Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I guess if Google built something people wanted carriers would stop selling telephones or something. That reasoning doesn't even pass the absurdity test.

The absurd explanation Google's Messaging head gave to The Verge was that the carriers would just get upset and fork Android.

Pay no attention to the fact that such a rage-fork would then not have access to Google Play, making those hypothetical handsets unsaleable featurephones at best. (Plus, y'know, LOL at the carriers spinning up OS development teams and standing up their own multiplicity of app stores and developers jumping through the endless hoops of working with legacy carriers. Christ, look how long it took loving Amazon to get a moderately-functional non-Google Android app store catalog.)

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Wrist Watch posted:

So with Flamingo gone, is Fenix the only other Twitter app worth checking out? I want to give other apps beyond the official one a shot but the reviews on Fenix are a bit worrying.

I like talon. It does what I need it to do, which is to read tweets and not be full of poo poo ads like the official app.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

G-Spot Run posted:

I like talon. It does what I need it to do, which is to read tweets and not be full of poo poo ads like the official app.

Dying platform Twitter has been trying to push native app for a decade and failing.

Also, plume exists. I'm going to hold on with flamingo until the inevitable anti-trust lawsuit though.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Twitter will probably hang around for a half generation like Facey, but advertising as we know it is a dying platform for sure.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

G-Spot Run posted:

but advertising as we know it is a dying platform for sure.

Signs point to no

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

G-Spot Run posted:

advertising as we know it is a dying platform for sure.

I wish this was so. It's basically the root of all evil on the internet.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm not saying it's dying fast or that they've stopped trying to revive, but adblock at the browser, at the kernel, at the VPN etc is increasing. I see so many "pppppppwease dont bwock me :(" messages and it doesn't change my feelings at all. Product placement and press releases as news/entertainment is the future.

Speaking of I'm pretty sure I need to root my pixel to block YouTube ads? Anybody have a recommend app or guide?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

G-Spot Run posted:

Speaking of I'm pretty sure I need to root my pixel to block YouTube ads? Anybody have a recommend app or guide?

Have you considered paying?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Have you considered paying?

Sluuuuurp

Just get netguard from github

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

syscall girl posted:

Sluuuuurp

Just get netguard from github

I mean, I've never seen an ad on YouTube in my life even before I got YTR but I have tried Netguard a few times (maybe four separate times?) on my Pixel and while it got rid of ads in the browser so many other little things broke on the phone I couldn't imagine keeping it around. Ten bucks a month to have music, no ads (which again I'm not sure actually exist), and a working phone seems like a steal but then I'm not so poor $10 will break me.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Adguard works and gently caress giving google cold hard cash on top of their data farming

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's not about ability they straight up don't deserve it

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I buy one off pro versions but not subscriptions. If the best options gently caress up the phone I'll just stick to YouTube in the browser. It's just very obvious whenever I decide to watch a video on my phone since I never see them on the PC

I'll check out Adguard anyway.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I mean, I've never seen an ad on YouTube in my life even before I got YTR but I have tried Netguard a few times (maybe four separate times?) on my Pixel and while it got rid of ads in the browser so many other little things broke on the phone I couldn't imagine keeping it around. Ten bucks a month to have music, no ads (which again I'm not sure actually exist), and a working phone seems like a steal but then I'm not so poor $10 will break me.

Just FYI, YouTube Red isn't available in most of the world.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The one time I tried Adguard on my Pixel 2 it went through the battery right quick.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Netguard

The apk from github is open sores and works

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Is there an app (or any other way) to disable the volume / ear damage warning? I use my Pixel to listen to Spotify in the car, but the idiot device assumes everything plugged into it is a headphone. One day I'm going to crash and die while I'm trying to cancel the stupid warning and turn the volume back up to an audible level because it's randomly kicked in on the motorway again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Adguard works and gently caress giving google cold hard cash on top of their data farming

I do it for the music sub, I don't care about YouTube in the least. $15/month for me and my wife, my mom and dad, and her mom is just a good deal.

I'd be paying for a music sub anyway, why go with anyone else?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If you pay YouTube, does YouTube pay video publishers in lieu of ad income?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Flopstick posted:

Is there an app (or any other way) to disable the volume / ear damage warning? I use my Pixel to listen to Spotify in the car, but the idiot device assumes everything plugged into it is a headphone. One day I'm going to crash and die while I'm trying to cancel the stupid warning and turn the volume back up to an audible level because it's randomly kicked in on the motorway again.

To kind of piggyback off this, is there any way to boost the volume output to headphones? I use a Samsung Level U Bluetooth headset while working, but if they put me in a diesel truck I cant hear poo poo over the motor.

E- Huawei mate se

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Ola posted:

If you pay YouTube, does YouTube pay video publishers in lieu of ad income?

Yes. By watched minutes.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

I do it for the music sub, I don't care about YouTube in the least. $15/month for me and my wife, my mom and dad, and her mom is just a good deal.

I'd be paying for a music sub anyway, why go with anyone else?

If you don't live in these countries, Youtube Red is simply not an option
  • Australia
  • Korea
  • Mexico
  • New Zealand
  • The United States
So the only way to avoid the ads, even though you have a Google Music subscription, is to use something like Adguard/Netguard.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Heners_UK posted:

Yes. By watched minutes.

