Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Len posted:

I will continue to watch movies where The Rock (verb) (noun). It could be plans a wedding and I'd watch it.

"The Rock takes care of secret lovechild" was an actual movie he made with the director of Paul Blart Mall Cop 2.

He also did ballet in that movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vpHlyAMN8k
I want a whole movie where The Rock plays a huge swole faerie (that is not The Tooth Fairy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The MSJ posted:

"The Rock takes care of secret lovechild" was an actual movie he made with the director of Paul Blart Mall Cop 2.

He also did ballet in that movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vpHlyAMN8k
I want a whole movie where The Rock plays a huge swole faerie (that is not The Tooth Fairy).

I forgot about that movie entirely it doesn't appear to be on streaming but Tooth Fairy is so I know what I'm about to watch.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Len posted:

I forgot about that movie entirely it doesn't appear to be on streaming but Tooth Fairy is so I know what I'm about to watch.

It's weird to remember that transitional stage where he was very big, but not as gigantic as he presently is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Casimir Radon posted:

Not that I've heard. He's some weirdo from Brazil.

Brazil, a country infamous for its lack of weird Nazis.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Len posted:

I watched The Game Plan on Asian Netflix.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

It all comes back to Godzilla as the trailer for the new anime movie Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-SeQD22Csc

Godzilla: City on the Edge of Forever would be cooler

The Cameo posted:

God no, there's no way I want to try to put together an OP of all of that.

Instead, here's a dump of news articles about several issues in the industry:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-anime-business-20170701-story.html - this concerns the streaming platforms and how they are potentially going to affect the marketplace for US licensing, which is already on the ropes after the anime bubble popped in the mid-2000s and killed a bunch of distributors, which - as one can imagine - is surely only going to cause more problems for the animation studios

https://www.nippon.com/en/currents/d00337/ - this talks about how the industry, from prestige studios like Ghibli (although Ghibli has a reputation as a horrible place to work - even Goro Miyazaki, Hayao's own son, went "I can't loving deal with this") down to the bottom of the industry, are struggling to find new local talent and are outsourcing more and more of the in-betweens, which is traditionally the training ground for new animators

http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/05/26/20-year-anime-veteran-reveals-industrys-shocking-wage-issue/ - here's an article about a long-time animator having tweeted about how it's hard as hell to make ends meet - even after 20 years in the industry

http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/05/25/one-in-every-four-anime-studios-are-bleeding-money/ - an article linked in the previous article that explains why that might be a problem, as one in four studios are in the red

https://kotaku.com/average-anime-industry-salaries-get-depressing-1774852881 - a Kotaku East article about a survey done in 2017 concerning pay - in-betweeners make like one grand more than what the Shirobako infographic listed in 2014

https://zakitakubu.wordpress.com/2014/07/23/how-much-do-japanese-voice-actors-actress-get-paid/ - an article covering a news story about voice actor pay - as it turns out, I had misread about Hollywood film dubbing; it actually pays even less than anime. But video games is still the payout king.

https://chikorita157.com/2015/11/19/the-dark-side-behind-the-glamor-or-why-being-a-voice-actor-in-japan-is-difficult/ - a little more information about voice acting and the pains of working.

Basically, once you start digging on the animation side, you can find a lot of info. The voice acting side is seriously under covered, though, so there's some piecing together of this fact and that fact and paying attention to just how much this or that person works (once you follow a few on Twitter you begin to realize how much they work) to make the bigger picture for them clearer (the one thing that does get hammered in every article is "junior" VAs make like $120-$150 an episode, and A-listers can pull in about $500 per - and most of the people below A and B-list are probably working part time jobs to make ends meet, which is somewhat of a luxury compared to animators who are swamped with their "day job"). But the stories are scattered over a decade or more in some cases - I tried to pull as recent stuff as I could here, because it's hard to verify/expect how true a 2009 article remains, although given Japan's general malaise economically even between then and now, it's got reasonably good odds.

I would also imagine that, if you look in the right places, there's been some investigation from local news. After all, all these English-language articles are disseminated from a Japanese source somewhere.

Most anime is poo poo anyway, and supply is too high so price has dropped. After a few studios go under maybe wages will rise.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Godzilla: City on the Edge of Forever would be cooler

Most anime is poo poo anyway, and supply is too high so price has dropped. After a few studios go under maybe wages will rise.

When even prestigious stuff with a loyal fanbase like Berserk is getting utter poo poo as adaptations, something has gone wrong.

It's funny to go back and watch super pulpy, trashy 90s anime that, despite being juvenile as hell, were quite well animated. Yeah, they were full of exploding heads and gratuitous titties, but they were well animated exploding heads and big titties. Is that just a product of a perceived higher demand creating a much greater supply?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowman_McK posted:

When even prestigious stuff with a loyal fanbase like Berserk is getting utter poo poo as adaptations, something has gone wrong.

