Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MilesK posted:

This is radically different from the idea I proposed. If you come anywhere near a Xi'an star system my cat shelter guild will be forced to shoot you down with our massive fleet all equipped with $40 missiles.

Hunting and trading, killing them all off to trade, the atrocities will never stop with procedural wildlife!

You should ask CR that if you kill all of the wildlife on a planet, would they just non-fidelitously "respawn" or would they be gone forever because their complex AI requires them to mate before new versions can be added to the game.

This respawn vs. mating could be a game changer!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Picture an asteroid, crashing through the ozone and mere seconds away from destroying a planet.

That's your logo.

Oh, and the name?

Extinction Level Event

:grin:

You are the best Derek alt! I can only hope to achieve your level of enlightenment some day, friend! :grin: :same: ^this

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

The Titanic posted:

And yet according to their metrics this group still manages to successfully support an entire multinational corporation. I'm not sure if that adds up either, but I've been wrong lots of times before.

It seems, to me, that there aren't enough ship purchases and other stuff possible to constantly buy to keep everything afloat unless these guys are just buying and gifting. But I don't see any of them as coming off as being giving or philanthropists types, so that model wouldn't work.

Ideally the only way we may ever know how this is functioning is if CryTek gets it to public record during discovery or the trial. I can wrap my head around everything at CIG, including the gross mismanagement, but for the life of me I can't figure out the income methods allowing them to keep the doors open.

Yeah I have a hard time understanding this as well. My only guess is they don't have +400 employees, like Beet said in the ARG pilot. They probably have skeleton crews at Austin and LA, in total I would say less than 200.

And for the income, maybe their funding chart doesn't account for external investors and they have more than 180+ million.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

someone explain madoff quote to me

MoMa pointed out that SC couldn't be a scam because nobody held a gun to the head of the Pledgers, ignoring a fine tradition of scams where the victims begged the Scammer to take their money, Penny Stocks and Reverse mortgages.

Scam 101 - The victim always thinks it's their idea and they're going to make out like bandits in the end.

JugbandDude posted:

Yeah I have a hard time understanding this as well. My only guess is they don't have +400 employees, like Beet said in the ARG pilot. They probably have skeleton crews at Austin and LA, in total I would say less than 200.

And for the income, maybe their funding chart doesn't account for external investors and they have more than 180+ million.

I've been tempted to start checking out those group photos to figure out roughly how many people ARE employed, rather than just adding on all the developers from people you have 'contracts' with, but I'd attract an Arf Jason or two and am lazy.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 22, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is moma still at it

like are they just being a wrestling heel at this point

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Chris Roberts pilot AI at work

https://clips.twitch.tv/ColorfulExcitedCrabsTTours

Just look at all that fidelity, the enemy pilot must have been pre-occupied thinking about what he had to do for chores when he got off shift

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

JugbandDude posted:

External investors, money laundering, tomato, tomahto. (That's a joke, I have no reason to think that there's money laundering going on.)

Do the U.K. public filings include just the U.K.-based employees, or the employees at all sites?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Blue On Blue posted:

Just look at all that fidelity, the enemy pilot must have been pre-occupied thinking about what he had to do for chores when he got off shift

Yep, the 9 million (well now 18 million NPCs since we are at 2 million backers) will have subsumption and their own things to attend to.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

The world is a vampire, sent to potentially wasted SC's funds by forcing long, drawn out litigation and thus leading to a halt of the project.
Secret destroyers, hold you up to the flames.
And what do I get, for my pain?
Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

JugbandDude posted:

It's creative accounting. I occasionally work with a company that boasts 24/7 technical teams numbering in the hundreds, but whenever I'm dealing with them I keep hearing the same few names. Turns out the company had some of their software hosted in different datacenters, so they added the entire staff count of each datacenter as part of their "team" count.

The actual count of employees in the company proper? Fewer than 20.

I'm not suggesting CIG has a count that low, but the only reason to throw around how many people you have employed is when you're trying to convince someone of something. Since there's no game, and what they've released is hot poo poo, all they have left is to throw numbers at people. "Great progress! Not a scam! 400 people! 5 studios!" and all that horseshit. Most people know that a real team of actual game developers can release a far superior game with a fraction of a fraction of that team size, but their rhetoric still fools people, like MoMA and those at his cognitive level and below.

You can bet that they're counting every single warm body toward their much-touted 400 count. Caterer? Cleaning crew? "Artists?" Geek-Squad level "IT" guys who replace mice for the desk jockeys? Your 150 refund-denying internet-scouring forum-shilling minimum wage scrubs in "customer service?" It doesn't take long to hit that number. 400 is not that high at all, when you think about it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Blue On Blue posted:

Or he was trying to activate the Last Starfighter Death Blossom, but soon realized he was in a shitter game

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue On Blue posted:

Looks like they took the AI code from Elite Dangerous 2.x!

