Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Thanks for doing these medical drama games, ivantod. Probably wouldn't have known they existed without your LP, and I'm glad to have seen 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Geizt posted:

Thanks for the LP, Ivantod. This whole thread has been a drat ride, even if the closing game was a bit lukewarm for most of it.

I agree with this post.

the total uneven quality of this game's cases really makes me want to know what the development cycle was like but I doubt there's any post-mortem anywhere on it. Did they have really grandiose plans they had to scrap? Did they just not know what they were doing until they got to case 4? Who knows!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Psion posted:

I agree with this post.

the total uneven quality of this game's cases really makes me want to know what the development cycle was like but I doubt there's any post-mortem anywhere on it. Did they have really grandiose plans they had to scrap? Did they just not know what they were doing until they got to case 4? Who knows!

To be honest, if I had to guess, I would say this game probably had an extremely compressed release cycle in order to meet the release date of the TV show so, in another guess, I'd say that probably at least some of the writing was done by different people in parallel. I didn't really bother to check in the credits, but the extreme unevenness does make it look like that. As for the grandiose plans, I honestly doubt it. This conclusion I draw from a stunning fact of which I only became aware more recently when I decided to look around the website that hosted the walkthrough I was following for Batista.

And the stunning fact is that in Japan apparently making game adaptations/tie-ins of TV shows for handheld consoles like DS is surprisingly common! I couldn't believe it, but here are a couple more examples that I found by browsing around on that website:

"Partners" (相棒): Wikipedia (English)

"The Negotiator" (交渉人): Wikipedia (Japanese, couldn't find anything in english)

"Galileo" (ガリレオ) Wikipedia (English)

So, apparently this is a thing in Japan, I had no idea! Based on this, I doubt any of these are shooting for any kind of masterpiece level, but it would be nice to have a bit more consistency in quality that in Team Batista...

Although to be honest, that last one (Galileo) is looking somewhat interesting...

Oh, why do I do this to myself...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ivantod posted:

Although to be honest, that last one (Galileo) is looking somewhat interesting...

oh no you don't

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ivantod posted:

Oh, why do I do this to myself...

You do it for us.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm kinda digging this one, it has a chintzy charm to it :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, there's no rule that says a tie-in game has to be terrible...

If you think there's something worth seeing I definitely look forward to seeing it, though.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Ok, so since apparently I have absolutely no self control whatsoever, I have started looking at one of the games mentioned above, specifically "Galileo".

Weirdly enough, it's again based on a TV show that's based on a series of books! The books are about a police detective and an eccentric university professor who together solve weird crimes which at first often seem like they have been caused by something supernatural! The quality of the stories should be better as apparently all cases in the game are based on the TV episodes, and not written separately for the game!

This sounds pretty interesting to me, and the base game mechanics appear similar to those of Batista, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, unlike Batista, this game features quite a bombastic intro animation which I have uploaded here (make sure to turn on subtitles, as there are a couple of lines of Japanese text shown). Oh yeah, the MPEG compression artifacts on the video are already present in the original as they didn't want to have it take too much space on the DS cartridge, so nothing I can do there!

So have a look and tell me what you think, but I think I'll go ahead and do at least the beginning of the game so we can see what it looks like... and if it's worth proceeding.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

*dramatic pan*

= sin(θ)/cos(θ) = tan(θ)

I'm fuken down for intense trigonometric investigations. At least our protag is looking p cool.

EDIT: So this is basically Japenese gender-swapped Bones (the tv show)?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 18, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I hope Yukawa is as much of a dork as he looks. I'm excited to find that out.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

EDIT: So this is basically Japenese gender-swapped Bones (the tv show)?

Huh, I didn't really think about it in that way, but I guess you're right, it does look a little bit like that!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 18, 2018

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ivantod posted:

Ok, so since apparently I have absolutely no self control whatsoever, I have started looking at one of the games mentioned above, specifically "Galileo".

Bless you, ivantod :allears:

Consider me stoked for this!

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
The Galileo drama (except episode 4 for some reason) is available on Crunchyroll.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I feel like there may need to be an intervention at some point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mraagvpeine posted:

I feel like there may need to be an intervention at some point.

We may need to get a doctor after all of this is over.

Preferably, one without Parkinson's.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Blaze Dragon posted:

We may need to get a doctor after all of this is over.