It's funny to go back and watch super pulpy, trashy 90s anime that, despite being juvenile as hell, were quite well animated. Yeah, they were full of exploding heads and gratuitous titties, but they were well animated exploding heads and big titties. Is that just a product of a perceived higher demand creating a much greater supply?

IIRC, a lot of the better animated short films of the 80s and early 90s were funded to promote laserdisc, beta, and VHS players. The producers didn't care so much if the final product made money as long as it looked good on whatever media player they were trying to sell. So, there was suddenly funding for a lot of animator's hobby projects without the oversight that'd usually come along with that. As a result there was a lot of juvenile and/or incomprehensible -- but gorgeously animated -- trash produced by people who didn't necessarily know how to tell a story but who could drat sure draw a mean titty.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

It was skeletons in the ban, and its not a real always enforced thing; its an arbitrary law they use to cudgel foreign properties with when they want to and make exceptions when they dont. Same thing about banning time travel stories.
Like any and all bans on anything that isn't "shittalking President Winnie the Pooh" in China, they're less bans and more excuses to solicit bribes and arbitrarily shitcan anything or anyone they don't like.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm kind of stunned, what the hell did they make of the references? was it just pretty much a parade of random cool poo poo to them?
..... gently caress me

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

IIRC, a lot of the better animated short films of the 80s and early 90s were funded to promote laserdisc, beta, and VHS players. The producers didn't care so much if the final product made money as long as it looked good on whatever media player they were trying to sell. So, there was suddenly funding for a lot of animator's hobby projects without the oversight that'd usually come along with that. As a result there was a lot of juvenile and/or incomprehensible -- but gorgeously animated -- trash produced by people who didn't necessarily know how to tell a story but who could drat sure draw a mean titty.

That makes a lot of sense. On the subject, everybody should watch the uncut version of Urotsukidōji just to marvel at the fact that 'holy poo poo, this was someone's loving job, someone was paid to animate that woman's vagina turning into a fanged tentacle.' You can just kind of marvel at the fact that it exists.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

It's best with poorly-translated dubs recorded in France by English actors doing questionable American accents.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's best with poorly-translated dubs recorded in France by English actors doing questionable American accents.

Case in point...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

Cyber City Oedo 808 is a treasure made better by a bunch of British dub actors 15ing it up. They even start inventing new profanities after they run out of Carlin's Seven Words.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Young Freud posted:

Case in point...

Cyber City Oedo 808 is a treasure made better by a bunch of British dub actors 15ing it up. They even start inventing new profanities after they run out of Carlin's Seven Words.

Or:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

I don't really know much about animation, but what's the difference that makes older cartoons (whether Japanese, American or otherwise) look like they have different shades and tones while newer ones always look really "shiny". For example, compare an old episode of Dragon Ball Z to the remake version in Dragon Ball Kai. What's changed?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Likely you're looking at the difference between painted cels and digital coloring.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

END ME SCOOB posted:

Likely you're looking at the difference between painted cels and digital coloring.

Probably other factors, too, such as OAV versus TV animation (TV animation tends to be more simple, less rendered, and less intensively animated than OAVs and theatrical films) and the proliferation of toon-shaded 3DCG and computer-aided animation in the industry, but a lot of differences seen in older animation were artifacts of the process, like cells casting a slight shadow, or various in-camera tricks like double exposure to create motion blur or vignetting in the camera.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gatts posted:

Super Troopers getting it done, Quiet has legs and the Rock is sinking

Looks like Super Troopers 2 blew it's load on opening night and then rolled over and went to sleep:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2018-04-22&p=.htm

A Quiet Place is still chugging along nicely and was probably #1 for the weekend. Rampage isn't setting the world on fire but it's hanging in there and it might pull a Jumanji 2 and pick up steam once word of mouth gets around, just as long as nothing huge opens this week.

/check upcoming films calendar

Avengers: Infinity War? Okay LOL Rampage is done for.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Will Infinity War make more money than Black Panther in America? Worldwide, certainly, but Black Panther's set a high bar for it domestically.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Will Infinity War make more money than Black Panther in America? Worldwide, certainly, but Black Panther's set a high bar for it domestically.

Current projections show that it might make a quarter billion domestic on opening weekend, it's gonna be huuuuge. It's also going to feature the characters from Black Panther fairly prominently so it's going to draw in all the people who bought tickets to the first Avengers plus a large chunk of the people who went to Black Panther but don't usually go to superhero movies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If Dwayne Johnson remade The Day the Clown Cried, I'd probably still watch it. I'm sure I don't have to worry about that happening, but still...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably gonna see Rampage tomorrow. Weird that it's one of the only video game movies I've seen where the changes from the source material are drastic and seemingly for the better, it's just weird. Kinda doesn't hurt that the title and concept lend itself to a bit of a throwback B-movie style monster movie. And George being a gorilla who is confused and horrified by his transformation seems like it'd work amazingly well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And George being a gorilla who is confused and horrified by his transformation seems like it'd work amazingly well.