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

The Titanic posted:

And yet according to their metrics this group still manages to successfully support an entire multinational corporation. I'm not sure if that adds up either, but I've been wrong lots of times before.

It seems, to me, that there aren't enough ship purchases and other stuff possible to constantly buy to keep everything afloat unless these guys are just buying and gifting. But I don't see any of them as coming off as being giving or philanthropists types, so that model wouldn't work.

Ideally the only way we may ever know how this is functioning is if CryTek gets it to public record during discovery or the trial. I can wrap my head around everything at CIG, including the gross mismanagement, but for the life of me I can't figure out the income methods allowing them to keep the doors open.

Philanthropist/full on rapist, it's a thin line.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Remember when the citizen's running story was that Chris/Ortwin are master financial wizards who had cracked the code, and were actually using all the backer funds to invest in the forex market and NOT lose everything?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
REDDIT: 3.1.3 is out, Roadmap updates 24/7 yet we don’t have the new weapons

“I love the Devs and all the people working on the project but...”

It’s okay, man. It’s okay... Yes, they checked the box as complete and yet you can’t find them in the game. Yes, that’s confusing and deceptive. But it’s okay...

They lied about releasing a Squadron Roadmap, too...

The backer “3.2 feature poll” was just a gaslighting exercise to create the illusion of backer-driven development priorities. (And no, this isn’t goon :tinfoil:, loyal streamer Mitauchi said the very same last night...) In reality, Chris was just using it to further reduce scope on an already reduced scope and he wanted a means to make the community go Lord of the Flies on itself not him for the downsizing later...

The Roadmap is there to make you think it’s there, think it really matters, and think you can have some impact on shaping it. When it’s right you’ll be so grateful for the improved communication effort on CIG’s part. When it’s wrong, it’s your fault because “you don’t understand game development” and “it’s Alpha!”

But it’s okay, man. It’s okay...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The implication that there's a lawsuit thread stickied out of some nefarious desire to promote someone else's lawsuit, as opposed to it being stickied because the mods were sick and tired of playing whack-a-mole with the 35 lawsuit threads that pop up every time Pacer refreshes is very amusing to me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's a good thing when the most eventful thing happening in a game that's been under development for nearly seven years is a lawsuit about the engine. Especially for someone who has been following development from the beginning, since the product itself became stale about two years ago.

Hey Chris was right about something!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

JugbandDude posted:

It's tough. Even if I bought a $200 ship every single week, that's not even one persons salary after deductions. And assuming I'm dumb enough to buy a $200 dollar ship every single week just because is equally stupid to assume from every single person.

My biggest thing about this project has always been the seemingly unanswered fact of where is the money coming from.

Sure we see those daily spikes (at least we used to) of somebody randomly buying that completionist package. But there was never any an associated post or new grand admiral guy or whatever they call themselves coming out to circle jerk themselves with it.

This free fly weekend tells a pretty good story. The twitch views tell a pretty good story. This thread probably has more people viewing it than people actively trying to play the game.

It doesn't, to me, look like nearly enough interest to be able to support even a single 10 person indie studio, much less a multinational corporeal with multiple locations and even greater than, let's say, 200 people and a bunch of outsource devs.

Where's the money coming in from? Hopefully CryTek will figure it out, I guess.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/986967408815558656
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/986968349149196289
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/987825976615817218

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I hate him.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

It’s okay, man. It’s okay... Yes, they checked the box as complete and yet you can’t find them in the game. Yes, that’s confusing and deceptive. But it’s okay...

The backer “3.2 feature poll” was just a gaslighting exercise to create the illusion of backer-driven development priorities. (And no, this isn’t goon :tinfoil:, loyal streamer Mitauchi said the very same last night...) In reality, Chris was just using it to further reduce scope on an already reduced scope and he wanted a means to make the community go Lord of the Flies on itself not him for the downsizing later...

The Roadmap is there to make you think it’s there, think it really matters, and think you can have some impact on shaping it. When it’s right you’ll be so grateful for the improved communication effort on CIG’s part. When it’s wrong, it’s your fault because “you don’t understand game development” and “it’s Alpha!”

Haha, funny how you always have to put in the disclaimer on that sub if you want to try and avoid the cultists insulting you.

quote:

Ps. I love the Devs and all people working in the project, i just think that clear and stable data are not flowing in the proper way

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Best marketing slide to date!