Preferably, one without Parkinson's.
You fool, then we'll just get one involved in organ trade!

Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009
Great job showcasing these interesting Japanese medical drama games, especially going back to recap the first LifeSigns. I've been following the thread for what must be a couple years now and was ready to say goodbye to it, but now I have to see at least some of Galileo since I've read Higashino's Salvation of a Saint and some of The Devotion of Suspect X (which admittedly I didn't really get into but I should pick it up again). For your sake, I don't know whether I should hope that it's interesting or if it's bad enough that you decide to drop it quickly...

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Pine Bamboo Plum posted:

Great job showcasing these interesting Japanese medical drama games, especially going back to recap the first LifeSigns. I've been following the thread for what must be a couple years now and was ready to say goodbye to it, but now I have to see at least some of Galileo since I've read Higashino's Salvation of a Saint and some of The Devotion of Suspect X (which admittedly I didn't really get into but I should pick it up again). For your sake, I don't know whether I should hope that it's interesting or if it's bad enough that you decide to drop it quickly...

Oh, by the way, thanks for reminding me!

In case anybody gets interested in this, unlike in case of Batista, these books HAVE been translated and properly released in English! Here are the English editions so you can search for them in your favourite shop!

Incidentally, the translation is by Alexander O. Smith, of all people!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Haifisch posted:

You fool, then we'll just get one involved in organ trade!

It's fine, I know a guy who works for an unscrupulous land owner. The local shaman checks out too.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
That ending escalation certainly got incredibly Life Signs. I would not be surprised to find Tendo tasked with a sudden multi patient transplant operation.

Also all the talk about tv show games and medical stuff is making me think that if some of the older combo genre medical shows like Diagnosis Murder had happened in more modern times, we'd almost certainly get game tie-ins with them, too.

ivantod posted:

Even though in the end maybe it turns out to be a little simpler than expected, to me in an Ace Attorney style game, this would have been a solid second case just after the tutorial (where the already existing first case in this game could still remain), possibly even introducing a thread that will be revisited in the last case (governmental corruption, etc.).

Thinking about it and considering the first Ace Attorney's 2nd case, these two do share a lot in common.
Mentor from first case gets ousted, but returns at the end to finish their personal arc.
Female investigation partner gets in trouble, but joins up permanently at the end.
Corruption and secrets are uncovered, but some things are left unknown to be later plots.
High-placed pressure puts the heroes in a bad spot, which they overcome through perseverance.
Murder and extortion, though to a lesser degree in this game.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Hey everybody!

I am already working on the first update for "Galileo"--it's almost done and it will be posted tomorrow!

However, since the game looks really good and way better than Batista, I thought I would give you already a small preview today.

So here it is, just a small bit from the beginning of the game, and come over and visit tomorrow for the rest!

-----------------------------------------------

Let's begin!

For some reason, the game menu is actually in English.

I guess this is a good moment to mention that this will work in the same way like Batista, i.e. that I will try to "edit" the translated text into the actual screenshot whenever possible (which should be most of the time) in a way that makes it look similar in style to the original text that was in the game. I feel doing it like that makes for an easier time while reading and is not really a big extra effort on my side to do so--normally I simply put the translated texts and other necessary info in a text file and run a script that converts the screenshots that I took from a gameplay video, therefore once the scripts are done this is actually faster to do than it would be otherwise!

What I'm trying to say is that the rest of the game is of course Japanese-only and the usual caveats apply regarding the quality of the translation. In the end, we should be able at least to follow the story if nothing else!

And now, let's finally click that "New Game" button! Incidentally, there are five chapters in this game!

So, here is the beginning of our fist case. The game has quite a cinematic intro!

Well, this looks like some kind of audio recording setup?

Every human belongs to one or the other group. Of course, the majority of people will belong to the second group.
The fate of an ordinary person... an ordinary person is at all times supposed to be a subordinate to a genius. In addition, there is no right for them to go above the law.

But, his recording session...

...is suddenly interrupted by two youths cruising by on an extremely noisy motorbike.

Our nameless friend is not very happy about this.

Number 2 is the jerk on the left, just for reference.

Ahahahahahaha!

As you can already probably tell, this game has much more expressive character portraits than Batista! In general, artistically this game is definitely far ahead.

Also, let's not forget about our mysterious person whom they have disturbed by their noise. It's not conveyed here, but in fact, they are throwing around firecrackers during this conversation! Yes, I know, there is no way of even knowing this if your only exposure to this story is the game!

