Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is there anything for a teetotaler goon to do with goons? I went in 2016 and also didn't see any goons and most of what I saw discussed was barhopping with some games involved. Either way I'll be there. You will know me by my No Fun shirt.

If you want to stand out you're going to have to do more than wear the same shirt everyday like everyone else will be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Deviant posted:

I mean aside from some wednesday shenanigans, no one gets *that* drunk...

Hahahaha what? I'm annihilated every night while gaming in a hotel lounge with my college buddies and it owns.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is there anything for a teetotaler goon to do with goons? I went in 2016 and also didn't see any goons and most of what I saw discussed was barhopping with some games involved. Either way I'll be there. You will know me by my No Fun shirt.

You could hang out with the goons who drink? Unless you don’t want to be around booze. We don’t get rowdy, its more casual and the barhopping is more only hanging out at one bar because its pretty quiet and they don’t mind us playing games there. People even played AFFO there, so its not just light stuff.

Like Deviant said, nobody throws down gencon money to just get drunk with goons. Except wednesday when we get irresponsible with buying shots, but even that was pretty sedate last year.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Hahahaha what? I'm annihilated every night while gaming in a hotel lounge with my college buddies and it owns.

He’s talking about the goon group

Fellis fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 19, 2018

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Admiral Joeslop posted:

As a second time goer, what does everyone budget for food? The hotel my girlfriend and I have this year doesn't offer free breakfast but does have room service.

I'm going with a rough estimate of:

Breakfast x5: $20~ each
Lunch x5: $20~ each
Dinner x4: $40~ each, to account for drinks and such.
Total $360~
The obvious correct answer is to stay at a hotel with free breakfast, no matter how sparse; even bagels and cream cheese and orange juice in sufficient quantity can get you a long way!

I always suggest that nobody waste their time on lunch when at Gen-Con, given that you will likely miss at least an hour of Precious Precious Afternoon Time if you do so. Which means obviously carrying a handful of granola bars and/or mixed nuts and/or the Blood of the Host or whatever you consume on "hikes"

Then be like Toshimo and spend all your saved money on Harry & Izzy's for dinner. Pricier than many things but way cheaper than St. Elmo Steakhouse which it is basically the same thing as.

nesbit37 posted:

This makes me sad, but for different reasons than those wargamers. I hope they still let me download a CSV of the entire catalog for future updates to https://www.best50yearsingaming.com :(
I thought of you for all the right reasons when I saw that, but yeah, I would be shocked if they did not allow that. I bet it will be better than before, even, as they will be exclusively working with a digital version. Maybe.

Trustworthy posted:

Last year, due to a weird/busy schedule, I managed to not see a single goon for the entire duration of Gen Con. I was pretty bummed. May tYoOL 2018 offer me a reversal of fortune. That is all.
YES IT WILL HAPPEN

AND WE CAN CONFIRM YOU ARE WHO I THINK YOU ARE

Clanpot Shake posted:

I have never drank and I still have fun with these morons 9 times out of 10! Apologies for missing 2016, I thought my streak would live forever, but babies. I will be there this year though, unless I use a Limited Wish to produce a fast pregnancy or something

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I also don't drink and consider my time with goons to be the highlight of GenCon. It's all good

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Please enjoy Gen Con in whatever ways make you the happiest :tipshat:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Please enjoy Gen Con in whatever ways make you the happiest :tipshat:

Instructions unclear. Purchased 50 lb box of piss-soaked miniatures at auction.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Toshimo posted:

Instructions unclear. Purchased 50 lb box of piss-soaked miniatures at auction.

shouting down someone in the charity auction is still one of my favorite memories

"90, 100, 110...120..."

"gently caress it. TWO HUNDRED!""

it's spiteful AND for a good cause, everyone wins! but mostly me!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I love the auction so much, I really need to spend some more time there but I doubt its going to happen at all this year.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like to duck in there every now and then to sit and enjoy the show. Even when it's not the oddities section, it's interesting to see what comes up. Sometimes you'll even find some gems in the consignment store section too.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
No need for me to endlessly yammer about the Auction, but, yes. Yes. Oh, I love it so. Plus I get to find out this year how much behind-the-scenes politicking goes into auctioneer selection; apparently someone was upset last year when they put me and Josh on for most of the Charity Auction (and needless to say, nobody could be mad about Josh being on stage, so it had to be about me), but hey, results speak for themselves (also whatever, if I get to be on stage during T.O.V.A. I am pretty much happy no matter what else happens)

As always I will be sure to post the schedules here and on the GroupMe as soon as I know them; they threatened last year to actually have the schedules finalized before the show begins, so that would be nice.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Do you know if Frank is coming back to the auction this year, Quarex? He hasn't had much luck with cons since his major social media and suave old man fail last year.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
My group carries around a camelbak full of vodka for topping off flasks, and we've brought IV bags in the past in case anyone needs to recover quick. Gencon is serious business.

There's a few drinking-themed events too. The brewery tour around Indy is pretty neat, you hit up 3-4 places and sample the goods. The drunkass gaming event is a hoot too, they rent out the back of the Ram and you get dinner and 1-2 drinks with the event ticket.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

ritorix posted:

My group carries around a camelbak full of vodka for topping off flasks, and we've brought IV bags in the past in case anyone needs to recover quick. Gencon is serious business.