BUT HAVE YOU SEEN THE LATEST PAMPHLET FROM RSI INDUSTRIES!

Also how can a marketing tweet ever be the best ever, it's literally just 'but our product is better, because we made the graph show it as such'

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

The Titanic posted:

:words:

Come, I will conceal nothing from you...

My own personal :tinfoil: theory is that CIG/RSI/whoever have taken the millions given to them and used it as collateral for some high-risk loans to bump up their short-term cash reserves even higher. These loans are not quite in leg-breaker territory, but they still have lots of interest and some balloon payments down the line.

And 'down the line' might just be coming pretty close to 'today'.

And they've been short-staffing the offices and over-reporting the true number of employees to make it look like work is really ongoing. But all of the current employees are devoted to selling ships and 'future updates', with maybe a handful (<5?) of the staff really truly trying to bug-fix the game.

But that might just be my own personal desire to see the wheels well and truly come off of this hurtling train, rather than have everything fizzle out gradually over time. Sadly, the latter is more likely.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

Best marketing slide to date!

BUT HAVE YOU SEEN THE LATEST PAMPHLET FROM RSI INDUSTRIES!

Also how can a marketing tweet ever be the best ever, it's literally just 'but our product is better, because we made the graph show it as such'

I'm the "Great Gaming Performance" vs "GREAT Gaming Performance" USP

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

The implication that there's a lawsuit thread stickied out of some nefarious desire to promote someone else's lawsuit, as opposed to it being stickied because the mods were sick and tired of playing whack-a-mole with the 35 lawsuit threads that pop up every time Pacer refreshes is very amusing to me.

No! if you look, you make it worse!

MarcusSA posted:

I hate him.

But hate him while using the only choice for Streamers, the AMD Ryzen! The fresh taste of Ryzen will supercharge your streaming and make your waifu seem almost real!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Chalks posted:

I'm the "Great Gaming Performance" vs "GREAT Gaming Performance" USP

It's just more marketing fluff like pepsi and coca cola,

or that poo poo on tv with 'rated #1 by dentists' **** warning only rated #1 by 10 dentists paid specifically to rate this product #1, may cause bowel hemorrhaging ****

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Derek Smart chose Coke machines over Pepsi.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mt1RNDEh7Y

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

someone explain madoff quote to me

Madoff bad. Star Citizen bad.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

The Titanic posted:

It's tough. Even if I bought a $200 ship every single week, that's not even one persons salary after deductions. And assuming I'm dumb enough to buy a $200 dollar ship every single week just because is equally stupid to assume from every single person.

My biggest thing about this project has always been the seemingly unanswered fact of where is the money coming from.

Sure we see those daily spikes (at least we used to) of somebody randomly buying that completionist package. But there was never any an associated post or new grand admiral guy or whatever they call themselves coming out to circle jerk themselves with it.

This free fly weekend tells a pretty good story. The twitch views tell a pretty good story. This thread probably has more people viewing it than people actively trying to play the game.

It doesn't, to me, look like nearly enough interest to be able to support even a single 10 person indie studio, much less a multinational corporeal with multiple locations and even greater than, let's say, 200 people and a bunch of outsource devs.

it's hard to get a handle on from the outside as backers don't really talk about spending anymore. a lot of them know it can't be justified to outsiders and increasingly themselves. the concept sale for the space bike that was used for cheap lti was about the last time there was a lot of public discussion about buying jpegs outside of Reddit or spectrum.

spending lots of money on ship jpegs was dumb in the first place. not everybody is going to stop because it got even dumber. they did however learn they get laughed at if they discuss it in public.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah but those are all celebs that got paid to pitch a product, totally different from this weird rear end backwards thing Clifford is doing where he shills a product and PAYS them to do it

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

Some of the answers, loving lol: "I think they are finished just not made available,"

Is there a screen capture of those roadmap features stated as complete?

e: nevermind the actual 3.1 roadmap says it.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 22, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Double reverse inverse shilling is extremely star citizer

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Today I learn Clifford Miku or whatever lives like 30 minutes from me

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Variable 5 posted:

Today I learn Clifford Miku or whatever lives like 30 minutes from me

Open your window, you'll probably feel a draft from his computer.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
MMORPG Forums: Am I Right To Avoid Star Citizen?

quote:

I know Star Citizen is a highly polarizing subject. I've avoided it thus far because I've mainly heard negative things about its development progress. Here's a couple of questions to help me clarify things:

1) What is there to do in the current build of the game?

2) Is the current iteration of the game (I know it's in development) a buggy mess?