I told you not to throw them so close!

Suddenly he pulls out a phone (with an apparently cracked screen?) and dials a number.

At this moment, there is a sound of something igniting, like a match being lighted...

...and it's Youth #2's head that ignites, in fact!

Shortly, he falls on the ground, dead.

Well, at least we know the name of the first guy now. On an even more positive side, at it also puts and end to that inane conversation.

This game has occasional bits of naration like this, by our main character... who we are about to meet.

She's just running down this hallway!

And here she is, just slightly out of breath! By the way, the game gives you these nice title cards whenever a new character appears! Neat!

Speaking of which, I should mention that, as before, without exceptions the names will be shown in the Japanese order--family name first, given name second. There is no particular reason for this choice, but I had to pick something to be consistent!

As mentioned, Kaoru is a rookie detective, so she's going to be getting a fair amount of attitude from her superiors. On the other hand, forgetting your mobile phone when you're on duty is a bit of a silly thing to do. Nevertheless, she's not nearly as incompetent as Murakami and certainly far far less annoying.

S-sorry, I will be more careful from now on!

For as long as I can remember I've always wanted to be a detective! But of course, you can't simply start working as a detective. I had to work hard to come this far, but the real game starts here! Everyone treats me as a rookie, but to be honest, I haven't had to confront a real tough case yet anyway. However, tonight was going to be different; even I as a rookie could tell that. This one is going to be a toughie!

Sometimes, I will also use the quote icon to signify narration to avoid repeated screenshots, like here!

Incidentally, in the TV show, Utsumi is portrayed by Shibasaki Kou, and looks pretty much exactly the same as the character in the game:

In fact, this time around, the game characters have been modelled on their real-life counterparts!

Utsumi! Stop daydreaming, and let's go!
Yes sir!

On the way to the incident scene, Utsumi is driving...

Well... it's about the case... can you give me some details?
Oh, fine. But listen to me very carefully, because I will not repeat myself!

Talk: "About the case".

Hey! Eyes on the road! Be careful!
Oh... sorry! S-so, what's the condition of the victim?
Instant death.

That's what we have to find out, since we're the detectives.
Ah, yes.

And so we got our first item for our court recordsevidence log. It's marked as "Lv. 1" which generally means that this is the first time we've heard about this topic. If we gather more information it might get upgraded to Lv. 2 and so on. It's not really a mechanic that needs to be thought about too much as the game is largely linear and won't let us proceed without having gathered everything.

-----------------------------------------------

Hopefully, this seems interesting to you too... in which case, please come back tomorrow for lots more! It will be one of my typical monster updates!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 21, 2018

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Looking great! I'd been interested in the TV drama but never got around to watching, so this should be a fun ride.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ivantod posted:

Instant death.

Normally I'd make fun of her for this, but a guy dropping dead almost instantly just from having his hair set on fire does seem pretty weird, not to mention the question of how the fire started in the first place.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Yeah, people don't just burn to death, they get burned to death. In a fire usually.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This looks like a step up from the Batista game for sure!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah this looks cool! The art style looks way better.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

And so, as promised, here is the full first update of Galileo! It's a monster, so make sure you're comfortable.

Let's begin!

For some reason, the game menu is actually in English.

I guess this is a good moment to mention that this will work in the same way like Batista, i.e. that I will try to "edit" the translated text into the actual screenshot whenever possible (which should be most of the time) in a way that makes it look similar in style to the original text that was in the game. I feel doing it like that makes for an easier time while reading and is not really a big extra effort on my side to do so--normally I simply put the translated texts and other necessary info in a text file and run a script that converts the screenshots that I took from a gameplay video, therefore once the scripts are done this is actually faster to do than it would be otherwise!

What I'm trying to say is that the rest of the game is of course Japanese-only and the usual caveats apply regarding the quality of the translation. In the end, we should be able at least to follow the story if nothing else!

And now, let's finally click that "New Game" button! Incidentally, there are five chapters in this game!

So, here is the beginning of our fist case. The game has quite a cinematic intro!

Well, this looks like some kind of audio recording setup?

Every human belongs to one or the other group. Of course, the majority of people will belong to the second group.
The fate of an ordinary person... an ordinary person is at all times supposed to be a subordinate to a genius. In addition, there is no right for them to go above the law.

