Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what the gently caress was going on in irithyll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

isn't that the subtitle of the game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tollymain posted:

aurora borealis

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
What's the most op quality build? I've got a shirtless priest who I haven't planned past miracles/darkness + quality. I'm currently dicking around with a hollowslayer greatsword, the deep axe that you come across, and a broadsword

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nonexistence posted:

That part of my post was meant as an illustrative list of topics that frequently cause dark souls arguments that devolve into both sides just throwing shade on each other but bless your heart for humoring me.
I have to take it seriously because so many people still truly believe poise does nothing in ds3. and also my internet bushido

KingSlime posted:

What's the most op quality build? I've got a shirtless priest who I haven't planned past miracles/darkness + quality. I'm currently dicking around with a hollowslayer greatsword, the deep axe that you come across, and a broadsword
I don't believe quality is ever OP, but pontiff curved sword is one of the best 1v1 weapons in the game and is an uninfusable quality weapon, so probably grab that

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
hmm what about in terms of pve

I kind of want to crush the dlc this time around, I'm not as good as I should be for someone who has sunk over 200 hours into this drat game...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
well, in pve all curved swords are basically great because they're fast, and if you also grab a good poise weapon there's really nothing else you'd need

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
dope, and I just happened to step into irythill with this character so this is pefect timing

thanks!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Started my NG+ run since I still have achievements to collect, but that's boring so I'm in the upper swamp right now.

I set myself to Way of the Blue, slapped on an obscuring ring, and used the dried finger to see if anyone would show up. SL140+10, seems fairly active. Went well until one of my own guys dragged the invaders to me and killed my fight night show.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

armor poise actually has functioned in ds3 for a long time though

It doesn't work the way it did in DS1 so it doesn't actually work correctly

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok, but why are there two curved sword movesets in the game, and one is clearly just better than the other, with longer reach and smoother movements?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I used my rusted coins and farmed like 80k worth of souls killing silver knights hoping to get a spear before I looked it up and realized they don't drop in this game, sux, I liked the Silver Knight Spear a lot in DS1 on my giant dad character. What spears do you guys like? I have a Fire Partizan +5 and I really like how I can poke from behind my shield, but the pokes are so bad compared to hits from my straight sword i can't justify it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Apparently the best spear is the saint bident. The lothric knight spear is also pretty good. But most weapons are going to look worse than a straight sword because those are just strictly better than so much else.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Curved swords and thrusting swords are roughly on par with straight swords, arguably situationally better because they're both faster while having competitive damage. They're just harder to use because they encourage significantly more aggro/defensive playstyles respectively, while straight swords are super jack of all trades

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Rapiers/TS have ruled for the entire duration of the franchise, and I'm kinda glad that the reiterpallasch wasn't a starting weapon in Bloodborne because I know I would've just picked it and used it and not experimented with the weirder, cooler poo poo in it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Frog Act posted:

I used my rusted coins and farmed like 80k worth of souls killing silver knights hoping to get a spear before I looked it up and realized they don't drop in this game, sux, I liked the Silver Knight Spear a lot in DS1 on my giant dad character. What spears do you guys like? I have a Fire Partizan +5 and I really like how I can poke from behind my shield, but the pokes are so bad compared to hits from my straight sword i can't justify it

The best spear in DS3 is the Lothric Knight Sword.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

can sweetFX get you softbanned?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I might try out some curved swords for funsies they sound pretty dope. So I just bought the DLC, mostly because of the awesome weapons they have, like the twin greatswords and the twinned weapon with the claws and the sword. I read you can start them at level 80, and I'm like 82 and just got into Anor Londo and opened the big pair of doors, this place is way less irritating w/o the giant guards and lightning jerks, but I was very upset the giant was dead D: so I'm gonna bang my head against whatever boss is here, then go try Ashes cus I heard its very short and thus I assume I can at least get one of the weapons quickish

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Holy mackerel, Aldrich is really hard, I put down my summon to help people so I could scope out the boss before doing it myself and got murdered by the rain of arrows he does three times, then once by this sliding cut he does with his spear. Gonna take me quite awhile to get a hang of this guy

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Frog Act posted:

Holy mackerel, Aldrich is really hard, I put down my summon to help people so I could scope out the boss before doing it myself and got murdered by the rain of arrows he does three times, then once by this sliding cut he does with his spear. Gonna take me quite awhile to get a hang of this guy
Try Sprinting

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I did it a bit more and killed him three times, now I just gotta do it myself. No summons around, though, so I gotta go solo. I guess that explains why I get summoned so quickly in all these NG mid-game bosses, people dont seem to bother helping with them much, presumably cus this is like their tenth time through and they're playing some ridiculous gimmick character (like half the people I help are something ludicrous and wearing some kinda giant hat, one was a painstakingly reproduced Kratos from god of war)

I'm fine with taking it slow though it keeps me slightly overleveled which is ideal because I am not gud