3) Is it likely to be highly P2W?

4) Is there any indication from the developers as to when the game may actually launch?

Thanks for any info!

As you might expect, the consensus is there’s “not much game”, even “less fun”, it’s “going to be P2W” and “who knows?”... But then Erillion shows up with a full on novella that is effectively no different than the sort he was writing 3 years ago, save for the rollback on any dates given.

The Titanic posted:

This remains the biggest :iiam: of all.

CIG is actively attempting to confuse the public / the press / the citizenry / their lenders with a story of continuing ascent. Roberts most recent letter welcoming the 2 millionth backer to the fold is a lie so lazily told only those completely and totally out of touch with reality or otherwise uninformed about the project would believe it.

We are in a nonsensical phase and lacking for the inputs to make sense of it. Bragging about the 2 millionth player when surely less than 1 million have ever thrown cash at CIG and most informed people know it is inexplicably nutty but part of this nonsense period.

CIG is behaving like a company far more concerned about cash than they ever were before. Refunds grinding to a near halt... Ship sales last longer and longer and get flacked now at the end of every ATV. The “if we get 200 retweets we’ll extend the Free Fly two more days” pleading felt desperate and pathetic. (200?!) Streamers are getting set up with monster rigs in a cross promotion for IBuyPower and CIG which puts the Shillery of SC Streaming front and center. CIG enters a licensing agreement with a guy who makes insanely expensive real life game-centric furniture which targets the whaliest of the whales yet and can’t possibly produce nearly the kind of income of a well-executed and affordable merchandise line would. (What’s the price to ship a handmade Star Citizen desk to another country?) We’ve got the big $350 a plate dinner in early May and if nothing else, that seems intended to prime their most devoted for exciting new purchasing opportunities in the months ahead.

We get glimpses of some crude approximation of strategic conversations going on between Chris and Erin. The most recent CR Reverse the Verse offered such a moment. We learn Erin was in LA and met with Chris that discussion apparently included “our game is unplayable not only at the networking level but the design level so there’s no engagement and no word of mouth that’s good”. It may have also included “our streamers are playing Sea of Thieves and having a drat blast and not playing Star Citizen and sometimes digging it.”

One presumes but can not be certain that the matter was perhaps of some urgency. Urgency at CIG is never determined by backer needs or wants, they’ve always been revenue centric in the priorities and looking at the various aforementioned bits of random cash fumbling efforts, their time horizon feels urgent indeed. So the Chris and Erin talk about improving the social aspects was more probably about fixing a broke down cash engine that even streamers and whales couldn’t recommend anymore.

There is still a real mystery as to money. The matter has never felt more confusing and inexplicable and the same tracker telling us they’ve raised $185 million is telling us they have 2 million backers when it’s actually 1 million. The Completionist purchases are equally suspect. Where are these new high rollers? Who are they? Are there new Orgs loading up for battle in a game that doesn’t support Org play? Are there new Mikus keeping much lower profiles but buying up fleets because “reasons”? Why?

We should assume manipulations and dishonesty because we can plainly see and prove they do it with player counts. If they’ve had sources as yet unaccounted for between backers and lenders, even those sources don’t seem to have endless largesse. CIG really feels like their hustling and digging under cushions and car seats for change. There’s an army at CIG now pushing Squadron through the digestive system even as they may not be able to pivot back to a retail release for it for legal & architectural reasons thus consigning it to be DLC for Star Citizen that one somehow plays within it yet not... (How they market that such that it can be the revenue producer they need it to be I have no idea, thank goodness they have a genius like Sandi there to make it all clear one day.)

It’s a very strange era and while I don’t assume it means doom, it does feel like they’ve foreclosed so many more promising possible futures in a money hunt coming down from a true demand peak some time past and probably manipulated invisibly to keep up appearances while CIG raced to get their new revenue systems in place. Squadron is one. Real estate seems like the other. Either one well executed WILL drive new purchasing but expecting expert execution on those fronts from a studio that hasn’t even set up a decent means for in-game communication and added Monocles to their Space Sim before Mining seems like a very risky bet.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 22, 2018

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Blue On Blue posted:

Yeah but those are all celebs that got paid to pitch a product, totally different from this weird rear end backwards thing Clifford is doing where he shills a product and PAYS them to do it

You just don't understand shill development.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

I hate him.

More money than sense.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Does somebody have the heart to tell him ?

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3937vs3958

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BUT WHY WOULD COMPANIES LIE?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

BUT WHY WOULD COMPANIES LIE?!

Because sometimes, schmucks thinks it's the best advertisement ever and fall for it for no sane or sensible reason.