Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

Oh, also, whats the go to recommendation for flight sims? I have Elite Dangerous, but thinking an aircraft sim.

IL-2 is the go-to for vr combat simming IMO. War thunder works, but the populated mode (arcade) is not that good in VR. DCS runs like poo poo on flat, runs worse in VR.

X-plane 11 has a beta build that supports VR natively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

PenisMonkey posted:

DCS and War Thunder have VR. I dunno if il2 does. I think xplane 11 has a mod for it.

The IL-2 Battle of [...] series supports SteamVR, at least.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

slidebite posted:

Oh, also, whats the go to recommendation for flight sims? I have Elite Dangerous, but thinking an aircraft sim.

IL-2 has VR, and it is absolutely gorgeous. The only problem is that you need to toggle the UI off, because the UI is a huge performance hog, but you need the UI to spot planes - So you need to bind a button on your joystick to toggle the UI and constantly turn it on and off. But other than that, it is probably the best looking and most immersive VR flight sim out there. It sounds and looks gorgeous. It absolutely makes you feel like you're strapped into a noisy and rattling airplane. Firing your guns is a visceral experience.

VTOL VR is fantastic. You fly using touch controls, and you need to fiddle with the various buttons and dials and screens in the cockpit. It is very early access right now, and lacks content, but the base mechanics of flying your near-future sci-fi airplane are good enough that I sank almost 20 hours into it.

DCS has VR, but the support is kind of limited right now. You can't really fly the full-modeled airplanes because there is no touch support, but they are planning on implementing it. You also won't be able to run it in VR without killing every graphics setting. The base game is free though and comes with a really fun plane, though, so worth checking out.

House of the Dying Sun isn't really a flight sim - It's a arcadey space dogfighting game, but totally worth checking out.

War Thunder has VR support but it is limited. It is fun to just fly or drive around, but there is no way to play the game in VR without severely handicapping yourself against other players.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

slidebite posted:

I own a Rift (actually have for months) but just now getting into it. When I use Steam VR, it keeps audio as my regular speakers. I have to override it to the rift handset. Likewise, when I turn off Steam and just use my PC it still keeps the Rift speakers as primary. I can obviously manually switch back and forth, but it's a pain in the butt. Is there a simple setting I'm missing?

Go into your SteamVR settings. In audio somewhere there is an option to switch default audio to a device of your choosing (Rift) and then another setting for what to switch to when you quit SteamVR (speakers). Be warned though that sometimes SteamVR doesn't switch back all the time if it gets closed in a weird way.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cojawfee posted:

Go into your SteamVR settings. In audio somewhere there is an option to switch default audio to a device of your choosing (Rift) and then another setting for what to switch to when you quit SteamVR (speakers). Be warned though that sometimes SteamVR doesn't switch back all the time if it gets closed in a weird way.

If you have sound issues after quitting VR you might find SoundSwitch useful, lives in your system tray and you can tell it which outputs to swith between with a hotkey:

https://jeroenpelgrims.com/updated-soundswitch/

I use it for my headphones & pc speakers and it works a treat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gort posted:

What's the deal with Soundboxing? I load the game, and a bunch of options are in front of me, but the actual game is behind me, over my right shoulder. Is there any way to re-centre the game so the game is in front of me? I'm on Rift and my sensors are on the desk in front of me - if I try just turning 135 degrees to my right then my body blocks one of them and my right hand stops working ingame.

PS: I am bad at finding VR options

It should be the default forward orientation you set for Steam VR when you setup Roomscale boundaries.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

slidebite posted:

What everybody else said plus don't waste your time with Eve: Valkyrie. It's aged terribly and is poo poo.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sex Robot posted:

What everybody else said plus don't waste your time with Eve: Valkyrie. It's aged terribly and is poo poo.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I was considering picking it up. How's Elite Dangerous?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Elite Dangerous is a wonderful sci-fi space flight and combat simulator, but as a game it's a bit poo poo - the only way to advance to big ships, if that's your thing, is doing monumental grinds, or exploiting game mechanics when the procedural generation does something silly.

I'd say it's worth buying if flying or shooting spaceships is your thing though, especially in VR. Also, definitely join up with diamond frogs unless you already have friends that play.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks folks :)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Jestery posted:

I posted this in the dad thread but I feel it is wholesome enough to post here too.

