Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
How do directors and editors decide to cut certain scenes? There are a fair few movies where if they had included some scenes that were cut, they're improved and make more sense. I don't quite get the process of, "Okay, this kind of explains what would be a massive plot hole, but let's just snip that right out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pacing is a big concern. There's a reason almost everyone hates the scenes in horror films in which the action stops for a few minutes so an "expert" can explain the plot in great detail.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leavemywife posted:

How do directors and editors decide to cut certain scenes? There are a fair few movies where if they had included some scenes that were cut, they're improved and make more sense. I don't quite get the process of, "Okay, this kind of explains what would be a massive plot hole, but let's just snip that right out."

Most people don't notice if a movie makes no narrative sense. For popular examples see Raiders of the Lost Arc and The Matrix.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I must be one of those people, because I honestly can't think of a reason why Raiders wouldn't make narrative sense.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A lot of editing is based on previews. Especially with comedy - Roscoe Arbuckle, Buster Keaton, and Stan Laurel swore by preview screenings. They'd actually add back footage if there wasn't enough time for audiences to stop laughing.

Of course, preview screenings can be thanked for the ending of Little Shop of Horrors being completely re-shot... but also the awful original ending of Titanic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Little Shop is twice as good with the OG ending. The theatrical ending is a bunch of bullshit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

I must be one of those people, because I honestly can't think of a reason why Raiders wouldn't make narrative sense.

if indy did nothing the nazis still would've opened the ark and been melted.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lazy writing to have the movie end with a deus ex arkina.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah, but then there'd be no one left to tell the story that no one else would ever believe. Still my favorite movie.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

The story isn't about defeating the Nazis, it's about the adventure Indiana Jones had retrieving the Ark. I really don't get why this is supposed to be a criticism of the film.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't think it's a problem, that was just what i assumed was his point when he said it had narrative issues people don't notice. not sure what he meant with the matrix though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

To paraphrase Ebert, it's not about what happens in a movie, but how it happens.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SimonCat posted:

The story isn't about defeating the Nazis, it's about the adventure Indiana Jones had retrieving the Ark. I really don't get why this is supposed to be a criticism of the film.

It gets locked away in a government warehouse where no one ever examines it, he's a terrible archaeologist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't think it's a problem, that was just what i assumed was his point when he said it had narrative issues people don't notice. not sure what he meant with the matrix though.

Indiana Jones has zero effect on the outcome of the film, The Matrix makes no sense if you have at least a basic understanding of the 3 laws of thermodynamics. I love both of these movies, my point was that most people don't care about this poo poo, and also don't notice minor continuety errors caused by editing for a faster pace.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the battery thing isn't a narrative issue. a narrative issue is "this event happened despite it not logically following from events preceding it".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Skwirl posted:

Indiana Jones has zero effect on the outcome of the film

That was the plot of an episode of The Big Bang Theory. Amy pointed this out to Sheldon and it ruined the movie for him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

the battery thing isn't a narrative issue. a narrative issue is "this event happened despite it not logically following from events preceding it".

You're correct, a better example would be who the gently caress shot the chauffeur in The Big Sleep?"l

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

That was the plot of an episode of The Big Bang Theory. Amy pointed this out to Sheldon and it ruined the movie for him.

That's the only reason I'm aware of it,despite watching the film a bazillion times.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bazingo boy didn't figure it out on his own? not much a genius.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Skwirl posted:

That's the only reason I'm aware of it,despite watching the film a bazillion times.

It's basically also true for Goldfinger, "the best" (it isn't) Bond movie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Indiana Jones has zero effect on the outcome of the film

Not only has this nothing to do with making narrative sense, it also ignores the relationship arc between Indy and Marion, which is central to the film.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

feedmyleg posted:

Little Shop is twice as good with the OG ending. The theatrical ending is a bunch of bullshit.

this but the opposite

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

regulargonzalez posted:

It's basically also true for Goldfinger, "the best" (it isn't) Bond movie.