But, his recording session...

...is suddenly interrupted by two youths cruising by on an extremely noisy motorbike.

Our nameless friend is not very happy about this.

Number 2 is the jerk on the left, just for reference.

Ahahahahahaha!

As you can already probably tell, this game has much more expressive character portraits than Batista! In general, artistically this game is definitely far ahead.

Also, let's not forget about our mysterious person whom they have disturbed by their noise. It's not conveyed here, but in fact, they are throwing around firecrackers during this conversation! Yes, I know, there is no way of even knowing this if your only exposure to this story is the game!

I told you not to throw them so close!

Suddenly he pulls out a phone (with an apparently cracked screen?) and dials a number.

At this moment, there is a sound of something igniting, like a match being lighted...

...and it's Youth #2's head that ignites, in fact!

Shortly, he falls on the ground, dead.

Well, at least we know the name of the first guy now. On an even more positive side, at it also puts and end to that inane conversation.

This game has occasional bits of naration like this, by our main character... who we are about to meet.

She's just running down this hallway!

And here she is, just slightly out of breath! By the way, the game gives you these nice title cards whenever a new character appears! Neat!

Speaking of which, I should mention that, as before, without exceptions the names will be shown in the Japanese order--family name first, given name second. There is no particular reason for this choice, but I had to pick something to be consistent!

As mentioned, Kaoru is a rookie detective, so she's going to be getting a fair amount of attitude from her superiors. On the other hand, forgetting your mobile phone when you're on duty is a bit of a silly thing to do. Nevertheless, she's not nearly as incompetent as Murakami and certainly far far less annoying.

S-sorry, I will be more careful from now on!

For as long as I can remember I've always wanted to be a detective! But of course, you can't simply start working as a detective. I had to work hard to come this far, but the real game starts here! Everyone treats me as a rookie, but to be honest, I haven't had to confront a real tough case yet anyway. However, tonight was going to be different; even I as a rookie could tell that. This one is going to be a toughie!

Sometimes, I will also use the quote icon to signify narration to avoid repeated screenshots, like here!

Incidentally, in the TV show, Utsumi is portrayed by Shibasaki Kou, and looks pretty much exactly the same as the character in the game:

In fact, this time around, the game characters have been modelled on their real-life counterparts!

Utsumi! Stop daydreaming, and let's go!
Yes sir!

On the way to the incident scene, Utsumi is driving...

Well... it's about the case... can you give me some details?
Oh, fine. But listen to me very carefully, because I will not repeat myself!

Talk: "About the case".

Instant death.

That's what we have to find out, since we're the detectives.
Ah, yes.

And so we got our first item for our court recordsevidence log. It's marked as "Lv. 1" which generally means that this is the first time we've heard about this topic. If we gather more information it might get upgraded to Lv. 2 and so on. It's not really a mechanic that needs to be thought about too much as the game is largely linear and won't let us proceed without having gathered everything.

Talk: "Do we know the name of the victim?"

Talk: "Are there any eyewitnesses?"

Yuge-san, is something wrong?
Nah, just this handwriting is terrible. Wake me up when we arrive.

Yes!
You're good over here.
Huh? What do you mean?

So, stay here and keep an eye on the onlookers and see if anybody saw anything, ok?

But then...

Talk: "What are you doing here at this time of night?"

Eh? What are you talking about?

A red thread? What do you mean by that?
I'm searching for the red thread...
......?

Talk: "Where is your mother?"

Mother is somewhere here...
Eh?

Talk: "What's your name?"

...Ogawa... Mana.

Yes, I am.
Your mother is over there looking for you, together with your older brother.
Um...
Oh, did you find her?

Eh, um, I...
All right, now let's go to your mother, then.
Yup. Thank you big sis!

Well, that was certainly weird.

(I'm not doing any detective work... what the heck did I even come here for...)
Why the long face, rookie?
Huh?

Did you finish the investigation?
Looks like they are sending oldtimers home first...
Well, you're not and oldtimer yet...

Wait, you just said...

Well, that is...
Well, if you have nothing else to do here, then give me a lift to the station?
Sure.

Eh... well, I...
Well, judging by that face, it seems...
Yes...

And not a moment too soon, we have arrived back at the station!

No worries...

Yes?

(That's right, everybody has a bit of a rough time at first. Therefore I must work hard!)