My father was a pilot most of my childhood but hasn't flown in nearly a decade , so I loaded him into a flight Sim I have hacked together and we had a great time flying his favourite plane and him talking me through the process of it all, checking flaps and trimming and stuff. Which of course he remembered like it was yesterday.

A more human story but still VR related
That's awesome. Lots of great human interest stories out there coming from VR. What was the flight sim?
(Also, link the thread you mentioned? I won't have seen it if it's in gbs 2.0 aka fyad-lite)

slidebite posted:

Hey all, read the OP and the last few pages and have a couple questions.

I own a Rift (actually have for months) but just now getting into it. When I use Steam VR, it keeps audio as my regular speakers. I have to override it to the rift handset. Likewise, when I turn off Steam and just use my PC it still keeps the Rift speakers as primary. I can obviously manually switch back and forth, but it's a pain in the butt. Is there a simple setting I'm missing?
In addition to the solutions above, google Oculus Tray Tool, it's a useful open source app that helps it manage your settings, including automatically switching audio when the Oculus service starts.

Audio switching is definitely a QOL issue that the VR companies/Microsoft haven't solved yet though.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Truga posted:

Elite Dangerous is a wonderful sci-fi space flight and combat simulator, but as a game it's a bit poo poo - the only way to advance to big ships, if that's your thing, is doing monumental grinds, or exploiting game mechanics when the procedural generation does something silly.

I'd say it's worth buying if flying or shooting spaceships is your thing though, especially in VR. Also, definitely join up with diamond frogs unless you already have friends that play.

Playing with friends is the absolute best way to play Elite.

I would say that for VR, it's phenomenal, but a new player probably wants to learn the very basics of flying on a flatscreen first. After you can dock and jump to other systems and use the galaxy map, then you can enter VR and be fairly proficient.

One great thing about Elite is how drat easy it is to swap between flatscreen and VR. There's a tiny app called ED Profiler by Dr. Kaii that makes it a one click process.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
SKSE for SkyrimVR is out!

http://skse.silverlock.org/

e: also if you haven't done this in SkyrimVR.ini with a Vive you should, makes menu navigation way better:

[VRWand]
fMinPulsesForFullSwipe=8.0000
fMaxPulsesForFullSwipe=8.0000

Unormal fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 22, 2018

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I should immediately point out to people that SKSE64 for VR is very much alpha and contains crashes (will crash your game if you switch weapons while you have a follower). Also, if your game gets patched by Bethesda, SKSE will stop working, making whatever mods relied on it stop working, which has a good chance of making your saved game stop working. And who knows when they will release a new version for the new SkyrimVR.exe. There are definitely going to be more updates to SkyrimVR so I would probably not use it yet.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition and a plug-in called FlyInside and it works great in VR. I tried the X-Plane demo but I couldn't get a good frame rate. With FlyInside FSX it's pretty good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have you tried it recently? You're on the Rift, right? They did an update a month or so ago that implemented the oculus SDK directly instead of using SteamVR's implementation. That improved performance a fair bit.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

El Grillo posted:

That's awesome. Lots of great human interest stories out there coming from VR. What was the flight sim?
(Also, link the thread you mentioned? I won't have seen it if it's in gbs 2.0 aka fyad-lite)
Using Microsoft FSX using the flyinside plugin.
It works pretty well and has a great community, but most importantly, it's cheap.

Thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699945&pagenumber=10&perpage=40

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Nalin posted:

I should immediately point out to people that SKSE64 for VR is very much alpha and contains crashes (will crash your game if you switch weapons while you have a follower). Also, if your game gets patched by Bethesda, SKSE will stop working, making whatever mods relied on it stop working, which has a good chance of making your saved game stop working. And who knows when they will release a new version for the new SkyrimVR.exe. There are definitely going to be more updates to SkyrimVR so I would probably not use it yet.

Thanks for the heads up, I got all excited and forgot not to jump in on alphas if I don't want to mess with stuff

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

In usual fashion, Skyrim modding goes from 0 to oh gently caress in a hurry. I need to go find that post some kind goon made a few days back. This stuff is a beautiful mess already and I'm going to need to clear my calendar for a weekend to get this going proper.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Just a free tech demo so far but Welcome to Light Fields is an impressive look at what you can do with a 360 stereoscopic capture rig:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/771310/Welcome_to_Light_Fields/

Be sure and take the Guided Tour.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

In usual fashion, Skyrim modding goes from 0 to oh gently caress in a hurry. I need to go find that post some kind goon made a few days back. This stuff is a beautiful mess already and I'm going to need to clear my calendar for a weekend to get this going proper.