This one's a bit of a stretch, isn't it? Goldfinger dies in his fight with Bond, Bond kills Oddjob, and Bond helps disarm the atomic bomb. It's arugable whether Bond's sexual assault of Pussy makes her betray Goldfinger, since she's really the key to everything about his plan failing.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
In Get Out, was the framed picture of Chris in the auction scene added during post? It seems like it would work even better as a slow reveal where you gradually realize what's going on, instead of the picture of the "auction goods" making it obvious immediately. There's weird clipping and shadows on the picture that make it look like it might have been dropped in later, that's why I was wondering.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Samuel Clemens posted:

Pacing is a big concern. There's a reason almost everyone hates the scenes in horror films in which the action stops for a few minutes so an "expert" can explain the plot in great detail.

Because those movies are telling instead of showing.

Indy is the reason the ark was found, the nazis might have run out of money or hitler's patience before finding it. Also they didnt know where to find Marian and the headpiece before tailing him.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

got any sevens posted:

Because those movies are telling instead of showing.

Indy is the reason the ark was found, the nazis might have run out of money or hitler's patience before finding it. Also they didnt know where to find Marian and the headpiece before tailing him.

yeah i was going to say the only reason they knew where to dig was because of indiana's direct involvement with the staff/headpiece

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

"Oops, I accidentally helped the bad guys." is a perfectly valid plot point.

If it was on The Big Bang Theory, it's probably not as smart as people think.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BrewingTea posted:

"Oops, I accidentally helped the bad guys." is a perfectly valid plot point.

If it was on The Big Bang Theory, it's probably not as smart as people think.

It seems to me that the point of the joke is that Sheldon is dumb for letting something like that ruin the movie for him, and that viewers should not be like Sheldon

Edit: I mean yeah BBT is kinda dumb but it’s not so dumb as to suggest Sheldon is somebody to emulate

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 24, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

It seems to me that the point of the joke is that Sheldon is dumb for letting something like that ruin the movie for him, and that viewers should not be like Sheldon

Yeah, he attempts to get revenge by pointing out historical inaccuracies in Little House on the Prairie.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

It gets locked away in a government warehouse where no one ever examines it, he's a terrible archaeologist.

Why wouldn't other Nazis get It? Who from the allies is finding it if Indy isn't there as a survivor?

Edit: sorry, I think I see now that you mean this regarding the actual events, not the "irrelevant Indy" narrative.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 23, 2018

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skwirl posted:

Bazingilion

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 3, 2018

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I recently watched Carlito's Way with Al Pacino. I generally enjoyed it and it was different from what I expected. The poster and description sort of made it seem like "Scarface" that came out ten years before, which I think was the point. It wasn't very honest advertising though. Anyway I have a question about the end:

Near the end, Carlito's maître d warns him that his friend Pachanga is plotting against him with Benny Blanco. But Carlito still has Pachanga take his girlfriend to Grand Central Station to wait for him at the train. Why would he do this? Did he not believe the maître d? Even with the mob looking for him, couldn't his girlfriend have gone there herself? Seems like a really weird decision, especially since it was the decision that got him killed in the end.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
when movie pass goes tits up can i charge back my credit card for the rest of the months if I did the year deal

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Alan Smithee posted:

when movie pass goes tits up can i charge back my credit card for the rest of the months if I did the year deal

You could try, but the moviepass terms and service agreement says they can do pretty much whatever they want with the service. Go see those movies now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In the UK, they've had a (chain run, so can only use at one brand of theater) unlimited movie pass for maybe a decade now? It's gotten more expensive as time has gone on, but it's always been well liked and run smoothly. Heck, it even works with 'buy one get one free' promos cell phone companies run as the paid ticket. I don't understand how Moviepass have made this so complicated and run so poorly. I was close to getting it last year but read so many horror stories and the T&Cs looked horrific.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The chain run thing is probably the big difference. I know of two chains in the Netherlands that each have their own kind of moviepass.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like to go to different theaters for different types of movies, or depending on the time of day, or whether or not I've eaten beforehand, or whether I want to have a beer while watching the movie. A single chain pass would definitely not suit my needs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that’s true. Back home all our theaters were essentially the same thing, and showed the same films so the one chain doing the Unlimited card was a good way of drumming up business as nobody really cared where they went for the most part.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
One of the nicer perks of MoviePass is that it works at all the little NYC indie and arthouse theaters, in addition to the big chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Toebone posted:

One of the nicer perks of MoviePass is that it works at all the little NYC indie and arthouse theaters, in addition to the big chains.

Not all, but the amount it works with is more than fair.