Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I love that surly blue fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Yeah this game is loving amazing. Everything about it. I'm a sucker for hype and usually come away deflated but this has lived up to it already, and I've barely scratched the surface.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man this game is cool but my PS4 sounds like it's going to take off into orbit.

esperterra posted:

My slim has been so quiet for p much everything I've played on it, this included. Are you noisy bros on Pros or launch PS4s?

Mine's launch. I think the last game that was this noisy was Bloodborne? Uncharted 4 and Horizon were both fine.

stev fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 22, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My slim has been so quiet for p much everything I've played on it, this included. Are you noisy bros on Pros or launch PS4s?

Granted everything is quiet compared to the jet engine my launch PS3 turns into even watching blu rays.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My regular PS4 doesn't get loud at all

Are there any big side quests I missed before Alfheim? Or am I all basically in the prologue? How is this game so huge

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yes there are side quests all over before alfheim. One of them is huge and took me like 2 hours.

You'll be able to do them later though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This game doesn't have anything you can really get locked out of, does it? Thinking bout doing some sidequest rounds but I also just want to power through the story for the most part and come back for 'em later.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Yes there are side quests all over before alfheim. One of them is huge and took me like 2 hours.

You'll be able to do them later though.

Where the blue hell was that??? I sailed everywhere and the only thing I found was the island spirits

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just unlocked the gates to Muspelheim, holy crap this game is gigantic and the world design is consistenly impressive. I don't know if you could describe a game as "expensive looking" but GoW is definitely it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So I beat the light elf world, or hosed it up massively not really sure, I left BOY and Beardo McMurderman at the beginning of being inside a mountain. Game is pretty much everything I expected and more. Finally getting the hang of upgrading enchantments playing around with those stats and BOY's abilities.

Christ that segment in the light and the implications on what the bifrost may actually be. :wtc: Also I stupidly decided to punch those black holes that pulsate and got myself into a fight with two very angry and fast heavy enemies about two levels higher than me. That was tense. But fun as poo poo to rage out and beat them to pulp with my fists, and catch them with that heavy attack, Executioner Swing totally sicknasty awesome,

I want to either start working on mist armor, or fight more ancients and build armor from their cold rocky carcasses. :black101: I've been rocking the maxed out Boar chest piece for a while now and selling the generic poo poo I've been coming across. I wish the system would have gone full Skyrim/Diablo and let you break crappy stuff down for ingredients. But monies is nice too. I really really like how it's just one item you need to upgrade the damage on your axe and then figure out how to put it to good use hacking poo poo away to get more good armor poo poo.

The luck stat, is that just to help in scoring better loot? Or does it influence other stuff as well. I'm kinda going for a strength, defense, vitality, luck focus . I currently don't give a poo poo about Runics or cooldowns.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Luck increases rewards and also increases the likelihood of a perk activating.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is loot random now? I'm only in Alfheim and already have 7 of the 9 apples. Yet I've only found 2 of the mead horns.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

My wife has been watching me play this and is now addressing our dog as BOY in as deep a voice as she can muster. GOTY

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

precision posted:

Is loot random now? I'm only in Alfheim and already have 7 of the 9 apples. Yet I've only found 2 of the mead horns.

There's a finite amount of 'loot' as in specific items like the ones you mentioned, but things like exp and money are (from what i can tell) a bit random.

I think there's a finite number of enemies in the game too because nothing respawns unless it's scripted to. In theory this means there isn't going to be a place to farm exp/money but also that there shouldn't need to be and you can upgrade/buy everything.

It's pretty unclear to be honest and makes it hard to tell whether i should sink money/exp into one thing or another.

I've only just blown the horn and it feels like i've been playing for ages but that there's still multiple worlds to explore so maybe by the end of the game you're swimming in so much money/exp that it really doesn't matter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dark elves can eat a dick

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Could Kratos be even more emo about not being emotional?

"Can't show that I love my son" *dramatically reaches out his shaking hand*

"Can't show that I care" *actually shows all emotions by staring depressingly into the horizon, being all grumpy and taking his time to breath heavily into a door*

Anyways, the game is good.

TomVanDam
Apr 25, 2010
Aside from my Pro sounding like it’s going to fly out of my house the game is crazy good. Took me a while to get comfortable with the combat on hard but now I’m wrecking fools. Also the story telling in this is outstanding. Smoke and play this game basically is my point.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
People with Pros need to take some compressed air to the vents because my pro is quiet as a whisper

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Calaveron posted:

People with Pros need to take some compressed air to the vents because my pro is quiet as a whisper

I'm pretty sure quite a few of them have botched thermal paste jobs.
Just out of interest, is yours in a vertical or horizontal position?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If you're having trouble with ringinh the bells for RUNE CHESTS

THROW AXE BEHIND BELL ONE

CASUALLY LINE UP NEXT SHOT

CALL AXE BACK TO YOU TO START

I swear, this is the easiest puzzle in the history of video games and every page someone complains about it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Media Bloodbath posted:

I'm pretty sure quite a few of them have botched thermal paste jobs.
Just out of interest, is yours in a vertical or horizontal position?

