Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

I need some fairly specific board game recommendations. Been trying to get her into games, and she's receptive, but we've yet to actually play through anything more complicated than Skip-Bo.

- Plays best/extremely well with two players.
- Ideally cooperative, though I'd also make allowances for competitive as long as it's not disruptive competitive (i.e. point salad is okay, and so is 'I did the thing first so I win')
- Rules don't have to be simple so much that they have to be intuitive.
- Don't make it too obvious that I'm holding back and/or carrying until the rules click. I'd prefer not to quarterback, but can if it's necessary.
- If one player can do all the complicated poo poo and just summarize/dramatize, that'd be excellent. Same for set-up/knock-down.
- If there are player characters, they should have a strong (or even primarily) female cast.
- Strong flavor is ideal. She's never been into sci-fi, fantasy works, but only if it's more... 'witchy' than 'wizardly', for lack of a better term. Astrology/tarot/etc also work, if that's a thing that comes up.
- The only video games she's ever played are really old, but she's got some nostalgia for Mario Kart.
- I don't mind paying $80-$100 if it strongly fits all the criteria, but since it's all trial, something cheaper might be better.
- We have a cat who likes jumping on the table, so something that either allows for that or doesn't take up a lot of play area (play it at a table in a restaurant while eating) would be great.

We've tried Telepathy (which worked until the logic actually clicked for her and we 'solved' it), Skip-Bo is probably her favorite game and we play it every now and then, and I've also got Flashpoint and Galaxy Trucker on deck to try out, but there's only so many new things I can make her try before she decides the hobby just isn't for her, and I'd love to find something that caters more to her interests, at least in flavor.

You two might like Robinson Crusoe. It fits most of your requirements. Its cooperative, fairly intuitive, allows you to quarterback until she gets the hang of it, full cast of female characters, very strong flavor/theme without being sci-fi, currently on sale for 22% off ($51):
https://www.amazon.com/Robinson-Crusoe-2e-Board-Game/dp/B01HDYFCJO/
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/121921/robinson-crusoe-adventures-cursed-island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Love letter is overly popular so hated by nerds.

But its the platonic ideal of a pocket game. Me and my wife often take it to bars/breweries and play. Very simple and cheap addition. Just get the basic version no batman or crap.

Pandemic legacy season 1 is a great 2 player dripping with flavor that's not too complicated(and builds into complexity over multiple games)

Not cat proof....but nothings cat proof.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Love letter is super simple but I’ve never brought it out and had it land flat.

Ugh playing it 2player though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Love letter is super simple but I’ve never brought it out and had it land flat.

Ugh playing it 2player though.

It's great 2. The strategy is different and it's gets rarely goes to the high card endgame.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bombadilillo posted:

I think I have a copy of it somewhere around here...

quote:

Pandemic legacy season 1 is a great 2 player dripping with flavor that's not too complicated(and builds into complexity over multiple games)
I've been eyeing that anyways, and knowing it fits the bill is excellent. Expensive, but hopefully I might be able to sell her on it.

Any other suggestions?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
just played a 4p game of Spirit Island which ended with Serpent Slumbers playing the card that destroys an entire board twice with Powerstorm.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Not cat proof....but nothings cat proof.

Hive?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Countblanc posted:

just played a 4p game of Spirit Island which ended with Serpent Slumbers playing the card that destroys an entire board twice with Powerstorm.
That card single handedly made the expansion worth it

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

I need some fairly specific board game recommendations. Been trying to get her into games, and she's receptive, but we've yet to actually play through anything more complicated than Skip-Bo.

