Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Midnight Voyager posted:

The problem is that they feel like the other person isn't understanding the words they are saying, is responding to something they are not saying, or is just generally arguing in bad faith. That is what I was saying. I was not saying "People just want people to agree with them quickly."

You are doing the thing that I am saying is frustrating. If what you said is what you thought I said, we are not speaking the same language.

What I was trying to express:
I think the whole "omg this person doesn't agree and they're just being stubborn and twisting my words" is sort of a weird shut down discussion move that I see a lot when there's genuine difference of opinion.

That aside, I'm clearly not communicating the point I'm trying to make. Probably can't happen in a reasonable amount of words or posts so let's agree to disagree on this point and I'll not belabor the thread with the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dudeness posted:

Spam musubi is delicious, but I have no idea how anyone can look at it without realizing it's Spam. It literally looks like someone sliced a piece of Spam and slapped it down on some rice.

I'm not a huge fan but wtf it is definitely not hiding its identity.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

You don’t know what Stalker means either, I forgot to mention that before and I would feel lovely if I didn’t bring it up. Because none of her behavior is stalkerish at all.

I mean I know why you use it which is kind of lovely but still.

So would you say what she did was or wasn't sexual harassment?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

So would you say what she did was or wasn't sexual harassment?

The word Stalking is not the words Sexual Harassment. Neither is good, but they are not the same thing. Christ.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Midnight Voyager posted:

The word Stalking is not the words Sexual Harassment. Neither is good, but they are not the same thing. Christ.

I didn't say they were the same thing, let's not dodge the question.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah at this point your just randomly picking bad words in a weird desperate attempt to make this guy the hero.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

let's probably not delve too deeply into the list of hypothetical situations where arbc thinks selectively loving the people whose futures depend on your favor is totally prudent and justified

My (20f) boyfriend (25m) is an ephebophile. How do I handle this?

For the life of me, I cannot envision how that conversation must have gone down.

"I'm worried you will molest our daughter one day, seeing as you're a pedophile and all."

"Yeah, that makes sense. I won't though."

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah at this point your just randomly picking bad words in a weird desperate attempt to make this guy the hero.

Asked out coworker, got shot down, drunk dialed them later, made issues in the workplace when they started dating someone else. P textbook sexual harassment.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Now He Wants The rear end!....? (self.sex)

submitted 2 days ago by Simply4Honey

quote:

So my finance is now asking something out the blue!..

So we were home chilling one day. Luv my family time the most! And we were doing our "Sit & Slurp" Lol It's just ppl chillin listening to music and an open bar to help! When I drink I usually mellow out, go with the flow type of person. But I can hold my liquor. Lol he can't!. So he look at me suddenly.. slurring a little tryna be cute, but doing too much (Hahaa) and say, "Babe when you gone let me try that rear end?!..HeHee?"

I'm completely lost at this point!. But it hit me because, he's been asking rear end since he popped the question lol. But I'm lowkey thinking about it. Shoot we do some amazing things just us together and I realized I never allowed that boundary to be pushed? Lol I mean it's 2018 right?. Should I just try it out with him? OR keep doing me? (I've heard A lot of pro's and con's on getting hosed in the rear end.)

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My [24F] boyfriend [24M] has been really into fitness for the last year. He's muscular now and always looks in the mirror and says "Daddy lookin thicc."

quote:

Together for 4 years and our relationship is great. My boyfriend's always been a pretty skinny guy.. although I enjoyed his body. I guess he was self conscious about it so around a year ago he started going to the gym. Since then he's become pretty into the whole lifestyle. Meal planning / prep, workout supplements, going to the gym 5 times a week, etc.

Over the last few months his results have really started to show and he's sort of become self-obsessed. He always checks himself out in the mirror, will often ask me to take updated photos of his body so he can compare his physique, and has even got me to measure his arms so he can compare them to when he started. Ontop of that he'll ask me to take videos of his form for certain exercises if I'm at the gym with him and it's empty. He's always making stupid comments when he looks in the mirror like "Mmmm, daddy lookin thicc." I get he's joking but it seem to be going to his head.

Every time we're out in public together he seems to have some random girl hit on him now too. Whether they're just blatantly staring at him, or even sometimes approaching him to compliment him on whatever they can think of (watch.. tattoos.. whatever). He always abruptly shuts them down and makes a tongue-in-cheek comment later about how I've got competition. Again clearly joking.. but it's comments like these that make him seem so full of himself.

