Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Bad Munki posted:

This cracks me up although I think it should be a soft blue instead of green for that.

I had a lot of questionable experiences in hunter green rooms but yeah, as long as it has an overly chunky berber carpet (this applies whether everyone goes around with their shoes on or if "we're a shoes-off family").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The white trim is just calling too much attention to itself IMO, would be curious to see it with a neutral/darker trim.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The intersecting layers of trim at the door frame by the light switch bugs the hell out of me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm gonna design a room that's all trim.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Modus Pwnens posted:

The intersecting layers of trim at the door frame by the light switch bugs the hell out of me.

Yeah I'm having a hard time saying whether or not the idea is bad because the execution is just bugging me. The overlapping trim, the trim touching the light switch, the strange height of the chair rail...it's just "off" in too many ways to be attractive.

If the panelled section was the bottom 1/3 of the room, rather than ~1/2, the trim matched, and the trim correctly cornered and not touching any fixtures, then maybe I would like it more. But probably not unless it was stained a more even tone.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm gonna design a room that's all trim.
Every straight man's dream.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bad Munki posted:

Interesting. Do you have an example?

Well here's some Osmo transparent white, it's a wax oil finish:

I don't know what this is, it's called "lasyr" in swedish, a semi transparent finish basically

Same here, pine walls with the some other semi transparent white:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I think my biggest problem really is that instead of mounting the pine board so it was flush with the existing doorframe, he trimmed it out with its own individual frame. To me it just makes the pine board look like an afterthought, or maybe "I had this idea but I didn't know how to do it correctly."

I hadn’t even looked that close, but you are 100% right on, that looks lame.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't know what this is, it's called "lasyr" in swedish, a semi transparent finish basically

You’re right, that helps a lot.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Modus Pwnens posted:

Me too. I'm not a fan of the little corner blocks in the crown either. Just screams lazy.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Yeah, love this finish. Generally called a lime washed effect I think, but these osmo products seems a great way of doing it.

I’m experimenting with re-finishing some furniture with it just now, there are a lots of different shades and whiteness levels to choose from.
edit: lime not line.

wooger fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 22, 2018

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I come bearing "Gifts"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTfJa_Qb5T0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqZs1823cNM

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Let us not speak of this again.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I can't get over a marble microwave. Like everything else is lovely decorating (the fake garage windows are on another level too), but A MARBLE MICROWAVE?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

The Dave posted:

I can't get over a marble microwave. Like everything else is lovely decorating (the fake garage windows are on another level too), but A MARBLE MICROWAVE?

You know, like the Romans!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I feel like this first one is kind of ingenious in that the film quality is just bad enough and the edits are fast enough that you could be fooled that some of those look anything other than cheap as hell. At least until you get to gluing a fake rock veneer to the outside of a fiberglass bathtub insert.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Oh my God that's some of the most awful, ratchet poo poo I've ever seen.

Thread delivers.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bad Munki posted:

Curious about this thread’s take on this imgur post, specifically the wood wainscoting with white trim and painted upper. It’s not something I would have considered, but I don’t find it awful, in fact I kinda like it. Whereas looking at pictures of fully-wood-paneled walls with white trim is awful to me, like really bad, so I’m trying to analyze it a little more closely, as I have a similar space I’m working on.

Example:

The rest of the album:
https://imgur.com/gallery/rZIANFJ

'70's restaurant dining room' is not a good look.

I'm really not a huge fan of wood-finish panel and painted molding to start, but even worse when it's a chair rail that's a foot too high.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh my God that's some of the most awful, ratchet poo poo I've ever seen.

Thread delivers.

Remember when you were a kid and everyone (or at least Mr. Rogers) said your lovely school craft projects were great and so creative? These videos are about trying to recapture that feeling as an adult.

Wrong, Fred. Gluing emoji plates to your walls is wrong.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

wooger posted:

Yeah, love this finish. Generally called a lime washed effect I think, but these osmo products seems a great way of doing it.

I’m experimenting with re-finishing some furniture with it just now, there are a lots of different shades and whiteness levels to choose from.
edit: lime not line.