- Plays best/extremely well with two players.
- Ideally cooperative, though I'd also make allowances for competitive as long as it's not disruptive competitive (i.e. point salad is okay, and so is 'I did the thing first so I win')
- Rules don't have to be simple so much that they have to be intuitive.
- Don't make it too obvious that I'm holding back and/or carrying until the rules click. I'd prefer not to quarterback, but can if it's necessary.
- If one player can do all the complicated poo poo and just summarize/dramatize, that'd be excellent. Same for set-up/knock-down.
- If there are player characters, they should have a strong (or even primarily) female cast.
- Strong flavor is ideal. She's never been into sci-fi, fantasy works, but only if it's more... 'witchy' than 'wizardly', for lack of a better term. Astrology/tarot/etc also work, if that's a thing that comes up.
- The only video games she's ever played are really old, but she's got some nostalgia for Mario Kart.
- I don't mind paying $80-$100 if it strongly fits all the criteria, but since it's all trial, something cheaper might be better.
- We have a cat who likes jumping on the table, so something that either allows for that or doesn't take up a lot of play area (play it at a table in a restaurant while eating) would be great.

We've tried Telepathy (which worked until the logic actually clicked for her and we 'solved' it), Skip-Bo is probably her favorite game and we play it every now and then, and I've also got Flashpoint and Galaxy Trucker on deck to try out, but there's only so many new things I can make her try before she decides the hobby just isn't for her, and I'd love to find something that caters more to her interests, at least in flavor.

Cat Lady is a simple point-salad card game. It's very quick to teach, and the cats have terrible names like "Cow" and "LeVar Purrton"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Serpent Slumbers is "you sit in the corner until you are allowed to win" the spirit

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Kinda, it's a really good support spirit until that point though. Elemental Aegis is contender for best starting card in the game imho.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

So has anyone started playing The 7th Continent yet? A friend picked it up and I'm wondering if it's something I should try to get in on.

Probably not, given that that group is already a bit strained because we went in on a legacy game (Gloomhaven) and half the group is starting to burn out on legacy stuff/is missing trying new games. If we're that burnt out on a legacy game that's genuinely super fun then maybe the answer isn't a new legacy game that looks a lot more questionable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Okay, how the gently caress are you supposed to play Aeon’s End? My group has played it 4 times and we have lost very very badly each time on the easiest difficulty. Quickly too. Any tips? I’ll literally take anything. I’m ready to burn this drat thing.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

SettingSun posted:

Okay, how the gently caress are you supposed to play Aeon’s End? My group has played it 4 times and we have lost very very badly each time on the easiest difficulty. Quickly too. Any tips? I’ll literally take anything. I’m ready to burn this drat thing.
How quickly is quickly? What's making you lose?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

It's great 2. The strategy is different and it's gets rarely goes to the high card endgame.

What is the strategy? With two player love letter I feel like there are almost no decisions and when you can Guard their card is either obviously or a 50/50 between two cards.

Edit: Lost Legacy is a cool game based on Love Letter but more complex interactions. I think it's best at 3 but also good at 2.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Wonder how the dahan feel about that card.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

misguided rage posted:

How quickly is quickly? What's making you lose?

Sorry, I'm coming down from an anger high. Lemme compose my thoughts for a sec. So were playing the standalone expansion War Eternal, and facing the recommended first nemesis, Umbra Titan. We're also doing beginner difficulty and for the latest game we've used the variant turn order for 4 players which reportedly is supposed to make the game easier. So we've lost between a couple different conditions, but the latest time was having the Titan lose all its nemesis tokens. We've also lost by having the Gravehold lose its life. Those are the big two. We haven't been able to do any significant damage to the guy.

The main thing that is hanging us up is that it takes ages to get any significant power. One of the Titan's cards is a tier 1 power card that makes him lose two out of his 8 tokens, which he does over 3 rounds unless someone spends 6 or 7 aether to discard it. No one can seem to generate that much before it is too late.

It just feels like we've playing with rules wrong but I've poured over the rulebook finding nothing out of the ordinary.

tekz posted:

Wonder how the dahan feel about that card.