TL;DR: Skinny boyfriend got muscular and its like its gone to his head. Am I being insecure ?

Shoo shoo gainz goblin.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I mean wizard already implied he raped em

quote:

your coworkers think they have to suck your dick to get a raise

so I think mine is less of a stretch

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My finance fucks me in the rear end all the time

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

My finance fucks me in the rear end all the time

Hell :same:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

CheesyDog posted:

quote:

(I've heard A lot of pro's and con's on getting hosed in the rear end.)

If all those jokes about prison are true then Cons are the pros.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Midnight Voyager posted:

If I am told something I don't like it in a food that I do like, I go "Oh wow, really? It's not bad in this." and I continue eating it.

I don't understand how someone could go "I don't like this food, but I like this food it's in, IT IS NOW RUINED."

It does seem weird when it's cheese or something they hate, but I suppose it depends how much they hate the given food. I'd stop eating a meal I enjoyed if the chef revealed it was made from dog, as a somewhat extreme example.

E: /r/relationships: I've heard A lot of pro's and con's on getting hosed in the rear end.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 22, 2018

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Darkrenown posted:

It does seem weird when it's cheese or something they hate, but I suppose it depends how much they hate the given food. I'd stop eating a meal I enjoyed if the chef revealed it was made from dog, as a somewhat extreme example.

And this whole thing is why we have The Rocky Mountain Oysters scene from funny farm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4mqCDakVQ

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

CheesyDog posted:

submitted 2 days ago by Simply4Honey

This post is inane and the person writes like a loving idiot. Who needs to ask other people if they should have some type of sex or not, especially when they seem interested in doing so?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Me [30M] with my wife [30F] of 2 years, having problems because I went on a trip without her after she forgot her passport.

quote:

It's a little more complicated than the title suggests. The full story is that we had a sort of baby moon planned in Spain last month. My wife forgot her passport but didn't realize it until we got to the airport. We made the decision that I would stay and go if she didn't make it back in time and she'd rebook and meet me there. My wife wasn't able to make it back in time so I did board without her, but rather than rebook another flight she decided it was too expensive (even if she waited a few days) and opted to stay home instead. To be honest, I think it was also because she was upset about missing a few days and didn't feel like it would be worth it.

Now she has been very moody with me in the aftermath. I knew it was about the trip before she admitted it, but now she acknowledges that she feels upset that I went without her and had a wonderful time. She says that I "abandoned" her and is having a hard time getting past this.

I feel like she is being unfair since I boarded with the expectation that she'd rebook her ticket, but even if I had not known or thought she would, I'm not sure why she thinks it makes more sense for us to waste more money by me not going too. Why would it have been better for neither of us to go than only one? Only a crazy person would think that makes any sense.

I also want to note that I did remind her not to forget her passport since she has been extremely forgetful lately. The problem is she gets so irritable when you remind her because she doesn't "want to be treated like a child" and ignores you. I hate that she missed the trip, but there is nothing else I could have done.

She thinks I owe her an apology, but I can't see why. I didn't do anything wrong. If anything, it is her own fault and no one else's. I've tried to get her to move on from this or at least to see it from my perspective to no avail. What should I do?

tl;dr: Wife and I had a sort of baby moon planned in Spain last month. She forgot her passport and I ended up leaving without her. She decided not to rebook and meet me there and now is angry at me for going and thinks I owe her an apology.

:thunk:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

Me [30M] with my wife [30F] of 2 years, having problems because I went on a trip without her after she forgot her passport.

:thunk:

Lol what a dumbass.

“sure honey I’ll stay” psych! Lololol

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

CheesyDog posted:

Compare them in a list and tell us which side actually wins :allears:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I'd be super salty too lol

Like ok I forgot my passport but wtf man

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I'd be super salty too lol

Shoulda remembered your passport, bitch

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
So what are you doing in Spain?

Oh I'm on my babymoon.

Where's your wife?

Back in America, where else would she be?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

My husband doesn't realize that he's the one maxing out our credit card.

quote:

We've been married for 4 years, 99% of our marriage is great, the only problem is his spending.

Every time we go grocery shopping he buys 4 cans of chewing tobacco, one bottle of wine, and a 6 pack of beer. Then he gets our daughter at least one toy, and often they cost as much as 20 dollars, or he buys her a few small toys that cost less. Then he buys treats-- ice cream, cookies, sodas, sugary juice, etc. All the food he buys for himself to eat throughout the week is expensive processed foods (he won't eat my cooking because he prefers the taste of frozen pizzas and what not).