Imo SkyrimVR needs a few ini file tweaks to be perfect: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/89dlbp/ini_tweak_megathread/

This ini tweaker makes it painless: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16242

For vive the most important is in SteamVR.ini, makes menu navigation very nice instead of jankmouseaccellerationbullshit >

[VRWand]
fMinPulsesForFullSwipe=8.0000
fMaxPulsesForFullSwipe=8.0000

You can make the weapons take more speed to actually trigger an attack >

[VRInput]
fShieldLinearVelocityThreshold=2.5000
fMeleeLinearVelocityThreshold=2.5000

And make the height slider have more range >

[VR]
fCharacterHeightMaximumOffset=20.0000

You should also set fullscreen: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/8ab0t4/found_that_using_full_screen_in_the/

.. and disable depth of field (because it's already real 3D so it doesn't need to be simulated)

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I spent the weekend with SkyrimVR and I gotta say, it's ok. Which is kind of damning it with faint praise but it worked with minimal fuss, I had fun playing Skyrim again after not playing since 2013 ( I had to go back to check ), but ultimately the VR is just a dressing, and I would have enjoyed my time just as much ( if not more ) playing with a monitor, without spending 16 hours inside my Rift and getting a sore neck ( For fun, try walking from Whiterun to Ivorstead ).
It's real cool and immersive walking through the various environments, first getting the hang of swinging & blocking, shooting arrows and shooting lightning from your hands, but then you start to notice the weird scaling of objects that frequently occurs, the lack of a proper physical presence and real interaction with stuff around you, the lack of dress up ( why even bother with the character creator at the beginning? ), the compression of the landscape that causes too many roads to have a greater than 75 degree incline, the dicking about so you can comfortably play while seated for extended periods..... and so on. I get it, at the end of the day it's just a port and not a built from the ground up game for VR, where these kind of complaints would be a lot more worrying, but I can't help but feel that the putting myself through the discomfort isn't really worth it, and I'm better off reinstalling vanilla Skyrim.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
For me, the announcement that Skyrim VR was coming out was what made me buy my Vive originally. And overall, I’m not disappointed.

I’ve seen plenty VR experiences that have a small core of heavily curated content, and those are pretty cool experiences that I can appreciate in their own way. I never really expected Skyrim to be like that. The Elder Scrolls series was never about ridiculous attention to detail, it was about doing the bare minimum and shoveling a ton of mediocre content into the game so you would never run out of things to do. In marketing speak you could say it “gave the world life,” and I don’t pretend that’s true, but Skyrim feels big in a way that I haven’t felt before in VR. That’s the exact feeling I have been seeking in a VR game for months, and I don’t care if it’s rough around the edges a bit. It actually feels pretty par for the course for Bethesda.

It’s another reason why this MMO talk has left me feeling like there’s a giant hole in current VR offerings where a good (or at least mediocre) MMO would go. As dated as it is, if somebody slapped a lovely VR UI on World of Warcraft (that’s really the only MMO I have a significant number of hours in, but something else would probably do), it would give me a “place” to go and meet up with my old friends who live across the country and abroad, where there was actually something to do and a cool theme.

I guess there might be some Minecraft mods and servers out there that could fit the bill. I gave that stuff a try a few years ago, but it always felt half-baked.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Jestery posted:

I posted this in the dad thread but I feel it is wholesome enough to post here too.

My father was a pilot most of my childhood but hasn't flown in nearly a decade , so I loaded him into a flight Sim I have hacked together and we had a great time flying his favourite plane and him talking me through the process of it all, checking flaps and trimming and stuff. Which of course he remembered like it was yesterday.

A more human story but still VR related

Those shorts are powerful

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
You used to be able to play FFXI in first person, nobody did though cus why the gently caress would you. Someone should slap a VR mod on that poo poo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Gay Bean posted:

It’s another reason why this MMO talk has left me feeling like there’s a giant hole in current VR offerings where a good (or at least mediocre) MMO would go. As dated as it is, if somebody slapped a lovely VR UI on World of Warcraft (that’s really the only MMO I have a significant number of hours in, but something else would probably do), it would give me a “place” to go and meet up with my old friends who live across the country and abroad, where there was actually something to do and a cool theme.