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Aldrich's goopy butt takes a ton of damage from fire. Chaos Bed Vestiges is super easy mode but even fire weapons seem to do a ton of extra damage to him.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Frog Act posted:

I recently had to kill him as a sorcerer and pestilent mercury did most of the work. If you stay slightly out of your melee range in front of him (but within the range of his glaive) you can bait out attacks most of the time. Roll in for swipes, out for lifehunt scythe. The trick lies in getting/staying there between teleports so that he prefers to try to melee you instead of setting up arrows -> beam spam while you're running for dear life and also fighting the camera

Getting stunlocked by the fire when trying to cast is bullshit though

Now that I got into the DLCs sorcerer is feeling a lot better, but jesus christ why are great soul dregs (with no viable dark sorcery beforehand), the crystal chime, and simple infusions locked behind 3/4 of the game? As janky as miracles are in this game, you get lightning stake in the same zone as great chaos fireball and they will carry you through most of the game. Every boss I really struggled with was both magic resistant and immune to poison/toxic.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Every boss I really struggled with was both magic resistant and immune to poison/toxic.

Try amazing pyromancy.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Woo finally got round to clearing the base game was about level 90 when I did it but hey got there using a +5 Black Knight Sword.

Had to get help for the Nameless King and twin princes but I managed to one shot the end boss because he was basically a big PvP fight.

Onto the DLC!

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I seriously tried to beat the Nameless King like 50 times got frustrated and played the DLCs instead, and then yesterday morning decided to try him again yesterday morning and beat him on the third try with a smooth fight.

I guess I got gud-ish?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Shear Modulus posted:

Apparently the best spear is the saint bident. The lothric knight spear is also pretty good. But most weapons are going to look worse than a straight sword because those are just strictly better than so much else.

Lothric War Banner style points are off the charts though. Plus you can use it as a scholar's candlestick for miracles.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Laminator posted:

I seriously tried to beat the Nameless King like 50 times got frustrated and played the DLCs instead, and then yesterday morning decided to try him again yesterday morning and beat him on the third try with a smooth fight.

I guess I got gud-ish?

My big issue was the camera on the first half. I could not dodge that fire breathing attack because I couldn't tell if he was flying away or flying to breath deep.

And also I had like 50 embers to burn so yeah poped a couple got some summons and went at it. Still only got him on try 3 with 2 allies, one died immediately in the 2nd phase and I ran out of flasks and survived on like 20 hp.

Boss was intense. Got his cool spear though. Shame it sucks.

Edit: any advice for starting a pyromancer? I know the eventual goal is 40/40 faith/int for stats but am not sure where to go from there. I got a longsword with raw gem right away so I can hit things and fireball has helped cheese more most on the highway including the boss. I'm wearing lothric knight chess and gloves ATM as they dropped for me and they still keep me under 70% weight, should I go lighter?.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 23, 2018

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Gridlocked posted:

Edit: any advice for starting a pyromancer? I know the eventual goal is 40/40 faith/int for stats but am not sure where to go from there. I got a longsword with raw gem right away so I can hit things and fireball has helped cheese more most on the highway including the boss. I'm wearing lothric knight chess and gloves ATM as they dropped for me and they still keep me under 70% weight, should I go lighter?.

The important part is reaching smoldering lake as soon as possible. I would just go for 20 to 27 vit, any weapons or armor you're comfortable with and the minimum melee stats to use them. Then go for 20 attunement, intelligence and faith, usually as needed for spells. Raw axe is good enough, but caestus is pretty fun. Boulder heave is a fun pyromancy that does a lot of damage and is available at Farron Keep.

Then do demon ruins and smoldering lake and you are set. Use great chaos fire orb or chaos bed vestiges and watch how the game became easy mode.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

My big issue was the camera on the first half. I could not dodge that fire breathing attack because I couldn't tell if he was flying away or flying to breath deep.

And also I had like 50 embers to burn so yeah poped a couple got some summons and went at it. Still only got him on try 3 with 2 allies, one died immediately in the 2nd phase and I ran out of flasks and survived on like 20 hp.

Boss was intense. Got his cool spear though. Shame it sucks.

Less than 30% weight gives you more distance on your roll and jump attacks. According to fextralife equipment load has no other effects under 70%, so if your current load out is working then that's as good as it's going to get, game mechanics wise.

You should totally try playing around with an equip load at less than 30% at some point though. The roll distance difference isn't huge, but it feels amazing. Speckled stoneplate ring and ring of steel protection can help with damage mitigation.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Gridlocked posted:

Level int to 22ish before you go for any faith, because the pyro flame has an int floor. This opens up some good utility spells. Snag the gimmicky poo poo off Orbeck to get the slumbering ring which when combined with hidden body lets you can stealth through a bunch of stuff to get pyro tomes and items.

