Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Poor birds. :(

I accidentally left my keets cage open one night a few months ago. He must've been sleeping on the door or something because at three in the morning I was woken up to a stressed bird flying in the dark... He had a bunch of pin feathers coming in and the ceiling is that godawful jagged stucco. He was okay and I let him have his favorite bell to cheer him up (I have to hide this bell otherwise bc he loves it so much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

I've read a ton of articles today echoing the light, but more than half said to try leaving the cage cover off one wall.

No idea if it's good advice or bad.

Yeah, birds are weird. Some do well having their vision blocked, others do well being able to see. :shrug:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
My father is very concerned for Serra the cockatiel because she has been resting all drat day. But she is eating and gets out when I open the door - I'm just going to assume being awake all night might make her just a tiny bit tired.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

With both Scout and Spencer we have two sheets that cover their cages for night time. The first is a white sheet, and the second is a dark sheet (Scout's is navy blue, and Spencer's is dark brown.) We cover the cages entirely with the white sheet, and then drape the dark sheets over the top, front, and sides of the cages. This lets some light in the back of the cages and both birds seem to respond very well to this situation. No problems with going to bed and I don't recall any instances of night terrors. I have heard them silently peeping (Scout) and honking (Spencer) in their sleep and let me tell you listening to birds dreaming is loving adorable. Makes my Grinch-like heart grow two sizes every time.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Cricket gets covered up with a full cage cover light sheet for summer, and then that gets added to with 2 towels to keep the heat in winter cos its cold here. It covers all 4 walls.

Occasionally I will just put the towels over her cage,(depends on how dark it is in the room cos we have her in the computer room with us) and they hand down about 3/4 of the way over the cage, leaving the bottom 1/4 open so she gets air etc. There have been a few times when we have been late putting her to bed, and she will flap over and reach up to tug the front towel down to cover the cage and yell NIGHT NIGHT SWEET BIRDIE DREAMS for a good 5 mins or so before she quiets down. She definitely has a bedtime and heaven help you if you don't get her ready by then.

We have an aromatherapy cold diffuser that we use with no scent in it that lights up and changes colors, and we run it from morning till it turns itself off. She likes the little light it has and I think she uses it as a nightlight. The vet said to keep a humidifier going in here for her, and when we asked she said that the cold diffuser works just as well. So, at night when we go to bed, she has her little nightlight that turns itself off automatically....so no night frights or anything other than her wanting "kiss kiss" again.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 21, 2018

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/KAKITAN/status/986966606751281153

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What kind of bird is that

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
A knight obviously

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Sir Bitey the Loud

(it's a barred parakeet I think)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
OP says they are barred parakeets in the comments. What good birds :kimchi:

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Disco Salmon posted:

Cricket gets covered up with a full cage cover light sheet for summer, and then that gets added to with 2 towels to keep the heat in winter cos its cold here. It covers all 4 walls.

Occasionally I will just put the towels over her cage,(depends on how dark it is in the room cos we have her in the computer room with us) and they hand down about 3/4 of the way over the cage, leaving the bottom 1/4 open so she gets air etc. There have been a few times when we have been late putting her to bed, and she will flap over and reach up to tug the front towel down to cover the cage and yell NIGHT NIGHT SWEET BIRDIE DREAMS for a good 5 mins or so before she quiets down. She definitely has a bedtime and heaven help you if you don't get her ready by then.

We have an aromatherapy cold diffuser that we use with no scent in it that lights up and changes colors, and we run it from morning till it turns itself off. She likes the little light it has and I think she uses it as a nightlight. The vet said to keep a humidifier going in here for her, and when we asked she said that the cold diffuser works just as well. So, at night when we go to bed, she has her little nightlight that turns itself off automatically....so no night frights or anything other than her wanting "kiss kiss" again.

That's the most adorable thing I think I've ever read :3:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

OP says they are barred parakeets in the comments. What good birds :kimchi:

dear little fluffs

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Beelerzebub posted:

That's the most adorable thing I think I've ever read :3:

seriously she LOVES yelling out "Sweet Birdie Dreams" all day every day usually when she is about to take a nap, or getting tired, or ready for bed...I don't know why she loves it so but she does. She even says it to the kitties if she sees they are sleeping or in their catbeds. I think she knows the meaning or context but not sure. I have noticed that she says it when we go away from home to the vet or someplace she is unsure about, so it might be a "back in my cage please" or a "take me HOME" thing too...not real sure.

