Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Right.

As much as I love John Wagner, the Chaos Virus and Block Mania are basically the exact same storyline.

Fair enough. If someone wanted to say that whole thing was the Apocalypse War despite how they actually labeled the parts, I wouldn't complain. I was just clarifying.

The storyline after the Apocalypse War was the fatties which is pretty much the sharpest tone whiplash that you can get.

(That's not actually from that story. The obese protests were stupid, but I found the underground eating competitions stuff a lot more amusing.)

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Choco1980 posted:

He's the grandson of one of the "Harlem Heroes", from the earliest days of 2000AD, a strip about future basketball.

Look, all I'm saying is that when I hear the name "Judge Giant," and the dude isn't at least eight feet tall , I feel as though I have been mislead.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Random Stranger posted:

Fair enough. If someone wanted to say that whole thing was the Apocalypse War despite how they actually labeled the parts, I wouldn't complain. I was just clarifying.

The storyline after the Apocalypse War was the fatties which is pretty much the sharpest tone whiplash that you can get.

(That's not actually from that story. The obese protests were stupid, but I found the underground eating competitions stuff a lot more amusing.)

It looks like they're eating live alligators. Something with scales and little waggling legs. How close am I?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

It looks like they're eating live alligators. Something with scales and little waggling legs. How close am I?

I think what you're seeing as an alligator are the food dispensing machines that are pushing sausages down their throats.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ah! Sausages, yeah. The guy behind Arnie has two sausages on his chute that really look like waggling feet.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Random Stranger posted:

I think what you're seeing as an alligator are the food dispensing machines that are pushing sausages down their throats.

And of course since this is the Dredd universe we are talking about, the sausage is made from people isn't it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

good god that sport looks terrible.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"OK so we're basically going to play a globetrotters game, except every once in a while someone will get bored and do a clothesline from hell"

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Zil posted:

And of course since this is the Dredd universe we are talking about, the sausage is made from people isn't it?

Everything is made of people. Avoiding having the departed sent to Recyc to be turned into useful materials for the city is a major crime, and can get you time in the Isocubes. You don't have any recent deaths to report, do you, creep?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ghostlight posted:

You're both :wrong: :right:

Eventually this went out of fashion and was replaced with Inferno (with the same players inexplicably enough) which is basically Handball, only some players have jetpacks and some players have motorcycles.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Some of it's people, it could also be Munce which is a high-protein plant that happens to look like a human head in its unprocessed form.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still amazed that 2000AD comics predicted fat rights activists back in the early 80s.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

After you said that, I had to scroll up to see if they were eating Kleggs. Kleggs are anthropoidal alligator people from the Dreddverse that are known for being people eaters, with one exception:

(2000 AD Prog 1888)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gnome de plume posted:

Some of it's people, it could also be Munce which is a high-protein plant that happens to look like a human head in its unprocessed form.
Munce comes from the Cursed Earth so I wouldn't bet that it wasn't originally people.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Servoret posted:

After you said that, I had to scroll up to see if they were eating Kleggs. Kleggs are anthropoidal alligator people from the Dreddverse that are known for being people eaters, with one exception:

(2000 AD Prog 1888)

I see Megacity 1 still has Fox News.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Servoret posted:

(2000 AD Prog 1888)

He's adorable!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Say Nothing posted:

I'm still amazed that 2000AD comics predicted fat rights activists back in the early 80s.

Wheel?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Judge's calling out for a replacement wheel because the fatty has a flat tire (under his gut)

Elsewhere:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's telling him to "walk" as in get out of the way/disperse, because the fatties are so large the legs are only there to provide forward motion rather than hold up their body - they're all sitting on a kind of unicycle skateboard contraption that allows them to move.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Look under the gut.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

Was that contemporary with this?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they do walk. the wheel is only to keep their guts from dragging on the ground. so, the ridiculous parody is considerably less ridiculous than real life, what with the many grotesquely obese people who cannot move under their own power.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Servoret posted:

(2000 AD Prog 1888)

Look at that Klegg, with a job! In a city with 80%+ unemployment. He's only gotten it through affirmative action!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Servoret posted:

(2000 AD Prog 1888)

Now I feel sad. Tell me he winds up like Sobek, please.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

prefect posted:

I don't get the reference. Not Sobek the historical Egyptian god, I assume?

Sensitive Klegg eventually leaves Mega-City One and finds happiness on the stage.

(2000 AD Prog 1970)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Servoret posted:

He was in 52.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The Punisher, the first unlimited series, issue 7, March 1998.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they do walk. the wheel is only to keep their guts from dragging on the ground. so, the ridiculous parody is considerably less ridiculous than real life, what with the many grotesquely obese people who cannot move under their own power.

There's a dead Fatty complete with bellywheel in the Dredd film. I'd post a pic but my computer is in bits at the moment.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Infinity Gauntlet #2 (obviously not funny in context but all those people end up fine!)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

As a rule you shouldn't hope for happy endings in Judge Dredd stories.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

He was in 52.

He ends up as boots

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh Sobek.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

One of the Horsemen of Apokolips, so he was.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

prefect posted:

I might be misremembering but didn't Sobek turn out to be a massive rear end in a top hat?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

I might be misremembering but didn't Sobek turn out to be a massive rear end in a top hat?

Indeed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Samuringa posted:

I didn't want to spoil things. :blush:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Servoret posted:

Sensitive Klegg eventually leaves Mega-City One and finds happiness on the stage.

(2000 AD Prog 1970)

Is that Steve Bannon in the audience, next to the stage?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

TheCenturion posted:

The Punisher, the first unlimited series, issue 7, March 1998.

Batman's Shameful Secret › Post Funny Panels - Funny Comic Panels only! No edits

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Samuringa posted:

A little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Leatherhead! Noooo!