The secret that the spirits don't want the Dahan to know is that they literally don't care about them. The fact they survive the spirit's wrath is ancillary.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

SettingSun posted:

The base game, against Rageborn? The game is hard but should not be that hard. Always prioritise cancelling nemesis power cards, killing minions. Don't cast spells early on if there are no minions to target unless you have other spells to replace their slots. Remember that you can overspend to get extra crystals out of your hand. I usually find buying one or two gems on the first turn then switching to spells /relics works well, but does depend on your setup.

Edit :Umbra Titan is definitely harder, and if you do get that power card that makes him lose two tokens early you can get screwed unfortunately, but that's probably the worst offender in his deck. It took us about three tries to beat him with four player and even that was quite close.

Kerro fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 22, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bombadilillo posted:

But its the platonic ideal of a pocket game. Me and my wife often take it to bars/breweries and play. Very simple and cheap addition. Just get the basic version no batman or crap.

Exception to this: get Love Letter Premium, because it's gorgeous and it expands the game to 8 players very nicely if you want to play with more than two.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Apologies for the double post, but this one justifies its own.

Let dicks grow to full mast across the land, for that is indeed Caylus II: The Caylusening. Changes include money and workers being folded together, removal of the Favour Tracks for an instant reward system, and earnable unique player powers which can be stolen with a new type of favour.

As you can see, there's also now a permanent Lawyer and Carpenter replacing the Stables and Inn, so presumably turn order will be dictated in a new way.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

i wanted to like it but it was too micro and not enough game for me. sorry.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Booyah- posted:

Edit: Lost Legacy is a cool game based on Love Letter but more complex interactions. I think it's best at 3 but also good at 2.

Lost Legacy is great, and basically the same design as Love Letter. The main difference is that there's also facedown cards, 'the ruins', in the middle of the board. The one card that gets burnt is the starting ruin, and other cards can be put facedown as well, mixing them up, or other cards letting you peek at ruins, and swapping the cards if you want.

The goal is to find the 'Lost Legacy' card, which I think is a #4? Once the final card is played, whoever has the lowest card shows their card, then they pick one location, either a player's hand or one of the ruin cards, for where they think the Lost Legacy is hidden. The card is shown, if it is, they win, otherwise the next player in card order gets to guess.

Someone can even have it in their hand, but it's #4 to guess, so someone with an earlier card could guess their hand and win.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedit posted:

Let dicks grow to full mast across the land, for that is indeed Caylus II: The Caylusening. Changes include money and workers being folded together, removal of the Favour Tracks for an instant reward system, and earnable unique player powers which can be stolen with a new type of favour.

As you can see, there's also now a permanent Lawyer and Carpenter replacing the Stables and Inn, so presumably turn order will be dictated in a new way.

Why the hell did they invert the map? Though I can see an argument for making it readable as the bailiff timer getting closer to the castle.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

discount cathouse posted:

i wanted to like it but it was too micro and not enough game for me. sorry.

I mean you dont break it out for the big game of the night but for a pocket game when you aren't home.

Also a Uno replacement (along with Red7) for grandma comes around.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Red7 is super good. I really like these little card games.

I got 13 days, time of crisis, and Red7 in the Heavy Cardboard secret santa. Guess which one actually gets played.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jordan7hm posted:

Red7 is super good. I really like these little card games.

I got 13 days, time of crisis, and Red7 in the Heavy Cardboard secret santa. Guess which one actually gets played.

Time of crisis is rad, but 13 Days?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

Time of crisis is rad, but 13 Days?

Red7. This is what happens when you mostly game with your kid. 13 days is several years away.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Jedit posted:

This looks like it’s just a worse version of Caylus

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Papes posted:

This looks like it’s just a worse version of Caylus

I think they should Cayless, personally.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ravendas posted:

Lost Legacy is great, and basically the same design as Love Letter. The main difference is that there's also facedown cards, 'the ruins', in the middle of the board. The one card that gets burnt is the starting ruin, and other cards can be put facedown as well, mixing them up, or other cards letting you peek at ruins, and swapping the cards if you want.