I tend to buy inexpensive whole food and ingredients to cook, like produce, canned beans, potatoes, etc. My one expensive vice is that I do buy a couple packages of sparkling water every week, but otherwise I think I'm a pretty light spender, I don't wear makeup or go shopping for entertainment or anything like that. I don't have any hobbies that cost money. I have a bad memory so I will often forget small ingredients or essentials at the store and have to go to the grocery store just down the street a couple times a week. My husband usually comes with me, and instead of just picking up the groceries he buys more toys and candy/fancy baked goods.

He buys things from amazon constantly. He just spent 300 dollars on ram for his computer. For valentines day he bought me a gaming system and several games for valentines day-- an awesome gift, but not a normal gift from a grad student to his stay-at-home-mom wife. At least once a week and often more he will ask me to go pick up packages he ordered from the apartment office, usually less expensive things. I will say that quite a bit of his spending is for other people, I mentioned recently that I wanted a book series and had added it to my wishlist. I was thinking about buying a couple of the books for my birthday. Next thing I knew he had spent 80 dollars buying me the whole series.

Many times I've tried to nicely ask him not to buy our daughter special things every week and that we need to watch our spending, he always agrees, then completely ignores me. This last shopping trip he bought a snow cone machine. I was floored. The last thing I want in my tiny kitchen is another appliance that's only going to get pulled out and used once a year, if that. On the same trip he spent 10 dollars on dvds... this one was a real head scratcher to me. We don't own a dvd player and I can't remember the last time we set up the xbox to play one, it's been at least 2 years. The dvds didn't get opened this weekend, he wanted to watch tv instead, so I imagine they're going to sit in our entertainment center unopened for a few years and eventually end up in a garage sell. All these little purchases really add up.

Today he tells me that I'm not allowed to go to the store and get some medicine and a couple of groceries for dinner because we go to store too often and it's maxing out our credit card... I'm so frustrated at this point, obviously tomato sauce and chili powder isn't maxing out our credit card, it's all the other stuff he's buying. But he seems really unaware of his over-spending behavior and I usually get the blame when we overspend. He's the type of person who always tries to buy things used or on sale, then whatever he buys ends up being crap that has to be replaced, and he buys things he wouldn't normally have just because it's a good price. But he has this image of himself as being very good with money because he’s always getting the lower quality stuff, and he's in grad school becoming an economist. He claims that my food is too expensive because it's healthy (in reality it's less expensive, I don't buy the fancy health foods or shop organic, I just have to buy more than what he buys for himself because I'm cooking for myself and our daughter) and says I need to stop drinking sparkling water. He makes it seem like everything he buys is either necessary or not a big deal, and I'm making making us go broke. I'm struggling with guilt every time I pick up a bag of carrots or need to buy shampoo, and it's just today that I'm starting to realize how ridiculous this whole situation is.

His parents are really similar, they're constantly going out to walmart, garage sales, and thrift shops for entertainment and to try to find good deals on things. I'm worried, because once he gets a job we will have tons of disposable income, and this might make his spending worse, and aside from the financial issues, I don't want our house to end up looking like his parents house with way too much stuff we don't need and a spare room packed wall to wall with stuff.

This is mostly a vent post, I figured it would be better to write this all out while I'm angry and try to sort out my thoughts. But any advice is welcome.

TL;DR: my husband overspends, thinks I'm the problem, and I'm feeling frustrated and overwhelmed. Not sure how to get him to spend less.

Find the buried lede!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

Today he tells me that I'm not allowed to go to the store and get some medicine and a couple of groceries for dinner because we go to store too often and it's maxing out our credit card... I'm so frustrated at this point, obviously tomato sauce and chili powder isn't maxing out our credit card, it's all the other stuff he's buying.

no medicine for YOU!

and of course he's a grad student. in economics. it all makes sense.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

La Brea Carpet posted:

Find the buried lede!

an economist that is a complete idiot about money?

Well I never :monocle:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i mean he does seem to have completely nailed down american economics so i dont see the problem

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i also love this one

quote:

because once he gets a job we will have tons of disposable income

mmmmmhmmm. soon, the problem will be that we have too MUCH money.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Skutter posted:

This post is inane and the person writes like a loving idiot. Who needs to ask other people if they should have some type of sex or not, especially when they seem interested in doing so?