At this point, the game finally decides to introduce its menu options. I'm not going to be spending too much time on it right now, we'll cover it as we go, but suffice it to say, if you know how the gameplay in Ace Attorney works, then you know how gameplay in this game works. The basic options are there, like moving around and presenting stuff, and the rest we'll cover as it appears.

Just as a side comment, so far this feels so much better than Batista. The story is actually moving and the game seems to be avoding getting into endless conversations that lead nowhere!

For now, though, we'll go back inside the station.

Oh, yeah, here's what the move screen looks like. As you can see, it's basically identical to Ace Attorney. Normally I will convey verbally or in some other way when we are changing location, so you won't really be seeing this screen very often!

The case of the Denenchoufu ratman. The Kamata telekinesis murder case. The Haneda levitation case... And so on and so on... Anyway, when Kusanagi-san is in charge, any kind of difficult case is solved at once. Just... a "Mystery Hunter", that's the only name I can give him. Even though such a great person was working alongside me, I could never get over my nervousness to really talk to him. However, Kusanagi-san is transferring over to the headquarters in a few days, and I may never again meet such a great detective...

Denenchoufu, Kamata and Haneda are all places in and around Tokyo. The Haneda one is actually a bit funny because, as you might know, that's where one of the Tokyo airports is located, so it's only fitting that that's where the levitation case happened.

Oh, and just to allay any fears. There is nothing supernatural in these stories--the whole point of these cases is that they look supernatural, but then turn out to have a natural explanation for what happened!

So, what's going on, Utsumi?

Talk: "About the work of a detective."

Since I come from a country where, unlike Japan (or USA) nobody ever plays baseball, you'll have to forgive me if I get any baseball references wrong! Sorry!

(What does he even mean?)

Uh... I've heard that you worked as a decoy on the trains and managed to arrest 60 molesters all on your own?
In fact, it was 65.
Every morning I had to put on a miniskirt and get on a commuter train.
Wow...
A few times I even had to wear a sailor suit school uniform...

And just as this conversation (which is actually directly taken from the TV show!) is threatening to get REALLY uncomfortable, we are interrupted.

Mm-hm.

Hmm, so he was with the deceased all night?
I guess at this point, he's the only witness in this case...
The only witness, huh? Ok...

Well, not quite... what about the little girl and her funny story?

Really?
Well, if you don't want to...
But if I want to be called a detective, there is no other way but to just jump into it...
So what will it be, Utsumi?

Well, let's go there then.

Your name is Mukai Kazuhiko, right?
There seems to be no mistake then.

Eh? But I've never...
Everyone is an amateur at the beginning!
Yes! I will try it!

(Interrogation start)

Let's see... your name is...

And so, this is kind of similar like in Ace Attorney, when judge asks you a question. You have give the right answer, otherwise you lose a bit of your health bar (top left). If it's all gone, it's game over. In order to preserve a more natural feel of the dialogue, I won't bother with stopping to tell you all the choices in every instance (unless there is something funny), but I will let you know when we are in this mode by using the screenshot above with the big letters on it! For this particular question, we have to pick the correct name of the three listed, which would be easy even if we haven't just been told his name!

Mukai Kazuhiko, right?
Yeah.
All right, I just wanted to check.
And all this happened at the place named... Flower Walk.
Great, looks like you got it!
So, when you came to the scene, it was... by motorcycle.
Yeah.
They were both on the same motorcycle and that was without a helmet even!
All right, Utsumi, please continue.
All right, now I will ask you a few questions.

(Interrogation finished)

So this is kind of a bit silly, because the one who is being iterrogated in these sequences is really us, but what can you do. This is a bit of an equivaled of those "reviews" from Batista, except you can fail and it's over a lot faster. Anyway, now on to the real questions here.

Talk: "What the heck happened there?"

Did you not hear me?

...Suddenly?

Talk: "What's your relation to the deceased?"

From all the way back then, huh?

Talk: "You've been doing drugs, haven't you...?"

We really don't seem to be getting a whole lot out of him... in fact he seems rather shocked at the moment.

Could it be that you caused his head to catch fire with one of those things?

Again, there is no animation for this, but here he freaks out and starts trashing the room!

A bit later, outside...

Yeah...

Well, it's been a long night. But as the day breaks at the police station...

...our work continues.

Our next destination is the medical examiner's office.

Yes.
From now on, you'll probably be coming here all the time...