Horizontal

WildChyld
Dec 20, 2003
Entirely too metal for one hand: \mm/
i’m officially throwing in the towel with this “give me god of war” difficulty. it is beyond brutal and i can’t keep grinding at it anymore. i thought it would have gotten easier as the game opens up but it appears to become even more difficult. it’s killing the pace of the game for me. time to start over. i am a broken man ...

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I really want an endless mode of combat where it just gradually ranks up the difficulty every level. I think at least one of the previous God if War games had something similar with a 100 floor challenge.

The combat is so much fun when it clicks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

One of the unlockable realms is basically a glorified monster arena so you'll get your wish.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Also mods I've made up my mind for the subtitle itt and it should be God of War: About a BOY please rename.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I thought about going back to bed this afternoon but uhhhh no it’s time to eat some lunch and jump into this beautiful game.

exquisite tea posted:

I can't wait until someone puts out a GoW highlight reel because as cool as Kratos looks in combat to me, I believe a more skilled gamer than I could make it all flow masterfully.

I’m not usually into speed runs but watching really good players blast through GMGOW difficulty is going to be absolutely bonkers.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If you're having trouble with ringinh the bells for RUNE CHESTS

THROW AXE BEHIND BELL ONE

CASUALLY LINE UP NEXT SHOT

CALL AXE BACK TO YOU TO START

I swear, this is the easiest puzzle in the history of video games and every page someone complains about it.

Except for the multitude of these where you can't do that.

edit: has anyone actually finished the game yet? If so, how long did it take you?

After i blew the horn i kinda went on a scavanging tour which has taken ages.

Though i think i'm gonna just hold off on any more adhoc exploration now until i unlock all of the abilities. Coming back to some of these places for the third time is gonna get grating.

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 22, 2018

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Anybody know what "nista" means? Atreus likes to yell it when he's pincushioning fools with his bow.

Also I played about 5 hours and it's pretty fantastic. As fun as the first fight against the Stranger was I felt it went on maaaybe a few minutes to long, but that's pretty minor. I can't believe I'm playing a big budget story driven single player game in 2018...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

There's gotta be some trickery going on with these 7 realms or this game is enormous in length. I've only done Alfheim and I'm probably 10+ hours in. Although I have done pretty much all the side stuff I can find.

I think the "30 hours" sentiment from reviewers is probably more like 50+ with sidequests and if you play on a difficulty that isn't Easy. But yeah I'm at the realms selection place and I still haven't even unlocked the Magic tier of the Skills selection so I was wondering "holy hell how far am I even? 30 percent or 10 percent into this?"

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

WildChyld posted:

i’m officially throwing in the towel with this “give me god of war” difficulty. it is beyond brutal and i can’t keep grinding at it anymore. i thought it would have gotten easier as the game opens up but it appears to become even more difficult. it’s killing the pace of the game for me. time to start over. i am a broken man ...

You don't need to start over, you can change the difficulty in-game at any time.

Also, going into the mountain is extremely my poo poo. I love the mix of exploration and fighting they're doing. The level design is fun as hell.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Philthy posted:

You don't need to start over, you can change the difficulty in-game at any time.

That's only true for the first three difficulties from what I've read so far.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God drat you dark elf svartlefuck boss. Even on normal some even these difficulty spikes are :psyduck: because I hated everything Soulsborne.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Badly Jester posted:

That's only true for the first three difficulties from what I've read so far.

It's okay, the last difficulty is so much fun you'll never want to change it! Why just play God hand when you could play God Hand on die difficulty with a kick me sign where every enemy turns into a demon if you don't kill it in 5 seconds?

Noirex
May 30, 2006

The 2nd boss fight is just mental, are all GoW boss fights this amazing? It's my first time playing GoW and although I get a little lost by some references, this game is phenomenal and a must buy even if you're a first timer like me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

Where the blue hell was that??? I sailed everywhere and the only thing I found was the island spirits

Beyond the big gate in the water (theres 2 statues next to it) there is a second lake and there is some pretty substantial side content there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Kinda wish I knew ancient Nordic runelanguage so I understood what the hell the enemies are barking at me

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
BOY! You can't just ask people why they aren't blue!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Noirex posted:

The 2nd boss fight is just mental, are all GoW boss fights this amazing? It's my first time playing GoW and although I get a little lost by some references, this game is phenomenal and a must buy even if you're a first timer like me.

Yup that’s pretty much the GoW “thing”. Insane set pieces and epic battles against gods and monsters. It would be a little rough going back but I think it’s worth grabbing GoW 3 later on if you want a taste of the old games. They’re super fun but you’ll be amazed how much they improved Kratos and the entire story.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
I'm actually more than a little surprised so many people skipped over the original series to jump in here.

Mostly because:

The story pay offs for things like Kratos dealing with his past with Zeus in Hel and him talking to Athena again. It was kind of amazing seeing the GoW3 Kratos show up and then it fully goes into the end sequence from GoW3 before Atreius pulls you out.

I gotta feel like without that context some of the bigger moments don't hit quite as hard but are still cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Dad of War: Boomeraxe... Boy