She also loves to say anything pertaining to food lol

Her newest thing is when we go in to check dinner and makes a sniffing sound then says "That smells gooooooood!" She learned that from my husband. She is so so so funny...makes me <3 her every day

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 22, 2018

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Charging solar cells...

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

Charging solar cells...

... and pinging the mother ship with head antenna: "Humans may live another 24 hours."

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Guys, I found another one:

I wish I had room for her, because I miss having a broken sass cloud.

One more year.

E: They also had a bin of baby tiels, it was a ridiculous cacophony of dinosaur noises and my girls going "awwww" and snuggling as many as possible at once.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 23, 2018

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Here's a griddle dump for your monday

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifQgWOBTLnQ

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I haven't raised a juvenile cockatiel since I was seven, so I have a question -

Ms. Serra has her wings clipped, as I know cockatiels are super aggressive flyers. But she is a clumsy little thing. When she accidentally falls, she has no idea about spreading her wings to soften her landing. She bonks off the floor harder than I'm comfortable with.

Is that normal for a young bird to still be pretty derp'ed out about flying? This bird is ten months old.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Normally you won't clip a young birds wings until their a competent flier because those sort of instincts have to be learned in their developmentary period. You then can clip them after that. Some birds who are clipped young will never learn to fly. So I would say it's normal for young clipped birds, but isn't the best thing. Let her grow out her feathers and deal with the all the extra problems/dangers associated with a flighted bird for a few months before clipping her again, so she can learn.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Agent355 posted:

Normally you won't clip a young birds wings until their a competent flier because those sort of instincts have to be learned in their developmentary period. You then can clip them after that. Some birds who are clipped young will never learn to fly. So I would say it's normal for young clipped birds, but isn't the best thing. Let her grow out her feathers and deal with the all the extra problems/dangers associated with a flighted bird for a few months before clipping her again, so she can learn.

Follow up question - She got clipped because she was an insanely good flier. But being young, she would occasionally misjudge a landing and slam into something.

Would your good advice still apply? I can deal with a flying doofus for a few months. :)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah probably. I'm no expert I just read a bunch of books. I'd probably just deal with an obnoxious flier for as long as your comfortable with and then try a clip again.

E: it could also just be too severe of a clip.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 23, 2018

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Agent355 posted:

I adopted one of my English budgies when she was about a year old - she'd always been clipped and she never learned to fly. It's so sad whenever her mate takes off and flies around and she just sits there, waving her wings and occasionally flapping wildly to the ground.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Captain Log posted:

I haven't raised a juvenile cockatiel since I was seven, so I have a question -

Ms. Serra has her wings clipped, as I know cockatiels are super aggressive flyers. But she is a clumsy little thing. When she accidentally falls, she has no idea about spreading her wings to soften her landing. She bonks off the floor harder than I'm comfortable with.

Is that normal for a young bird to still be pretty derp'ed out about flying? This bird is ten months old.

completely normal

skillet broke off all his tail feathers when we brought him home, he was a completely incompetent flyer, especially after his first couple of clips. he is incredibly good at flying, but it took him a while (probably a year or more) to really figure out the whole "don't crash into the ground" part of landing while clipped

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Mirthless posted:

completely normal

skillet broke off all his tail feathers when we brought him home, he was a completely incompetent flyer, especially after his first couple of clips. he is incredibly good at flying, but it took him a while (probably a year or more) to really figure out the whole "don't crash into the ground" part of landing while clipped

Baaaaaaw lookit that little chicken!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

completely normal

Baby tiel face eeeeeee :3:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Agent355 posted:

Scout does not fly because her wings were clipped when she was young. She can fly if startled but she is not comfortable with it nor is she very good at it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera has came to me clipped as a baby but I basically just let them grow our and he's a very competent flyer now. But yeah, he was very clumsy for over a year. I used to trim just the outer two or three feathers of his wings. That's not enough to keep him on the ground, but it effectively slowed him down enough to keep him from hitting something too hard.

Ozzy came to me clipped (still is) and also I'm not sure he knew what flying even was, which is tragic for an adult bird, but he's been trying really hard. I think he watches Sera. He face-planted a lot before he worked out how to land, and has graduated to short horizontal-then-down flights. He can get halfway across the room now!