Sweet. I might go for it once it's available here. It's also a strong incentive to not hate watch anything.

e: I should add, in the mean time I am blocking the gently caress out of all ads. I almost never watch Youtube on mobile because of ads, but perhaps I should try playing them in the ad blocked mobile Firefox.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

G-Spot Run posted:

I'm not saying it's dying fast or that they've stopped trying to revive, but adblock at the browser, at the kernel, at the VPN etc is increasing. I see so many "pppppppwease dont bwock me :(" messages and it doesn't change my feelings at all. Product placement and press releases as news/entertainment is the future.

Eh, once we reach a certain point of ad blocking, advertising will just switch over to native ads.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ola posted:

Sweet. I might go for it once it's available here. It's also a strong incentive to not hate watch anything.

e: I should add, in the mean time I am blocking the gently caress out of all ads. I almost never watch Youtube on mobile because of ads, but perhaps I should try playing them in the ad blocked mobile Firefox.

Download this, no ads and also background playback with screen off

https://f-droid.org/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

If you don't live in these countries, Youtube Red is simply not an option
  • Australia
  • Korea
  • Mexico
  • New Zealand
  • The United States
So the only way to avoid the ads, even though you have a Google Music subscription, is to use something like Adguard/Netguard.

And that is a very good reason to not go with them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I went ahead and set up a Tiny Tiny RSS server any of you guys can use. The Android app is good and so is the web interface.

Go here, register, go crazy with a very good RSS reading and managing thingamabob. If anyone sees any plugins they'd like installed let me know.

I don't really know how many users this server can support so I limited the total number of users for now until I can watch the server load for a while.

If more than a person or two signs up I'll probably have to start a thread to keep discussion out of this thread, but people ask for something like this in this thread occasionally. Until/if I do you can PM me for support.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

G-Spot Run posted:

Newpipe does no-ads YouTube, but doesn't support livestreams and basically anything you'd need an account for. Plus, you'll have to redo all your subscribed channels.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

I went ahead and set up a Tiny Tiny RSS server any of you guys can use. The Android app is good and so is the web interface.

Go here, register, go crazy with a very good RSS reading and managing thingamabob. If anyone sees any plugins they'd like installed let me know.

I don't really know how many users this server can support so I limited the total number of users for now until I can watch the server load for a while.

If more than a person or two signs up I'll probably have to start a thread to keep discussion out of this thread, but people ask for something like this in this thread occasionally. Until/if I do you can PM me for support.

This is incredibly generous of you! I've imported my feeds from feedly via OPML, and discovered a few that claim to be broken. Most of them actually are, but one isn't really. The feed URL is https://www.tonedeafcomics.com/blogs/comics.atom, which I can get to fine in my browser. Tiny Tiny RSS, however, thinks it's getting a 404 instead. Any ideas what might be going on? For what it's worth, feedly also thinks the feed is unreachable, but still provides me with content (somehow).

Which client do you suggest?

Edit: whoops, just noticed your last bit; I haven't sprung for PMs yet. I suppose I probably should.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hooah posted:

This is incredibly generous of you! I've imported my feeds from feedly via OPML, and discovered a few that claim to be broken. Most of them actually are, but one isn't really. The feed URL is https://www.tonedeafcomics.com/blogs/comics.atom, which I can get to fine in my browser. Tiny Tiny RSS, however, thinks it's getting a 404 instead. Any ideas what might be going on? For what it's worth, feedly also thinks the feed is unreachable, but still provides me with content (somehow).

Which client do you suggest?

Edit: whoops, just noticed your last bit; I haven't sprung for PMs yet. I suppose I probably should.

I'll look in to that right now.

Also, if any of the 5 people who've signed up so far want to use Discord for support or chatting about the thing, you can hit up the server i just set up here.

edit: that comics feed seems to be working for me now. I guess give it awhile and see if the error clears up for you?

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 21, 2018

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

G-Spot Run posted:

I went ahead and gave talon a try, but as far as I can see there's no way to view the number of likes/retweets/comments on anything without long pressing a tweet? I like the lack of ads and the actual chronological timeline but if enabling that isn't an option I might just refund this.

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

Re podcast apps from a few pages back, AntennaPod is pretty good, has Chromecast and password protected feed support.

Anyone got a viewing what the best note taking app is, looking for one will sync with Drive/Dropbox across multiple platforms? Google Keep is not the nicest layout!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
OneNote? May bit a bit overkill for your needs.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Evernote. It's got multi platform sync, but I don't know about the Dropbox bit.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

trouser_mouse posted:

Anyone got a viewing what the best note taking app is, looking for one will sync with Drive/Dropbox across multiple platforms? Google Keep is not the nicest layout!

I used SyncNotes for a while and it does precisely what you're asking for.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
For anyone that uses their Play Store credit towards a Youtube Red subscription, do you have to have the full monthly amount pre-loaded into your account in order to pay? Or can you have whatever's in your account added towards the bill, and the rest paid through Paypal?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
You have to load credit to your account or pay it fully from another method. You use your credit for part and pay the rest for whatever reason.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

OneNote? May bit a bit overkill for your needs.

I like this cuz it works on both phone platforms and desktop platforms and they all sync up with no dropbox/drive. The only concern might be security, I haven't looked into how it's encrypted or stored but I don't make notes of great interest. :shrug:

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

bunky posted:

I used SyncNotes for a while and it does precisely what you're asking for.

Thanks! Seems like it's between this and OneNote, will have a play.

Thanks all 🙂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Turns out my server is humming along fine, so I opened up some new spots on my RSS reader site/app thing if anyone else wants to sign up. We've also got a Discord for support.