Over here is our charming medical examiner, Jounouchi Sakurako-san.

All right, then please come to the autopsy room as soon as you are ready.
Yes!
Mr. Mystery Hunter, let's the two of us go ahead then.
Lay off already...

Let's head to the autopsy room then.

Sorry to have kept you waiting!

Nah, I'm good.
How about you, Utsumi-san?

Here we have a choice, we can say "yes", "no", and we can also ask what it's for. Since we don't know, let's first ask what it's for.

Menthol rub under the nose? I'm sorry, I don't know what it's for...
Well, let me explain... it has a nice smell, but it's only for rookies.
If you rub this under your nose, it will block some smell.
...but it really doesn't have a huge effect.
Huh. I see.

So, we can then say that yes, we want to use it... but Kusanagi will say that it's not really necessary, so the only way to move forward is to say no.

Nah, I'm good. Kusanagi-san doesn't need any either.
Are you sure?
Yeah.
Utsumi, you better not complain to me later!

This is kind of funny, because, as already mentioned, he won't let us go with in the first place!

All right, then let's begin.

Here, we are spared it. But in the TV show they actually show you the corpse with a charred head.

Well, yes, everything above the head is completely burned.
*gag*

Nnnngh...
Utsumi, are you all right?

Then, how about that autopsy?
Gotcha.

So much so, that the face cannot even be determined. Direct cause of death is a heart attack due to extreme shock. But the burning was enough to carbonise the skull.
Utsumi, do you have any questions for Jounouchi-san?
J-just give me a second...
Are you really all right?
N-no problem!

Well, let's see what else we can find out here.

Talk: "Are there any other external wounds?"

No, I have not been able to find any.

Talk: "Have you found anyting that might have been the fuel?"

Fuel? Oh, you mean something that might have accelerated the burning? Something like gasoline or kerosene... no I didn't smell anything.
What about gunpowder?
No, not that either.

Talk: "Is there anything else that you can say about this?"

Hm?
Well, I can't understand why the head caught on fire.
A mysterious incident?
Yes, exactly, I guess that's the right word!

And, here we get our first Lv.2 information! So, that's a pretty simple mechanic.

Well, I guess that's about everything for the autopsy...

Ah, really? Thank you!
Oh, I still owe you the death certificate, but I'm a bit busy today. Please come by tomorrow if you have time to pick it up.

This is certainly true to the TV show where Utsumi and Jounouchi easily become friends and confidantes.

We can definitely try to say no to this, but then Utsumi gets worried that this is Kusanagi testing her. So we have to say yes. This game is about as linear as Batista, but it still does a better job about not seeming quite so bad somehow.

I see. Then I know exactly the place!

And by "beef bowl", I mean Gyuudon, something like this:

By Ocdp - Own work, CC0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=25909530

Everything all right?
Ah, yes...
(Is this a test for becoming a detective? But maybe I could...)

Here, Utsumi has three options.

First option is to add some pickled red ginger. Then our bowl would look like this after having added it:

By jetalone from Higashi-Ginza, Tokyo - Flickr, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2181042

The other option is to add some spicy red chilies. Check out this beauty:

And the third option is to eat it simply as it is. This is all a bit of a joke, but the only good option is to add some ginger. If you decide to add chili, it's not really enough and she can still taste the meat. On the other hand, if you eat it as it is, it just causes her to almost throw up. But none of it has any influence on the plot. So, let's just do the ginger.

You've put so much red ginger, you can't even see the meat... do you like it so much?
Y-yes... L-let's eat then...

Yes!

You know what that means!

(Interrogation start)

Let's get through this!

Well then, with the victim, where was he burned?
Certainly, it was his head. It was burned from the neck to the top of the head.
I guess it looked a bit like this beef bowl.
How many people have witnessed the incident directly, so far?
It was one person, Mukai Kazuhiko. He's the only witness for now.
What did the medical examiner say was the cause of the burning?
Well, the truth is... she doesn't know.
Right. She said, she never saw something like that so far.
Utsumi, was there any other kind of eyewitness account that might be helpful?
I think there was...

Here the game gives us a brief tutorial about the "presenting" mechanic. But since this is exactly the same as in Ace Attorney and all other games, I will skip it.

Suffice it to say that we get this kind of screen with all the possible choices and in this case, of course, we are selecting the little girl's profile.