WoW had really good support for Nvidia 3DVision, would be cool if you could get that working in VR somehow.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

CodfishCartographer posted:

You used to be able to play FFXI in first person, nobody did though cus why the gently caress would you. Someone should slap a VR mod on that poo poo.

There's actually a lot of FFXI maps in vrchat. I guess there's a community, I recognized a map maker name from BG. It doesn't really click in FFXI that the crab you're fighting is a shoulder-high 600lb monstrosity, it's just 200 exp in a shell. Seeing it to scale in VR is actually great.

FFXI would suck in VR gameplay-wise though. Guild Wars 2 or an action combat one would be better. Probably not ESO though, since the zones are everywhere and dodging them would be oppressively difficult.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, you fuckers; Why did you all fail to mention that Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades has a Gunkata training mode. Complete with Cleric handguns. :stwoon::fh:

I feel critical information was held back here, and I am disappointed in all of you.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, you fuckers; Why did you all fail to mention that Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades has a Gunkata training mode. Complete with Cleric handguns. :stwoon::fh:

I feel critical information was held back here, and I am disappointed in all of you.

Wait what?

*makes plans to try H3 again tonight...*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wolrah posted:

Wait what?

*makes plans to try H3 again tonight...*

Go into the M.E.A.T. trainer on the right-hand side. Spray-and-pray. Cleric Training. Cleric handguns are under Machine Pistols, first gun on the list.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CodfishCartographer posted:

I hacked together lovely vr for ff14 by using some 3rd party plugin that makes games SBS 3D, and binding my head to mouse movement, and it was an experience alright. If they patched ff14 to support 3d propely (so the UI is at the correct depth and the FOV makes sense for VR) I'd probably never unplug again.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I've compiled the various posts about mods for Skyrim VR into a single document. There is probably overlap between the various posts; I made no effort to edit these or check for duplicates. I hope that it is useful to people who own Skyrim VR (and to me whenever I finally get around to buying it).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FkgB0dLhilBDENAZ4wtsq--jMHB6scEHKzNJ0jPx2fo/edit

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Grundulum posted:

I've compiled the various posts about mods for Skyrim VR into a single document. There is probably overlap between the various posts; I made no effort to edit these or check for duplicates. I hope that it is useful to people who own Skyrim VR (and to me whenever I finally get around to buying it).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FkgB0dLhilBDENAZ4wtsq--jMHB6scEHKzNJ0jPx2fo/edit

Some of that stuff is a little outdated now. I would recommend you pull from this post of mine instead:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=483248986

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Nalin posted:

Some of that stuff is a little outdated now. I would recommend you pull from this post of mine instead:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=483248986

EDIT: never mind

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Doom VFR is so good, wow. First game I've really, really been impressed with in VR since Superhot. Vive Pro arrived today, so I'm trying everything all over again. Did Fallout ever get patched to decent support? Is Skyrim a better port or does it suffer from the same problems?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Skyrim VR is what they should have done to Fallout in the first place. It's extremely good

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Are there any problems with the Rift atm? My headset isn't turning itself on for some reason. The Oculus program says everything is fine, everything was fine like a week or so ago and nothing has changed on my system in the meantime afaik.

Is the headset supposed to show up in the Device Manager? It's not there anymore if so.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

Are there any problems with the Rift atm? My headset isn't turning itself on for some reason. The Oculus program says everything is fine, everything was fine like a week or so ago and nothing has changed on my system in the meantime afaik.

Is the headset supposed to show up in the Device Manager? It's not there anymore if so.
This happens to me sometimes but fixes when I either reboot or unplug and plug it back in (both the usb and hdmi)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Bhodi posted:

This happens to me sometimes but fixes when I either reboot or unplug and plug it back in (both the usb and hdmi)

It was my nvidia drivers, preformed a clean install and everything is normal again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

It was my nvidia drivers, preformed a clean install and everything is normal again.

:toot:

Anyone who hasn't jumped on the skyrimvr bandwagon might want to hold off a bit, now that SKSE works people are working on a vr version of skyui is soon to follow and I'd expect lots of things to flow from this, everything from pinning those wandering health/stamina/magicka bars to gesture casting to a inventory quick-equip through a toolbelt or something similar.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 23, 2018