Women do this.

Though those less idiotic than the OP usually have friends they can talk to to instead of Reddit.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

La Brea Carpet posted:

Find the buried lede!

Okay so it's tobacco and alcohol purchases.

Wait no, it's that he spent 300 on ram. Probably mines bitcoin.

Aha, it's clearly purchasing a video game system as a gift for the wife he intends to use himself.

I've got it, he's studying to be an economist!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

i also love this one

mmmmmhmmm. soon, the problem will be that we have too MUCH money.

To her credit, she’s already anticipated that he’s just going to spend more in response.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

La Brea Carpet posted:

We made the decision that I would stay and go if she didn't make it back in time and she'd rebook and meet me there.

The word 'we' is the crux of his entire post.

If he pushed her to race home alone / rebook, she has every right to be pissed. Otherwise, ehhhh

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Darkrenown posted:

E: /r/relationships: I've heard A lot of pro's and con's on getting hosed in the rear end.

:yeah:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I show up to work on time every day, do they call me Bob the Punctual Guy? No. I give great gifts in the office Secret Santa, do they call me Santa Bob? Of course not. I absolutely did not get caught making GBS threads in six out of seven of my coworkers' bag lunches, do you think they call me Bob The 85% Not The Office Shitter? No, they just call the police.

quoting this.

Bored posted:

Poor people?
But mom definitely needs to move out. She's hypersensitive because she realizes she's being an rear end in a top hat. OP should see if there's any free training for returning to work for her. Alternately, a lot of community colleges have free classes for people 65 and up. They are probably not credit classes, but she should be able to learn employable skills for free.

Brother owns a house. The mother and daughter own several cats. Boyfriend rents an apartment, as does daughter . I don't think being poor means sharing beds, but it's more like Future MIL/Mom is crazy. You are right in general though. The OP mentions he's blind and lives in a particular apartment complex meant for disabled/60+ year olds, so Future MIL could at least move out into the same apartment complex.

But seriously sharing a bed with your parents is Weird. Capital W.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I once watched someone eat about half a dozen Spam musubi (its like a spam sushi roll) going on about how good they were. She asked the host what the meat was, and when he told her, she spit her mouthful into a napkin and threw her plate in the trash.

When asked if it was a dietary thing, her answer was just ‘Spam is disgusting!’

:gonk: should have suplexed her, imo. Spam Musubi is a holy food, imo.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

La Brea Carpet posted:

Find the buried lede!

Put a stop to this poo poo, immediately. Sit him down, show him every penny of expenditure you can track, and, if he continues to not see it, go directly to a divorce lawyer. I am not kidding, at all. This poo poo will only get worse, and it will ruin your entire loving life. If you want to work through it, you need to set a hard cutoff. "You've got six months to turn this around, else I'm gone." Otherwise, it's going to be thirty years of excuses, and heartache, and the occasional month or two here and there where you really think he might be getting better, followed by a backslide, and you will never be out from under the pressure of constantly being right on the verge of ruination. There will never be enough money. His spending will grow to make sure that every penny that comes in goes right back out, + a few bucks on the credit card.

Also, get a loving SodaStream. "One or two packages" of sparkling water per week. Jesus.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

let's probably not delve too deeply into the list of hypothetical situations where arbc thinks selectively loving the people whose futures depend on your favor is totally prudent and justified

My (20f) boyfriend (25m) is an ephebophile. How do I handle this?
Hmmm

quote:

Our sex life is normal. I actually have a higher sex drive than he does

I wonder if it’s occurred to this woman that the reason she has a “higher sex drive” is that she’s no longer a pubescent teenager and that doesn’t do it for her pedo husband

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

The word 'we' is the crux of his entire post.

If he pushed her to race home alone / rebook, she has every right to be pissed. Otherwise, ehhhh

Actually he said he would not go if she didn’t make it soooo no matter what she has every right to be pissed.

It’s a pretty solid dick move.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Pick posted:

I know an absolute shitload of people who do the latter and I agree it's bizarre.

this one is simple, add another entry to the list of "people are huge whiny irrational lovely babies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Actually he said he would not go if she didn’t make it soooo no matter what she has every right to be pissed.

It’s a pretty solid dick move.

No, he did not.

quote:

We made the decision that I would stay and go if she didn't make it back in time and she'd rebook and meet me there.