what's legitimate. I was expecting and willing to pay slightly more at a dealer, because they handle stuff like temp reg and insurance, so you can drive it home then and there, instead of private party dealings, where you need to call your insurance, and go to the DMV before you can legally move the vehicle after you purchase it. But at the price they were charging, I could get another Subaru 3-4 years newer and 50k miles less, at the cost of the extra hassle and the benefit of not being taken for a ride.

So the salesman and the sales manager were all butt-hurt about me backing out and it being after hours (it was 15 min after normal closing), but as I even told them, I was originally going to come by tomorrow afternoon, but the salesman (I called to see if the vehicle was even on the lot) was adamant they were going to be extremely busy the next day and he was alright with spending time after closing to look at the car. The real kicker for me though, is I told the sales manager I was sorry for taking his time and having his staff stay after-hours, and he told me "No you aren't. We've already worked with you on the price and you now don't want it." I legitimately was sorry for taking their time, as I don't like wasting people's time and regardless of who is at fault, the poor cashier is being forced to stay late because I'm physically there, but after that, I just didn't care. I just wanted them to hurry up voiding out the charges so I could leave.

So gently caress you Carson City Toyota; you're the type of dealer that's the reason I have spent years telling people that not every dealer is crooked, but you do need to do your research and be willing to back away from any deal if things go sideways.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

https://www.cars.com/dealers/24153/carson-city-toyota/reviews/

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

In your price range your probably better off going private party, unless you don't have the cash available. Looking on CLforna minute in your area I see a few examples of manual outbacks that look decent.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

A Proper Uppercut posted:

In your price range your probably better off going private party, unless you don't have the cash available. Looking on CLforna minute in your area I see a few examples of manual outbacks that look decent.

I have the cash, I was just looking at that particular car because it looked decent and buying from a dealer vs private party is always easier when you aren't dealing with belligerents. Dealer allows you to pay with debit, or credit (for that 2% cash-back), vs hoofing it to a bank branch during open hours and taking out a huge wad of easily stolen money. Dealer also handles temp registration and insurance so you can just drive your car home, vs leaving the car with the original owner until the first weekday, where you can call insurance and add the vehicle, as well as make it to the DMV and register the car (or get a moving permit).

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Check out a <2000 Isuzu Vehicross. There's some out there to be had <$5k. It's going to have the same problems as any other 20 years old car, and is pretty funky to boot.

Vetoed as too ugly. For the record, I think it's awesome and want one now. She seems to like boring boxes more than curvy/bumpy styling. At this point, I say gently caress style, what can I get for under $5k that we can rely on and throw an air mattress in back of.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Vetoed as too ugly. For the record, I think it's awesome and want one now. She seems to like boring boxes more than curvy/bumpy styling. At this point, I say gently caress style, what can I get for under $5k that we can rely on and throw an air mattress in back of.

Scion xb? It's reliable and boxy, not sure if big enough.

Speaking of boxy, I always loved those old K5 Blazers.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 22, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throw in the Kia Soul and the Honda Element, although used values on Elements are loving insane

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I refuse to help anyone who insults the vehicross.

Maybe a jeep cherokee with a 4.0 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Good recommendations, but she likes the K5 Blazer and hates the rest. Everything she likes except Minis is an old beater; the more modern cube look with softened edges/corners or curves seems to be a cardinal sin. Got anything more modern in the Blazer direction?

Edit:

nm posted:

I refuse to help anyone who insults the vehicross.

Maybe a jeep cherokee with a 4.0 though.

Looks good! Any years to avoid?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 22, 2018