Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Edit: unnecessarily mean

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

skeleton warrior posted:

I see which choice you made between “reading the article” and “jumping on your high horse to unequivocally declare yourself the moral superior of your hated enemy, white nerds”

I read the article, in the Trump area we are deporting people who have DACA protections. Nothing in the article disputes that.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Prester Jane posted:

Except that we are at the point where DACA recipients are deported within 3 hours of being picked up at a restaurant, so I think the blind faith and allegiance to Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer wasn't investment that did not pay off. (Which is exactly what all of the minority posters new would be the inevitable and result of this.)

According to the date on the article, we were at this point when it happened a year ago, before DACA protections were removed by Trump. So none of this vaunted “resistance” or “brilliant tactics” you insist you are the font of would actually have changed anything for this guy.

So congrats on being, like so many in this forum, wrong AND smug about it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mantis42 posted:

You're a rube.

There's lots of poo poo you can attack the Democratic establishment and Hillary Clinton on, but pointing out the importance of attacking racism and sexism directly in addition to economic justice, is not really one of them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PT6A posted:

There's lots of poo poo you can attack the Democratic establishment and Hillary Clinton on, but pointing out the importance of attacking racism and sexism directly in addition to economic justice, is not really one of them.

Mantis42 posted:

To clarify: if you think establishment Dems are reticent to pursue economic justice because they're too busy pursuing social justice, and post this on the same page as we're discussing the Dreamers being abandoned without even a word by Democrats, then you have fallen for an even more obvious con than Trump. And this liberal idea of economic issues as just a white guy issue, just another special interest that has to be balanced against all others, is poisonous.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

I read the article, in the Trump area we are deporting people who have DACA protections. Nothing in the article disputes that.

USA Today got their wires crossed. The story is from February 2017 (Vox).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

PT6A posted:

Clinton hasn't really attacked economic injustice in any meaningful way.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Stickman posted:

That's what Ivana's saying - no one will touch Vanessa because she has five kids and might want more. It's a horrible thing to say.

Also, the GOP tax bill will screw Jr. if he gets divorced, so that's nice.

I’m saying if she doesn’t have the opportunity to have more kids, she shouldn’t feels so bad because 5 is already quite an accomplishment.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Prester Jane posted:

You're ether being deceptive or stupid here. The person in that article was deported before Trump ended DACA. If he'd had his DACA identification with him, he would not have been deported. This would still have happened even if a DACA deal had been made this spring, so you can't honestly use it as an example that vindicates your position on that situation. If you can't understand why, you're being stupid.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I mean just because you declare it doesn't make you right.

Also, what in the budget would you have liked the Democrats to have given up?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Vladimir Putin posted:

I’m saying if she doesn’t have the opportunity to have more kids, she shouldn’t feels so bad because 5 is already quite an accomplishment.

:fuckoff:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Well, yes -- the problem is very much that the Democratic party is not following through on the things they are claiming to care about : social justice. The problem certainly isn't that they're paying too much attention to social justice. The solution is to put an even stronger focus on social justice, instead of whining that the establishment isn't focused enough on economic justice.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A large part of the thinking for a Dreamer deal getting done was the assumption that Trump and the Republicans were going to operate in some small form of good faith.

why would anyone who wasn't in a coma for the last decade expect this?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Ivana Trump strikes me as being a less cool, but just as mean, Slav version of Patsy from AbFab

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

kidkissinger posted:

Clinton hasn't really attacked economic injustice in any meaningful way.

True, but I think it's more important to first address social justice, in this era of DREAMers being deported and unarmed Black men being shot dead in the street by police officers, instead of attacking anyone who doesn't prioritize economic justice first and foremost.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PT6A posted:

True, but I think it's more important to first address social justice, in this era of DREAMers being deported and unarmed Black men being shot dead in the street by police officers, instead of attacking anyone who doesn't prioritize economic justice first and foremost.

Also it's not true that Clinton had an economic equality platform.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

What? I’m sorry what did I say that was so offensive?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sucessfully framing economic and social oppression as totally separate if not diametrically opposed was a masterstroke in spite of everything else.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Kavros posted:

8. no complacency is good here. David Frum once noted that we are in the process of conservatives discovering they care about the culture wars more than they care about a constitutional democracy. He said "If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy."

Ok, it's worth recalling here that despite his relative strengths among GOP folks as a not totally crazy person, David frum is a pretty paltry intellectual.

He may have said that, but conservatives have already abandoned anything that would have been called conservativism in the past.

Remember that when Reagan was elected, he faced pushback because he was divorced. We now have a President and essentially party leader who is

3 times divorced and... Everything else you can say about him and women

A draft dodger

Extremely cozy with the Russian dictator

Doesn't care about debt or deficits

Hates free trade and is ambivalent at best towards most allies

A former self identifying Democrat who essentially only switched identification so he could get further in the process.