George totally steals the scene from The Rock several times, he's great.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Current projections show that it might make a quarter billion domestic on opening weekend, it's gonna be huuuuge. It's also going to feature the characters from Black Panther fairly prominently so it's going to draw in all the people who bought tickets to the first Avengers plus a large chunk of the people who went to Black Panther but don't usually go to superhero movies.

gently caress, that is depressing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s awesome.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

It’s awesome.

Are you a shareholder?

Have you moved on from your emotional reactions to films and onto emotional reactions to the financial state of their parent companies?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It’s awesome.

Why?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

quote:

Oh no, a sequel to a movie that I didn't like but that's popular with the nerds is going to make all of the money. There won't be any money left for the movies that I like but that those dirty nerds didn't like.

:goonsay:

It's me. I'm the tasteless mass consumer who loves this kind of poo poo. Avengers 3 looks like what I want from an action movie. I understand all of the many, many, many arguments that posters have against the MCU films but ultimately I still enjoy the hell out of them.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 23, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to be consumed by Disney. May it’s maw stretch wide.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
"MMO but real" is a huge huge entertainment genre in a bunch of places that aren't the US & Ready Player One was a blockbuster version of that. It's frankly not surprising that it'd do well internationally. Other than the Shining segment knowledge of what's being referenced is not important at any point. (I guess seeing a bunch of kids flailing on the street being a bunch of flailing master chiefs in game is less funny.)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When movies you like do well financially it creates an incentive for companies to make more in a similar vein.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

When movies you like do well financially it creates an incentive for companies to make more in a similar vein.

I don't think Marvel needs any more incentive, no one else is actually trying, and if they wanted to I think the incentive has already been made fairly evident over the past decade.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Young Freud posted:

Case in point...

Cyber City Oedo 808 is the coolest anime ever made. There's plenty of better anime out there, but Cyber City Oedo 808 is the coolest. Also a rarity - the English dub and international soundtrack is waaaaaaay better than the Japanese one. The Japanese soundtrack is a jazzier more upbeat kind of deal that just feels really off next to everything else about it.

Also I sort of like that it ended up not spawning any spin off* sequels/continuations/whatever since all three parts together are about the length of one movie. So it's easy to show someone the whole thing so more people realize how awesome it is.

*There was a fourth episode presented in the form of a PC Engine CD visual novel with some parts where you walk from place to place with very simple graphics. But the visual novel parts do a pretty good job of capturing the anime's look all things considered (it's mostly talking heads):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfVncKydxF8

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Why not?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Looks like Super Troopers 2 blew it's load on opening night and then rolled over and went to sleep:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2018-04-22&p=.htm

A Quiet Place is still chugging along nicely and was probably #1 for the weekend. Rampage isn't setting the world on fire but it's hanging in there and it might pull a Jumanji 2 and pick up steam once word of mouth gets around, just as long as nothing huge opens this week.

/check upcoming films calendar

Avengers: Infinity War? Okay LOL Rampage is done for.

I'm honestly surprised Super Troopers 2 opened big but I can believe that every man, woman and child that saw the first went to see the second the day it came out.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I, for one, am shocked (shocked!) that Super Troopers 2 performed worse on days that weren't 4/20.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm honestly surprised Super Troopers 2 opened big but I can believe that every man, woman and child that saw the first went to see the second the day it came out.

Well yeah, I mean who else would watch the sequel to Super Troopers?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Iron Crowned posted:

Well yeah, I mean who else would watch the sequel to Super Troopers?

I guess I'm surprised that that many people had seen Super Troopers 1 to begin with, even after a decade of being on home video.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Why not?
it seems odd to be that invested in the financial performance of a movie. like i get being glad that a movie you like does well but to be preemptively calling it "awesome" seems like homeslice has a very beige internal life.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TetsuoTW posted:

it seems odd to be that invested in the financial performance of a movie. like i get being glad that a movie you like does well but to be preemptively calling it "awesome" seems like homeslice has a very beige internal life.

The people who want a movie to be good and succeed are total vapid losers, unlike the interesting and fulfilled people who want a movie to be bad and fail.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guy Mann posted:

The people who want a movie to be good and succeed are total vapid losers, unlike the interesting and fulfilled people who want a movie to be bad and fail.

Isn't wanting movies to be bad and fail the whole point of this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

TetsuoTW posted:

It's sport team tribalism for cultural consumption.