I've heard it talked about but they seem to mention lye here. Also that it can backfire and make your wood reddish instead of white. Lots of modern methods for a finish like this, just whatever finish with some paint in it to make it semi transparent. Osmo has a good reputation here though for being durable and easy to reapply when needed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"Lasyr" is glazing in english. It's basically just paint that's been diluted.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Remember when you were a kid and everyone (or at least Mr. Rogers) said your lovely school craft projects were great and so creative? These videos are about trying to recapture that feeling as an adult.

The thing that gets me is that actual refinishing of furniture is not much harder. Reupholstering is a bit more complicated, but it's not something that takes a ton of specialized equipment or anything. A friend of mine has DIY'd pretty much all her furniture, but it looks tasteful and cohesive because she finds high quality pieces in bad shape and restores them rather than idk, stenciling word art on them or whatever.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Oh no, she's not... that isn't.... holy poo poo, IT IS. SHE'S GLUING FAKE STONE TO A BATHTUB. :stare:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Uhh, hello, it’s not fake, it’s cultured, obviously that means it’s fancy

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

I've heard it talked about but they seem to mention lye here. Also that it can backfire and make your wood reddish instead of white. Lots of modern methods for a finish like this, just whatever finish with some paint in it to make it semi transparent. Osmo has a good reputation here though for being durable and easy to reapply when needed.

I've always known semi-transparent paint as "milk paint".

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 23, 2018

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Indolent Bastard posted:

I've always known semi-transparent paint as "milk paint".

It’s only the actual lime based products that can make your wood turn reddish, all the other ones, as noted above are just adding some white pigment to oil or wax or paint.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

This 'box' in my hall covers the 'roof' of the stairs (Which loop around underneath). It's a total eyesore and the triangular space inside has just been filled with my wife's shoes. My immediate thought was to put some batons and molding on it, paint it a contrasting colour and add an overstuffed cushion top to it - but honestly I don't know how often I'm going to think to myself 'gee, between my bedroom and the toilet, I really wish I had somewhere to sit down...'

Any suggestions?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Could you replace it with the minimal triangular shape required to cover the stair headspace and then build a proper shoe rack on top?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Liner, soil, succulents.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The corridor is quite bright, but enough for succulents? I guess I'd have to raise them up to bannister height at least?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Could you replace it with the minimal triangular shape required to cover the stair headspace and then build a proper shoe rack on top?

The minimal triangular shape does exist underneath already; so it would just be a case of removing the box. That's not a bad call tbh; I'll ask her what her shoe plans are (because I think they're only in there because she can't be bothered to put them in the massive, empty loft). I think I'd like it to be covered though, rather than open

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Southern Heel posted:

The minimal triangular shape does exist underneath already; so it would just be a case of removing the box. That's not a bad call tbh; I'll ask her what her shoe plans are (because I think they're only in there because she can't be bothered to put them in the massive, empty loft). I think I'd like it to be covered though, rather than open

If you removed the box and kept the triangular cutout underneath, could you put something larger in front of/around/over/straddling it?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yes, the geometry of aforementioned triangular shape puts it roughly at the front-bottom and rear-top of the box though, so it would be broadly the same dimensions as the box in-situ.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’d throw a cushion on it and probably end up using it all the time when I’m trying to avoid people.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jaded Burnout posted:

Southern Heel posted:

This is what I would do, except I wouldn't put any shoe storage there. It sounds like it's just bullshit 'storage' for something that should be elsewhere.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Southern Heel posted:

This 'box' in my hall covers the 'roof' of the stairs (Which loop around underneath). It's a total eyesore and the triangular space inside has just been filled with my wife's shoes. My immediate thought was to put some batons and molding on it, paint it a contrasting colour and add an overstuffed cushion top to it - but honestly I don't know how often I'm going to think to myself 'gee, between my bedroom and the toilet, I really wish I had somewhere to sit down...'

Any suggestions?
Do the cushion top. Voila, it's shoe storage and a place to sit while putting on your shoes!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cushion or at least paint/decorate it like a treasure chest. Or a toilet.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Definitely a toilet.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Hmm this looks like a perfectly normal old house

wait what's in that room over there

AAAAAAGH

whyyy would you do this to your living room

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
What in the WHOLE gently caress

Is that painted rock in two colors with a mural, red tile, an unpainted rustic hearth to contrast with the black-painted traditional hearth across the room, and a cigar box native profile on top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm still trying to figure out the three mystic portals leading to Kitchen, Tiny Table Nook, and MYSTERY!, myself.