Great Chaos Fireball vs Chaos Bed Vestiges (aka forbidden sun) is personal preference. Don't forget you can cast dark spells from any school pretty well. Gnaw, Black Fire Orb, Dark Weapon/Onyx Blade are all good options too. The Crystal Chime should also let you do some meaty lightning stakes if for some reason an enemy is immune to dark, fire, bleed, AND toxic.

Edit: Dark or Chaos bident is a good weapon also, witch's locks are silly but kind of fun (if only the WA was less annoying to use)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
BATTLE TORCH for coolest pyromancer weapon

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When can I start the DLCs and what's a good level to be to start them? I kind of want to make as much headway in them as I can ASAP to get cool stuff instead of just getting gear I'm not going to use at the very end of the game.

Is lightning or blessed going to be noticeably better than the other on the saint bident for a faith/strength character?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

When can I start the DLCs and what's a good level to be to start them? I kind of want to make as much headway in them as I can ASAP to get cool stuff instead of just getting gear I'm not going to use at the very end of the game.

Is lightning or blessed going to be noticeably better than the other on the saint bident for a faith/strength character?

You only need to beat Vordt and the Crystal Sage to get to the first DLC, so you can get there really early and pick up a lot of cool stuff and crafting mats if you run through. It's gonna be hard to actually fight stuff though, since it's not really tuned for how early it's possible to get there.

The second DLC is only accessible at the end of the game or after you complete the first DLC. If you want to get to the second DLC early you have to defeat one of the hardest boss fights in the series at a low level and uh, yeah. I did that once and never again :v:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Digirat posted:

If you're going str/faith I'd go for the lothric knight greatsword (either blessed/lightning, or heavy depending on whether you want to bother with lightning blade or not) It hits like a train and has pretty versatile movesets. The 2h r2 and rolling attack are both a poke. The R1 is consistently swipes for both 1h/2h with the R2 being pokes and overhead smashes. One of the things about a lot of non-ultra greatswords is while I like the rolling/running attacks I hate that horizontal/vertical swings usually reverse when 1 or two handing the weapon (though there isn't much reason the 2h the MLGS)

Edit: Other good str/faith weapons are Bident (obv), Dragonslayer Axe (easy to miss) or Dragonslayer Greataxe which has an extremely silly and fun weapon art

Cory in the Blouse fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 23, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Level int to 22ish before you go for any faith, because the pyro flame has an int floor. This opens up some good utility spells. Snag the gimmicky poo poo off Orbeck to get the slumbering ring which when combined with hidden body lets you can stealth through a bunch of stuff to get pyro tomes and items.

ugh, I never knew this. I was hoping I could at least do some extra work with pyromancies on this character without spreading it even more thin and having to level int too.

Everything about this game's treatment of faith feels like revenge for dark souls 2.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

peeve: people using my summon sign that is directly in front of the boss door and then turning around and trying to waste my time running around doing other random poo poo like ganking invaders

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You can just crystal out of those of you really want to send the message.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Buried alive posted:

Less than 30% weight gives you more distance on your roll and jump attacks. According to fextralife equipment load has no other effects under 70%, so if your current load out is working then that's as good as it's going to get, game mechanics wise.

You should totally try playing around with an equip load at less than 30% at some point though. The roll distance difference isn't huge, but it feels amazing. Speckled stoneplate ring and ring of steel protection can help with damage mitigation.

Maleh-Vor posted:

The important part is reaching smoldering lake as soon as possible. I would just go for 20 to 27 vit, any weapons or armor you're comfortable with and the minimum melee stats to use them. Then go for 20 attunement, intelligence and faith, usually as needed for spells. Raw axe is good enough, but caestus is pretty fun. Boulder heave is a fun pyromancy that does a lot of damage and is available at Farron Keep.

Then do demon ruins and smoldering lake and you are set. Use great chaos fire orb or chaos bed vestiges and watch how the game became easy mode.

Great Chaos Fireball vs Chaos Bed Vestiges (aka forbidden sun) is personal preference. Don't forget you can cast dark spells from any school pretty well. Gnaw, Black Fire Orb, Dark Weapon/Onyx Blade are all good options too. The Crystal Chime should also let you do some meaty lightning stakes if for some reason an enemy is immune to dark, fire, bleed, AND toxic.

Edit: Dark or Chaos bident is a good weapon also, witch's locks are silly but kind of fun (if only the WA was less annoying to use)

Thanks muchly guys :)

I was thinking of getting a Raw claw weapon of some kind for style points but I may save that for my Dex run

Main play through DLc: ugh the worst part of dying to sister whats it is having to sit through her loving cut scenes over and over

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I am having a miserable time with NG+ Champ right now. He's almost never doing his parriable attacks for high-whiff-to-kick and high-whiff-to-shoulder.

I'm not sure if it's the uneven terrain causing it or if he actually has a few attacks that intentionally go over your head so you go for a parry and leave yourself wide open to eat poo poo.

E: IT WORKED! I cried about it online long enough to rest my thumbs and win. Still had tons of horizontal swipes go over my head though.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 23, 2018