Let's be honest. Eisenhower would have poo poo down his neck if they ever shared a stage.

Trump is an artifact of the fact that the GOP does not know what it wants to be in the wake of George W Bush. And that in turn is a result of the post nixonian power vacuum filled by Reagan and Co.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’m pretty sure the lovely part is that the rich handsome man gets to reset to 0 kids and be an eligible bachelor.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

marshmonkey posted:

I’m pretty sure the lovely part is that the rich handsome man gets to reset to 0 kids and be an eligible bachelor.

Oh yeah I agree with that then

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yronic heroism posted:

Ok are we in the white internet posters calling black cops Nazis part of the day?

do you know what a kapo was.

lol his soon to be ex wife is wayyyy more attractive than he is.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 22, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

do you know what a kapo was.

lol his soon to be ex wife is wayyyy more attractive than he is.

A week-old rotting whale carcass is way more attractive than any of Donald Trump's sons, both visually speaking and in terms of general pleasantness to be around.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Maybe they'll make Don Jr's quest for love into a reality show like The Bachelor. Date activities could include killing endangered species and mocking war orphans.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Thomas Midgley Jr. is a fucker.

Something that isn't white noise : Like seriouesly something like banning CFCs will never happen again with regressives being a decent % of the pop.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

PT6A posted:

Well, yes -- the problem is very much that the Democratic party is not following through on the things they are claiming to care about : social justice. The problem certainly isn't that they're paying too much attention to social justice. The solution is to put an even stronger focus on social justice, instead of whining that the establishment isn't focused enough on economic justice.

There is no difference between social and economic justice and smashing predatory financial institutions is a completely vital step in dismantling systemic racism

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sit on my Facebook posted:

There is no difference between social and economic justice and smashing predatory financial institutions is a completely vital step in dismantling systemic racism

Wrong first part, right second part

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

theflyingorc posted:

Wrong first part, right second part

I definitely think that at the very least social and economic justice are inextricably linked to a degree that makes them impossible to separate, if not that there's literally no difference

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Communication science, which formalized and separated out the scientific study of propaganda and rhetorical techniques (and a bunch of non-heinous-sounding areas), was developed in response to WWII fascist propaganda.

I think it would probably be more fair to say the scientific study of communication developed out of the duel desire to both counter and create propaganda. It's not a coincidence many of its American founders got their start in the United States Office of War Information, the official war time propaganda office. Persons like Wilbur Schramm were worked on various anti-communist propaganda campaigns, while founding researchers like Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann got their start in NAZI Germany (and was actually offered a job by Goebbels). I don't know for sure but I'd bet a nickel much of the foundational research in the 1950s was funded by the military to assist anti-communist psyops campaigns.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

sit on my Facebook posted:

I definitely think that at the very least social and economic justice are inextricably linked to a degree that makes them impossible to separate, if not that there's literally no difference

Have you read your history on the New Deal or GI Bill?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

economic programs being enacted unequally doesn't disprove what he said.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Medullah posted:

Which is stupid, because as we all know Mueller isn't a witch - he would be considered a "Warlock" since he's male, except he's truly a Golem summoned by the Dems for a single purpose, after which he will be able to return to his slumber.

Witches weren't gendered back in the original witch hunts, in Europe and the US. You could be a man witch.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

Witches weren't gendered back in the original witch hunts, in Europe and the US. You could be a man witch.

We are playing by D&D 5th edition rules atm

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

economic programs being enacted unequally doesn't disprove what he said.

They clearly aren't inexorably linked if they are distributed unevenly. $15 minimum wage is great if you are in an in group that has half the poverty. Free college sounds great until you live in a district where your graduation is below 50 percent, and oh that happens to be the black and latino district. There are structural racism problems that will not be solved by economic justice programs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

They clearly aren't inexorably linked if they are distributed unevenly. $15 minimum wage is great if you are in an in group that has half the poverty. Free college sounds great until you live in a district where your graduation is below 50 percent, and oh that happens to be the black and latino district. There are structural racism problems that will not be solved by economic justice programs.

Not to mention it makes no goddamn difference how much money you have when you get pulled over for driving while black, or shot for holding an innocuous object in your hand. You can be a millionaire, but if you're Black, you're still at the same level of risk when you "match a description," just like the Seahawks player who was tackled by police in Las Vegas.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Crow Jane posted:

Ivana Trump strikes me as being a less cool, but just as mean, Slav version of Patsy from AbFab

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

Free college isn't economic justice.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ague Proof posted:

Please, the proper term is sloppy joe.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

We are playing by D&D 5th edition rules atm

What are the 5th edition rules on pee golems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

if you suddenly made everyone unracist in this country there would still be a vast gulf in wealth between whites and blacks.

• Locked thread