The goal is to find the 'Lost Legacy' card, which I think is a #4? Once the final card is played, whoever has the lowest card shows their card, then they pick one location, either a player's hand or one of the ruin cards, for where they think the Lost Legacy is hidden. The card is shown, if it is, they win, otherwise the next player in card order gets to guess.

Someone can even have it in their hand, but it's #4 to guess, so someone with an earlier card could guess their hand and win.

The other really neat thing about lost legacy is that there are like 8 versions of the game, which are the same numbered 15 colors but slightly different abilities. You mix the cards between decks, or add two together to support more players. My group really likes the deck that lets you play cards face down, basically expanding the size of the ruins to the point where it's never a sure guess and multiple investigates become really important.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I'm starting an RPG group. I have three players, each of whom has played a few sessions of D&D. I've never DMed, but played a good amount of D&D. We are all Theater People. Is Mouse Guard a good pick for us if we want a system that is not poo poo? I hear good things, and the setting appeals. Am I fine with a pdf of the core book, or do I need to spring for the box set with all the cards and whatnot?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

El Fideo posted:

I'm starting an RPG group. I have three players, each of whom has played a few sessions of D&D. I've never DMed, but played a good amount of D&D. We are all Theater People. Is Mouse Guard a good pick for us if we want a system that is not poo poo? I hear good things, and the setting appeals. Am I fine with a pdf of the core book, or do I need to spring for the box set with all the cards and whatnot?

You'll get more responses from the TG Chat thread. For "theater people" who still want their fair share of dice rolling I recommend Fate which is a set of generic rules that can be customized for any setting. It's a system that rewards player participation by driving the story using Fate points that are earned for being challenged by the GM and spent to activate their abilities. For example the players are bargaining with a merchant and one of them says "This guy owes me a favor" and spends a Fate point. The GM is encouraged to play off character strengths and weaknesses so assume a thief like character is in a store and the GM slides a Fate point their way saying "The merchant is distracted by another customer and he forgot to lock his jewelry case. The shiny diamonds are calling you..."

If what you're looking for are good one shots there's Fiasco, a game inspired by Coen movies where players are regular people with big ambitions where petty crimes go tits up. You know, like every Coen and Tarantino movie.

And if what you want is D&D without all the overhead and decades of metagame knowledge there's Dungeon World which simplifies the system down to one core mechanic.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jedit posted:

Like I don't think the favour track is the best part of Caylus but some of the changes you detailed really don't sound that good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You can’t improve perfection.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Like I don't think the favour track is the best part of Caylus but some of the changes you detailed really don't sound that good.

It depends how they're done. Joking aside I'm in "wait and see" mode myself. Simplifying the favour system won't harm it, though, and equating cash to workers is sensible as they're close to the same thing anyway. What concerns me more is the effect of the asymmetric powers, the removal of bidding for turn order, and what looks from the board to be a removal of the limits on builds per section.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

El Fideo posted:

Here is the What System Should I Use megathread, the best place for answers. Personally, I love Mouse Guard. You can just use a PDF and some cards you made yourself (pieces of paper in front of sleeved Magic cards, for example), but having a set really does save some time.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Turns out, we've been doing our recommendations all wrong.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alivelez/time-to-shake-up-game-night?utm_term=.rhbemZN1jE#.ve8zVOPWJd

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 23, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kiranamos posted:

Turns out, we've been doing our recommendations all wrong.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/alivelez/time-to-shake-up-game-night

Dutch Blitz, Quelf, and Joking Hazard?! I think this may be some kind of click-bait, designed to piss off boardgamers. It is the only way this makes any sense at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Are the images on there supposed to be absurdly large and low-rez, or did my computer break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bruceski posted:

Are the images on there supposed to be absurdly large and low-rez, or did my computer break?
Nope same thing for me.