There's a few drinking-themed events too. The brewery tour around Indy is pretty neat, you hit up 3-4 places and sample the goods. The drunkass gaming event is a hoot too, they rent out the back of the Ram and you get dinner and 1-2 drinks with the event ticket.

We did a Drunkass Gaming event last year where we got to play a game called DeathCup. It should have been dumb (it was basically a more frantic version of quarters) but it was insanely fun after a long day.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is that the big room that had that kind of library of games you could pull out and play?

No, the ballrooms in the JW are used for events during the day, but in the evening they are just space to play in. We had 3 tables of Goons playing various games and RPGs until the early hours of the morning. Highlight included the table of non goons on the other side of the room giving us their bottle of booze because they had an early fight and didn't want to just dump them.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Backno posted:

No, the ballrooms in the JW are used for events during the day, but in the evening they are just space to play in. We had 3 tables of Goons playing various games and RPGs until the early hours of the morning. Highlight included the table of non goons on the other side of the room giving us their bottle of booze because they had an early fight and didn't want to just dump them.

I'm staying at the JW this year. Where are these ballrooms?

We usually leave the convention hall early to try to stake out a spot at the lounge but if there are ballrooms I'd imagine those are somewhat quieter.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Elephant Ambush posted:

We usually leave the convention hall early to try to stake out a spot at the lounge but if there are ballrooms I'd imagine those are somewhat quieter.

2nd or 3rd floor can't remember which.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Elephant Ambush posted:

The ballroom that we were in last year was on the 2nd floor down the hallway near the Starbucks (to the left as you face it). It was either the first or second set of doors, can't remember which.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
We often squatted rooms in the JW after hours. I had no idea that this was a Goon tradition!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Backno posted:

oh hey i remember that

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Event listing is up.

https://www.gencon.com/event_finder

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Looking forward to the traditional gencon introductory knife fighting class

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Only two of my three events made it in, but if anything wants to play an early draft of the recently kickstarted Flying Circus, the stretch goal for our podcast's jokey Blimpleggers setting was hit and we'll have new playbooks and everything there for a good (and first) time. It's RPG18132891, or Blimpleggers - The Ridgelands Rendezvous.

The Blimpleggers setting is a fantasy 1920's not-America where Prohibition is in full swing, but the booze is potions (and yet still booze) and the rumrunners are running that hooch in various forms of semi-rigid airship instead of cars (which don't even exist, everyone just flies everywhere). The villains are the Fuzz, a police force of inscrutable mushroom people that just hate the heck out of alcohol.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Excited to take a look at the events this year. I wonder how much ita grown from years past and when I can do some data analysis with the past years on http://best50yearsingaming.com

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My Dungeons Dragons Drive-ins Diners and Dives game got in
https://www.gencon.com/events/128179
It's gonna be a blast, and it's basically designed for the yearly high-death revolving cast Goon Game we do

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I don't know if any of you do trade day but if so I have an event:

https://www.gencon.com/events/125989

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is there a downloadable version of the event catalog?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There will be, in csv , if years past hold true (I certainly hope so at least).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I should have checked before I typed my last post, here is a downloadable version of the current event catalog.

http://www.gencon.com/downloads/events.zip

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

My Dungeons Dragons Drive-ins Diners and Dives game got in
https://www.gencon.com/events/128179
It's gonna be a blast, and it's basically designed for the yearly high-death revolving cast Goon Game we do

Gen Con catalog posted:

Special Category: Gen Con found this event interesting. You might too.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Does anyone know if there's going to be a couple more dumps of event listings before registration, or is this everything?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Pretty sure they redo it daily

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

theironjef posted:

Only two of my three events made it in, but if anything wants to play an early draft of the recently kickstarted Flying Circus, the stretch goal for our podcast's jokey Blimpleggers setting was hit and we'll have new playbooks and everything there for a good (and first) time. It's RPG18132891, or Blimpleggers - The Ridgelands Rendezvous.

The Blimpleggers setting is a fantasy 1920's not-America where Prohibition is in full swing, but the booze is potions (and yet still booze) and the rumrunners are running that hooch in various forms of semi-rigid airship instead of cars (which don't even exist, everyone just flies everywhere). The villains are the Fuzz, a police force of inscrutable mushroom people that just hate the heck out of alcohol.

Oh nice I really hope to-

(looks up event)

$34 for a ticket?!? :psyduck: I hope that's a typo

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

They've put this on every event I've run cause I'm The Best :smug:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Oh nice I really hope to-

(looks up event)

$34 for a ticket?!? :psyduck: I hope that's a typo

Man's got a baby to feed :colbert:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I let my network boss set the prices. Had no idea what was appropriate. Did we go way too high? Dammit!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

For reference, the vast majority of RPG events are like $2 per 2 hour slot. Some events that give out copies of the games or have a celebrity guest ask for more but I've never seen a basic 4 hour game go that high. Ya'll are pretty popular these days though so who knows

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

For reference, the vast majority of RPG events are like $2 per 2 hour slot. Some events that give out copies of the games or have a celebrity guest ask for more but I've never seen a basic 4 hour game go that high. Ya'll are pretty popular these days though so who knows

Well maybe it's not too late to change it. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I didn't feel like dragging my recording equipment from the Embassy Suites to just outside of the Indianapolis city limits so my friends and I aren't potting on our regular seminar this year.

We're also not at all popular so nothing of real value was lost.