But he needs help up from the floor.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

clipped birds are so much easier to care for and less likely to hurt themselves, but it's sad when adult birds don't have any idea how to fly and can't even effectively save themselves from falls. :(

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Agent355 posted:

clipped birds are so much easier to care for and less likely to hurt themselves, but it's sad when adult birds don't have any idea how to fly and can't even effectively save themselves from falls. :(

Right? When Ozzy came to me, he'd flap his wings when he fell, because I guess that much is instinct, but he basically dropped like a stone. I'm pretty sure his flight muscles were completely atrophied. Poor guy spent his entire previous life stuffed in a cage, I guess. I get so angry sometimes at his previous owner, whoever they were. But I remember the way he put his head up the first time Sera flew past him to my shoulder, like a total "holy poo poo you can do that" moment. I think if he manages actual flight at any point in his life, he'll be quite pleased. He's very nervous about being picked up, but also does occasionally want to go places, and these two feelings are very conflicting for him, I think. Some mornings it takes him a while to warm up to "if I want to sit with Mom while she drinks her coffee, then I have to let her pick me up and carry me there."

Meanwhile, Sera is impossible and does these hover-briefly-in-midair-and-change-direction maneuvers which just baffle and impress and frustrate me. He's too good! No one told me tiels could hover!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton has a vet visit scheduled because her grody bird butt hasn't stopped being swollen up after her last egg laying bout (she produced three Easter miracles) and she's been quieter (read: less of an absolute poo poo).

She's eating well and flying/climbing/shrieking well but I know birds are good at hiding illness and injury so she's going to get checked anyway. And I know from chickens that the egg-making and egg-pooping apparati in birds are prone to loving up bad so better to be safe than sorry.

Stay safe murderbird.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

RoboRodent posted:

Meanwhile, Sera is impossible and does these hover-briefly-in-midair-and-change-direction maneuvers which just baffle and impress and frustrate me. He's too good! No one told me tiels could hover!

My dad’s tiel was clipped but was so desperate to be around him that she’d effectively brute force her way through the air, a near constant hover across an entire room.

My sister’s budgie did the same, but through pure fury.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Budgies latest trick involves perching on my nose and pecking my eyes.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Budgies latest trick involves perching on my nose and pecking my eyes.

There is no terror quite like that of a bird investigating your eyelashes suddenly. You know in your heart you have to stay still, but there is a big giant beak right next to your precious eyeball.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Nicky remembers flying, but rarely tries to since she can't now. She does get a few good flaps in to make pretty long leaps though. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if her flight muscles are very weak. On the plus side, she is 100% feeling normal and a big ol floofy sassy bird again. What was once a 1x2cm hole completely through her skin on her chest is now a tiny surface scab smaller then a pencil eraser. I'm thinking she'll be scab free and out of her vest/scarf combo in under a month, after about 4 1/2 months in it. All of the feathers that fell out from being matted with blood have grown back in and are fanning out. It's a miracle she never bled to death or got infected, and it's so good to have her back to her old self.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

DarkHorse posted:

My dad’s tiel was clipped but was so desperate to be around him that she’d effectively brute force her way through the air, a near constant hover across an entire room.

My sister’s budgie did the same, but through pure fury.

budgies are the birds most resistant to being turned into stones it would seem

i'll give boo a full clip and he'll fly to the ceiling just to spite me

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Cricket was flighted first as a baby, and when she was ready to come home with us at about 10-11 weeks, she got clipped. We have been toying with the idea of letting her wings grow out, but when we do, she suddenly get a major conure-tude and starts going after everyone. Especially the cats... if she even gets a chance to dive bomb them she will. After watching her zoom around the house earlier doing aeronautic tricks and swooping down on any and all cats she can get to, we have decided she is getting a spa day Friday and getting her wings trimmed and nails done. I like the idea of her doing bird things, but the intentionally going after the cats when she gets the slightest chance gets me very nervous. I'd rather have her not doing screaming fly-bys to Finn if that is at all possible.

I wish i could get her to understand that if she DIDNT go after the cats she could keep her flight feathers, but its just not safe for her :( Shes going to be so mad at me Friday :(

EDIT: And....there she goes again doing laps and looking for the sleeping cats or any unattended foods :( Such a troublemaker!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Our parakeets had more obvious moments of spite than any other animal, including man, that I've ever seen.

there is definitely a deep-seated kernel of "oh no, gently caress you " buried not so deep in every budgerigar.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

Our parakeets had more obvious moments of spite than any other animal, including man, that I've ever seen.

there is definitely a deep-seated kernel of "oh no, gently caress you " buried not so deep in every budgerigar.

I find that to only be true of the females.

My father calls our current female parakeet the, "Ball of Scorn" from the look she always gives everything.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
In other news both Crouton and Galbedir are doing a moult. Feather explosions everywhere and my ears are super itchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug