Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Uhura: Sorry, neither.

That's possibly the best line in all of Star Trek. Wow. Talk about underappreciated gems.,

e. Uhura and Rand are both qualified watchstanders. That's a significant status in any navy worth its grog.

e. The interaction between Uhura and Kirk where they're both irritated and snap at each other, then acknowledge it and apologize was good.

e. Kirk is super competent in this episode. He's concerned about contamination right off and keeps pressing the issue. He's captaining every time he's on-screen.

e. This was episode 5 of TOS. That excuses TNG doing their remake as early as they did.

e2. Casual time travel ftw. "Any planet, any time ? Nah, let's stick to our itinerary."

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I was watching the episode where they Inception Sloan for the cure to the morphogenic virus, and I couldn’t get over the volume of creams and shampoos on the shelves of Medical.

Bashir’s fascination with frontier medicine includes dedication to the art of the barber-surgeon

mllaneza posted:

e. This was episode 5 of TOS. That excuses TNG doing their remake as early as they did.

Yup. Spock’s big meltdown in Naked Time, which basically establishes his character for the rest of the franchise, was something Nimoy came up with on the spot because he thought the scene was scripted badly. The point isn’t that you already know who these guys are and so you see them behaving out of character and are like “wow, weird!”, rather it’s that you see their deepest selves and whether they cheerfully own up to them, disastrously break down under them, or actively want to keep those things hidden. Naked Now has no excuse, it’s just a terrible episode.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm not a fan of City on the Edge of Forever either. For the same reason as far beyond the stars - while I understand they're exploring important issues I want to watch Sci-fi and not something set in the present day.
I also hate "it was all a dream....or was it???" stuff and that's a big contributor for Far Beyond the Stars.

It's also so strange to me reading back Jeb's TNG stuff. I can't remember if I thought that the borg cube was the only one or they were a race with loads of cubes but it's interesting to see he went towards "one cube only". In the past I'd have thought that the writers had that planned but the amount of poo poo that was totally spur of the moment in Star Trek just blows my mind.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 22, 2018

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

With that av? Are you kidding?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

With that av? Are you kidding?

Yeah people enjoy changing it on me after every time I fix it so I’ve pretty much given up on picking my own avatar

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

Yeah people enjoy changing it on me after every time I fix it so I’ve pretty much given up on picking my own avatar

As someone who gets their av changed fairly frequently, I know that feel.

I still miss this old av, it got a lot of love.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

"Him? He's harmless. Back in the 20s he was part of the BLT movement. I think he smoked a few too many tide pots."

I appreciated this.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

skasion posted:

Bashir’s fascination with frontier medicine includes dedication to the art of the barber-surgeon

:aaaaa:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taear posted:

I'm not a fan of City on the Edge of Forever either. For the same reason as far beyond the stars - while I understand they're exploring important issues I want to watch Sci-fi and not something set in the present day.
I also hate "it was all a dream....or was it???" stuff and that's a big contributor for Far Beyond the Stars.

It's also so strange to me reading back Jeb's TNG stuff. I can't remember if I thought that the borg cube was the only one or they were a race with loads of cubes but it's interesting to see he went towards "one cube only". In the past I'd have thought that the writers had that planned but the amount of poo poo that was totally spur of the moment in Star Trek just blows my mind.

the idea of there just being a single cube which constantly destroys ships, then accretes the wreckage on the outside is cooler than what we ended with

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Continuing with suspicious amounts of growth in a short period of time, Alexander has grown from a 6 year old to a 20 year old in only 2 years

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Windows 98 posted:

Continuing with suspicious amounts of growth in a short period of time, Alexander has grown from a 6 year old to a 20 year old in only 2 years

Puberty hits Klingons like a truck

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tunicate posted:

the idea of there just being a single cube which constantly destroys ships, then accretes the wreckage on the outside is cooler than what we ended with

I guess when I watched Q Who I assumed they were an empire of some kind who had space far far away. It never occurred to me that there'd just be one of them!
I used to find them absolutely terrifying, removing your individuality and all that.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The borg were stripped of being creepy when they lost the freaky music they had in Q Who. They were still cool until voyager took a dump on them, and there were some freaky body horror scenes in First Contact, but they were never creepy again without the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpvX6_pSW1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTkF5UG1QGY

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Windows 98 posted:

I'm willing to overlook that since the story of The Little Klingon Who Tried is good.

It also explains just how lil' Worfy accidentally murdered another child in a soccer game. He was already 6'4", 230lbs going up against 10 year olds.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I really enjoy sort of "massive unknowable/ancient thing in space that we're exploring" stories like Rendevouz With Rama and the original Borg kind of have that.
It's part of what I really like in Babylon 5 because the First Ones fit into that really well.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Taear posted:

I really enjoy sort of "massive unknowable/ancient thing in space that we're exploring" stories like Rendevouz With Rama and the original Borg kind of have that.
It's part of what I really like in Babylon 5 because the First Ones fit into that really well.

I know people blame First Contact but it really was Voyager that ruined the Borg. Having them as an ancient lurking evil, almost force of nature, made them compelling. Making them another political power, ruined a lot of what made it cool.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Taear posted:

Yeah I love that kind of thing, and it always bugged me as a kid that they threw the scotty episode onto an episode that had this insane ancient space object so it never got any real purpose. Theres a friggin' dyson sphere no one knew how to access the inside of, it would be a portal to any kind of fantastic story, and its blown bringing scotty back, which was great, but could have been done the same without the dyson sphere.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the Borg, I'm watching Descent right now.

I love the idea of a big weird mystery around what appears to be a new permutation of the Borg threat; but it's strange that they go to this weird planet in the middle of nowhere, they even acknowledge that 'there could be fifty Borg down there and we'd never know', but they go ahead and beam down just about everyone on the ship anyway, to go look for Data.

I love that they finally gave Crusher something to do, but Riker should be screaming blue murder at Picard - the reason Riker is XO of the Enterprise in the first place was his absolute refusal to allow senior officers to beam down into a risky situation. Why is Deanna going on an outing as part of a search party?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

spincube posted:

I love the idea of a big weird mystery around what appears to be a new permutation of the Borg threat; but it's strange that they go to this weird planet in the middle of nowhere, they even acknowledge that 'there could be fifty Borg down there and we'd never know', but they go ahead and beam down just about everyone on the ship anyway, to go look for Data.

I love that they finally gave Crusher something to do, but Riker should be screaming blue murder at Picard - the reason Riker is XO of the Enterprise in the first place was his absolute refusal to allow senior officers to beam down into a risky situation. Why is Deanna going on an outing as part of a search party?

It kinda screws some things up when you draw attention to a central conceit of Star Trek plot construction.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
...I withdraw my question.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I refuse to accept the appaloosa conjecture.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

spincube posted:

Probably a remnant from an earlier draft of the script, where the Enterprise was destroyed and the saucer crashed on the planet, marooning everyone. That was the intended cliffhanger for Season 6 until the bean-counters looked at it and gagged at the cost.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

So we were originally going to get the Enterprise-E in season 7?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'd wager they probably would have salvaged the saucer and just attached it to a fresh stardrive section.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah I love that kind of thing, and it always bugged me as a kid that they threw the scotty episode onto an episode that had this insane ancient space object so it never got any real purpose. Theres a friggin' dyson sphere no one knew how to access the inside of, it would be a portal to any kind of fantastic story, and its blown bringing scotty back, which was great, but could have been done the same without the dyson sphere.

Discovery should've been a mission to this thing rather than a prequel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'd wager they probably would have salvaged the saucer and just attached it to a fresh stardrive section.

Yeah, that was the plan. If memory serves, McFadden and Sirtis weren't under contract for the seventh season so the crashing idea was come up with as a way to kill one or both of them off if necessary.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What if it killed everybody? And they just started with a fresh crew.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pitch it to the Discovery writers

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Discovery: Season 2.
Michael travels back in time to 2018, has a monologue about how a thing is bad, then is forced to brutally dismember a small child to get home. She feels sad for 30 seconds.
So many Spocks! Young Spock, Old Spock, Alternate reality Spock, Negaverse Spock. All are Leonard Nimoy but using the magic of CGI.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peachfart posted:

Michael travels back in time to 2018, has a monologue about how a thing is bad, then is forced to brutally dismember a small child to get home. She feels sad for 30 seconds.
So many Spocks! Young Spock, Old Spock, Alternate reality Spock, Negaverse Spock. All are Leonard Nimoy but using the magic of CGI.

I heartily endorse this product or service

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Peachfart posted:

Michael also unnecessarily manipulates and coerces one of her supposed friends into drowning a basket full of kittens in order to demonstrate that they can get away with making changes to the timeline. No one comments on this being unethical.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Michael is invited to join Section 31 by a literal mustache-twirling villain. Michael pretends to join up and is only able to stop Section 31's dastardly plot to steal a mcguffin by blowing up a shuttle full of orphans. She then stares directly at the camera for 5 min and talks about how great Starfleet is.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Michael plots to overthrow the captain, but when her compatriots jump the gun and launch their coup at a command staff mess dinner, she joins in to make the best of it.

Things go awry and she spends the next three years in the brig, writing a book about her philosophy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Michael Scott tries to convince some Pakled to use Starfleet smart paper, but when he finds the USS Dunder has been beaten to the homeworld by Ferengi with a hard to beat offer, finds that only Kevin can effectively communicate with them.

Jim installs a transporter pad at the entrance to Dwight's quarters that always sends him to the bathroom when he enters.

Ryan and Kelly both want to get out of their date, and send holographic versions of themselves.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://twitter.com>disco_s2

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Discovery comes across a destroyed federation colony, wiped out by a creature called Morn. While in pursuit, Michael is transported to a barren planet along with a Morn and forced to fight, with the loser's ship being destroyed. Michael finds out the federation colony was trespassing Morn space, to test metagenic weapons on Morn children.

She Promptly kills the Morn captain, after which she stares into the camera and records a log stating sometimes hard choices have to be made to protect the federation and peace.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Watched “What You Leave Behind” tonight. I still really disliked being subjected to the entirety of the Winn/Dukat subplot for the last bit of Season 7. Just felt really flat and dumb. The only thing that was “shocking” about the whole plot was Winn getting immolated.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Watched “What You Leave Behind” tonight. I still really disliked being subjected to the entirety of the Winn/Dukat subplot for the last bit of Season 7. Just felt really flat and dumb. The only thing that was “shocking” about the whole plot was Winn getting immolated.

Gul Dukat did nothing wrong. Gotta grease those neck ridges!

Also lol at spoilering a tiny fact from an episode of TV from 20 years ago.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah that's definitely the weakest subplot. Garak's relationship with his maid is more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mycomancy posted:

Gul Dukat did nothing wrong. Gotta grease those neck ridges!

Also lol at spoilering a tiny fact from an episode of TV from 20 years ago.

Eh, there are other people in this thread watching through DS9 for the first time, so I don't blame em for not wanting to drop a spoiler about what happens in the last episode of the series.