I was talking to that kid a bit... what was it that she said... um...
...She saw a red thread. In the night sky... a red thread.
But what does that mean?
I also have no idea...
Well, ok, that's it for now.

(Interrogation finished)

Well, before we finish for now, there is just one more thing we need to do...

*scribble* *scribble*

You should go visit this person.

Yukawa... Manabu?

It's been a while since I had to do this, but there is a reason for her puzzlement over the name. The first name Manabu is written with this kanji: , which normally means stuff like study, education, science and similar. So I guess it's a bit of a name chosen on purpose.

Well. I guess next time we'll go and see the wizard. The professor. I mean the professor.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I love that this LP thread has just become all about obscure Japanese games.

I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop on this competant-so-far game and the reveal being that it's Parkinson's-induced head combustion.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop on this competant-so-far game and the reveal being that it's Parkinson's-induced head combustion.

He shook so hard he caught on fire, mystery solved hunted.

In all seriousness, this is an interesting start at least, characters are properly introduced and from the get-go Utsumi doesn't come across as horribly incompetent on even the most basic of levels and completely unfitting for her job like Murakami did, so that's progress even if it is on a different game.

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

It'd be real hard to seem as completely incompetent as Murakami, really. Like, having a basic idea of what your job entails puts you miles past him immediately.

Props to this game for going straight to 'there are no laws for a genius' for the guy who's probably the killer for the first case, too. Normally you don't get crazies like that until halfway through the game.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I dig that this avoids the usual Ace Attorney problem of having everything be too obvious in the first case. Although that's probably because of this game's 'seemingly impossible/magical things have a rational explanation' gimmick. And the fact that we haven't met the Napkin Professor yet. :v:

Ibblebibble posted:

I love that this LP thread has just become all about obscure Japanese games.
:same:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Discussing charred human corpses is ok but swearing is a no-no huh?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There just seems to have been a little more legwork here, is all, so that the "rookie mistakes" are things like, well, not dealing well with the sights and smells of a charred human corpse, which I imagine are quite relatable for most people playing the game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
And Kusanagi seems to be shaping up as a rough equivalent of the Shiratori character, except he's slightly less obnoxious and doesn't look like he's going to have Shiratori's tendency to be one step ahead of the protagonist in a way that makes our efforts irrelevant.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I dunno about crimes, but I could murder one of those beef bowls right now.

Geizt posted:

Props to this game for going straight to 'there are no laws for a genius' for the guy who's probably the killer for the first case, too. Normally you don't get crazies like that until halfway through the game.

I hate those types, but seeing one be busted by a rookie detective on her first case would be pretty gratifying.

I like Jounouchi. I guess I've always been fond of the stock character of the ghoulish medical examiner.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

I dunno about crimes, but I could murder one of those beef bowls right now.

I hate those types, but seeing one be busted by a rookie detective on her first case would be pretty gratifying.

I like Jounouchi. I guess I've always been fond of the stock character of the ghoulish medical examiner.

Jounouchi reminds me of Abbie from NCIS.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
All the characters seem a lot more loveable so far, and I really appreciate that Utsumi shows off she's a newbie in a way that makes sense ('I can't eat a beef bowl after smelling a burnt corpse without disguising it') and not in a way that makes it seem like everyone who let them into the department was straight up asleep at the wheel ('I'm afraid of hospitals and also dumb as a post!').

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Just gonna echo that this is pretty great and already handles plot and characterization way more competently than the last game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Leraika posted:

All the characters seem a lot more loveable so far, and I really appreciate that Utsumi shows off she's a newbie in a way that makes sense ('I can't eat a beef bowl after smelling a burnt corpse without disguising it') and not in a way that makes it seem like everyone who let them into the department was straight up asleep at the wheel ('I'm afraid of hospitals and also dumb as a post!').

Even having a character that's got issues with entering a hospital isn't a total issue if Murakami actually show him getting over it, instead of needing to be cajoled everytime, but yeah the fact he's incredibly dumb and insensitive is the real deal breaker.

Utsumi on the other hand just has new job jitters, and also cripes the poor girl getting used as groper bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
A new game is very exciting.

I... think I might have watched the first episode of this show. The head burning is very familiar (although I don't remember anything about how it was resolved).

I kept forgetting to mention it, but I really like how you do the small dialogue portraits. Putting their name on the side is a really nice touch.